“Couldn't ask for better!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mantra Circle on Cavill

You added Mantra Circle on Cavill to your Saves list
Mantra Circle on Cavill
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9 Ferny Avenue, Surfers Paradise, Queensland 4217, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay Longer and Save
Ranked #15 of 58 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
“Couldn't ask for better!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Located in the best location, next to your main bus stop and all the shops and restaraunts are a quick walk down the road. The apartments themselves are well maintained and simple, tv reception is perfect and your kitchen is decked out with essentials. The staff are very friendly and everyone has been really helpful and nice. Would recommend and stay again myself, particularly for the price we paid which was in my opinion a steal.

• Stayed February 2013
Julie G, Manager at Mantra Circle on Cavill, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Awesome! Sounds like we nailed it. This is great to read, the team will be so appreciative for the review. Can’t wait to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The moment we checked in did not have a good feeling. No quick service at reception, everything was at a snails pace, arrived with whole family of 9, first trip for my elderly father and kept us waiting, and we arrived late in the afternoon so there shouldn't have been any delays. Requested 2 apartments on same floor level, got one on the 13th and the other on the 16th. Made it difficult to access each floor as keys/card entry only allows you to go to your own floor level. One apartment had not been cleaned thoroughly, bottle tops on carpet floor, windex cleaner and rags left behind in bathroom. Marks alll over the walls, sofa's stunk of stale sweat and falling apart. With 5 staying in one room, sofa bed was needed. Opened up the sofa bed only to find the hinges were just about off, absolutely not acceptable and unsafe. When we called reception they organised someone to have a look at it and said 'what's wrong with it!" Poor attitude from staff. Finally received two fold out beds.
Stove top plate one wasn't working, toaster wasn't working, cooking appliances, cutlery were missing. To accommodate the amount of people of 5 there were insufficient pots and pans, cutting board missing etc. All these issues we notified reception for and they replaced it but my view on this is if the manager wishes to reply back ... (make excuses for that is) is that when staying in a supposedly 4.5 star apartment these issues all shouldn't be overlooked, check if everything is in good working order prior to new guests arriving. It is unacceptable for us to have to advise and do the work for them. This is supposed to be an enjoyable and relaxing holiday!
Went to use the bbq facilities in the late afternoon in the south tower, they weren't working. Went to use bbq in north tower the lights weren't working. We let them know and they said they'd get on to it. Funny though because having read previous reviews from other people staying a couple of days prior to us, they had the same issues so obviously there was no priority in getting it fixed.
To top it off, the double size bed we were sleeping on became so uncomfortable, we just came to accept it but only realised on our last day as we were making sure that we didn't leave any belongings behind, we checked under the bed and lifted up the mattress only to find that half the wooden slats were completely broken.
If you call this a 4.5 star rating I suggest you look at places like the sheraton and the hilton. I would definitely never recommend this place to anyone. The only good thing about it was the overall view. Couldn't fault that!

Room Tip: Don't choose to stay here
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
I’m sorry that there was a delay upon check in, but appreciate the flexibility you gave us during our busy season. Unfortunately, as the hotel operates as a residential and hotel complex, not all apartments are on each floor. We try an allocate as close as we possibly can, but again when it’s our busy season we can’t always guarantee these special requests. I’m sorry that this wasn’t explained to you when you made your booking.

I was alarmed to hear about the cleaning standards of your apartment, there is no excuse for an unclean room, and I’m sorry that on this occasion we let you down. However, it was pleasing to read that our friendly reception teams were able to fix all your apartment issues, straight away.

Yes, the views are A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! It’s so relaxing to sit on the balcony with a morning coffee watching those waves roll in.

I hope you can give us a second chance, so we can show you the true Mantra experience.
australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed over the Australia day weekend which turned out to be near cyclonic conditions and had to extend our stay as our flights were cancelled due to the weather.

We had a one bedroom ocean view spa room. The view was great, looked straight up Cavil Ave to the beach (which was mainly hidden from view due to the torrential rain for our whole stay, so sad).
The room was nice and well layed out and was very clean. It had just about everything you would need to be self catering in the kitchen, cuttlery, plates pots and pans, utensils etc. There was also a small supply of tea and coffee and sugar. Washer and drier were also in the unit, although it took us a while to realise it was there as it was in a large built in wardrobe and we didnt know it was even there at first.

