“Great location! more for couples.....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mantra Circle on Cavill

Save Saved
You added Mantra Circle on Cavill to your Saves list
Mantra Circle on Cavill
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9 Ferny Avenue, Surfers Paradise, Queensland 4217, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Stay Longer and Save
Ranked #23 of 74 hotels in Surfers Paradise
Melbourne, Australia
“Great location! more for couples.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed in a two bedroom apartment for 5 nights,adult room was great.beds comfortable. Kids beds seemed a bit smaller than a kids single not great for older bigger kids or adults.
The decor was great but the condition of tables were poor (Marks and dents)- if you want to be picky.
Carpets didn't seem clean and the cleaners only make beds,they do not clean the bath or vaccuum carpets- I tried vacuuming the carpets but the vacuum would not pick up a crumb.

Kitchen was neat and clean and great facilities....

We have stayed in 4 star hotels,resorts all over America,Vanuatu,Fiji and around Australia and this is the first time carpets and vanity units were not cleaned.
Overall the location is great a bit noisy even though we were on the 39th floor,not from the hotel just the locals on the streets - not for the light sleeper.

Pool was great for adults but not for little kids,we have stayed at the chevron a couple of doors up and they have a great lagoon pool for kids which is beautiful,we would stay at the chevron again next time.

Kids play area was not open and was 50 meters away from pool.

Room Tip: Stay in corner suite as it has the best views.Stay higher level as its noisy on the streets.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Julie G, Manager at Mantra Circle on Cavill, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thanks for your review, Maria. I have to agree with you, all apartments here at Mantra Circle on Cavill are very spacious and are perfect for those couples or families that want a self contained apartment hotel living while on holiday.

There is a few bits and bobs we can fine tune with our teams, so thank you for passing this through.

820 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Albany, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

For first timers to Surfers Paradise with a family, the Mantra Circle was a great choice. Fabulous location, central to shopping and transport with many options for restaurants / food close by. Apartment was spacious and well equipped. Great views with a good size balcony and outdoor setting that meant we could enjoy the outdoors as well. Rooms need to be repainted and a little more maintenance probably would not go astray but overall, clean with great amenities. Two bathrooms, laundry, fully equipped kitchen made it an easy stay. We booked the room from the previous night but did not arrive until the day after with a 6am arrival however, did not have to wait for room to be cleaned and were able to go straight in - worth every extra $$$. The Avenue - great pub, fab meals and good service and the Titanium Bar - great location, cheap drinks and good meals.

Room Tip: Choose the north tower - a little quieter than the south - views of river or ocean are both fabulous...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Julie G, Manager at Mantra Circle on Cavill, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
What a fabulous review. Yes, I have to agree with you, the location of Mantra Circle on Cavill is pretty good. Located on the ground floor of the towers you have Woolworths, and an array of restaurants, cafes and shops. We are only a short 5min walk to the main beach of Surfers Paradise, clubs and pubs, but far enough away from the hustle and bustle of Cavill mall.
You’ve provided some great advice on getting an early arrival in to a room. Thanks for the traveler tip. Hope to see you back here soon.
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I stayed here with my family for five nights during the January school holidays - overall is was a good experience and excellent value. We stayed in a 2 bedroom ocean spa apartment, which was huge and well appointed. The location is outstanding, right in the heart of Surfers and close to everything. Nice pools, easy car access, well functioning lifts (which is important in a high rise) and good facilities.

Unfortunately, there were some service and maintenance issues that dragged the whole experience down a little. The apartment was badly in need of a ‘refresh’. There were lots of scuff marks all over the place, and things that were broken or badly maintained. One got the impression that unless something was a deal-breaker, management would make no effort to fix it. For example, our TV remote control was missing the back plate that holds the batteries in – technically it still worked - but the batteries obviously kept falling out. I called reception to have it replaced, but no one ever bothered to come. Similarly, the plates/cups/utensils in the kitchen clearly hadn’t been restocked in ages. For some bizarre reason, we literally had 7 boiled egg cups, but only 2 teaspoons.

