“Loved the atmosphere ” 4 of 5 stars
Review of QT Port Douglas

You added QT Port Douglas to your Saves list
QT Port Douglas
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   87-109 Port Douglas Road, Port Douglas, Queensland 4877, Australia (Formerly Rydges)   |
Ranked #20 of 45 Hotels in Port Douglas
“Loved the atmosphere ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

stayed here 1 night for a 2 day work conference. Got in early at 9.30am and 1 of our 2 rooms was ready and they let us check in! That came as a pleasant surprise straight away. The room was the garden view room and was really lovely! The staff uniforms left a lot to be desired and not much to the imagination with the girls! The venue was beautifully designed and decorated and I'd be happy to stay there again.

Stayed July 2014
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Port Douglas, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear gorgeous QT Port Douglas guest,

Thanks so much for a brilliant shout out! We love that you loved us and look forward to seeing you again soonest.

QT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stayed 1 night at this hotel in July and this is what we found:
- Hotel room itself is spacious and modern with lots of bright vibrant colours which I love. The hotel has an interesting concept in that a lot of the things within the room itself are actually for sale. But that is when we realised there was no room for practicality. For instance there were no baggage racks which meant everything had to go onto the floor - very inconvenient. The hairdryer was for sale... does that mean one can't use it if required? And even if you wanted to purchase, would one really want to buy one that's been used by previous patrons? Hmm.... Oh and by the way - when you're listing something for sale like a metal pineapple, make sure you remove the old price of $30 on the bottom when you're listing it for sale at $45...
- Bed was large and very comfortable BUT unfortunately my sleep was disturbed by a group of very loud obnoxious ill-mannered girls in the room opposite who wouldn't stop laughing and talking loudly and playing music loudly into the early hours of the morning. Yes we complained about the noise but then you could hear them even flirting with the guy who was sent to shut them up!! They didn't seem to take note and continued on their merry way throughout the night which made this the worst night to put up with - not really a fault of the hotel but seriously people have some respect for others!!! Next time I will be tempted to simply call the police to attend...
- The shower isn't properly sealed, as water was still able to spurt out between the joins which meant a small puddle of water piling up outside and which unfortunately soaked some clothing left on the floor, so not happy with that!
- There was free room WIFI which connected well, however we had to ring up for the password as reception ommitted to mention this to us on time of checking in.
- There is plenty of free parking available. We had a hire car and found it wasn't very far from the main city area, although it would be too far to walk there on foot...

Overall this hotel had very little character despite its desire to be vibrant and modern. We booked the hotel as a mystery hotel but even then it was not cheap and I would definitely not be back here any time soon.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear past QT guest,

We appreciate your feedback and will take time to run through it with our team. I do think you mean 'Mogans live here', not 'Bogans live here' though.

Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

The Good:

Fantastic breakfast (and barista coffee at extra cost). Breakfast was really great. There was a wide variety of options on offer and it really added value to the experience of staying at QT. The restaurant and bar staff were super friendly, I couldn't fault them.

The housekeeping staff were bright and happy which is a great change. Each time you would walk past them they would smile and say hello. This is a real refreshing change.

The gardens are great here and there is an impressive lagoon on the property next to the restaurant which has a collection of exotic fish. Much of this is unnoticed by guests and perhaps QT could use this asset more to their advantage?

The room we stayed in was a self-contained one bedroom apartment. Now we didn't expect this and it was a pleasant surprise to stay in a massive room with 2 large flat screen TVs, 2 balconies and so on. The room also had a small kitchen but I was puzzled to discover there was no range hood, so I'm not sure how it would go cooking inside (I never tried)?

The complimentary Wifi was very good at this hotel as compared to other major resorts I've been to. QT clearly value this facility for guests.

The pool area is quite large and space never seemed to be an issue and there was always a lounge chair to be had.

We also tried the buffet dinner at $65 per head one evening. Now this is expensive, however the variety of food was expansive and the seafood was a plenty. You have to expect this price in Port Douglas Australia for what was on offer. The food was delicious and we really enjoyed ourselves!

The Bad:

The pool is too cold for winter even in Port Douglas. It could be tolerable if they heated the spas, but this wasn't the case. This isn't an issue just for QT Port Douglas as I experienced this at other resorts in Queensland. I think this comes down to money.

We hired 2 bikes from the gym one day which were complimentary to resort guests. However, the hand-over process is bordering on stupidity. I had to fill out a condition report on 2 bikes which were not worth more than $50 each. It was so stupid and a waste of everybody's time. The condition report was highly detailed and it was up to me (the guest) to perform tests on the bikes and a detailed inspection of the condition. It is pertinent to note that I hired a $30,000 car for my stay in Port Douglas and I didn't have to fill out a condition report like I did for these worthless bikes. Here is an idea QT, why don't you keep a condition report on each bike, let the guest know the known faults/condition and for them to report back to QT if they feel it's any different? Why does a condition report have to be performed from scratch on each occasion? Really, they were cheap bikes and not worth the trouble of the process. Also, there is no booking system for the bikes, so you have to walk all the way to the gym, some 200 metres to find out all the bikes are gone. Could it have been too much trouble for front desk to call the gym and find out availability upon my enquiry?

