“Awesome pool and good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mantra Sun City

You added Mantra Sun City to your Saves list
Mantra Sun City
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Ocean Avenue, Surfers Paradise, Queensland 4217, Australia   |
Ranked #24 of 58 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Awesome pool and good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed here in November 2012 and chose it mainly due to the photos of the awesome pool as we had 4 children with us. The pool and water slides are a great attraction and there was a life guard on duty when the slides were in action which was great. There is also an indoor pool, a spa and a gym. We had a great view from our balconies and the apartment was huge.

In general we had a great stay, the furnishings were a bit old and dated but I had seen the pics so it was as expected. The only minor things I would criticise were that the 'king' bed is actually two singles that don't seem to stay together properly. Upon investigating how to keep the beds together we found other peoples underwear under the bed. The shower and kitchen were not very clean but not too bad and the mid stay service was very slack, they didn't even vacuum the carpet. Something very odd was that the bathroom/ensuite had a huge window into the bedroom with no curtain and I found that very strange. Upon looking through the wardrobes we found the curtain and put it up ourselves.

We had foxtel and lots of channels. The apartment had everything we needed for a holiday with kids, including washing machine, dryer, ironing board, bath. The bus stops to the theme parks was very close and the location to the beach was close as well. It was about a 10-15 minute walk to the main shops.

I would stay here again as it was good value for money and great for the kids and convenient to everything we needed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Nikita_MSS, Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Chupachup64,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Mantra Sun City.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the facilites provided at Mantra Sun City and that you and your family had an enjoyable holiday.

Please accept my apologies that the housekeeping service you were provided with during your stay was inconsistent. The issues you raised have been addressed with our Housekeeping team and additional training has been implemented accordingly.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mantra Sun City again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed in the 3 bedroom appartment and found it to be very spacious and well equipped. The staff were lovely and the breakfast buffet was plentiful. Car parking was tricky very narrow and we had a bingle with our hired vehicle. Children loved the slides and would have been content to stay at the hotel pool rather than line up for 2 hours to use wet and wild slides. Thank you for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: The smaller rooms are very small but the appartments are very spacious.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear 51Annie,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience at Mantra Sun City.

We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed the many facilities the hotel has to offer and we look forward to welcoming back to Mantra Sun City very soon.
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Was really looking forward to a couple days at surfers paradise as a couple. Luckily there is plenty else to do at gold coast then stay at your accommodation.

Staff at check in were friendly, tried to accommodate our request to stay an extra night but we couldn't afford the $350/night rate. Parking was ample, it was just a pity that the car park security door broke for the duration of our stay, not a huge problem, but shows the kind of shape this place is in.

Upon heading to our floor level, we were met with an absolutely putrid smell. Turns out the bins hadn't been emptied in a while and had stunk out the floor. Our room was not effected though, so we unpacked our stuff. I decided to have a shower to clean up, the bathroom and shower were a bit dirty also and there was water on the floor already. By this stage we were starting to ponder our choice of accommodation. Went to put some food in the fridge and was met with another horrible smell, this time in the form of a yellow liquid that had been spilt all through the fridge. A call to reception and a lovely cleaner came and wiped out the fridge and shower for us, but due to the smell of bleach we got straight out of there. The area outside the lifts smelt for the three days we were there, and got worse cause theres no air flow around the floors. The aircons can only be used for 22" and above, or you face a $500 (or something like that) fine. Quilts and linen in the cupboards were thrown on the floor, not folded. You have to pay $35/day if you want room service. Included breakfast included is ok, nothing great, for example the bacon is off-cuts only, no rashers. ATM was broken also. Just everything in general needs a good clean and some money put into the place. I honestly stayed at a backpackers in byron the night before that was cleaner and nicer.

Room Tip: Maybe they clean the penthouse? But I wouldn't chance it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Damian S, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear BH3 Surf,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at Mantra Sun City Resort, Surfers Paraidse.

We certainly appreciate your comments and certainly thank you for your kind words regarding our staff.

I offer our apologies regarding the basement carpark security door failing for the duration of your stay, this is most unfortunate however I can advise this is now fixed. As maintenance issues are bought to our attention, they are attended to with urgency so as not to affect the operation of the resort.

There is no need to empty the bins on each level as there is a refuse shute that travels from the top of the building to the basement where refuse lands in a dumpster. The recycling is emptied twice a day on these floors and I can advise that there is ventilation running adjacent to the lift wells on each floor.

Once again I offer my apologies regarding the shower situation along with the refridgerator; I"m very pleased the team were able to action these items for you immediately.

As per Queensland Government and Energy Suppliers recommendations, air conditioning temperatures should not be used below 24 degrees, this is a recommendation only and we advise guests of this so that their system is working at it's peak and not in overload stress trying to cool a room to 16y degrees when the outside temperature is up as high as 35 degrees. This puts unncessary load on the units causing them to overload.

There is however no fine as you have stated.

The Mantra brand is all about choice, should you wish to utilise your apartment without a daily service, then you do not pay for this in your daily rate, should you wish for a daily service, there is a fee and that is totally up to the consumers choice.

I am terribly sorry that your quilts and additional linen were not folded properly in your room, I assure you I will speak to the housekeeping teams regarding this.

The property has five full time public area cleaners working around the clock cleaning the property; I assure you that the property is clean, although the refurbishment of the common property and lobby areas in May / June of this year will provide a welcome uplift as you've mentioned in your review.

Once again I thank you for your feedback.

Best regards

Mantra Sun City
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed at the Mantra Sun City from the 7-12th January on one of the 5th floor one bedroom apartments. Initially I was a little worried from looking at the below reviews but I definately did not come across any of the problems that have been brought up and was very satisfied with my stay.

