“What they advertise isn't what you get” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise

You added Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise to your Saves list
Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Cnr Surfers Paradise Boulevard and Hanlan Street, Surfers Paradise, Queensland 4217, Australia   |
Ranked #25 of 58 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Sydney, Australia
“What they advertise isn't what you get”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I booked 2 rooms and requested two beds in one of the rooms. This was on my booking confirmation. The website said this type of room could have two beds but it wasn't guaranteed that you would get it. I also made two calls and discussed this with staff on both calls. When I arrived the robotic receptionist initially told me a room with two beds was available but she would need to check with the manager if I could have it. She came back and said that standard of room isn't available ever with two beds and the only way they could do it would be to downgrade us and they didn't want to do it. Of course not-they would need to give us money back. I told her it was available in this standard of room on the website and I wanted her to tell the manager I wasn't happy and would write a review. No one bothered to talk to me about it during my stay so if they post a response saying they will look into it don't believe a word of it. I wouldn't have stayed there if there was no chance of two beds and when you are paying a high premium the offer of a fold up bed doesn't cut it!
Location excellent, sea views perfect.
Cleanliness excellent
Décor good
Food okay to good
The tour booking desk excellent
Pool very good
Safe - broke and it took until the following late afternoon for them to fix it (after 2 calls) lucky we weren't due to depart.
Staff except for receptionist very nice - even on departure they didn't bother to do the usual 'did you enjoy your stay' so didn't have opportunity to say 'not happy'

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Caroline 2067,

Thank you for taking the time to leave this review. It is warming to read that you enjoyed our stunning views and central location.

I was however disappointed to read that you were unhappy with the bedding arrangements. We offer king and twin bedding in both our Standard and Deluxe room types and apologise that the bedding you requested was not available. While we do try to accommodate all requests, unfortunately during busier periods it is not always possible.

This is precisely the reason we only offer bedding requests and not a guarantee. I hope this did not cause you too much inconvenience.

Thank you again for your comments, we hope you will return to the hotel once again.

Peter Yared

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

This was the second time that we stayed at this hotel. The fist time was 2 years ago and at that time we had the old room and were told that the hotel was being renovated. 2 years later we have not noticed any major renovation done to the room. We had to move to another floor as there were ants in our room. Staff were helpful but more could have been done. We were in the Gold Coast back in January this year and were staying at the Watermark.
Late checkout was not available due to high occupancy.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear dt3012,

Thank you for this review of your visit to the Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise.

It is shame that you did not notice the renovations to your room such as new carpets, paint and a new LCD Television. The Hotel has undergone extensive renovations throughout most areas, rooms included. We are currently in the middle of refurbishing our older rooms to make them more modern and appealing to our guests with completion set for the first quarter of this year. Our Deluxe and Premium Rooms also offer a more modern look and feel that may be more to your liking should you wish to return for another stay.

Thank you once again for your review and we hope to welcome you back soon.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Stayed at hotel from 15/12/13 to 18/12/13. Booked 3 rooms for granparents, parents and set of teens.

Informed Local Singapore tour operator NamHo that they had made a very bad hotel recommendation and that hotel was not 4.5 star rating at all in terms of customer service and accommodation.

Writing to GM of hotel ahead did not ensure that we were allocated our correct request for 2 double beds rooms and one twin bedroom either. E-mail replies from the hotel instead reminded me to moderate my expectations on arrival as our rooms are indeed the old fashioned un-renovated standard rooms though it has “soft refurbishment done” and was told not to expect 5 star service. Although shocked by the less than pleasant reply, could do little about situtation.

Worst of all ,on arrival, was neverheless given wrong accommodation.

My 18year old son and 20year old daughter were to have separate twin rooms from point of purchase. But was forced to sleep together on a single bed or make-do on an uncomfortable lumpy makeshift roller mattress.

Besides the wrong sleeping arrangements, the rooms were indeed old fashioned despite so called “Re-furbished”. It appears that there are 3 classes of standard rooms, some really old, some refurbished though still old and some new as per pictures shown online.

Personally, felt cheated that the rooms we were given are so different from the standard rooms as advised online. That's misleading in law pictorially .

On the last night, we upgraded to a so called “family suite” as we were told it had 1 proper king bed and 2 twin beds. But we had to sacrifed and give up our 2 standard rooms for this one “suite” . That was another “rip-off’ as the “suite” is even worst!

It is merely the same old fashioned single standard room size plus an afterthought in cramping 2 twin beds into a corner. Imagine the squeeze! There were no additional amenities for the family, all 5 of us had to now share one awful small toilet as opposed to having 2 standard rooms with 2 tv, 2 toilets and proper room space.

Our rooms had broken table tops, dropping light casing and terrible WI-Fi. Was told that some rooms Aircon broke down so we just had to accept whatever room still worked. Not impressed. Hotel sold 4.5 star rooms but in actual fact, given accomodation worst than a chalet. Best thing is their paid wi-fi did not work and one member of our group decided to ask for a refund!.