All in all, this is a good modern place to stay with a young funky vibe and a killer breakfast to boot. However, some processes need reviewing.

Room Tip: Mosquitos do inhabit the area. Bring repellant and spray it under your door.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear past QT Port Douglas guest,

We appreciate your feedback and will take time to run through it with our team.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

I liked this place, I think QT hotels have a great feel to them with the modern and bright decors. The lobby and bar area is great for indoor and outdoor food and drinks featuring a pool table and table tennis. Overall it was a very pleasant experience, fans and air cons in rooms which is a bonus, nice breakfast buffet. Overall good value

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Perfect base to explore N.QLD. Nice modern room, lovely pool area, trendy vibrant bar area, young attentive staff, magic breakfast buffet, nice lap pool and gymn, outdoor cinema too! What prevented a 5 rating?: evening meal was a shocker. $190 for two adults and two kids for a buffet, with indifferent service attitudes. For this sort of price I would expect 5 star food and service - they gave neither. They don't even have a desert menu. All in all though a great place.

Stayed July 2014

Ashmore, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

QT Port Douglas has a lovely, enviable set-up. It has a wonderful tropical, relaxed feel and is modern and stylish. The grounds and pool are lovely and our room was great. We were on the 3rd floor and looked out to more tropical greenery. My feedback would be - feels a little like kids are running it - would have been good to see a few more 'adults' with a slightly more professional attitude about the place. I know, i know, this is the QT vibe but it just felt like there was no authority anywhere just giving every one a gentle push to remember that even though it is 'casual' you still need to be 'on the ball'. We had a plastic bag and a big bit of dirt/dust that stayed outside in the walkway for our entire 4 day stay. We got to look at it everyday but no staff thought to pick it up. I was kind of interested to see if it was going to get cleaned up. I called reception on Saturday to hire a bike but she put me through to the gym saying they looked after bike bookings. Got answering machine so went over myself to find it closed! At 2.30pm on a Saturday! So despite no warnings anywhere, you can't hire a bike or go to the gym after 2pm on a Saturday or Sunday. Also, I popped down to reception one night to see if i could borrow a tablet/pc to make a airline booking but the girl couldn't help me and needed to ask her Manager who she couldn't get hold of. I gave her my room number and said to call in the next 15mins if she found the manager otherwise I'd pop down tomorrow. Suffice to say I never heard and didn't bother. I find this strange that a funky modern hotel couldn't help me with this request! Overall the staff were friendly. QT is well located...a 10min bike ride into Port Douglas and an ever shorter car/bus ride. Take a cab though...cheaper than the greedy bus that pulls through...$16 for 2 adults and 2 kids. $13 in the taxi and a more pleasant driver. So much to do in Port Douglas and around, you can survive without a car as often the organised tours pick you up from the hotel, as well as the airport connection (which was very good), but if you want to leave the hotel a lot and eat elsewhere...I'd probably stay closer into town. QT is great if you have a car and great if you want to sit poolside and relax. Overall I would definitely recommend QT to travellers, and for QT I would suggest just upping it a notch with attention to detail. Update those in house guides with the fact that bikes are not available after 2pm on the weekend for a start...

Room Tip: I liked being on the top (third level) and was very happy with our rooms in the Daiquiri wing
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Just stayed here for a week .... arrived at 1.45pm for our "certain 2pm checkin" and was told would be 30 minutes wait, after 30 minutes told still not ready and given drink voucher - room was eventually ready at 3.15pm. Whilst waiting we decided to order lunch, took 50 minutes to arrive...This was the pattern every time we ordered food. We would order 1 hour before required. One day after seeing everyone complaining and about 7 tables waiting in front of us we drove to a cafe in town, got a takeaway and brought back to the pool!!

Resort seemed to be staffed by teenagers which gave it a young and funky vibe but service indifferent.

Rooms were bright but smelled a little musty, ask for a top floor. Didn't appear to be cleaned at all on the first day but improved a little later..... Tried to cook the toast in the convection microwave but was a long and drawn out experience every day....need a toaster...

Didn't seem too busy as could get a sun lounger every day, could do with a few more umbrellas for shade.

We normally stay at the Sheraton as love the big pool area, but it is a little tired hence tried the QT.

Best part of the QT is the central eating, drinking, pool and table tennis area.... and also enjoyed the music played around the pool area from the pool bar every day.

Pool was freezing, even the kids complained !!!

Room Tip: High up to avoid mosquitos and less musty...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear past QT guest,

We appreciate your feedback and will take time to run through it with our team.

QT

Been to QT Port Douglas? Share your experiences!