“Excellent Choice” 5 of 5 stars
Review of QT Gold Coast

You added QT Gold Coast to your Saves list
QT Gold Coast
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7 Staghorn Avenue, Surfers Paradise, Queensland 4217, Australia (Formerly Gold Coast International Hotel)   |
Ranked #5 of 58 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Gladstone, Australia
“Excellent Choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Wow. What a fun place this is to stay - it's a hotel with fantastic atmosphere. From the moment we (2 adults 2 kids) arrived every single staff member was friendly & helpful. The rooms are great & the beds are amazing. Shower was excellent with plenty of hot water. There's a tiny bar fridge with lots of mini bar items but we still had a shelf we could use ourselves. We had room service for lunch one day & it was tasty and arrived quickly. Had a meal at Bazaar (one of the Hotel restaurants) & it was excellent. Pool was great too. We generally just want a decent, clean hotel with helpful staff & QT is certainly that but so much more. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
sasrowlandsQT, Manager at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Blueysmrs,

Woweeeeeeeeeeee. That is a lot of reviews in a lot of different cities! We are completely chuffed that you gave us such a glowing report card.

It sounds like we offered you everything you needed, and more. That's what we are here for, and I'm very glad that you got to experience us.

Please come back :)

QT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Gorgeous retro style hotel - lovely staff on the front desk to greet us after a long drive. We were offered complimentary lemonade on arrival and told it would be sent to our room - it never came - this was my only fault with the hotel. The rooms were cosy, beautifully set up and very comfortable. The room service menu appeared to be good value but we chose to walk into the city centre to eat instead.
The pool area is very comfortable with a lovely big spa!
All in all - a fantastic hotel which I would recommend to everyone!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Ariane215,

Another fantastic review! We are really on a roll. I'm delighted that we had such a wonderful impact on your holiday and that all of our promises were delivered on.

I'm so sorry about the lemonade. We seem to have runs of perfect service on this, and then a review pops up that lets me know some deliveries are slipping through the cracks and this is not OK, especially considering everything else was so wonderful for you during your stay.

We will get this right next time you come!

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed at the QT Gold Coast to treat my best friend to a birthday weekend at the Rugby Sevens tournament. From check in, we were pretty impressed with the cool decor and of course the fresh lemonade that arrived at our room. Additional nice touch was the personalized welcome card to wish us a good 'Birthday' weekend and macaroons.
I had paid a bit extra for the sea view, and it was well worth it. 16th floor looking out to the ocean was something we relished returning to each night and waking up each morning. The furnishings in the room were fun and comfortable - the bed was divine. The little table that I had to use to access some work on my laptop was lopsided, but that's a minor complaint.
The staff in the hotel were super friendly (particularly the hostesses in Bazaar restaurant). The concierge kind of failed the 'advice test' we laid out when looking for a lunch reco as he didn't seem to know anything outside what was in the hotel itself. But the main heart of Surfers is only a 5 minute walk away, so we sorted ourselves out.
The highlight of the hotel was Bazaar restaurant....we had dinner there the first night as part of the 3 night hotel package, and it was outstanding. More choices than you could possibly imagine. Then, we were lucky enough to have breakfast there each day as well, which was even better. HUGE selection. Favourites were the mushrooms (could have eaten a bowl full), the assortment of fresh juices, and my best friend loved the omelet station. The restaurant staff were also kind enough to help my friend out with a video for his foodie blog. We ordered from room service one night as well when we came home exhausted one night and that was also good.
In reference to StingRay, have to agree with an earlier review that the restrictions to get in were a bit ridiculous in a resort town. That said, even though we consider ourselves relatively young (30's), the appeal to go in when it was so loud you could barely hear each other was low. We ventured into surfers instead. It's too bad there is not another bar option in the hotel that still allows for some fun, but it is not as club like.
Enjoyed the pool on my last day - not the biggest you'll see, but perfectly suitable and quite quiet. Wish I had had time to enjoy the spa...next time!
Overall, a very cool hotel that definitely breaks the mold. Would definitely stay there again, and just think that some further thought into the night time experience would make this hotel even better than it is.

Room Tip: Spend the extra $ to get the seaview room...totally worth it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Leafsgirl77,

What an excellent and comprehensive review of the hotel. Thanks so much for taking the time to share this with all of the travellers who might come to our property. It is very much appreciated.

I will go through this point by point and make sure that any little hiccups (like our concierge not being able to help you!) are fixed before your next stay with us.

We hope to see you again as soon as you can make it back.

Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

This hotel delivers on 1950's retro style (including the descrimination)

The key issue is the relationship between the hotel itself and the hotel bar (StingRay), but we'll get to that in a second.

It must be said that the interior design and decor of this hotel is exceptional - the room was beautiful, the staff looked great and the buffet restaurant (Bazaar) was fantastic. But the hotel bar was a huge disappointment. The clientele were very drunk, cheaply dressed (including singlets, shorts and thongs at 8pm on a Friday) and badly behaved.

My girlfriend and I arrived at around 6pm to have a pre-dinner cocktail and stayed until 8pm. We were dressed accordingly (long pants, collared shirt) set up a tab and sat quietly chatting in the back corner of the bar.

At around 8pm while we sat horrified at the embarrassing behavior of other patrons, we were approached by two security guards followed quickly by the bar manager. At this time I was informed there was a dress code and I would need to roll the sleeves of my collared shirt down to cover the tattoos on my forearms, or I would need to leave.