The bathroom was modern and clean with a great view through the bedroom and out to the coast, although you could drop some venetians for privacy.

During our stay due to the weather there were a couple of in room anouncements about the lifts and also asking everyone to bring in all furniture on the balconies and an extreme weather warning, I thought this showed they exercised a good duty of care during extgreme conditions.

The reception staff, hmmmm, exceptional service from one staff member and very very ordinary service from another, there was a bit of a mix up with our keys not working and them needing payment when we had to extend our stay due to the weather and canceled flights, it wasnt the mix up that bothered me but the way it was handled with one staff member being quite rude and just shrugging his shoulders when I was trying to sort out the issue, anyway another very helpful staff member stepped in and it was all sorted easily in the end, really I am pretty forgiving but how this was all initially handled was not acceptable.

The gym looked ok and there were two pools which we would like to have enjoyed. There were BBQs as well in the pool area.

The location is fantastic, right on Cavil Ave, very close to the mall and the beach and the main tourist hub of Surfers. Hire cars available a few hundred meters up the road, main bus stop very close, they will also ring a taxi for you from reception if needed.

These apartments are not serviced daily, you will get fresh towels everyday, although we saw a few people complaining they hadn't had fresh towels. Not to worry you can pop them in the washing machine and clean them yourself if worse comes to worse, but a call to reception should see you recieve fresh ones. Only one time during our 3 night stay was our rubbish collected, we didnt have much, not sure what they have in place for clearing your rubbish normally.

So overall, fantastic central location, great views, well set out rooms, easy enough to self cater (there is a woolies right at the exit of the building) or go out for every meal as there is so much around the area.

I would gladly stay there again, maybe next time some sunshine would be nice so we could enjoy the fantastic view.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Katie S, General Manager at Mantra Circle on Cavill, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Pippy5

Thank you so much for your detailed review, I couldn't have been clearer myself in the overall details of your review on our services and the room facilities. It was such a shame that you were travelling over the Australia Day weekend when we experienced the unfortunate strong weather pattern. I really appreciate your understanding and your overall commendation on how the team managed the property throughout the severe weather. I am sorry about the team member you initially encountered about your keys, I can only apologise however it is pleasing that another team member could see the situation and jumped in to assist you and turn this around quickly with the solution it required. All in all you have summarised everything really well and we hope your review assists our future travellers.

Kind Regards
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This was my second time staying here with my partner, and were very pleased with our first stay, so knew what to expect with our room. The room was fantastic as usual, pleasant view from the 10th floor, even though I didn't pay for an ocean view room, it appears a lot of rooms have a good view anyway.
I came in on the Sunday as the terrible storms were coming in, which unfortunately led to flooding of the level which goes out to Cavill Mall, and power being out in some of the lifts. It was easy to tell that guests were very irritable and stressed out, and I even witnessed one guest taking it out on the reception staff, swearing and carrying on. Obviously these were circumstances out of anyone's control and I thought that the reception staff carried themselves extremely well in this situation, kept their calm, and explained the situation the best they could. When I was served, I was given the same courteous service as I have always had, and staff still had a smile on their face despite the stressful circumstances.
Definitely staying again, and kudos to the staff on the desk during the storm weekend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi KerriB

Words cannot describe how happy I am to read your review. I often feel that the great reviews don't always get posted to our Tripadvisor page so it is great to see you commend our impeccable service over what was a difficult weekend for the Gold Coast. It is even more comforting to know that we do offer consistency in our service and standards as you have stayed with us twice now and know your expectations are going to be met. We look forward to welcoming you back for your third stay. If you email through your next dates of stay to circle.res@mantra.com.au we will ensure you are well looked after and have another great 5 star experience.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I took my partner for his birthday and spent a long weekend in Gold Coast so we can visit the theme parks.

We got a really great rates for our stay and was pretty happy with everything. We didn't spend much time in our room as we were busy visiting the theme parks and walking around surfers paradise as this is our first time to Surfers.

Location was quite central and we can walk to nearly everywhere. We didn't notice anything bad about the room and all in all was quite a pleasant stay.

