“Terrible customer service!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Outrigger Surfers Paradise

You added Outrigger Surfers Paradise to your Saves list
Outrigger Surfers Paradise
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   22 View Avenue, Surfers Paradise, Queensland 4217, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Midweek Special
Ranked #21 of 58 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
“Terrible customer service!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

A very clean, well positioned hotel experience ruined by TERRIBLE customer service from the GUEST SERVICES MANAGER Damian B. Whilst waiting in line to check in i could over-hear the polite reception ladies assisting guest with room & parking info. I was instead greeted by the guest service manager who slammed the phone handset down, called "Next!", did not greet me, instead first thing he said was "Surname?", then muttered under his breath at his computer troubles, picked up the phone & made a call whilst waiving a pen in my face & pointing to the paper i had to sign whilst talking on the phone. His next words to me were "licence & credit card for imprint". Returning my cards to me he handed the door key to me and said "that is all". No directions on parking, getting to room or check out times. We had the same experience on check out again from the same guest services manager!! Never going back to outrigger, this staff member needs to be brought up to speed on appropriate customer service.

• Stayed December 2012
ASPGM, General Manager at Outrigger Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Kaylac0

Firstly my sincere apologies for the customer service you received from Damian and be assured this is being addressed with him currently. As a new member to our team we will work with him to ensure he understands and appreciates the Outrigger values and standards and works to achieve these.

Guest feedback is critical to us and while I appreciate your comments that you would not come back and stay, I sincerely hope you will to see that we have not only listened to your comments but acted on them.

Please reconsider and contact me directly on grant.james@outrigger.com.au and I will personally take care if your booking

Again my apologies and be assured this is not the Hospitality Outrigger is known for.

I hope we have you stay with us again to see true Outrigger Hospitality

Kind regards

Regional General Manager Australia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Rajkot
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed there in January 2012, when the name was Holiday Inn. Superb location. Nice ambience. Vegy good lobby with good reception. Staff ready to serve you. It is a minute walking distance from Surfer's paradise beach. Even, very near to grocery store, market and few Indian restaurant just near to hotel. Close to night entertainment. Rooms are cosy and nicely furnished.

Room Tip: rooms are on two different side. Beach view and pool view. Beach view rooms are better.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Dear FavouriteTours

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review and be assured Outrigger is committed to providing our guests with great service. Our staff will do all possible to assist and provide efficient friendly service

Our location is brilliant, only one block from famous Surfers Paradise beach and the entertainment centre. Over the past months we have replaced beds and balcony tables , upgraded lifts and air conditioning and at present are installing wi-fi to all guest rooms. In early 2013 we commencevTV system upgrade and guest door locks for enhanced security

We sincerely hope you come back to stay with us again

Grant S James
Regional General Manager Australia.
Auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel, good location in the middle of Surfers Paradise, good breakfast, friendly staff. Would definitely recommend!

We were on the top floor (22nd) with great sea views. Good base for our holiday.

• Stayed November 2012
OutriggerSPGM, General Manager at Outrigger Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Iohit

many many thanks for taking the time to post your review. I will ensure our teams and Executive Chef see the review as I know they will all be proud.

The location does make it a great base for visitors and i certainly hope we have you stay with us again.

Kind regards and many thanks for providing the feedback.

regional General Manager Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

After reading many reviews on TripAdvisor I went into this experience feeling positive. I haven't even finished my stay at the outrigger but already wanted to leave my positive feedback. The reception staff were extremely friendly and were more then happy to help out with my many requests. I was also extremely happy once we arrived to the room. The place was beautiful and in an extremely convienient location. I would more than happily stay again. Id definitely recommend this place to customers within my budget of $150-$250 per night!! Thanks outrigger!

• Stayed September 2012
ASPGM, General Manager at Outrigger Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear StaceyThorn,

I am thrilled that you are enjoying your stay and I am even happy that our team are doing everything possible to enhance your stay. The location as you mention is extremely convenient, one block from Surfers Paradise beach and the entertainment precinct and on or very near great public transport access.

We look forward to your future visits and many thanks for taking the time to provide a review.

