“Great weekend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Outrigger Surfers Paradise

You added Outrigger Surfers Paradise to your Saves list
Outrigger Surfers Paradise
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   22 View Avenue, Surfers Paradise, Queensland 4217, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
2 Night GC Special
Ranked #21 of 58 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Toowoomba, Australia
“Great weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

My husband son and I have just come back from a weekend staying at the Outrigger. The room was really comfortable and the staff were first rate. Nothing was too much trouble. We had a great weekend. I would definitely recommend our stay to others. We were particularly impressed with how the air conditioning would automatically clock on every time the balcony door was closed and it was just perfect. Not too hot or too cold. Thanks Outrigger we had a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Our view overlooked the beach which was really lovely.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
OutriggerSPGM, General Manager at Outrigger Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear LynetteP,

Sincerest thanks for the great feedback on your recent stay. With older properties we know e need to work harder and I know our staff are doing all possible to contribute to a guests stay.

The airconditioning over the past 12 months has seen significant upgrade and more work next month, but equally we are also doing other renovations, with all guest floor corridors being recarpeted over the next 6 weeks, guest floor corridors being painted with only 6 to be completed and currently 164 guest rooms painted with approx. 10 - 15 being completed weekly.

Our pool area has had all furniture replaced and this week the children's pool internal tiling finished (just in time for Easter) and then in mid to late May the other 2 pools will be completed. New tennis court completed and an interior decorator currently preparing room upgrade suggestions.

We look forward to you staying with us again to see the further enhancements.

Kind regards and many thanks

Regional General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

I found the staff to be rude, and didn't go out of the way to assist when requested. The check in took almost an hour, lifts are slow, bed uncomfortable. Birthday weekend was disappointing. Location was only positive point

• Stayed September 2013
OutriggerSPGM, General Manager at Outrigger Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Jennalee5090,

I was extremely extremely disappointed and upset to read the your comments on the staff being rude. We have made significant changes to our front desk team over the past few weeks, including some staff changes but to allow me the opportunity of following up personally, can you please contact me on Grant.James@outrigger.com.au with you contact number so I can make personal contact to discuss and identify the staff member.

This is neither Outrigger standards of hospitality or acceptable and I want to ensure this ceases and our team members appreciate they are in a service industry. I also appreciate many of our team members receive fantastic feedback from guests and that all employees act in conjunction with the values that have made Outrigger known for great hospitality.

I look forward to talking to you and obtaining exact details so I can address..

Please again accept my apologies and i look forward to receiving your email.

Sincerely

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

My family and I have stayed at Outrigger Surfers Paradise many many times before... Mainly for its great location and reasonable rates, especially when we book at the last minute....Now I know why! The last manager was fantastic and he went out if out way to make out stay fantastic!! I think his name was Steve?

This visit was absolutely terrible and we checked out after the first night of out 7night stay. The checkin staff have no idea what they are doing and are completely rude when you approach them. The two girls which are the worst is the Asian and redhead (sorry didn't stay around long enough to get there names)... They don't even look at you when your talking to them and never have a smile on their face. I was just about accused of lying from when I spoke to the previous staff Member about the rate and the next time she said I must of been wrong. These two girls are so unprofessional, insincere and have to be the worst customer I have ever come across. I have travelled all over the world to every continent and these girls are just the rudest!!

After checking out we booked into Jupiter's Casino even though costs more we didn't care as we couldn't wait to leave. It wasn't as good location yet the staff there were amazing unlike here.

Even as I was just about to leave the redhead girl made no effort to correct the error and was basically too bad so sad attitude. Didn't try to apologise or actually even try to help with our booking.

Even though we have spent slot of money at the this hotel with not only ourselves but family and friends.. There will definitely be no further recommendations for this hotel from us. A real shame as we travel to the Gold Coast so often.

• Stayed March 2014
ASPGM, General Manager at Outrigger Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear AshleeP,

I am extremely disappointed and upset to read the issues you faced with the front desk and be assured this will be addressed with the staff member on Monday morning. As you said you had stayed many many times and know this is not the norm, and please accept my sincerest apologies..

I would really appreciate you contacting me on Grant.James@outrigger.com.au with you contact number so I can make personal contact to discuss.