Only problem we had was there were too many boisterous drunk young people making havoc in the hotel, we had to call the reception as our next door neighbours kept us awake all night with their partying. This was resolved after we called as they sent the security and found out there were 15 people inside a 1 bedroom apartment having a party.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi LittelQT

Fabulous review, sounds like you had a great little stay with us!

Thank you for sharing your positive experience and comments.

Katie Scholes
Alice Springs, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed for what was suppose to be a relaxing four days. We secured an excellent price on a 2 bedroom, 2 bath ocean view apartment with a spa tub. The first apartment we were given had no A/C. When I brought this to the attention of the hotel staff, they informed me that they knew the A/C was not working, however, they checked us into the room, anyway. I had to argue with them quite a bit to get them to change our room. I was under the impression that they were expecting me to accept the fact there was no A/C. After waiting about one hour, they finally moved us to another room. The room was in a nice location. We had a view of the ocean and the canals. This was the rooms only saving grace. After being in the room for about 10 minutes, I noticed a disgusting smell. I traced the smell to the dishwasher. It was running and when I opened it up, it looked like someone had vomited in the dishwasher. I brought this to the attention of the hotel staff. They sent someone up to have a look at it and I was told the dishwasher was backed up because of the previous tennant. The maintenance people were off duty and I wouldn't be able to get it looked at until the next day. We almost went 24 hours with this smell leeching from the dishwasher. We were compensated by the hotel with a buffett voucher at one of their other hotels, which was average, as well. Next, the beds in the rooms were absolutely the most uncomfortable things we have ever slept on. I can sleep on the floor, however, I couldn't sleep on these beds. The mattress is so thin that you can feel every spring. Last, the furniture is very cheap and dated. The apartment was laid out very nice and was very roomy. With an upgrade in furniture/bedding and better service, this could be a nice hotel. Like I mentioned before, the location was excellent and the views were superb. This was the only saving grace of the hotel and the only thing that kept it from getting a rating of poor.

Room Tip: Request a corner room for views of both the ocean and the canals.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Hi 5STARCAMPER
I am sorry about your air conditioning issues upon your arrival. All of our apartments have individual air conditioning with individual climate controls for our guests comfort during their stay. We do have fabulous weather on the Gold Coast and the sun streams into the apartments. We like to look after the environment and therefore we turn the air conditioning off when we leave the apartments as they do cool down effectively and efficiently. Sounds like there was a miscommunication on the air conditioning fault and then we moved you to another apartment promptly. I really can't explain the dishwasher issue however this is clearly not acceptable. If you have the time please send me the apartment number you stayed in and I will thoroughly audit the unit to ensure this is completed in our new refurbishment in stage 1 so our guests can enjoy our new comfy beds and contemporary surrounds.

Toowoomba
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Great spot but that is where it all ended! Dirty room; the shelf where the crockery was stored was a film of grease and dirt, as was the top of the fridge, the sliding door to the bathroom was off the guides completely, furtniture you would expect in a roadside budget motel the laminate on everything was bubbling and peeling off, the table on the balcony was so unstable it was unusable, had to request extra pillows (only 2 total supplied), the bed had a loose spring which would pop out evertime you rolled over, little things like the curtains all up and the heat of the day streaming in when we arrived it was like a sauna, the ice cube tray was empty so no chance of a drink to cool you down. The lift system is so inconvenient that you tend to stay in your room instead of going down for even a walk (worst trip down 25 mins) had go down to the 4th floor then walk across to the next tower and wait for another lift to get down to the access floor. The young lady at the checkout was shocked when I mentioned a few of these complaints but talking to others waiting in line it should not have been a surprise as 2 other groups said the same thing. Talking of waiting in line, it was check out time with about 20 groups waiting to leave and there was only one member of staff on duty. Sorry, but we will never use the faclitiy again and would definitley not recommend anyone else to either! Should be rated 3 stars or less, who checks and awards these things because they need to revisit here!

Room Tip: Go to another motel near by
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Paul S

Disappointed to review your disappointing review!!
Please can you contact me directly so I can investigate your apartment and stay more thoroughly? We are currently working through a refurbishment of the apartments replacing existing furniture with some WOW pieces with a splash of colour for our guest’s enjoyment. We look forward to sharing these images with our on line followers shortly and I can assure you that you won't be disappointed if you give us another chance.

Katie Scholes - General Manager

Been to Mantra Circle on Cavill? Share your experiences!