“excellent location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise

Save Saved
You added Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise to your Saves list
Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Cnr Surfers Paradise Boulevard and Hanlan Street, Surfers Paradise, Queensland 4217, Australia   |
Ranked #34 of 74 hotels in Surfers Paradise
mumbai
“excellent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

location of this hotel is simply excellent, if u want to stay at surfers paradise..
it's connected to a shopping mall, where in u also have a supermarket..
next door u have hard rock cafe also..
outside u have the action area,, night life, bars pubs restaurants.
u hv hungry jack, mc donalds. etc.
the breakfast buffet is also really good..
3 mins walk to the beach...

Room Tip: take a room on the higher floor having a sea view.. it;'s awsome , expecially at time of sunrise...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Vikasmanghnani,

Greetings and thank you for your review of your recent visit to the Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise.

I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. We also love our very central, convenient location.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to your next visit soon.

637 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Overall the room is rather big, lots of space for luggage. Try to get a higher level room to get a nice sea view. Breakfast is alright, the place is clean and within walking distance to surfer's paradise and there's a shopping centre with a supermarket right next door.
The conceirge services, restaurant staff, had good service on the whole. However, reception service and logistics could be improved. Although we indicated for a non-smoking room, the room we were allocated to had a strong smoke smell, and when we went down to the reception to request a change, the receptionist was rather unfriendly and insisted that it was a non-smoking floor, only offered to re-clean the room and that we were mistaken. After they sent staff up to check, they realised that it was actually a guest that was smoking in the room next door. Even so, their service was hostile and they did not bother to apologise or provide a proper explanation (saying that the guest had already checked out that morning), and suggested that we air the room instead. Unfortunately, the smoke smell was stuck in the corridors and had already drifted into the room. Luckily, the next receptionist that served us when we had to make the trip back down again readily offered to help us change rooms and was extremely understanding, but there is still room for improvement, especially if visitors face such problems in the first day of a holiday. It won't afffect your overall holiday experience, but it would be great to start off on a good note

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Traveller3738,

I was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, and that you found many of our staff to be so friendly and accommodating. I have passed your feedback about one receptionist o to our Front Office Manager so that they may ensure all our staff are continually providing service that is up to our usual high standards. I am glad that the second person you spoke with did assist you in moving rooms so that you could enjoy your stay.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to your next visit soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

A great location if you want to stay in surfers. Within walking distance to shopping, restaurants and the beach. If I went to surfers again I would probably stay in broad beach, it is nicer and not so touristy.

The rooms are fairly large but in desperate need of a renovation and upgrading. The hotel gets very busy with groups and when we called reception, concierge and guest services on many occasions over the two nights that we stayed no one ever answered, we assumed that the phone didn't work, we went down to concierge when leaving to get someone to help us take our bags to the car and when he came up he checked the phone and said it was working (I guess no one answers that's all). I found the bed to be rather hard and woke with a sore back. The room we had was on the 20th floor and faced cavill avenue and at night you could hear people on the street, it wasn't too loud, but we stayed on a Monday and Tuesday night so it might be louder on the weekend?

Room Tip: Maybe try and get a room higher up and facing the beach to avoid noise from cavill avenue.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Sunrisexoxo,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with the Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise.

I am glad you enjoyed the location of the hotel, and that you also found it convenient. I do apologise if your call rang through to our reception area with no answer. We do, of course, endeavour to answer every call in a timely manner, and I am sorry if this did not happen for you. I have ensured the reception area is aware of your feedback as well.

Thank you again for your feedback and we loo forward to your next visit to the hotel.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

There was a very very long wait for check in and not many staff at reception so I decided to grab my first beer in gold coast for the year from the little bar in the lobby and go back and stand near my bags, I was immediately approached by a very rude security Gard, more like a pub bouncer than a hotel security, rudely telling me to go back to the bar, I did not appreciate this attitude towards me before I even checked in. Finally when I got to reception the staff very polite and helpful, My room had spa and baloney and was clean, the porters where very helpful during the day. I just wish the grad had not been so rude as it did spoil my overall experience as a GUEST at the hotel. I may be back for the nice rooms and 'friendly' staff

Room Tip: Balcony & spa all the way
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear enjoyvb,

Greetings from the Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise.

Thank you for your review, I am so glad that you found our reception and concierge staff to be friendly and helpful. It was also great to read that you enjoyed your room, and balcony.

I am sorry if the security guard asking you to return to the bar with your drink was inconvenient for you. We do of course value our guest’s happiness and we expect all our guests to receive excellent service from our staff members. So while I am sure he was just enforcing the liquor licensing laws we must follow, I have forwarded your feedback to our Security Manager so that he may ensure our dedication to great service is upheld.

Thank you again for your very kind words, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Tweed Heads, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Have stayed here a few times mainly due to the price as it was close to where we were going. Queen rooms were small and the beds standard. Nothing flash. But for the price was good value. A lot of 'backpacker' types tend to stay which made it a bit noisy. But still enjoyed our stay. I think they have done up a few rooms which was needed as it was getting very 'used' and needing a good upgrade.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Etonbeach,

Greetings from the Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise.

