“Chancellor next to shops and opposite beach at Surfers Paradise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise

You added Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise to your Saves list
Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Cnr Surfers Paradise Boulevard and Hanlan Street, Surfers Paradise, Queensland 4217, Australia   |
Ranked #23 of 58 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Australia
“Chancellor next to shops and opposite beach at Surfers Paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I had a wonderful room with a balcony that looked down to the pool and shops and out to the ocean. I kept the window balcony glassdoors open all the time and enjoyed the sea breezes and the view. Everything was fine and I loved the shopping mall right next to the Hotel, and the hairdresser too.
Booking in was very bad with a very grumpy desk lady who was not friendly when I arrived early from Vietnam and wanted to store my luggage until book-in time. The males at the desk were much nicer for the actual book in and out and the porter was very helpful

Room Tip: Ask for a high room with a view of the ocean
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Ladymaggic,

Greetings from the Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise.
I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, and that you found our location and views fantastic. I have given your feedback to our Front Office Manager so that they may commend those staff members who have upheld our commitment to great guest service, and ensure that those who may need refresher training receive it.

Peter Yared

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Indonesian first
mumbai
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

location of this hotel is simply excellent, if u want to stay at surfers paradise..
it's connected to a shopping mall, where in u also have a supermarket..
next door u have hard rock cafe also..
outside u have the action area,, night life, bars pubs restaurants.
u hv hungry jack, mc donalds. etc.
the breakfast buffet is also really good..
3 mins walk to the beach...

Room Tip: take a room on the higher floor having a sea view.. it;'s awsome , expecially at time of sunrise...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Vikasmanghnani,

Greetings and thank you for your review of your recent visit to the Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise.

I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. We also love our very central, convenient location.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Overall the room is rather big, lots of space for luggage. Try to get a higher level room to get a nice sea view. Breakfast is alright, the place is clean and within walking distance to surfer's paradise and there's a shopping centre with a supermarket right next door.
The conceirge services, restaurant staff, had good service on the whole. However, reception service and logistics could be improved. Although we indicated for a non-smoking room, the room we were allocated to had a strong smoke smell, and when we went down to the reception to request a change, the receptionist was rather unfriendly and insisted that it was a non-smoking floor, only offered to re-clean the room and that we were mistaken. After they sent staff up to check, they realised that it was actually a guest that was smoking in the room next door. Even so, their service was hostile and they did not bother to apologise or provide a proper explanation (saying that the guest had already checked out that morning), and suggested that we air the room instead. Unfortunately, the smoke smell was stuck in the corridors and had already drifted into the room. Luckily, the next receptionist that served us when we had to make the trip back down again readily offered to help us change rooms and was extremely understanding, but there is still room for improvement, especially if visitors face such problems in the first day of a holiday. It won't afffect your overall holiday experience, but it would be great to start off on a good note

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Traveller3738,

I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, and that you found many of our staff to be so friendly and accommodating. I have passed your feedback about one receptionist o to our Front Office Manager so that they may ensure all our staff are continually providing service that is up to our usual high standards. I am glad that the second person you spoke with did assist you in moving rooms so that you could enjoy your stay.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

A great location if you want to stay in surfers. Within walking distance to shopping, restaurants and the beach. If I went to surfers again I would probably stay in broad beach, it is nicer and not so touristy.

The rooms are fairly large but in desperate need of a renovation and upgrading. The hotel gets very busy with groups and when we called reception, concierge and guest services on many occasions over the two nights that we stayed no one ever answered, we assumed that the phone didn't work, we went down to concierge when leaving to get someone to help us take our bags to the car and when he came up he checked the phone and said it was working (I guess no one answers that's all). I found the bed to be rather hard and woke with a sore back. The room we had was on the 20th floor and faced cavill avenue and at night you could hear people on the street, it wasn't too loud, but we stayed on a Monday and Tuesday night so it might be louder on the weekend?

Room Tip: Maybe try and get a room higher up and facing the beach to avoid noise from cavill avenue.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Sunrisexoxo,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with the Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise.

I am glad you enjoyed the location of the hotel, and that you also found it convenient. I do apologise if your call rang through to our reception area with no answer. We do, of course, endeavour to answer every call in a timely manner, and I am sorry if this did not happen for you. I have ensured the reception area is aware of your feedback as well.

Thank you again for your feedback and we loo forward to your next visit to the hotel.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

There was a very very long wait for check in and not many staff at reception so I decided to grab my first beer in gold coast for the year from the little bar in the lobby and go back and stand near my bags, I was immediately approached by a very rude security Gard, more like a pub bouncer than a hotel security, rudely telling me to go back to the bar, I did not appreciate this attitude towards me before I even checked in. Finally when I got to reception the staff very polite and helpful, My room had spa and baloney and was clean, the porters where very helpful during the day. I just wish the grad had not been so rude as it did spoil my overall experience as a GUEST at the hotel. I may be back for the nice rooms and 'friendly' staff

Room Tip: Balcony & spa all the way
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear enjoyvb,

Greetings from the Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise.

Thank you for your review, I am so glad that you found our reception and concierge staff to be friendly and helpful. It was also great to read that you enjoyed your room, and balcony.

I am sorry if the security guard asking you to return to the bar with your drink was inconvenient for you. We do of course value our guest’s happiness and we expect all our guests to receive excellent service from our staff members. So while I am sure he was just enforcing the liquor licensing laws we must follow, I have forwarded your feedback to our Security Manager so that he may ensure our dedication to great service is upheld.

Thank you again for your very kind words, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Tweed Heads, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Have stayed here a few times mainly due to the price as it was close to where we were going. Queen rooms were small and the beds standard. Nothing flash. But for the price was good value. A lot of 'backpacker' types tend to stay which made it a bit noisy. But still enjoyed our stay. I think they have done up a few rooms which was needed as it was getting very 'used' and needing a good upgrade.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Etonbeach,

Greetings from the Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise.

I am glad you felt you got good value for money during your stay with us. I am also glad you mentioned that many of our accommodation rooms have been renovated. They are available to book and carry a modest upgrade fee which is well worth it for the stylish modern feel. If budget is an issue our non-renovated rooms provide a clean, comfortable, conveniently located base for your Gold Coast adventures.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Rooms, reception staff, Restaurant and house keeping all very good. The only problem i had was being woken up at 2 AM every morning from the Doof Doof music down the road at one of the night clubs. I would definately stay again during the week, Monday thru Thursday But not weekends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear KevinP,

Thank you for your review of the hotel.

I was pleased to read that you likes the room, and that you found the restaurant, as well as our staff very good.

I do apologise if there was some noise from the street that you could hear during the weekend. We are in a very central location, and there is inevitably some noise from Cavill Mall below. We normally are able to allocate a higher floor to those who may be more sensitive to noise, and I do apologise if in your case we were unable to do so.

Peter Yared

Been to Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise? Share your experiences!