“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Salt Grill by Luke Mangan

Salt Grill by Luke Mangan
Level 1 - Hilton Surfers Paradise | 6 Orchid Avenue, Surfers Paradise, Queensland 4217, Australia (Formerly Salt Grill)
07 5680 8100
Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Celebrity Chef Luke Mangan brings his renowned culinary flair to Salt grill, the signature restaurant at Hilton Surfers Paradise. Combining his creativity, expertise and passion with the finest and freshest local produce, Luke brings you the definitive Modern Australian dining experience. For a famous Hilton Breakfast, a delicious Friday lunch or an indulgent evening, Luke's menus are sure to tempt, surprise and delight you.Embracing all the energy and vibrancy of Surfers Paradise, the Salt grill's 157-seat dining room, features large, dramatic circular windows which overlook the buzz of Orchid Avenue, along with all the excitement and theatre of an open kitchen. With its contemporary interiors and welcoming ambience, Salt grill is the perfect setting to share Luke's talent with Queensland.
Sydney Australia
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I went to Salt Restaurant at Surfers Paradise for dinner with some friends hoping to be impressed as we have been with one of Lukes other restaurant. However, we were very disappointed with the service by the wait staff. After serving our meals no one came near us until we asked for the bill & we had to pour our own wine. They were too busy setting up for breakfast in the morning. I think Luke would not be happy. The food was nice but not worth the price we paid.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hilton S, Manager at Salt Grill by Luke Mangan, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Hello

Thank you for taking the time to put your thoughts in writing. We really appreciate your feedback and comments. The service you have mentioned is not what we strive for at Salt grill at all and I am really sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your experience.

Please know that we’ll be taking on board your comments, and acting to improve on our performance.

If you would like to come and join us again, please contact me directly, I would love to be given the opportunity to change your opinion of Salt grill.

Best regards
Mandy Newson
Restaurant Manager
Salt grill Surfers Paradise
Mandy.Newson@hilton.com

Sydney, Australia
“Marginally better than an in-hotel dining room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Ate here Saturday night as part of a weekend away with my partner. Maitre D' had to tell the receptionist to stop talking to another staff member to attend to us. As mentioned elsewhere it was strange to be visited by almost every waiter int eh restaurant over the evening. Led to patchy service for water, drinks etc.

Had the five course degustation without wines - kingfish sashimi, blah. Scallops, beautifully cooked well matched with a crispy pancake, Wagyu beef - absolutely delightful, best dish of the nght. Pork, yeah I can cook better. Cheese plate, very ordinary, one small piece of gruyere and a blue with a piece of quince pats, slice of crisp and two bits of toasted bread.

Add to that the food court like location with all the noise from the foyer coming in, the scene outside of a car park.

Disappointing night, won't be back

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hilton S, Manager at Salt Grill by Luke Mangan, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Firstly, thank you for taking the time to put your thoughts in writing. We love feedback of any kind and we appreciate your comments.

I’m really sorry to hear that your experience at Salt grill Surfers Paradise wasn’t up to the standards we strive for. Please know that both myself and my team, have taken your comments on board, we are always working to improve our skills, and our service.

At the end of the day, you came to experience Salt grill and you didn’t get what you were expecting, and as the customer you have the right to be disappointed at that. Please accept my apologies to you, and again my thanks that you took the time to put your thoughts to paper. It’s a valuable opportunity for us to improve. I’d like you to give us another try, if you’d like to return please contact me direct and I’ll make the arrangements for you.

Have a great week and I’ll hope to hear from you soon.

Mandy Newson
Salt grill Restaurant Manager
Hilton Surfers Paradise
Mandy.Newson@hilton.com
“Melbourne Cup luncheon”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

This was by far the Worst Melbourne Cup luncheon we have experienced. Starting with 5 phone calls to get confirmation of booking...then the day! We arrived 25 mins early to have drink at the bar to be greeted by abandoned vacuum cleaner at lift entrance. Bar closed....at entrance of the restaurant was cleaners trolley. Entree...average. We were advised Wellington was rare to medium. Was very well done, not pleasant. Not one flower or anything to indicate Melbourne Cup. Unprofessional fashion parade to say the least. Race was shown on old roll down movie screen and could not hear due to poor sound. At the best part of race...message flashed on screen that broadcast would switch off due to lack of power! Have dined in very many restaurants for this day....have to say, for $160 this was a disaster! The only positive was we had a nice waitress who was attentive to our drinks.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Hilton S, Manager at Salt Grill by Luke Mangan, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear AnnetteU2,

Thank you for your post regarding our recent Melbourne Cup luncheon.