I am glad you felt you got good value for money during your stay with us. I am also glad you mentioned that many of our accommodation rooms have been renovated. They are available to book and carry a modest upgrade fee which is well worth it for the stylish modern feel. If budget is an issue our non-renovated rooms provide a clean, comfortable, conveniently located base for your Gold Coast adventures.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Rooms, reception staff, Restaurant and house keeping all very good. The only problem i had was being woken up at 2 AM every morning from the Doof Doof music down the road at one of the night clubs. I would definately stay again during the week, Monday thru Thursday But not weekends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear KevinP,

Thank you for your review of the hotel.

I was pleased to read that you likes the room, and that you found the restaurant, as well as our staff very good.

I do apologise if there was some noise from the street that you could hear during the weekend. We are in a very central location, and there is inevitably some noise from Cavill Mall below. We normally are able to allocate a higher floor to those who may be more sensitive to noise, and I do apologise if in your case we were unable to do so.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

This was our first visit to the Gold Coast, and we decided the Hotel Grand Chancellor based on the reviews of TA, and of the opinions of our friends who stayed there.

The Good

(a) The hotel's excellent location next to Cavill is perhaps it's strongest points. The Centro Mall, which is connected to the hotel, which in turn connects you to the rest of Cavill nailed it for me and my family. You can walk your way to the beach without breaking a sweat. There is Woolworths at the basement of the mall, which means you can get just about anything you want. There are also a number of 24-hr convenient shops around the hotel, so if you really need something, it's there. And of course, by being next to Cavill, you have numerous choices what to eat, what to buy and what to have fun. If you want to eat, there is a McDonald's, KFC, Starbucks, Hungry Jack's, Baskin Robbins etc etc, If you like to shop, there is a Ripcurl, Billabong, Adidas etc. There are also a number of pubs and clubs for those who want to party. Finally, you won't have to walk far to take your photo in front of the iconic "Surfers Paradise" arch. Fantastic location indeed.

(b) The room quality is good, although we would have preferred to stay at the newly renovated rooms. We did request for one during check-in, but the staff said the hotel was full. It's not surprising, since it was peak holiday season and also Schoolies. Nonetheless, the standard room which we were given was good enough. It was clean, and big enough for my family of 2 adults and 2 young children. We didn't really mind the outdated look (reminds you of the 90's) of the room, since we're only there to sleep, and once it's lights out, nothing really matters. The bed quality is good, nice thick and comfortable mattress, which had us in dreamland within minutes. It also helps that we were dead tired at the end of the day :)

(c) Security
I'm a night photography enthusiast, so I make it a point to venture around my holiday destinations at night to photograph building and people. Security at the hotel is tighter once past 8pm, and you'll need your keycard to enter the lobby. Security personnel will also be there to assist you. I must complement the security officers because they were able to sniff out the genuine guests from non-guests. They managed to turn away a couple of schoolie kids who had no business with the hotel.

(d) Service staff
The staff were good, especially those at breakfast. I counted about 3-4 staff manning the entire breakfast room (it was the size of a ballroom), but there was still plenty of food to go around, and our used plates and cups were cleared the minute we were done. I don't know how they did it, but they had really sharp eyes.

Needs improvement

(a) Check-in
After taking an overnight flight from Singapore, we arrived at the hotel at around 10am, and was told that check-in is at 2pm. We explored the surroundings and came back at 1pm, but was informed that our room was not ready. We went out for lunch and returned at 2pm, to be old again that our room was still not ready. By then, we were tired from the flight, tired from walking around and the kids were getting whiny. The saving grace was Jake, who saw my rather desperate situation, and he took the initiative to swop my room for somebody else's. Good for him, but I still wondered why it took so long for my room to be ready. In my previous holidays, most hotels have their rooms ready for the next guest by 12.30pm,

(b) Toiletries
We discovered that our toiletries were not replenished regularly, when we came back on the third day to find no soap and no shampoo for our use. We needed to call housekeeping to send it to us. For a family of four, such things can be used up rather quickly. Was the hotel expecting us to ration it?

(c) Music during breakfast
The hotel was playing lounge music during breakfast, which didn't really gel with me. Such music is played when you are winding down for the day, not when you are getting ready for it. Not really a big deal, but just something for everyone to note.

(d) Smell of paint
The hotel is currently undergoing renovation at certain parts of the building, so don't be surprised to smell paint on your floor. Fortunately, the smell doesn't enter your room.

I would say overall, the experience was good. The rooms were clean and well-maintained, and most of all, the location and its convenience won me over despite some downers.

Room Tip: Bring your room towel to the pool if you want to take a swim because the hotel has does not have a t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear 253SA,

Greetings from Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise.
Your review is wonderful to read, I think you have covered many areas of use to other travellers so thank you for all the effort you have put into creating such a detailed account of your stay.
We also love our location so I am glad you saw it as a really strong point for us. I am even more pleased to read that though you were unable to get a renovated room due to high occupancy you still enjoyed the room, and found your beds to be so comfortable, definitely important after a long day!
I will be sure to pass your feedback about our security guards on to them as we also think they do a really good job keeping us running smoothly in such a busy location.
I was disappointed to read that you were unable to check in before our guaranteed check-in time of 2:30pm and if this was was of inconvenience to you I do apologise. I am so glad that Jake was able to get you into a room at 2:00pm. We offer the generous check-out time of 11am so that our guests are able to have a relaxing check-out experience, however it does mean that during busier periods it is less likely that there will be early check-in available. I have also passed your feedback about the toiletries on to our housekeeping manager so that he can remind the team to ensure the levels are checked and replaced.
Thank you again for your review.