Overall this was a reasonable enough hotel but certainly not five star. We paid the right price for what I would consider a four star property, so am satisfied with our booking but I wouldn't choose to stay here again unless price was my primary factor.
We arrived via Gold Coast Shuttle from Coolangatta airport. The hotel driveway, for the four days / nights we were here, was constantly blocked with coaches, minivans, taxis and random locals. Running the gauntlet of smokers puffing away in the designated smoking area outside the front door is never a good start for me, and entering the lobby reminded me of a new car salesroom; white tiles, white walls, cavernous ceiling. Oh, and a souvenir (tat) shop...
Front desk service was pleasant enough and we didn't eat in any of the restaurants, but the bar (and bar service) was a real let down. Gloomy and lacking in any atmosphere it boasted several TVs tuned to MTV 80s hits, news and sports. Depending on the night of the week you'll be sharing the bar with blokes on a bucks do, wedding party guests, lost couples searching for somewhere fun or ... no-one.
The location is fine (see below) and the room was adequate. If you decide to book, ask for a hinterland view; the hotel is about a block inland from the beach and there are a few damn big skyscrapers in the way of it and the ocean, but the view to the west over the canals and mountains is very nice indeed.
* about four blocks south of the main Surfers Paradise mall - close enough to walk easily, far enough to avoid disturbances.
* one block west of the beach - easy walking distance to the water.
* nice view from a hinterland (west facing) room.
* large room with twin queen size beds.
* pleasant decor with tea/coffee making facilities.
* despite (apparently) being a refurbished room, the bathroom was very tired - if you're tall like me, expect to do the usual bend-ze-knees to get your head under the (small) shower faucet.
* despite featuring a large wardrobe (but with only six hangers) there were no drawers or shelves to store underwear, t-shirts, jumpers etc.
* no desk in the room (you're only on holiday in Surfers apparently).
* right now (October 2013) there's road construction right in front of the hotel for the pending light rail; no major drama until you step outside where it's noisy, dusty and difficult to cross the road due to the the barricades.
* due to the roadworks, the hotel pool (which is outside on the first floor, right above the construction) is not a relaxing environment.