It is disappointing to note you were not entirely satisfied with your experience. I appreciate your feedback as this is instrumental in allowing us to improve and ensure we consistently meet and exceed guests expectations.

I regret the inconvenience you encountered in obtaining a confirmation for your booking. I will be reminding the team of the need to ensure all guest correspondence is responded to in a timely and efficient manner. This is certainly not indicative of the high level of communication we typically promote.

Our hotel cocktail bar, FIX Bar, does not open until later in the evening. Beverages were available directly from the restaurant at the commencement of the lunch and FIX Bar was opened shortly after as an alternative for visitors and guests. Prior to this time, The Food Store was open where a pre lunch beverage could have been enjoyed. It is a shame that this was not highlighted to you upon your arrival.

I have shared your feedback regarding the food with our Executive Chef. We are very passionate about ensuing the high quality of our dishes, I apologise you felt that we fell short in this regard.

Unfortunately we encountered some technical faults with our projector screen used to broadcast the race from Flemington, I apologise for the disturbance that this caused. We opted for a larger screen to ensure everyone had an opportunity to view the race. We will review this further along with your suggestion to add flowers when planning future events.

It is disappointing to note that you didn’t enjoy the fashion parade. This has been used for two consecutive years now due to its popularity.

Once again AnnetteU2, thank you for your posting and I apologise we were unable to meet your expectations. Your feedback has been taken on board and we will be happy to review this when planning future events. You are welcome to contact myself personally at the hotel if there is anything further you would like to discuss.

I truly hope we can again welcome you to Salt grill where you can enjoy the excellent quality and service we are renowned for.

Kind Regards,

Ben Schumacher
Operations Manager
Hilton Surfers Paradise
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“A little disappointing.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Dined at this restaurant on Monday night. I had heard so much about this place that I wanted to try for myself. The lobby is dark and uninviting. The restaurant was modern and large it is a shame about the view of the street from the windows.The wait staff( who were pleasant) waited on all the tables which makes it hard to know who you need to get the attention of when wanting another drink. The meals were pretty ordinary..fries were frozen. Fish had no taste. Vegetables were nice and well seasoned. The whole experience was "ok". I am not sure if I would rush back. :(

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Airlie Beach, Australia
“Thank You Luke”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Dear Luke,

Thank you for your reply (via these pages) of the 13 June to my review, entitled ‘Disappointing’ and dated 02 June, of your glass brasserie’ in Sydney. I am pleased to read in your response that you consider it “…wonderful to learn … been enjoying my food since my Salt days “

It certainly was a great restaurant, much better than the curry house that previously occupied that space at the Kirketon Hotel – with the bathrooms outside, down the corridor !

Putting my experience at the ‘ glass brasserie’ down to possibly a one-off combination of factors such as key staff having an off-day and the customer’s palate maybe having an off-day too, I recently visited the Salt Grill at the Hilton Surfers Paradise confident in prior experiences of your menu’s.

Seven course Degustation dinner for two with matching wines was the order of the night (again), and we weren’t disappointed. Each course & wine arrived regularly without delays or overlaps, and were superb. Full flavours, colour, contrasting textures – excellent and state of the art

Mandy Newson, the restaurant manager and an outstanding professional, was friendly without being familiar, knowledgeable without being patronising, and added immeasurably to our comfort and dining experience. We requested a booth opposite the open kitchen’s servery station, a prime position for those more interested in food than just satisfying their hunger, and were fascinated by the procedures we watched. Table & wine service was first-class, and inspiring to see so many highly-trained young people thoroughly enjoying their work.

As befitting all of the 5-star restaurants under your magic touch, Luke, the table set-up was not miserly. Glassware, cutlery, napery, whilst being very functional as opposed to just being ‘’pretty’’ , absolutely glow, gleam, glisten and sparkle.

Is the restaurant stuffy or too formal ? It may be for beer & pizza aficionado’s, - let’s hope so, Luke. For those however that like a restaurant with an ambience that resonates with happiness, is spacious, well-light, feels alive, and exudes a comfortable aura of value for money – I have no hesitation in advising family and best friends to visit you on the first floor of the Hilton Hotel at Surfers Paradise.

Cheers