“I cant wait to come back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise

You added Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise to your Saves list
Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Cnr Surfers Paradise Boulevard and Hanlan Street, Surfers Paradise, Queensland 4217, Australia   |
Ranked #23 of 58 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Ulverstone, Australia
“I cant wait to come back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

While booking our trip to Surfers Paradise we really had no idea where to stay, we consulted with a travel agency and they mentioned the Hotel Grand Chancellor.
We weren’t really sure what to expect.
Upon arriving we were greeted by friendly staff who were very welcoming, despite the fact that they were obviously quite busy.
We were given an upgrade on our room because they had been renovating and were given free breakfast passes for our entire stay.
The rooms are very accommodating and spacious. Our view was to-die-for.
The rooms are over all sound proof, although we did have one very noisy neighbour for the first two nights of our stay.
The hotel itself is incredibly clean, the gym facilities were excellent, the pool and spa outside were refreshing and ended our days perfectly!
The tennis court was a great work out.
The location is perfect, you're right in the middle of everything so most things you would want to see or do are within walking distance.
We enjoyed the night markets along the beach, the gaming arcade down one of the main streets and the many kebab shops.
I cannot wait to return! We will definitely be staying here when we come back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear Samantha204,

Thank you for your great recommendation of the Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise. I am so thrilled that you had such a positive experience and enjoyed all of the hotels facilities.

Thank you also for your kind word about our staff – we often receive wonderful comments about their service and it is so pleasing to receive some more.

Again, thank you for your glowing comments, we hope to have you stay again soon.

Peter Yared

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Indonesian first
Golden Beach, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The Grand Chancellor is a major building in the heart of Surfers paradise. Our group of 12 found the booking was straight forward, but a hassle on arrival - 2 long queues of people checking in and only 2 staff to handle it. The queues were there nearly all day. They definitely need at leat 2 more at reception, or alternatively stagger the check-in times.

Another hassle was parking: it was sort-of next door underground and shared with supermarket customers. We had a 10 minute drive around before finding a space, and others were also circling. I didn't pay, but I understand there was a $15 fee for this unsatisfactory parking arrangement.

The room upstairs was good and roomy, bedding as expected and nice and clean, and a reasonably good sea view. One major hassle though was that the aircon was cold only, even setting it on max heat. We had room service "fix it" and then when we came back to the room late, it was still like Alaska. Couldn't find the switch to turn it off, but in any case this was mid- winter: pretty cold and miserable.

More queues for check-out. I've stayed in much better.

Room Tip: Plenty of noise from entertainment on the nearby beach, so the higher the better.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Hotel is situated conveniently near Cavil Avenue, and the ocean view was nice from the balcony. Everything was a within a short walk, and the staff were nice enough without exerting themselves to go the extra mile. I wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JRJT_1234,

What a glowing review – thank you!

It is always so wonderful to hear such positive feedback from a satisfied guest. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay so much and we hope that you will return for another great stay very soon.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Location: 9/10, Well in heart of The Surfers Paradise ,60$/ 35 min from OOL airport. If u r single take airport shuttle. Main beach & sky deck is 3-4 min walk from the hotel.

Rooms : 8/10, I took twin room.Spacious,city view on 10th floor as ocean view was not available.

Star rating : I rate this hotel as 3.5/7

Bathroom : 9/10, Spacious & Clean, Housekeeping staff are well trained & make sure that the room is serviced well especially an Indian & Thai staff who responded very well to all our requirement.

Staff : 7/10, Don't expect any service after normal working hours. Majority of Front office staff found to be rude and not courteous at all. All the Concierge staff found to polite and ready to go extra mile to serve the guests.

WIFI : Useless, very slow. Only 1/2 Hour free in a day. I advise all visitors to buy Call cum Data plan upon landing in AU & not rely on hotels internet. Mobile service providers do have very good offers from 39$ onwards for unlimited calls & 4GB internet valid 7-30 days.

Breakfast : 9/10. I opted for On payment. Wide variety.

Pool : 9/10 ( Good pool with hot jacuzzi )

Rating : In my view 3.5/7

Tips :

-Prefer ocean view rooms.

- Book tours/park tickets from travel agents on street as you get good offers from them. Don't go directly to counters. An agent 4-5 shop to left of the hotel entrance & another situated exact one shop left shop to the 7D mini theatre gives really a good deal for all major attractions in Gold Coast.

- Movie World is a good place to visit but I personally won't prefer Wet & Wild worth as it is small as well as not worth after visiting water parks in Dubai, Singapore, Malaysia & Bahrain.

- Lot many eating joints nearby. I would rank Indian one's as below :

1. Madras Cafe (Must)
2. Delhi Darbar
3. Curry Express
4. Sher E Punjab

- For kids, the gaming centre named Timezone is one of the best place in GC.

