“Fantastic hotel on the Gold Coast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa

You added Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   158 Ferny Avenue, Surfers Paradise, Queensland 4217, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Summer Stay & Save Sale
Ranked #3 of 58 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic hotel on the Gold Coast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

We were upgraded to a junior suite on arrival, which was a nice suprise. The rooms have been renovated since we were here last. Our room was spacious, clean and nicely decorated. We had a balcony overlooking the beach and hotel pool and views of the beach and city from the spa bath.

The lobby area is lovely with a sweeping staircase. Check in was efficient, breakfast was a delight with plenty to choose from and despite the large number of people the service was quick and with a smile. We attended a conference held at the hotel and the food at the conference dinner was excellent.

The pool area is great and my partner said the gym was also very good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

It must be said this is a nice hotel and having stayed here 5 times over the last 5 years I have noticed changes that have been made due to the $20 million upgrade and also in the way the establishment is run - and there are a few issues that need dealing with. Firstly, it must be said that overall the place is lovely - great waterfall, spa pools and salt water lagoon and the food is 1st class, everything positive that has been said in earlier reviews are accurate - HOWEVER - our personal experience this time left us dissapointed to say the least.

Check in and out is efficient although upon check in we were given the hard sell on upgrading to a junior suite for JUST $95 EXTRA per night! What a bargain!! So upon declining this offer (due to a lack of funds) I decided to turn the tables and ask for a free room upgrade as it was our anniversary and given the fact we had stayed there many times before and the place was only at 40% occupancy so we were told, I thought this was a reasonable request..but, "sorry sir, we cannot do that" was the response. Fair enough but I notein one of the other reviews that an upgrade was given to an overseas visitor with platinum membership status - so possibly only special people get these benefits...even though we are Marriott Rewards members.

If you need to use a computer in the business area good luck, because I had none. For the 7 days we were there every day from breakfast at 7.30am till when we left the pool at 4pm ALL the computers were hogged out by small children playing warfare games between each other. Very Tacky of management to allow this and when I complained once to a staff member they just shrugged their shoulders as if there was nothing they could do!! I'm sure other guests felt the same way as we ended up having a small discussion about the situation one morning after breakfast...I didn't think this area was a child minding facility and the parents of these children need to have a good long think as to why they actually bring their children on holidays at all if this is how they spend their time. An extremely frustrating experience if you need to use these computers, which a lot of travellers do.

ANYWAY, on to the Citrique restaurant - great food, Loius in the omellette area is a delight to talk to as are most of the staff, however, and I hate to mention names but the attitude of both Steve and Julia I think her name was at breakfast was poor. We encountered them on 4 mornings and each time found them to be rude, disinterested in their work and generally dismissive of any attempts to communicate. We tried to avoid them after our 1st morning there.

Rooms are the same as they ever were with the $20 million upgrade meaning they were given a lick of paint, a couple of new soft furnishings and a flat screen tv, but hey! the beds ARE nice and the bathrooms big.

Now, my big bone of contention is the pool area. Sure this is the main attraction and so it should be - extremely well designed with a deep saltwater lagoon complete with some tropical fish, waterfalls and a snaking freshwater pool area adjacent but no money have been visibly invested in this area for yonks!! The tiles that line the edge of the snaking freshwater pool area are decidedly 70's era and look OLD(faded and cracked) and tiles that line the southern edge of the saltwater lagoon have simply fallen away or have massive cracks in them! Paving on the areas next to the pool area is uneven and is cracked in many areas. My wife cut her foot 3 times whist on our stay causing nasty gashes to the side of her foot all due to these faults...I'm lead to believe from staff that an enourmous amount of water is lost from these poolseach day due to cracks in joints etc. When we ran out of bandaids to cover my wifes' bleeding feet we asked reception if we could kindly have a couple of bandaids to help heal her foot we were told there be no charge for the 4 bandaids! Gee, thanks for that!

On 4 or 5 ocassions when needing towels the pool shop was unattended meaning a wait of up to 15 minutes until a staff member arrived and the water slide was more often than not closed when you wanted to use it, so some enterprising guests including myself started jumping the gate so we could use it. The pool area seemed chronically understaffed!! Also in the past guests were often given wet face washers or small towels to refresh themselves - this too is no more. The landscaping whilst OK overall had areas that were seriously degraded and looked poor. Bare areas with just dirt and a bit of weed growing were apparrent just near the entrance gate to the pool area - not a good look and certainly NOT 5 star.