This was said to be a blanket rule of "No Visible Tattoos".

This exchange was intimidating, embarrassing and badly handled by staff. It also only happened to us, and not to any of women in the bar who also had exposed tattoos. We mentioned to the bar manager that we were acually guests of the hotel and were promptly told that it did not matter. We opted to leave.

When drinking at a hotel bar, a hotel which you are paying to stay in and are behaving in a completely adult and sober manner, it is unacceptable that my girlfriend and I be approached by a bunch of meatheads and be told to shape up or ship out.

In retrospect I'm glad we left StingRay bar when we did. Judging by the bloodstains we saw on the cement outside the bar as we left QT on Sunday it seems that StingRay isn't so classy after all.

In the interest of positivity, a few suggestions for QT
* it's 2012 and you're a hotel on the Gold Coast so let's be realistic about tattoos. They are no longer an indicator of someone's socioeconomic status.
* Don't enforce a dress code rule about tattoos when you have MULTIPLE staff members with visible tattoos working behind your reception desk, in your restaurants and in your conceirge department.
* if there is a dress code, advise your guests BEFORE you let them spend their money in the bar
* Rebrief your bar managers, that guy was seriously rude.
* Descrimination isn't cool.

Stayed October 2012
sasrowlandsQT, Manager at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Hi mdbrennan,

Thanks for your review. Firstly I will apologise for the behaviour of the staff in terms of addressing this issue with you. We certainly don't believe that tattoos are by any means a negative, in fact I have them myself as do most of our staff (as you mentioned).

There is only one reason why this rule is in force, and it has nothing to do with the hotel or the bar. Every venue on the Gold Coast that works closely with the local authorities in terms of public safety has the same rule with regards to patrons not displaying visible tattoos. This is a clear mandate in terms of safety on the coast, and has a depth of reasoning way beyond that which I can publish on here. Do I agree? I won't publish that answer. Do we comply? Absolutely.

Whilst I won't apologise for the hotel in terms of enforcing this directive from the powers that be, I will say to you that you should not have, at any time, felt as though you were being targeted for your appearance, nor that we are enforcing some aesthetic rule of thumb that is a QT specific decision. Please accept our humblest apologies that this was the case, and we will work very hard to make sure that this does not happen again to anyone.

On a better note, it's awesome that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel, and that you loved our 50's styling (apart from the obvious annoyance in the backwards dealing of what was probably some very cool artwork on your arms).

Please try us again. We are all for personal expression (no such rules exist at our other QT Hotels), it's just that Surfers Paradise is a very strictly regulated environment.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed here for one night and would have stayed more if they had rooms available. From the greeting to the exit everything was great (although checkout was busy and took a while). The staff wear funky uniforms and the girls are made up and look fantastic. The rooms are great, loved the fitout. OMG the bed was the most comfortable one ever!. We were on the 22nd floor with a great view and the room was quiet, which we like. Had room service dinner, took a while but it was great food. Breakfast in the buffet was awesome. Would definitely recommend a stay here and we will be sure to visit again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear BCTSRacing,

It's so wonderful to hear that you loved your stay over GC600. We know that you guys had the pick of the bunch in terms of hotels for your stay over the racing week, and we would like to thank you again for choosing us. Thank goodness it was the right choice!.

We hope you guys get to come back and have some relaxation time on the off season.

Thanks again,

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

If you are unlucky to get a river view room, it's still pretty good, but nothing like the sea view. just sitting on the second floor restaurant to have breakfast and face to the sea is wonderful. The hotel service is excellent and the porter is polite and with nice smile. Definitely will go back again another day but with a sea view room. The Gold Coast name doesn't come from nowhere, it's GOLD.

Room Tip: Sea view if affrodable
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear NotVeryPickyAtAll,

What an awesome profile name! I bet you guys are a dream to take car of.

Because I grew up on the coast, I actually love the riverview rooms that look out over the mountains. I don't think I'll ever get sick of that view because it's so different from what you will usually see on the coast.

That's a lovely review and we thank you very much for sharing it.

Rockhampton, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Stayed for one night in this hotel with my husband, daughter and son inlaw, great hotel, fantastic location, rooms are clean and well stocked, bed very comfortable, just how I like it! View was ok, we were only on the forth floor but still a good view of the beach. Hotel was easy to find as it's just off the main drag and check in and parking were fuss free. We walked to a seafood restaurant for dinner and then back to the hotel because it was a beautiful night. In the morning (sunday) we went to breakfast in the hotel restaurant and this is my only gripe, there was more than enough to choose from as the buffet was huge, you could want for nothing....except a plate! we waited between 5 and 10 minutes for the plates to come out of the washer, the staff were very apologetic and eventually we were fed, apart from this glitch, I'd highly recommend this hotel and would definitely return again

Room Tip: High up for a fantastic view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear aussie_rose64,

Thanks so much for a near perfect review. OMG! I can't believe that you had to wait that long for a plate! Regardless of whether or not Bazaar was extremely busy (which it almost always is, with a mix of in house guests, and locals) that simply should not happen.

We will have a good look at that. Nothing would make me grumpier than not being able to get my hands on one of the fresh chocolate croissants as soon as I walked in! I think I'm addicted to them!

We would love to see you again soonest and will sort out the pesky plate problem straight away.

QT

Been to QT Gold Coast? Share your experiences!