Overall we had a great time, but it is a shame that management can’t take a bit more care in the upkeep of their property. Still a great place to stay and I would recommend it to others, but I fear what this place will be like in another 5-10 years time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
I’m so pleased you thought your overall experience was a good apart from some minor hiccups which should have been attended to while you were here.

It’s our target to ensure prompt follow through with any guest issues during the guests stay with us, as our guests are all staying with us for an enjoyable experience and I am sincerely sorry that on this occasion we failed to meet this expectation with you.

I will be definitely sharing your review with the team here, and will be using your review as a training session to better improve our services.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Located in the best location, next to your main bus stop and all the shops and restaraunts are a quick walk down the road. The apartments themselves are well maintained and simple, tv reception is perfect and your kitchen is decked out with essentials. The staff are very friendly and everyone has been really helpful and nice. Would recommend and stay again myself, particularly for the price we paid which was in my opinion a steal.

• Stayed February 2013
Awesome! Sounds like we nailed it. This is great to read, the team will be so appreciative for the review. Can’t wait to see you again.
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The moment we checked in did not have a good feeling. No quick service at reception, everything was at a snails pace, arrived with whole family of 9, first trip for my elderly father and kept us waiting, and we arrived late in the afternoon so there shouldn't have been any delays. Requested 2 apartments on same floor level, got one on the 13th and the other on the 16th. Made it difficult to access each floor as keys/card entry only allows you to go to your own floor level. One apartment had not been cleaned thoroughly, bottle tops on carpet floor, windex cleaner and rags left behind in bathroom. Marks alll over the walls, sofa's stunk of stale sweat and falling apart. With 5 staying in one room, sofa bed was needed. Opened up the sofa bed only to find the hinges were just about off, absolutely not acceptable and unsafe. When we called reception they organised someone to have a look at it and said 'what's wrong with it!" Poor attitude from staff. Finally received two fold out beds.
Stove top plate one wasn't working, toaster wasn't working, cooking appliances, cutlery were missing. To accommodate the amount of people of 5 there were insufficient pots and pans, cutting board missing etc. All these issues we notified reception for and they replaced it but my view on this is if the manager wishes to reply back ... (make excuses for that is) is that when staying in a supposedly 4.5 star apartment these issues all shouldn't be overlooked, check if everything is in good working order prior to new guests arriving. It is unacceptable for us to have to advise and do the work for them. This is supposed to be an enjoyable and relaxing holiday!
Went to use the bbq facilities in the late afternoon in the south tower, they weren't working. Went to use bbq in north tower the lights weren't working. We let them know and they said they'd get on to it. Funny though because having read previous reviews from other people staying a couple of days prior to us, they had the same issues so obviously there was no priority in getting it fixed.
To top it off, the double size bed we were sleeping on became so uncomfortable, we just came to accept it but only realised on our last day as we were making sure that we didn't leave any belongings behind, we checked under the bed and lifted up the mattress only to find that half the wooden slats were completely broken.
If you call this a 4.5 star rating I suggest you look at places like the sheraton and the hilton. I would definitely never recommend this place to anyone. The only good thing about it was the overall view. Couldn't fault that!

Room Tip: Don't choose to stay here
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
I’m sorry that there was a delay upon check in, but appreciate the flexibility you gave us during our busy season. Unfortunately, as the hotel operates as a residential and hotel complex, not all apartments are on each floor. We try an allocate as close as we possibly can, but again when it’s our busy season we can’t always guarantee these special requests. I’m sorry that this wasn’t explained to you when you made your booking.

I was alarmed to hear about the cleaning standards of your apartment, there is no excuse for an unclean room, and I’m sorry that on this occasion we let you down. However, it was pleasing to read that our friendly reception teams were able to fix all your apartment issues, straight away.

Yes, the views are A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! It’s so relaxing to sit on the balcony with a morning coffee watching those waves roll in.

I hope you can give us a second chance, so we can show you the true Mantra experience.
australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed over the Australia day weekend which turned out to be near cyclonic conditions and had to extend our stay as our flights were cancelled due to the weather.

