“Best Theme, experience and food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of QT Gold Coast

You added QT Gold Coast to your Saves list
QT Gold Coast
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7 Staghorn Avenue, Surfers Paradise, Queensland 4217, Australia (Formerly Gold Coast International Hotel)   |
Ranked #5 of 58 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Melbourne
“Best Theme, experience and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

First stay here, and wow! This hotel has a 50/60's beach theme and it is incredibly well done. The staff are fantastic and friendly and the food is very good, especially the outstanding Bazaar restaurant, they even have choccy milk for breakfast! The lemonade on arrival is refreshing and the overall experience is great. My wife loved the bed, she wants me to buy one! The Dream Bed is great and as a Rydges user quite regularly, they are comfy. The rooms look nice but are slightly limited by the fact that this is a refurbishment of an older hotel so the size of the bathroom is slightly smaller than expected in newer hotels. But it certainly didn't cause us any concerns and the crazy hairdryer took my wife's attention.
As mentioned above, this is a refurbishment of an older hotel and as such they are still perfecting some areas. I spoke with one of the key managers who told me the car park (as mentioned in the negative review below) is well on its way to its refurbishment and should be completed soon. They also told me about renovations to other areas such as the pool and the Japanese restaurant which will further enhance this hotel.
Location is also good as it is within five minutes walk of central Surfers but far enough away to avoid any annoying behavior. $8 for car parking is outstanding.
One more thing, I am a Rydges Priority Guest member and the discounts are good at this hotel so sign up, it costs nothing.
Overall, it is a great hotel. The new Hilton had slightly better rooms but you just can't beat the overall style of the QT and the smile certainly is welcome!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed in the school holidays and had an excellent rate - we were two families. It's right near the beach (we walked there to swim) and Surfer's Paradise main drag (walked there for dinner and lunches) and also about 40 minutes to the theme parks (traffic was terrible because Gold Coast is building a monorail).

The hotel is theme and decor and service is all aligned - cool and hip and young. The bar fires up it's cool DJ at 5. Breakfast buffet is the best ever. And the buffet dinner was excellent - it's a very upmarket buffet - more like a Marche store.

Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Sea facing is great (we didn't have it) but the other side has a great view over the city. Also...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Came up for work and brought the fam and had the most amazing time at QT.
You can't really get a sense of the place from the website, but it's gotta be one of the coolest hotels around. As soon as you walk in you know you're somewhere different. Staff in boardshorts and blazers. And a real buzz in the air. The concierges went above and beyond and restaurant staff did too.
The place looks so awesome, has brilliant restaurants and bar and the experience is complimented by the super happy, friendly staff.
Only gap is the pool, which is quite standard, but still very good. And with the amazing beach just a few minutes walk, it's not such a problem.

Stayed October 2013
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

The foyer is lovely with quirky staff/uniforms and funky decor. We weren't impressed with the $8 per day parking fee. We stayed on level 3. They must have had some water troubles as there was drying machines in the middle of the floors at both ends and it smelt quite musky. The room was lovely with two BIG beds which were impressive but aweful to sleep on. Far too soft for us. EVERYTHING in the room is for sale at the shop in the foyer which was cool... expensive... but cool! The mini-bar was cool and moderately priced. We had a giggle at the 'Intimates Pack'. The thongs/robes/hair dryer - all funky! Room service looked good with good prices although we didn't get a chance to try. The in-house movies at $17.95 each were definately off the cards! Needs an exhaust fan in the bathroom as it becomes like a sauna very fast!

The Pool - small but functional. Would have been nice to try out the pool bar but it was closed. The only thing we didn't like was we went for a spa after dinner and then had to walk back through the foyer - where everyone is enjoying their meals/drinks at stingray in their fancy clothes - to get to the lift to our rooom. VERY EMBARASSING! Oh and if you want to borrow pool towels make sure you take them back each day or you will be charged!

Bazaar for the buffet dinner was nice but I don't think we will attend again considering the price. I also think there should be food labels to let you know what the choices are. I had a not so nice HOT HOT HOT curry thinking it was something like butter chicken. We did the breakfast buffet at Bazaar also which was A+++ We loved it.

Nice and close to the beach too.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I can't recall a more comfortable bed or a bigger TV in a hotel room. Factor in quirky styling, the fabulous Bazaar Marketplace and comparatively cheap parking and you have arguably the best value hotel stay on the Gold Coast.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I sorry for the delayed review, but I stayed at the this hotel in Jan 2013. I'm blessed to travel a bit and this is one of the top 3 places I've stayed in the world!!! Service is second to none! Can't wait for my next visit!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

The décor here is inspiring. The little touches of quirkiness everywhere you look was eye candy.
My perception due to the funky décor was that QT would be buzzing with the younger generation. I was wrong, their was a good mix of older couples, families and the young.
In saying that they have the funkiest looking bar downstairs called Stingray that my husband and I wanted to go too. If only we didn't have the kids.

We stayed in the mountain view room king bed which was comfortable. The quirkiness of QT followed through to the rooms. Their is an espresso coffee maker that's $1.50au for every capsule or you can opt for chamomile and lavender tea, green tea and the usual black teas.
Compliments to the chef, room service was great. It ended up being better than a restaurant we went to on the strip and much cheaper. We had trout sandwhich, trio of chips and pizza's.

The Bazzar restaurant was one of the best buffet's I've had. In saying that this is buffet food so I'm certain you could find awesome food at this price at other fancy restaurants but have it served to you instead. Unless you want to scoff yourself that's a different story.

I recommend trying a bit of everything even if you wouldn't normally. For someone who loves their greens, the salad selection was yummo. On a sad note, I was told by our helpful waiter that we had to try the dumplings. They were not good. I was really disappointed at the chef responsible for them because when he served me he made it obvious that he did not want to. He dropped the dumplings and pork buns before he gave them to me and scoffed at me as if it were my fault. I'm thinking he didn't want me eating them because he stuffed them up. Which I can empathise with. I just intended on having a good experience for the money we spent.

On a good note all the other staff were very hospitable and helpful. I'm not a massive meat eater but the meat station was also yum. Due to the business that comes with buffets, this is not for those wanting an intimate romantic evening, although the décor and dim lights would be perfect for it.
Parking is offered for $8 or $9 a day. Which is cheaper than parking on the streets with meters.
Swimming pool is small but this is not a resort and the beach is a quick walk down the road.

QT has inspired me to look out for quirky hotels just like theirs. The experience of this hotel became much apart of the fun that our family was looking for in a holiday.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to QT Gold Coast? Share your experiences!