I look forward to talking to you and doing all possible to have your stay with us again, as you said you have had great stays with us and I believe everyone deserves a second chance.

Please again accept my apologies and i look forward to receiving our email.

Sincerely

Allora, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Stayed just the one night which was long enough. First impression, namely the car park left a lot, very dirty and not secure. Had to catch two lifts, one from the car park and then from the lobby to the rooms. Room was a reasonable size and very clean. Lovely bed and a nice out look. No hair dryer and were unable to turn the light off in the wardrobe due to poorly fitting door. Breakfast was included and it was just average. Have stayed at Outrigger managed resorts previously and this one is well below the others.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2007 so it had a beach view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
OutriggerSPGM, General Manager at Outrigger Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear Kel2153.

My apologies , that your stay was not as good as expected, and I fully appreciate your comments about the neighbor car park. But I also really pleased to advise that on Friday the shopping center owners (also car park) engaged CARE Parking to manage the facility and they have advised me that an upgrade will commence soon. This will make a significant difference and I am also hopeful that will include a lift upgrade in their property as well.

I would ask all guests arriving with their cars, to please drive into the Porte Cochere (entry) and leave luggage with concierge and then park the car - this will be much easier for you.

Could you please email me on Grant.James@outrigger.com.au so I can obtain room number to address the wardrobe light. Regarding hairdryer, they are located in the wardrobe, although we are currently working through replacing with wall mounted hairdryers.

I will pass on your comment to our Executive Chef on the breakfast, as he and the team do all possible to include fresh local produce and changing items on both hot and cold selections.

I sincerely hope you will stay with us again to see the property enhancements and changes, as well as what I expect to be significant improvements in the car park.

Kind regards and sincere thanks for your feedback.

Gold Coast, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

To be fair, we won the package that we're about to review, so we didn't pay for anything but the parking.
First, the location is absolutely ideal. We strolled to dinner in the centre of Surfers (at the exceptional Baritlia, see our review). There is a 24/7 Mart,late-hours medical centre and a chemist downstairs, and the new tram line runs outside the door (will be great when it starts operation Mid-2014).
The portico is huge and well covered if it were to be raining, although there was no door-man/concierge to help us unload our luggage. The lobby was nicely decorated with modern decor, and plenty of lounge areas which were quite comfortable. Check-in was easy, the reception staff were friendly, we were directed where to park, but not informed of charges until check-out.
Upon leaving the lobby, the age of the building (the former ANA) showed in many public areas, although it was clean through-out. We were in an ocean-view 20th level room with a king bed. The TV remote had dead batteries and the door on the mini bar was off one hinge, however a call to Guest Services had the friendly Alessandro up in no time to fix both.
The room decor was modern and understated, the bathroom was clean and nicely decorated (the shuttered window looking out to the room and the magnificent view was a nice touch). Most,if not all, rooms appear to have a little balcony with table and chairs, which was a nice way to take advantage of the superb view of the Surfers Paradise sky-line and the ocean.
The bed was very comfortable, and there was a range of pillows, however none of the pillows suited me, and I woke up a few times in the night, (I usually bring my own, but had forgotten).
Breakfast was your standard hotel buffet which was ample, fresh, had good variety, and offered eggs prepared fresh by the chef to order. The restaurant was clean and the service was friendly and quick.
Check-out was as simple and efficient as check-in. I would recommend to business travellers and families looking for a clean, well-located hotel in the heart of Surfers. It's certainly not a luxury hotel, but it's friendly staff and comfortable accommodations were appreciated.

Room Tip: Ask for Floors 9-22 to get an ocean view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear JohnsiesonHol,

Firstly, congratulations on winning the stay. I appreciate the great detailed review which has been shared with our teams and also the great feedback on Alessandro - one of the truly great staff we have.

While the property is an older built property, at present we are undertaking the following:

* All guest floor corridors are being re-carpeted - completion by May 15th
* The remaining nine floors of guest corridors are being painted - Completion June 2014
* 148 rooms repainted and continuing, with an interior decorator engaged to provide refurbishment plans for soft and hard furnishings.
* Pool area renovation nearing completion with pool internal tiling to commence next week and be completed
* 85% of all rooms have new pillow top mattresses and bases.

There will be more works undertaken over the next 12 months as well.