We had a one bedroom ocean view spa room. The view was great, looked straight up Cavil Ave to the beach (which was mainly hidden from view due to the torrential rain for our whole stay, so sad).
The room was nice and well layed out and was very clean. It had just about everything you would need to be self catering in the kitchen, cuttlery, plates pots and pans, utensils etc. There was also a small supply of tea and coffee and sugar. Washer and drier were also in the unit, although it took us a while to realise it was there as it was in a large built in wardrobe and we didnt know it was even there at first.

The bathroom was modern and clean with a great view through the bedroom and out to the coast, although you could drop some venetians for privacy.

During our stay due to the weather there were a couple of in room anouncements about the lifts and also asking everyone to bring in all furniture on the balconies and an extreme weather warning, I thought this showed they exercised a good duty of care during extgreme conditions.

The reception staff, hmmmm, exceptional service from one staff member and very very ordinary service from another, there was a bit of a mix up with our keys not working and them needing payment when we had to extend our stay due to the weather and canceled flights, it wasnt the mix up that bothered me but the way it was handled with one staff member being quite rude and just shrugging his shoulders when I was trying to sort out the issue, anyway another very helpful staff member stepped in and it was all sorted easily in the end, really I am pretty forgiving but how this was all initially handled was not acceptable.

The gym looked ok and there were two pools which we would like to have enjoyed. There were BBQs as well in the pool area.

The location is fantastic, right on Cavil Ave, very close to the mall and the beach and the main tourist hub of Surfers. Hire cars available a few hundred meters up the road, main bus stop very close, they will also ring a taxi for you from reception if needed.

These apartments are not serviced daily, you will get fresh towels everyday, although we saw a few people complaining they hadn't had fresh towels. Not to worry you can pop them in the washing machine and clean them yourself if worse comes to worse, but a call to reception should see you recieve fresh ones. Only one time during our 3 night stay was our rubbish collected, we didnt have much, not sure what they have in place for clearing your rubbish normally.

So overall, fantastic central location, great views, well set out rooms, easy enough to self cater (there is a woolies right at the exit of the building) or go out for every meal as there is so much around the area.

I would gladly stay there again, maybe next time some sunshine would be nice so we could enjoy the fantastic view.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Katie S, General Manager at Mantra Circle on Cavill, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Pippy5

Thank you so much for your detailed review, I couldn't have been clearer myself in the overall details of your review on our services and the room facilities. It was such a shame that you were travelling over the Australia Day weekend when we experienced the unfortunate strong weather pattern. I really appreciate your understanding and your overall commendation on how the team managed the property throughout the severe weather. I am sorry about the team member you initially encountered about your keys, I can only apologise however it is pleasing that another team member could see the situation and jumped in to assist you and turn this around quickly with the solution it required. All in all you have summarised everything really well and we hope your review assists our future travellers.

Kind Regards
Katie Scholes - General Manager
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This was my second time staying here with my partner, and were very pleased with our first stay, so knew what to expect with our room. The room was fantastic as usual, pleasant view from the 10th floor, even though I didn't pay for an ocean view room, it appears a lot of rooms have a good view anyway.
I came in on the Sunday as the terrible storms were coming in, which unfortunately led to flooding of the level which goes out to Cavill Mall, and power being out in some of the lifts. It was easy to tell that guests were very irritable and stressed out, and I even witnessed one guest taking it out on the reception staff, swearing and carrying on. Obviously these were circumstances out of anyone's control and I thought that the reception staff carried themselves extremely well in this situation, kept their calm, and explained the situation the best they could. When I was served, I was given the same courteous service as I have always had, and staff still had a smile on their face despite the stressful circumstances.
Definitely staying again, and kudos to the staff on the desk during the storm weekend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi KerriB

Words cannot describe how happy I am to read your review. I often feel that the great reviews don't always get posted to our Tripadvisor page so it is great to see you commend our impeccable service over what was a difficult weekend for the Gold Coast. It is even more comforting to know that we do offer consistency in our service and standards as you have stayed with us twice now and know your expectations are going to be met. We look forward to welcoming you back for your third stay. If you email through your next dates of stay to circle.res@mantra.com.au we will ensure you are well looked after and have another great 5 star experience.

Been to Mantra Circle on Cavill? Share your experiences!