Finally on checking out we were waiting on the outside lounges for a taxi (outside the main entrance) when looking above us we noticed large lights set into the roof - we couldn't believe the amount of dirt, cobwebs and scum covering the atrium roof and the 2 pot plants either side of the concrete pillars at the entrance were also in poor condition.

Overall it is the attention to the small things that make a Hotel 5 star and there have been many little cost cutting measures taking place at The Marriott in recent years that affect cleanliness, extra liitle things that used to be done for guests that aren't done any more, and the overall WOW factor - that is a little lacking in this Hotel these days.

Would I come back for my 50th birthday in May? If it were my 1st time, for sure. If it were another stay, ??? don't know. There are other great 5 Star hotels on the Gold Coast that offer similar experiences.

Room Tip: mountain view room looking south toward surfers paradise is great - high floor recommended
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Marriott S, General Manager at Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Firstly, I would like to thank you for your support of our hotel over the last 5 years. We really appreciate our loyal guests and your feedback is invaluable to us.

However, we are disappointed to hear that your overall experience during your last visit was not to our normal high standard that you should expect and we appreciate you allowing us the opportunity to look into these items further.

As a 5 star resort, we value feedback from our guests as we are continually looking for areas where additional focus is needed so that we can improve our offering and ensure our guests have a positive experience.

We would welcome the opportunity to personally discuss these items you have raised over the phone so please feel free to contact our Executive Office on 07 5592 9829 at a convenient time.

We hope that we may have the opportunity to regain your confidence in our resort and look forward to speaking with you soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

If you just want to laze by the pool this place is perfect..it has the most unique pool I've ever swam in! They have actually created a mini reef where real fish live and you can snorkel with them. Not to mention there is more than one waterfall, a waterslide, spa, 3pools and sand at one end of the reef so you actually feel like your walking along the beach.

Plenty of beach chairs, you can also hire a beach bed with wine etc. pool service was great.

Bring your own snorkles/goggles if you don't want to pay to hire them

The entry into the resort reminded me of a 5star beach resort in Thailand.. luxurious, open, tall ceilings, beautiful interior. My thought, "Yes!! We finally we got what we paid for" especially being a 5 star in Australia, they never seem to be as lush as the resorts in Asia.

Rooms where a little outdated in the sense they felt like a luxury 90's
Beach design, but I actually liked that about the place. It gave me the sense I could relax because I was actually staying in a beach resort, not a modern hotel from Sydney next to the beach.

10min walk from main strip of surfers.

Buffet breakfast was delicious and worth at least one morning.

Great place for families or couples.

Will definitely be going back.

• Stayed November 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The Marriott Surfers Paradise is one of he few quality hotels in the area. It's spacious lobby and friendly staff create the perfect welcome for your stay here. The Retreat club is open all day for breakfast, lunch and drinks and canapés (between 17.00 - 19.30 hours) and is well worth the extra $49.99 per person per day. Parking is free at the hotel, another bonus! The hotel has a fresh water and also a sea water swimming pool, we spent many hours relaxing around the pool, lunch is available as well as drinks and cocktails......fantastic! The buffet in the large restaurant downstairs however is too big, it has the atmosphere of a factory and is very chaotic especially at breakfast time during the weekends. Other than this it was one of best holiday experiences in 15 years of traveling to Australia.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview room......excellent to wake up to.
Hillsborough, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The Surfers Paradise Marriott is a great hotel to stay at when visiting the Gold Coast but it is the staff that really sets the “gold standard” for this hotel.

While planning our trip, I had several email correspondences with the Assistant Manager, Fiona Mitchell, regarding my accommodations, dining, etc. I had the pleasure to meet Fiona when we were checking in and she as well as every other staff member we encountered couldn’t have been friendlier and helpful in making sure we had a great stay.

As a Marriott Platinum Elite Member, I stay at a lot of Marriott’s around the world. Surfers Paradise has the look of both a resort hotel as well as a business hotel. We were upgraded to an ocean view room on the 21st floor that appeared as though it had been recently renovated. The room was clean and well maintained throughout our stay. While there is a club level floor (Elandra Retreat), it is not your typical concierge club and your gold or platinum elite status will not qualify you for an upgrade. This is similar to other Marriott resort locations in places like Aruba, Cancun, etc.

