“Excellent location: nearby the beach and lots of restaurants around” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise

You added Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise to your Saves list
Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Cnr Surfers Paradise Boulevard and Hanlan Street, Surfers Paradise, Queensland 4217, Australia   |
Ranked #23 of 58 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Singapore
“Excellent location: nearby the beach and lots of restaurants around”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

As part of a tour package to Gold Coast, I recently stayed at the Hotel Grand Chancellor for 3 nights.

Firstly, the location is excellent. Just next to the hotel is Cavill Mall, where you will find Hard Rock Café and Ripley’s Believe It Or Not. At the basement of Cavil Mall, you will find a Woolsworth store (Woolworths is a chain of supermarkets and grocery outlets); so, even though Surfers Paradise is a touristy area, one is able to purchase groceries and toiletries for reasonable (non-tourist inflated) prices. There is even a Timezone amusement centre at Cavil Mall; my wife needed some time alone to shop, during which I took my 8-year-old to Timezone.

For beach-lovers, Surfers Paradise is about a 5 minutes walking distance from the hotel. There are lots of restaurants around the area serving a wide variety of food to suit your palate – while wandering around nearby the hotel, I noted Australian, Italian, Korean, Malaysian, Japanese, Thai, and Chinese (Hong Kong) restaurants. In terms of fast food, I saw a McDonald’s, a Hungry Jack’s (in other parts of the world, this would be known as Burger King), a Subway, and a MOS Burger restaurant nearby.

With regards to the standard of the rooms: I stayed in a room that had a two queen sized beds. The room was not posh; actually: it appeared a little worn, with brown stains apparent on the wall of the bathroom, and the springs of the mattress that I slept on did give one the impression that it was about time for the mattress to be replaced. Nonetheless, the room was generally clean. What I really liked about the room was that the sink was outside the toilet-bathroom area (we were a family of 3 staying in that room, so having a sink outside the toilet-bathroom helped save a lot of time for us in the morning, especially since we needed to be punctual for our tour). The hotel room was equipped with a mini-fridge (and not a mini-bar, giving us space to store some groceries we had purchased from Woodsworth), an electric kettle, a hairdryer, an electric iron, and an electronic safe – in short, basically every device you would hope for in a hotel room was covered. (I think there was free Internet access as well, but I didn’t check because I didn’t bring my laptop). Another thing I appreciated about the room was the thick, lightproof curtains – the sun rises at 4:30 am in the morning, and we were coming from a later timezone. So, the lightproof curtains really helped us catch a few more hours sleep. Coming back to the issue of the standard of the room, I did come across an advertisement in the hotel lift indicating that there were newly renovated rooms in the hotel (as of October this year); so, yeah, if I were particularly fussy about my room (which I was not), there was the option of an upgrade (by paying a bit more).

With regards to the buffet breakfast served at the restaurant, I appreciated the fact that it opened at 6:30 am in the morning (usually, in most hotels that I have been in across the world, breakfast opens at 7am). Both warm (fried bacon and sausages, scrambled eggs) and cold food (cereal, fruit etc) were available. Being Asian, I appreciated that miso soup, porridge (the Chinese/Japanese kind) and kimchee (Korean fermented vegetables) were also included on the menu.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, January 3, 2012
Dear Roychanyc,

Wow your review above is great! You have really covered a lot of areas that will be very helpful for those thinking about staying at the Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise.

I am glad you enjoyed the location, breakfast, and room set-up. It sounds like you had a wonderful holiday. We have a wide variety of international visitors and Rez252 (our restaurant) does a great job of ensuring there is something to everyone’s taste. In most of our rooms we do leave the small refrigerator empty as we have found that many of our guests prefer to choose their own snacks from Woolworth’s wide variety on offer in the shopping centre below us. In our newly renovated Premium rooms there is a mini-bar provided.

I noticed you mentioned internet access and I wanted to say that there is complimentary internet access only in the Business centre. In most of our rooms there is internet access; however, it does incur a charge.