- If you are staying for more than 2-3 days, I suggest you to take unlimited gold bus pass right from airport for unlimited travel within GC, Theme parks & airport transfers. This will save a lot.

- If you like to go for an Adult entertainment late in night then right place is Hollywood Showgirls. Other places are not competitive as suggested by many locals.

-Don't forget to Buy a refill water bottle when u land in AU. Normally, people travelling from Asian/Middle East countries just rely on mineral water PET bottles but here the bottled water is very expensive. Do note that normal tap water is drinkable in AU.

Others : Stayed here with family ( with kids) in Jul 2nd week. Weather not worth of beach fun/swimming. Paid approximately 110 AU$ / night on non refundable offer.

Room Tip: Ocean View Room
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear rsoodmail,

Thank you for taking the time to leave this comprehensive review on your stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for including such wide ranging information that I am sure other travellers will benefit from.

We hope to welcome you and your family back again soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

I did not like the experience at reception today when I requested one of the receptionist that I cannot wait in the queue as I will miss my shuttle bus and then I will miss my flight as I was getting late she did not even tried to understand instead gave me a lecture. Another receptionist hinted here and then attended me but she did not apologies for her bad gesture. I will not recommend this hotel to anyone I hope they will train there front desk employees on how to treat there guest instead of humiliating in front of other guests.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Manojdevedi,

Thank you for taking the time to bring the events of your stay to my attention.

I was disappointed that your experience with our Front Office staff was not up to your expectations. I have asked the Front Office Manager to hold weekly refresher training so that we are able to ensure we are continually offering service that is up to our high standards. Our team is very committed to offering the best possible experience for our guests, so I am disappointed if a staff member let down the rest of the team in your eyes.

I trust you had a pleasant trip home and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Hotel is great for its location to the beach, shops and restaurants. Room was clean with great views over the town. However customer service over the phone and when we arrived was lacking. Two conflicting stories off them. Lady over the phone previously that day had said yes to a roll a way bed and that it is $50 for underground parking. Lady at service desk said they don't have any roll a way beds and that parking is $15! Then trying to transfer money around via my phone to pay for the bond I wasn't told about. Wasn't a great start to my holiday after travelling so many hours.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Tracey2006,

Thank you for your review of Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed our central location. Being in the middle of all that Surfers Paradise has to offer makes it incredibly convenient for our guests. Thank you also for your lovely comments about our rooms.

I was however saddened to hear of your experience with our staff. I have brought this feedback to the attention of our Rooms Division Manager so that he can ensure more staff training is being provided. Our team is very committed to offering the best possible experience for our guests, so I am disappointed that this did not occur for you.

I appreciate your comments, and do hope that you return for another stay with us again soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

There were many things I enjoyed about my previous stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor however I was absolutely disgusted about the way in which I was treated as a guest and paying customer.

Two days before my stay, I rang the hotel to confirm my booking. The man on the other end of the line picked up the phone but did not greet me, instead I stood there waiting for a good 2 minutes as I listened to this man arguing his head off with another lady. When he finally and may I say rudely and irritably greeted me, he cut me off within two seconds of me trying to explain the reason I was calling and threw me on hold. I had never been more mortified in my life. I attempted to file through a complaint to the person he put me through to, however all she could say was, "oh, oh, I'm sorry." And nothing further was done.

I had made my booking through an online website, and my receipt and confirmation email stated that there were no prepayments, bonds, deposits needing to be made, and that on the day I would just have to pay a flat rate for the room. I had my cash ready to go, but was then told I needed to pay an extra fee of $100, and once the receptionist realised I was paying cash, told me it would be an extra $200 on top of the room rate. I was disgusted, I knew no information about this and the information was no where on the website. I had to leave, find a commonwealth branch and deposit my cash into my account so I could pay by card. I was then mortified to find out I also had to pay for parking. This was not on the website, nor were there any information/signs or ANYTHING to tell me this.

The receptionist could easily tell I had never stayed at the hotel before but still offered no sympathy and no apologies.

I will never recommend this hotel to anyone I know in future. That is all.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Laurenscott64M,

Greetings from Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise.

Thank you for sharing your experience – we welcome all feedback, positive and negative as it helps us to better our service.

I would like to apologise if your experience with our staff did not come up to your expectations when you phoned to confirm your reservation. I have raised your feedback with our Rooms Division Manager so that he may conduct some refresher training to ensure we are always offering quality service.

I was also sorry to read that our bond policy was an inconvenience for you. The bond is in place for any incidentals you may use, such as in-room dining, movies, or phone calls during your stay. This policy, along with our car parking costs are listed on third party booking sites as well as included in the reservation confirmation so I apologise if you were unaware of these.

Thank you again for your comments; we do hope that you will consider returning in the near future.

Peter Yared

Been to Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise? Share your experiences!