The one bedroom apartments are very clean and tidy, with furniture being comfortable to sleep and sit on. The appliances included in the kitchen included an oven, microwave and stove, so we were able to have some meals at the apartment! I don't know if other reviewers were unlucky with having a bad room or were merely expecting modern decor. If you wanted that, you should have stayed at a higher priced hotel!

The staff at Sun City were always welcoming, and were more than happy to assist wherever needed. On the first night we discovered that our fridge wasn't cooling properly, as well as having a minor bug issue (which is not unusual to find in hot, humid places). Only a few hours after we reported both issues they were fixed that same day.

Facilities = Amazing. They have two outdoor pools, one of which is a lagoon pool layout, with two waterslides, two spas and an indoor pool. The Aztec theme is also really cool, definately made the stay. There is an outdoor bar, with a games room attached to it for those days you want to laze around the resort.

With our package we had an all-inclusive buffet breakfast for the rest of our stay. It includes bacon, eggs, pastries, fresh muffins and fruit and pancakes to say the least. I can definately say I wasn't left hungry! I also had a one hour massage with the Calmer Therapies day spa within the hotel, and couldn't recommend this more for those staying.

Overall I am very happy with my stay and would definately be staying here again on my next trip to Surfers!

Room Tip: If you are really worried about getting a "run down" room, call the resort and request for...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Melissa S,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback in relation to your experience at Mantra Sun City Resort; greatly appreciated.

We appreciate your feedback regarding your rooms and am pleased that your room was clean, comfortable and the kitchen was suitable for your stay.

Also, thank you for your valuable feedback regarding our team & the facilites provided at Mantra Sun City.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mantra Sun City in the near future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

NO STARS RATING. Room nothing to what I expected. I would NOT reccomend anyone to stay here. Step back many years in time! Very, very poor quality furnishings. Blah blah blah enough wasted time said and done on mantra sun city

• Stayed January 2013
Damian S, General Manager at Mantra Sun City, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Renrah,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent experience at Mantra Sun City Resort, I'm very sorry that your experience was not of a positive nature.

Some very positive news is the property is about to embark on a major common area refurbishment in May / June of this year therefore adding needed enhancements to the existing infrastrucutre.

We are also working very closely with the individual owners of the units to ensure that they upgrade their furniture and fixtures to bring them up to a refresh standard with urgency.

We hope to have each and every unit refurbished by the years end.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed in a 3 bedroom appartment for 5 nights in between Xmas & new year for $800 per night. Where do I start so here goes
- room wasn't ready for 2 pm we waited untill 4.30 ( we had to keep going to reception as they didn't even let us know when our room was ready )
- there was no double beds in each of the rooms they were just single beds put together ( appalling for the price )
- all the cupboards in the kitchen were lined with alfoil hiding the mould
- no wine opener
- out butter melted in the fridge with it turned up to max
- furniture ripped & dirty
- oven door didn't close

Overall a crappy experience at a high price I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

Dear Brisgold,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent experience at Mantra Sun City Resort.

I am very sorry that your stay with us did not provide you with a positive experience; I'm extremely sorry that your room was not ready at the check in time of 2pm, this is very disappointing.

As with most International Hotels, the European style bedding is utilised for mixed use accommodation, ie a group of singles staying or a group of couples, therefore allowing more accommodation types to stay at this resort.

We are constantly working with owners to refurbish where necessary which is the case with your allocated room. Your feedback is of valuable assistance to us when talking with these owners.

We thank you for bringing the maintenance issues you experienced concerning different items in the apartment. Unfortunately maintenance issues do arise from time to time and measures are in place to ensure such issues are rectified promptly.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Our first family holiday in years I wanted to make it special and splashed out on a 2 bed apartment for my hubby and 2 kids, paying over $1500 FOR ONLY 3 NIGHTS ACCOM!!!. After booking and paying in full approx 5 months earlier I stumbled across the trip adviser web site. Having looked up the reviews I became concerned about the quality of accom I booked. I called them straight away to confirm we would have a newly referb room on a highfloor with ocean views, all of which I was told we would have. We drove over 3000km to reach our accom and was given a room on the 1st floor!!! We couldn't believe it, I could have holidayed at home on waterfront for $150/day but instead I'm stuck with an average room over looking a busy road looking into brick walls of opossing high rises. Speaking to the manager and central renovations all who more or less said too bad! We were happy to stay in the apartment, but given the premium price we paid and the confirmed requests for high level ocean views which we didn't get on the 1st floor we thought a reduced rate wasn't asking too much. In short, once u hand ur money over to these vultures they couldn't give a dam!! If I ran my business in the same manner we would be out of business!!. Many sacrifices were made by my whole family to make this holiday possible, now we are left extremely disappointed and ripped off, we can't wait to leave Mantra Sun City!!

Dear Catcoops,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback regarding your recent experience at Mantra Sun City Resort.

I sincerely apologise that we were unable to facilitate your request for an ocean view apartment during the peak period of the summer holidays.

Whilst I appreciate your request was made 5 months earlier than your arrival date, the availability does not allow us to guarantee rooms. During the period in question, the property ran at 100% occupancy not allowing us to facilitate any room moves.

Whilst commentary is made that the Central Reservations team and Management did not care about your complaint, this is untrue and I assure you that we empathise with you, however there was nothing that could be done, hence we never guarantee rooms or views for this very reason.

The Central Reservations team and the property staff have done nothing more than ensure that you have abided by the terms and conditions that you agreed to when confirming your purchase.

Mantra Sun City Resort

Been to Mantra Sun City? Share your experiences!