Kin regards,

Cleveland, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Hi All, Well after reading some reviews on here I was concerned about our night away with friends on the coast . We had booked a romance deal which included the seafood buffet for 2.
I expressed my concerns to Grant James the regional manager for outrigger , he was prompt with his reply and re- assured me about the hotel and our stay.
We had a great time . The room was clean and we had a view all be it in the rain .The dinner was excellent ,we had a lovely time. The staff were friendly and everything was as it had been promised when we booked. The location is excellent you can walk easily to the heart of surfers.
Our only suggestion is that the bar area could be bigger with a few more sofas for relaxing after dinner with friends.
I spoke with others staying there and they were happy with the standard. I was told the breakfast buffet was excellent. We went along the esplanade for breakfast.
Thank you to Grant for his reply it is often rare for a manager to take an active interest in feedback and respond so positively.
We hope to stay with friends again soon.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor on the even number side if you like to see the lit up high rises of the gold coa...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ASPGM, General Manager at Outrigger Surfers Paradise, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear LaraM,

It is critical the both the team and myself not only respond to reviews but act on them to improve any areas needing attention or to continue to focus on our guest service. The property is a 30 year Grand Lady of Surfers Paradise and while we are not new, the actions of the team and myself can provide guests with great service and experience.

We will with the help of the Body Corporate continue to do all possible to improve the physical characteristics of the hotel and I certainly hope with the implementation of Wi-Fi to all guests rooms (by mid-December), upgrade of TV and movie system (1st quarter 2013) and the finalization of the bed replacement program over the coming weeks and other projects provide our guests with improved facilities all in one of the best locations on the coast.

While we can’t extend the current bar area I am extremely hopeful that in 2014 we will have a brand new café and bar located on the ground floor that will be a great service to our guests.

Our Executive Chef Ollie and team are really focused on providing fresh local produce and it was great ot hear the comments you had heard from others.

I hope we have you stay with us again, and please email me if you arewanting to stay

Gold Coast, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We have just come back from a weekend at the Outrigger. The location is fantastic. One street from the beach and just down from Cavill Avenue. Breakfast was great, good selection, however a bit disappointing that you had to pay $5.00 extra if you wanted an omelette. We were on the top floor with awesome views of the beach and it was quiet, until after midnight when everyone thought it was acceptable to party in the hallway. The room had been renovated and was very nice. Bathroom was good. However there were no toiletries, not even soap. Luckily I had brought my own. I have never stayed anywhere that didnt even give you soap.The bed was the hardest most uncomfortable bed I have ever tried to sleep in and was very noisy and squeaky. Most of the night was spent sitting on the lounge trying to sleep. Even my hubby who can sleep anywhere, any time, woke up saying he thought he had bruised his ribs from the bed. They have a pillow menu which is fantastic but might be better with a mattress menu instead. We booked the extra late checkout time of 5pm for Sunday when we booked in. This was a great deal at only $50. When we tried to get back into our room at 1130 after being out wandering the shops the door wouldnt open. So back down to Reception we went to be told. oh yeah they automatically shut them off at 10am and you have to get a new key after that. Uumm I may look silly but what a stupid thing to say. Someone stuffed up, or if that was actually true, why werent we told when we booked the late checkout to save us going all the way up to the room and all the way back down again. Getting in and out of the hotel from the carpark was a bit of a nightmare. We parked near where the entry door was after being told to go in the 2nd driveway which we did. To get to the foyer from there you have to go up 2 flights of stairs, not good for someone with a disability. When we left we asked where the lift was to get to the carpark and followed those directions from Reception. This took us to the rubbish bins and dumpsters. And then we had to walk right around the carpark to find our car. Tried to get out thru the boom gate which wouldnt open and had to ring the hotel to let us out. We were told we were in the wrong carpark. We went in the 2nd driveway and there was an outrigger sign above the driveway and we parked outside the hotel carpark entry but apparently this was wrong. Very very confusing. Would I stay here again, I'm not sure!! The location was so good but the bed was such a huge letdown and this can kill a hotel.

Room Tip: Take a room away from the lifts, they ding all the time. This would drive you nuts.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear brissiecouple,

Many many thanks for taking the time to provide a review and there are a number of issues that I will address, but significantly one of those is concerning the room not having any amenities. I would sincerely appreciate you emailing me on Grant.James@outrigger.com.au with your room number so I can address with the supervisors and the room attendant that serviced the room. Your information will also allow me to check the bed as this week we are in the final stages of bed replacement with the top 2 floors (kings) being the last to be completed.

My apologies that the directions for the car park was not clear, as access is via the Piazza shopping centre and the loft. Unfortunately as the carpark belongs to the shopping center we are unable to provides easier access, but all guests are welcome to drop their luggage with our concierge staff so they don’t need to take via the car park lift and then hotel lift. The closure of the doors at 10.,00am is correct and again due to the Piazza security locking the center down at 10.00pm.

I certainly hope you will stay with us again, to see that your comments have been listened to and acted on.

I look forward to your email so I can address the amenities and bed replacement.

Regional General Manager Australia

Been to Outrigger Surfers Paradise? Share your experiences!