The location is brilliant, and views from the balconies can be spectacular.

I sincerely appreciate your recommendation and we look forward to your return stays with us.

Kind regards and many thanks for the great comments

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

The check in girl made us feel very welcome. She immediately upgraded us to the top floor in a lovely ocean view room. Our original booking was for ocean view but not in this amazing category. Great ocean views. A quick walk to the beach and shops. Room service food and service was perfect. Swimming pools and spa were great. The gym looked amazing with state of the art gear (all a bit too serious for me) We were with a group of authors and the Wifi charging caught everyone a bit off guard. I had broadband but most got caught with fairly high fees. Drop the Wifi fees Outrigger. Even Maccas give you that for free. The only other issue is that if you have a car and use their car park, you will have problems dragging your luggage up a very small lift and then a flight of stairs to reception. The alternative is a very long walk through a deserted shopping centre. Overall however, a great hotel in a great location and well worth the money.

Room Tip: Pay a little more for an ocean view room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
OutriggerSPGM, General Manager at Outrigger Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
Dear DrewBoySydney.

I am thrilled you had such a great stay with us and really appreciate the comment about our Guest Service gent. Our staff can make such a positive difference to your stay and I know they really aim to do that. Location is a real benefit for most of our guests, 1 block from the beach and the centre of Surfers Paradise and only across the corner a station for when the light rail starts.

I will be sure to pass onto our Executive Chef and Food & Beverage Operations Manager and teams you great comments on room service, "food and service was perfect".

Swimming pools and spa were great, is thanks to a full upgrade of all operational equipment, replacement of all pool furniture and umbrellas and by mid May all internal pool tiling will have been repaired. Apologies re the Wi-Fi and have asked our provider to review rates, while we also investigate provision of free Wi-Fi, although costs to upgrade are extensive due to age of building - but we are seriously investigating.

Re the car park, I agree that it can be frustrating, but I would ask ALL guests to please park in our entry (Porte Cochere) and have concierge assist with your bags and then park the car. We have asked the owners of the car park to upgrade lift etc. , but still ask that our guests drop luggage at lobby first.

My sincerest thanks for your very positive feedback which s shared with team members to improve, enhance and make changes to our services and products, but also to recognise great performance.

We look forward to you future visits with us.

Kind regards

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Cannot believe the reviews on this place! The outrigger is perfect! The location is exactly what you want, 5 minute walk to Cavill Avenue, 1 minute walk to beach, 5 minute walk to the bus stop to get to the theme parks and the airport. The rooms were great, all you need. And what a view! 1 block away from the shore. The service was amazing, always helping or offering to help. Lovely pool with perfect temperature water. Cheap as chips for something so amazing! We half expected it to be pretty dodgy but not at all!
The only downside was that there was a charge for Wifi. First world problem but I can't believe in this day and age WiFi isn't available to all those staying.
Honestly if you want an amazing hotel with everything down to a tee that is fit for a king, stay somewhere like Broadbeach. If you're after a great hotel with everything that you need in a perfect location, look no further.

Room Tip: Pay the tiny bit extra for a beach view, worth it!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
OutriggerSPGM, General Manager at Outrigger Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear tms037,

Great feedback such as yours, as with all feedback will be shared with our teams, but I also acknowledge that every piece of feedback we receive is used with our teams to review,, improve and acknowledge. The feedback provided also support change as with your comment on Wi-Fi. We are currently investigating Wi-Fi systems that will allow free Wi-Fi, and while we would love to do tomorrow, the age of this building requires some significant infrastructure changes to facilitate. However in saying this, other feedback as resulted in a significant pool area upgrade, all new pool furniture (completed), umbrellas and pool bar upgrade and the internal tiling to be finished over the coming 4 weeks. All guests floor corridors are currently being upgraded with new paint and new carpet (this project to be finished mid May). We continue our Guest room painting project, conference room upgrades over the coming 3 months. We have also engaged Interior Designers to look at future room and food and beverage area upgrades.

We look forward to your future stays with us, especially as we head to winter and the colder months (I'm originally from Melbourne).

Sincerest thanks and be assured your comments as all guest feedback will be shared with our team members.

Kind regards

Regional General Manager

Been to Outrigger Surfers Paradise? Share your experiences!