“Great place to relax, right on the beach.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dorchester on the Beach

You added Dorchester on the Beach to your Saves list
Dorchester on the Beach
4.5 of 5 Condominium   |   3-7 Garfield Terrace, Surfers Paradise, Queensland 4217, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Book Direct for BEST Rate
Darwin, Australia
“Great place to relax, right on the beach.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

Overall I found the Dorchester to be a great place to stay.

The apartment lived up to the website's description; clean and tidy with everything needed for a comforatble stay. But the standout feature for mine has to be it's location.

We were using taxis to get around whilst in Surfers, so being so close to everything (Caval Av, Pacific Fair, the Casino, Bars, Restaraunts etc) was important. However, my Girlfriend and I were also looking to relax, so we needed somewhere that was also relatively quiet. The Dorchester building itself is located off the main drag, A few kilometers from the party precinct and backs directly onto the beach; we managed to tick both boxes. Throw in the amazing view, the fact that the back gate literally opens up right onto the beach, and you have a truely great spot to chill out.

Thanks go out to Rob and Pat, the Managers, who were very friendly and helpful during our stay.

I would recommend the Dorchester to anyone who is looking for a relaxing place to stay. It's probably not the best option if you are looking for a party atmosphere, seems more family focused; look for something closer to Caval.

Great overall - We'll be back.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Echuca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

The Dorchester is in a great location with incrediable views of Surfers on one side & Broadbeach with restaurants on the other ,both walkable distances from our appartment . We were on the fourth floor with breathtaking views of the ocean. The managers Rob & Pat were very helpful advising us on day trips & theme park tickets. Nothing was a problem for them. The children loved the pool and the convenience of being able to walk out the back gate to the beach. The b.b.q area is very clean & modern and the landscaped lawn & garden were a pleasure to see. The room had everything we needed to be self sufficent and it was very clean, we will certainly recommend the Dorchester to our friends and will be going back next October.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

Me and my family stayed here for 5 nights. The expencence of staying in this hotel was excellent the rooms were just what we wanted it was great for the kids. Right on the beach and had a great pool and everything was very clean. The Mangers Pat and Rob were excellent, so helpful and were willing to help when needed, such friendly people.It was quite and very relaxing. Me and my family do a fair bit of travelling and this hotel is on our top of the list of where we have stayed. I would reommend the Dorchester to anyone

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

I tried to book a apartment for my 20th birthday and was willing to pay $1400 for 4 nights, when I rung to book the apartment I advised one of the mangers it would be for my 20th birthday and a few people would come over for a dinner. She very very rudely said I could not stay as it is a family building and not a singles apartment building, she failed to let me tell her it was my family whom I was staying with and having dinner before she hung up on me. Management of this building is extremely rude and I was disgusted by the way this woman spoke to me. Do not bother with them!!!

• Stayed November 2010
Carole79Melbourne, Manager at Dorchester on the Beach, responded to this review, November 16, 2010
The Dorchester On the Beach is a quiet family orientated complex and unfortunately does not cater for large groups of singles. This point was nicely conveyed to the young lady who had advised that she was going to celebrate her 20th birthday. In the past it has caused undue stress in having to ask guests to leave following unruly behaviour. At no stage during the 60 second discussion with the young lady, was she spoken to rudely and definately was not hang up upon. The Dorchester prides itself in looking after families.
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

This was a great recommendation from friends that had previously stayed there. The rooms are three bedroom and very spacious, the view is magnificent, great to walk along the beach 10 minute walk to the Surfers ratrace but so peacful at the Dorchester.Nothcliffe SLSC three minute walk great for breakfast. We stayed in Unit 5 it was fine, its not the Versace but large rooms , clean and with teenage kids they just want to be on the beach.
We found the managers Bob and Pat lovely and great with our kids.
We will be coming back next year for sure

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Adelaide
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

I booked unit 7 with the managers about 3 months before travelling. I paid a deposit and received a receipt. One week before we were spose to arrive the Manager called me saying he had to cancel the booking because the owner wanted it. He offered to cancel our booking or put us in another room. I did not have much of a choice as to get accomodation over the easter period at such short notice was very difficult so I had to accept. Legally he said he could do it and did not want any "bad blood" in the complex. Mind you we had booked this room months in advance. The room we got was dirty, smaller than portrayed in the pictures, stained carpet, and bedspreads, windows all dirty. On arrival he showed us the appartment and said something very similar to the following - "This is an appartment complex not a hotel so once I have shown you the room you are on your own". Later in the stay I wanted to ask a few general questions such as which bus to catch to fishmans wharf etc, but felt I could not approach them because I was going to be bothering them. Bottom line is the Mangers are rude and not helpful - this is reflected in other reviews I have read. The bathroom had no toilet paper in it so I had to go out and buy some. After a long trip to get there was the last thing i wanted to do. I would not call the Dorchester 4.5 Star. I would rate it at a high 3 star. We ended up staying in unit 5 for info. The only good thing I can say about the place is the location. I would never stay there again. I recomend to give it a miss especially bookings with appartment 7. As the owner can cancel your booking any time he wants to take a holiday and leave you in the lurch. Bit of a con place i think.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

The building is right on the beach and close to the centre , but the unit was very dirty and every thing in it was past used by date.

I spent all the time cleaning , It was very stressfull to me .

I hate it and will definately never go back again especially with such managers on board too.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Been to Dorchester on the Beach? Share your experiences!