Our tour group consisting of 19 were given wrong sleeping arrangements, took issue with the bad wi-fi and terrible Spartan Macdonalds’s style canteen breakfast that remained unchanged everyday!!

Newspaper was out as of 7am ??? Breakfast has no mains .The mains were daily :just bake beans , one type of sausage and 2 types of eggs : boiled or scrambled and some tomatoes. Customary breads and biscuits were laid out but nothing inspiring. Food was military style - basic and the Coffee machine was out of order.

If you want to pay for a basic room with basic bread and toast, this hotel is functional. But it is not deserving of a 4.5 star rating from the dated rooms, the bad service or the lousy spread at breakfast . utterly unbecoming of a 4.5 star hotel , underserving for the price paid. Try somewhere else.

Room Tip: Insist on getting the correct ONLINE Pictured standard rooms. We were staying at 1202, 1207 and 1208...
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Overall this hotel was good to stay in, we stayed in a non refurbished room which was tired looking but it was clean with more than enough room. It had 2 x double beds in main room with 2 x single beds in the second room. We had a city view which was nice to look out on the small balcony. Car park is shared with the centre complex and if it's busy you won't get a good park anywhere near the lifts! Staff we came across were friendly. Overall was happy I would stay there again

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Graham G,

Greetings from Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise.

Thank you for your kind review of your stay with us. I am glad you liked your time at the hotel and enjoyed our lovely views.

Thank you once again for your feedback, and we look forward to your next stay soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

The hotel at the higher level are more scenic and the location is near the beach and the local shops and dining area. food wise it is ok if you are not a picky eater.

The only disadvantage is that the rooms at the lower floor are a bit old and dirty.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear RaymondCheow,

Thank you so much for creating this review of your recent visit to the hotel.

I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, particularly our central location.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Noosaville, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Arrived late after work and found someone already in our room which was embarrassing. Lucky they weren't naked!
The only other room smelled of smoke so we had to find another hotel at 10pm...
Staff were rude and rooms tired.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Copa2251,

Thank you for time in posting a review of your time spent at the hotel in December.

I would like to apologise for the issues encountered during your stay. Please let it be known this is not the norm for the hotel and I appreciate you bringing these items to my attention.

Thank you once again and I hope that you will return in the future for a more comfortable stay.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

I stayed in a standard twin room which was not refurbished. Our room was located on the 21st level and we had an awesome view of surfers paradise ahead of us and the tall buildings to our sides. I wasn't looking forward much to this stay because of the numerous bad comments that I have read here but my stay didn't turn out that bad.

The carpet flooring in our room did have one or two weird stains but it was alright since we wore slippers or socks for most of the time. The shower was okay too, did not have weird stenches coming from the shower curtain because we had a glass partition instead of a shower curtain.

However, the breakfast is lacking in variety and I had to eat the same things for 3 days straight.

This hotel offers free wifi for only 30 minutes throughout your stay, limited to 2 devices per room. And it is a one-time log-in, meaning you can't spread the 30 minutes over a few days and use it over the few days. As I travelled by a tour group, the counter staff informed me that I had to pay a deposit of 200AUD in order to use the free 30 minutes of wifi and claim the deposit on the day of check out. I don't get the rationale behind this scheme for most asian hotels provide free and unlimited wifi in rooms or lobbies.There are people who still need to use the internet for school/work related issues even though they are on holiday.

For those who are unwilling to pay additional money to use the internet, you can take a 2 minute walk up to Starbucks/Macs/Hungry Jack's, buy a drink and get the password for their hotspot. I think Mos Burger doesn't have a password because I *cough* got connected by just walking past.

Overall, this hotel is in a fantastic location - close proximity to the beach and surrounded by restaurents, convenience stores, and a small shopping centre with a supermarket. The standard rooms look kind of tired though but you wouldn't be in the rooms for most of the time. The walls at the lift lobby on my level were badly cracked and you can actually see the part underneath the cement. I do suggest some touching up (to the older rooms as well), if any staff is actually reading this. Counter staff were pretty friendly and helpful in my opinion.

Room Tip: Get the refurbished rooms (they are on higher levels too)
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear tianatiana,

Thank you for taking the time to create this comprehensive review of your stay at the Hotel. I am so pleased you were able to enjoy our sweeping views of Surfers Paradise from the comfort of your room and it is even more pleasing to read that you found the Hotel’s central location to be fantastic.

I would like to clarify the point you raised about the wifi charges. The Hotel does not take a $200 deposit for wifi. We do however collect this amount as a refundable security bond upon check in. This is in place to cover any incidentals you may use, such as in-room dining, movies, or phone calls during your stay.

Thank you for your comments about the rooms and your room tips. You will be pleased to know that the remainder of our standard rooms are currently being refurbished with this set to be completed by the first quarter of 2014.

Thank you once again; I hope you get the chance to return to the Hotel for another visit again in the future.

Peter Yared

Been to Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise? Share your experiences!