Thank you again for writing such an insightful review. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Peter Yared

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Indonesian first
Tasmania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

My hubby and I spent 4 nights here on the first leg of our honeymoon. After having to reduce our stay because of a flight schedule change, I had a pretty negative experience with the staff member in reservations when phoning to alter our plans (3 weeks before check in) who insisted I would have to pay for the extra night even though my terms and conditions on my confirmation only said cancellations/changes must be made 24 hours prior to check in or there would be a penalty. After insisting that person check with her supervisor, my booking was hastily changed an apology given, but it left a sour taste. I have to admit, the hotel itself exceeded my expectations! We were on the top floor in one of the new renovated rooms and it was very stylish and clean - as well as plenty of space. We spent a few hours everyday just floating around in the pool, or in the spa - both pretty nice facilities. The concierge was fabulous, providing plenty of friendly advice. It is located centrally in Surfers, 2 minutes from the Cavill St mall, 2 minutes from the beach - perfect location. Have to say, we had a peek at the unrenovated floors on our many elevator trips and I am sure we would have been disappointed had we been on one of those floors. I'd come back again - but only if we could stay on a renovated floor.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor, and insist on a renovated room! The rest look very 1980s.
Dear Lisa P,

Greetings from Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise!

I am so glad you enjoyed the newly renovated rooms. We are really excited to be able to offer these stylish, comfortable, and spacious rooms. Thank you also for your kind comments about the pool area, though now that the renovations in that area are finished I am sure you will be even happier floating around and relaxing there.

Please let me apologise again for any confusion with your booking before you arrived. I do hope it didn’t taint your view of our hotel too much. We do strive to ensure all bookings are correct first time, and I am sorry that yours ended up needing adjustment.

We would love to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

we booked via phone and we weren't told about renovations.. my partner and i do not like our kids just running across rd to use other hotels pools.. when i questioned why we weren't informed of this when booking was told it was in fine print in T & Cs..umm ..given no paper work over phone and we were not posted any thing informing us of this.. is too late to change hotels when we have just booked in .. will be good when renovations finished.. ohh and my friend in 23rd floor and it stank

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear Ruth D,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay.

I was very disappointed to read that the pool renovations caused you some inconvenience. Our swimming pool renovations are finished now and I am very sorry that your stay was during the time when the pool was unavailable. It is of course always going to be an inconvenient time to close the pool; however the renovated pool area is well worth the effort. We did arrange for an alternate pool to be made available for all of our guests who wanted a swim. I am sorry that this arrangement did not suit your needs as well as it could have. I am also very sorry that you did not receive notification prior to check-in of the pool closure. We were unable to get an exact date ahead of time for when the crane would be allowed to block the pavement, and hence the exact date the pool would be closed.

I am unsure what the comment about the 23rd floor refers to, I had the floor checked for any unseemly odour and none was smelled there.

I do hope you will get the chance to visit again soon, now that our renovations to the Pool area are complete.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

My wife and I had an excellent stay at Grand Chancellor for our honeymoon trip. The room was definitely spacious, only problem is that the housekeepers should clean up and mopped the floor of balcony as well, as it was very dusty... No doubt it is some sort of outdated hotel but we have absolutely no problem with it. Hotel is at a perfect location, with restaurants, shopping malls and departmental stores nearby. We certainly would love to come back in the near future...

Dear Luqqies,

I would like to wish you and your new wife a very happy life together. I enjoyed reading your review of the hotel, and I am very glad you enjoyed your stay! I am honoured you chose to stay with us on such a momentous occasion.

I wanted to bring up your mention of the balcony being dusty, and to apologise if it was of any inconvenience to you during your stay. We are currently undergoing some renovations which do cause a lot of dust. That combined with the high wind we have been experiencing on the coast for the last week or so may explain the dust on the balcony. I will ensure that the housekeeping team is checking the balconies carefully to ensure they meet our high standard of cleanliness.