Instead, gold and platinum members are provided with a continental breakfast each morning in the hotels main restaurant, Citrique. While we found the continental breakfast provided more than enough offerings, you can upgrade to the full breakfast buffet (which is enormous), for just $7. This is a great deal considering the full price buffet is $36 per person ($40 on weekends). While we didn’t have dinner at Citrique, we did try both Benihana and the Lobby Bar for dinner and both were very good with not only good food and drinks but excellent service as well.

The hotel is located approximately 4 blocks from the beach so it’s around a 10 minute walk from the lobby to the closest beach. A walk to the heart of Surfers Paradise takes around 20 minutes. A great way to get around Surfers Paradise or just about anywhere on the Gold Coast is by bike. There are bike paths everywhere including a great one that hugs just about the entire coastline. You can rent bikes from several locations in Surfers Paradise (we used Ecobike), and the Marriott will hold onto the bikes for you overnight in their security lockup.

Of course one of the key features of the Marriott is the lagoon pool. You can snorkel with the fish, lie on the beach or relax in one of the hot tubs. One of which is in a secluded grotto.

After having a relaxed four night stay at the Surfers Paradise Marriott which concluded our twelve day trip to Australia, panic set in half way over the Pacific during our flight to Los Angeles when my wife noticed that her wallet was missing. All of her credit cards, ATM bank cards, Marriott Gift Checks (that we forgot to redeem when checking out), and a significant amount of US currency was in the wallet. While she thought she may have left it in the room she couldn’t be sure.

We were greatly relieved upon landing at LAX when I received a voicemail message, email and text message from the head of security at the Marriott. Not only did he say that the wallet had been found and turned in by housekeeping, he provided a full accounting of everything in the wallet. Names of each credit card, descriptions of ID’s and the exact amount of currency including coins.

I realize that many people may feel that the staff did what they were supposed to do but more often than not a situation like this turns into a case of nothing being found and you’re simply out of luck in ever seeing the wallet (or its contents), again.

A special thanks to everyone involved from the staff in the security department, Fiona Mitchell who helped to arrange applying the currency and gift checks to my hotel bill and crediting back my credit card as well as shipping the wallet back to us and the housekeeping staff member who located and turned in the wallet. They all went above and beyond in assisting to turn this into a happy ending.

This is just one of the many reasons why I choose to stay at Marriott Hotels in general and will certainly return to the Surfers Paradise Marriott should my travels take me to this part of the world in the future.

Room Tip: High floor, ocean view rooms are great
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Marriott S, General Manager at Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
My team and I are so grateful for your kind comments about our resort and in particular, our associates.

We really pride ourselves on ensuring all of our guests have a fantastic time, whether staying at our hotel for business or pleasure and I am sure that your comprehensive review of your experience, will be very helpful to our future guests.

We thank you for your support and loyalty to Marriott and do hope that you will have the opportunity to return to Australia and our resort again soon.
Palm Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

I came to the Marriott to attend a workshop in one of the conference rooms. There was a lovely staff member there sorting out the audio/sound for the day. She was very skilled, thorough, & helpful to the workshop speaker.
Morning & afternoon tea was provided by the Marriott. It was lovely. Tea & coffee, plus lovely pastries, muffins & gluten free options.
Definitely a great venue.

• Stayed February 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for 5 nights whilst on holidays. We were excited when we booked just looking at the photos and reviews, and my god, we were not let down. What an absolutely beautiful hotel. From the moment we walked in we were greeted with smiles and friendly hellos, then served by the lovely Louise on reception who even called a local bar for us to see if they were screening the AFL NAB Cup (we're big Adelaide Crows fans). We stayed in a Hinterland view Guest Room and were lucky to get one on the 23rd floor so had views of the beach and river on either side. We booked a room package for our first night which included the Seafood Buffet and Breakfast Buffet at Citrique which was absolutely incredible. We were spoilt for choice both meals and even cancelled a dinner reservation at another restaurant so we could return for the seafood buffet. The hotel is absolutely immaculate, clean and the staff are so friendly everywhere. The lagoon and pools are breathtaking and we were extremely disappointed we couldn't spend more time down there due to the weather. Absolutely cannot fault this place, we didn't want to go home and we will definitely return!! 5 stars!!!

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!