“3 star quality” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise

You added Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise to your Saves list
Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Cnr Surfers Paradise Boulevard and Hanlan Street, Surfers Paradise, Queensland 4217, Australia   |
Ranked #25 of 58 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
“3 star quality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

So disappointed with this hotel. Everything about it was 3 star - even though they are advertised at a 4 star hotel, maybe 10 years ago when the carpets, furniture and fixtures were new. The room we stayed in looked like it had not been refurbed since originally built, green/grey decor, only one chair in room, no pictures on walls, smelly. But the most disappointing thing was that we paid extra to upgrade to the seaview room with 'Spectacular Ocean views', which could only be seen if you went out onto the balcony and looked through the buildings. When we complained they said that the room had views and that was that. Lying in bed, staring out at the highrises sorta killed the moment..... It's also located in a really noisy location. Even on the 13th floor, we could hear people singing at 4am on the street walking home from the clubs. I won't book a hotel in Surfers again that is for sure, and probably not another Grand Chancellor either.

Room Tip: don't stay near Cavil Ave
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, January 30, 2012
Dear Mtodd5,

Greetings from Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise.

Thank you for your feedback. I was disappointed to read that your room décor did not meet your expectations. We have completed our renovations for 2011 and will be continuing with more room renovations in early 2012. The newly renovated rooms are a great improvement and I hope the next time you stay you will be able to book one of these. You will find them a much more stylish and comfortable room.

We are located in the heart of Surfers Paradise so there are definitely other buildings that you can see from our balconies. I am really sorry that you felt your Ocean View was obstructed by those buildings. We receive a multitude of great comments about our lovely views so it does concern me that you didn’t find it to your liking. I would also like to apologise that you could hear noise from the street. As we are so centrally located it is possible that noise can occasionally be heard from the street below.

Thank you again for your comments and I hope you will decide to visit the Gold Coast again.

Peter Yared

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

If Grand Chancellor was the only hotel in Surfers Paradise this would be perfect. But compared to the other hotels in the area of Surfers paradise, then I would say it has an "almost" perfect location. This is because there are hotels nearer to the beach front than this one but I'm not complaining.

We stayed on a room with half ocean view and half city view and we couldn't ask for more. The view is amazing and we can see the giant guitar on top of Hard Rock cafe. The room is big and spacious with a balcony which is a very pleasant surprise. My only suggestion would be that they change the plastic chairs to better chairs or benches.

The breakfast buffet is what I liked the most, they serve DELICIOUS food! I can eat here everyday and not get tired of the same dishes because they really are very good for me. The service and staff were amazing they really made us feel welcomed. Overall, I think we'll stay here again the next time we visit surfers paradise. Although it's not 5-star or anything like that, what I liked were the little things and the warmth and friendliness of the staff.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear joseph t,

I really enjoyed reading your review, thank you for posting.

Thank you as well for your very kind comments regarding the breakfast buffet, and our staff. All of our team members are very committed to providing our guests with the very best service and I am so glad you felt welcomed. I will be sure to pass on your great comments to the kitchen, as well as the other departments of the hotel.

I hope we will have the chance to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Jaipur, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

we stayed there from 2jan to 5jan 2012. The best part of it was it's location, we were on 27th floor and on land facing balcony. great view of the bustling nightlife, good spacious room, reasonably priced, right near the market place and close to beach, everytime you want go to reception you need to stand in a que, they will ask for a refundable deposit at check-in and hotel has plans for major refurbishment from may-june 2012. Manager was very warm and quick in response. hotel pool and recreation area was not worth but nobody requires them anyway.

Room Tip: need to deposit some money at check-in, higher the room better the view
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Vipulchowdhary,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us. It is really great that you enjoyed your room, and the views.

I am sure your tip about the security bond will prove very helpful to other travellers. We do have a bond payable by cash or credit card upon arrival. This is to cover any incidentals that you may use during your stay. Once you have checked out the remaining bond will be returned in the same form as it was paid.

Our renovations began in 2011 and we will continue to renovate more of our rooms in the early part of 2012. Our lobby and pool area have also been renovated and both are now stylish and comfortable places to relax.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit soon.

Mackay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

If i had the money i would stay there all the time. You got a great view from your room over the ocean if you are a bit higher. The room itself is very big, so is the bathroom. It is very central.