Thank you again for your time in posting a review and I hope you will be able to visit again soon.

Bathurst, New South Wales, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

Whilst the staff were friendly and helpful lack of communication did cause a bit of a problem. But the hotel itself was a disappointment, it is quite outdated and whilst theye are renovating, these renovations were a nuisance. When booking neither us nor our agent were notified of the renovations and theye were an inconvenience. We were told the noise would be limited to 10 am to 4 pm, but we were woken but at about 8 am daily with the sound of renovations and it continued into early evening, this also caused closure of recreational facilities adding more disappointment. However, the hotel itself is in an ideal location situated centrally amoung all the food and shopping availibilities and is close to the beach. Will be a lovely place to stay...when finished!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Dear JessicaS,

I'd like to begin by thanking you for your feedback as this greatly helps our leaders take the appropriate action when emphasizing, among our staff, the importance of our guests' experience.

It was great to read that your experience with our staff was excellent. I am however sorry that our current renovations have caused you some inconvenience. We have strict guidelines that the contracted builder must follow for times that work can be carried out. The times we have expressly stated works may occur during are 9.00am – 4.30pm. These are the hours when most of our guests are out enjoying the beautiful Gold Coast. By choosing these hours carefully we do hope to keep the inconvenience to a minimum. However, in your case these precautions do not seem to have assisted you. I do apologise for this inconvenience.

I loved your comment about when the renovations are completed. I too think that updated rooms, a renovated pool area, new lobby bar and coffee shop, combined with our great location and service will mean that Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise will soon provide an even better stay.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011 via mobile

Excellent location although I wouldn't recommend going in "schoolie" week, unless drunk teenagers float your boat. Surfers paradise has a stunning beach and this hotel is 1 minute from it. Hotel has a good reasonably priced restaurant.

• Stayed November 2011
Dear LBarbary,

Greetings from Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise!

Thank you for this review. Surfers Paradise certainly does get hectic during this time of year. It is nice to see the area busy with young people though.

We too love our very central location and close proximity to Surfers Paradise Beach. Thank you as well for your kind comments about Rez252 our restaurant. Our chef has been working hard on our new menus and I must say the food is better than ever.

Thank you again for your time and we look forward to your next visit soon.

Manila
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

We stayed two nights with our toddler in a deluxe ocean view room on the 18th floor. We didn't get a full view of the beach, just an angle of the view if you crane your neck a bit. Location is fantastic, only a few blocks away from the coast and right beside a mall. The rooms itself are spacious, clean and with a big comfortable bed. They have beach towels in the room ready for you to take to the beach. A working empty miniref for you to stock up on and a LCD tv. Walls are a bit thin as i can hear people talking in the hallway at night. They also have a small balcony for you to take in the view. What I like about the hotel are the reception staff and the bellboys. I have to mention Jason who assisted us with our various questions and helped us print out our theme park tickets. It feels like a 3 star hotel with 5 star type of efficient service. I am glad that they are renovating the hotel, once it's completed and paired with good service, this hotel can be great.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dear Siomao,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit to the Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise.

We really appreciate your feedback as it is a great way for us to constantly improve our service and the overall experience for our guests.

I am so glad that Jason was able to help you with your activities, and local knowledge. Our Reception and Concierge teams are very dedicated to giving the best service possible so I will be sure to pass on your kind words to them. I was, however, disappointed that you did not find the Ocean View to your liking, we usually receive great feedback about the views. We are in a central location so there are other buildings in the view from some of the rooms. I do apologise if the view you received was not what you expected.

We are also very excited about our current renovations. They are proceeding nicely, and you are correct in saying that when they are complete it will be really great! The rooms will have a much more modern feel, and our Pool area is nearing the completion of its renovations too.

Thank you again for your review, and we do hope to see you again soon at the hotel.

Peter Yared

Been to Hotel Grand Chancellor Surfers Paradise? Share your experiences!