“Karen/Scott Sept / Oct 2013” 3 of 5 stars

The Sands Holiday Apartments
40 The Esplanade, Surfers Paradise, Queensland 4217, Australia   |
Ranked #48 of 58 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Wynyard, Tasmania, Australia
“Karen/Scott Sept / Oct 2013”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

So convenient to Cavill Avenue. Stayed on 6th floor and had a fantastic view. Yes it was a little dated but clean and comfortable. Has all the facilities including cooking and washing you would require.Good clean comfortable bed. Value for money. Quiet even though the Esplanade was between us and the beach. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for an Ocean View. 6th floor or above.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
oceankade, Manager at The Sands Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you Karen for your kind review because it has been disappointing lately due to a bad young long term tenant and her domestic violence issues writing a number of bad reviews especially when she wasn't even a holiday guest and comments on my neat and trim uniform when she herself wore a uniform to work and commenting on a dvd player when there was no dvd player supplied for her long term tenancy. She was given all the correct 2 months notice to leave under our regulations.

I look forward to meeting you again and thanks very much appreciated. The weather is great at the moment

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
sydney australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We booked 5 nights at The Sands in a 2 bedroom apartment on the sixth floor. The 120 degree ocean views are wonderful. The beds were lovely and comfortable. Some of the lounge furniture was a bit old but generally we were in heaven and increased our booking for another 2 nights. The evening night markets are just outside the door too - on 3 nights. And, of course, the beach is just over the road. There are lots of cafes and restaurants nearby. Fabulous.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Queensland.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I would rather pay a little more for a little better quality.
It is cheaper than many other apartments in the area; but it is in a good convenient location and has all the facilities we needed.
Not sure we would book this one again.
They were not particularly friendly.
Good spot and excellent view of the coast line.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Before arrival I called up to find out if I had to pay a bond on arrival, I was informed that I did not then when I arrived I was told I owed $350 for bond. When I couldn't pay that the onsite manager told me she could reduce it to $200 but I had only budgeted for a short, cheap stay. She refunded my stay minus a commission fee from the booking company. When I called the booking company they informed me that she had no right to try and charge me $350 in the first place and that she doesn't get charged commission for canceling our reservation. She was very rude and I was close to tears (my romantic weekend just got ruined and then this lady was being horrible too).
The hotel had the smallest pool I'd ever seen and the office is only opened for a couple of hours everyday. It was old and dirty. I would not recommend these apartments to anyone. There are far better, cheaper hotels closer to Cavill.

• Stayed February 2013
The guest has misunderstood that we do not take a bond it is a bank pre authorisation button on the eftpos machines which does a pre authorisation with their bank and no money is taken from their card. The apartments are all privately owned and it is like any hotel worldwide a pre authorisation of the credit card is taken for any breakages, loss of keys etc

The pre authorisation is with the guests bank and the use of the money is released by their bank to the guest automatically after a few working days. The guests must appreciate duty of care for the owners possessions.

It is unfortunate the guests feel that they would not be responsible for additional costs and to assist the couple I reduced to compromise when it was ascertained the guests were travelling with little funds.

I am surprised to the comments as I endeavoured to assist and compromise with their situation and the booking company was advised incorrectly in the explanation of the pre authorisation.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

great location.but very tired needs updating.big room with some of the best views.one block from cavill ave.need to bring your own beach towels,I think the so called witch may well be misunderstood,I think she may be sick of the young punks who yahoo all hours of the night.

Room Tip: stayed in ocean view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

stayed a couple of days at the sands apartments,recently. great location with beautiful ocean views. room was very clean and comfortable bedding. manager very helpful with all my queries on where to go for dining and entertainment. Very good value for your money at these apartments.

Room Tip: ask for room with ocean view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

I had the unfortunate experience of staying here on Saturday night.
I should have known when I first called up with an enquiry and spoke to a lady on the phone with the worst manners ever and then when trying to book this night, found the whole way backwards by having to fax her your information.... Who uses faxed nowadays?!!!!!
Every single review on this website is 100% true about the site manager.... Named by myself as the pitbull!
On arrival, this woman was completely rude, had no manners what so ever, was aggressive in her speech, accused us of trying to sneek people in when a friend was visiting for an hour and offended me so badly that if it hadn't of been so late, I would have told her where to stick her apartment!!!!!!!!
It felt like a big brother experience as I was reminded about her 26 cameras that she has watching her guests!!!!
The room was ok although the bathroom taps wouldn't turn and the ceiling fan did not work.
On check out, she did not thank us for staying there, didn't have the decency to ask us how our stay there had been and when I told her about the rooms faults, she couldnt even apologise!!!!!!
Who ever owns these apartments needs to get this dragon out and before long, there will be no customers going there all because of one woman, appropriately named the pitbull.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to The Sands Holiday Apartments? Share your experiences!