• Stayed April 2011
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, January 16, 2012
Dear Linda F,

Greetings and thank you for your review.

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay. We would love to have you stay all the time too! The rooms are very spacious here, one of the benefits of the building, and of course the location couldn’t be better.

We look forward to your next visit soon.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

We too suffered theft at the hands of housekeeping. Within 2 hours of checking out, we returned to collect some items of clothing that had been left in the wardrobe. We were told that housekeeping had not logged any lost property, so nothing could be done. That was it. No apologies, no attempt to retrieve our property. Disgusting to think that this will be a lasting memory of our country from many international visitors. Shameful.

• Stayed January 2012
Dear Spliced,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your visit.

I was disappointed to read that you had left some items of clothing behind, and that our housekeeping department were unable to locate them. I have written you a message requesting further information so that I may ensure we have done everything possible to find these items for you.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

Stayed on the 27 December for 4 nights 23 floor beach view awesome everywhere is so close the pool and spa was warm since that period the weather was rainy the staff were great and help full the location is 100percent perfect relaxed envoirement there was a Korean girl at the bar at the lobby she was fantastic she had great customer service and very friendly.just with you're swipe cards for you're room try not to have them near you're mobile phones it disables you're card so when you get to you're room you can't open the door not to worry just go down to reception they reset card they gave me 3 cards just try to keep card away from mobile phone.I stayed there with my wife and 2 kids in 1 room plenty of space only bad thing was I booked in for 4 days I should've stayed at least a week anyway next time I go to surfers paradise for sure I'll be staying at grand chancellor and for a longer period its the best keep up the great work 10/10 I recommend everyone you won't find better even the price is fair I could live there forever beautiful happy new year

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear Altan C,

Thank you so much for your great review! It has made my morning to read about how much you enjoyed your stay.

Thank you as well for your kind comments about our staff, I will be sure to share this review with them.

Your tip about the room cards de-activating when held near a mobile phone is a really good one for any of our guests reading this review. It is really annoying to get all the way up to your room and then find that the key has been de-activated. Of course if this does happen we are more than happy to assist in bringing you up another key.

I hope you will be able to visit again soon, and that your next stay will be for as long as you want.

canberra
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

We stayed in an newly renovated ocean view suite on one of the top floors for 1 night on 27 December 2011. Whilst it was beautiful and clean (we were the first ones to stay in it I was told) it was overshadowed by the teething issues for a suite which cost us $380 for the night with breakfast for 2.

The second room (lounge) had no furniture in it whatsoever but a tv on the wall with no remote. We called and they replaced the missing furniture with 2 chairs which didn't seem right? They suggested that we try to use the tv remote from the other tv which didn't work so we gave up on that one. There was also a lamp shade missing and a desk missing from the main room. They apologised and were helpful and delivered a roll out for our son very promptly though. We then noticed that the directory was missing along with the mini bar price list.

The room was quiet and the bathroom was beautiful although the toilet flushing was a bit dodgy, so again these things should have been checked that they were in full working order. I would lay the blame with management that there was not a check and test of all equipment and services to the room before letting it.

The breakfast was so so (pretty basic) but enough to get going in the morning. I found the check in and check out very slow (second time this has happened staying there). More communication about the express check out option would have been helpful. I saw a box in the reception but nothing about it in the room.

All in all a great location for Surfers and the refurbished pool area with heating was a great improvement.

Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear Stacey 1474,

Thank you for writing about your experience in the new room. I am so glad you found the bathroom beautiful, and the room quiet.

I note that you experienced some teething issues with the room you stayed in. Thank you for letting us know about the missing chairs so that we could replace them for you straight away. There is now a lounge in the room although there was a slight delay in that item being made for us.

I must also apologise that you did not have a remote for the television in the lounge room, or a lamp shade. The response you received was in my opinion unacceptable. We should have found the remote for that television and brought it up to you, as well as replaced the shade. I am really sorry that this did not happen, and I have passed your feedback on to our reception team. They will bring up how it could have been better handled at the next daily briefing.

We have recently welcomed a new executive chef to our team and he has many ideas for the buffet breakfast. The response we have received so far for the breakfast has been almost entirely positive, however, there is always room for improvement.

Thank you again for all the feedback you have provided us with. I hope we can use it to continue our constant process of improvement.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Peter Yared

Been to Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise? Share your experiences!