“Excellent hotel with the friendliest staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of QT Port Douglas

You added QT Port Douglas to your Saves list
QT Port Douglas
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   87-109 Port Douglas Road, Port Douglas, Queensland 4877, Australia (Formerly Rydges)   |
Ranked #22 of 45 Hotels in Port Douglas
Far North Queensland
“Excellent hotel with the friendliest staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We are locals from Cairns who stayed at this resort for a couple of days to celebrate my daughters 21st birthday. I can honestly say that the staff were amazing so friendly and helpful. The rooms are amazing so beautifully designed. The resort has recently undergone refurbishment and it is stunning. The food is really good. The Bazaar restaurant is a must it is a novel idea a kind of interactive buffet where you choose your food and tell the chef how to cook. It was so good. There is a bar that does amazing food to we loved the wagyu sliders yummy !
Thank you to all the staff was an excellent stay. The weather was torrential rain unfortunately but that's the tropics . this resort has thought of everything wet weather activities, games, umbrellas in the rooms . Top notch few days :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Port Douglas, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Hi Kaneko1,

Oh, I just do not think I can stand it! I am so overwhelmed by the magnificent reviews of our staff on here. We know that they are perfect, but it is another thing for them to be so lovingly reminded of it on here (as you know TripAdvisor can sometimes be a very scary place for hotels and their staff!).

Thanks for taking the time to review us. We really appreciate every minute you took.

QT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

On a mom's weekend away from the kids/family and the QT Port Douglas didn't disappoint! We had a garden view room on the second floor (did have to lug the bags up the steps/no elevator) but the room was cute. One bed for the two of us (that brought me back to the university days of everybody cramming into a bed!!!) but with my bed at home filled with one/two/both of my kids, it didn't phase me! Room wasn't huge, but definitely decorated well. We did have an issue with ants in our room, and so we were brought a can of raid. Didn't do much, so we had ants in our toilettries, suitcases, and our food (which was sealed rather well) was ruined :(. Raid didn't touch the issue.
Needless to say, we really enjoyed the breakfasts with cook to order food alongside a regular assortment of buffet items too. Chefs there were very willing to accomodate my egg-white only omellettes - they were delicious!
The bar was great and had lots going on at most times. Our favorite was the swim-up bar, although the staff there were VERY laid back (too much so at times)
We liked the vibe at the entire hotel, it was good for families (not too snooty or singles oriented) but not geared for the super young either. I'm 38 and not looking to hang out with people half my age!!!
I would highly recommend it for a couple or for a friend's getaway, or even a bachelor/bachelorette party. It has everything you need, and 99% of what you'd want - AND the price was right in line with other hotels, in fact cheaper than most. And most others don't include breakfast etc.
All this reminiscing makes me want to go back.... darn... :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hi fichyflaca,

Yay! Another girls weekend at the hotel with an awesome outcome. You ladies are seriously reminding me that I need to plan a trip with my girlfriends to QT Port Douglas! I am seriously hanging for some pina colada by the pool time!

I am delighted that you got to experience our lovely staff and delicious Bazaar dining option. Nest time you come our spaQ day spa will be ready to go also. A trifecta!

See you soon.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We stayed at QT in November in a 1 bedroom villa garden view room. It looks like a lot of effort has gone into the refurbishment, and the whole resort feels very modern and relaxed. The staff are the friendliest I've ever encountered, and all went out of their way to be helpful and pleasant.

Our room was bigger than I'd expected, with 2 balconies and a perfectly private view. The bedroom had both an air conditioner and a ceiling fan, so we were always at a comfortable temperature. Disappointingly, the "king bed" was actually two singles pushed together, and very uncomfortable. I'd expected better from a place of this quality. My only other gripe is that the bathroom would really benefit from some ventilation - it tended to steam up the whole room after two showers.

We booked on the opening special, so had breakfasts and a dinner at Bazaar included. Very impressive set up, not your typical hotel fare, and the chefs were happy to help you find all they had to offer. Best of all was that the empty table next to us at dinner was slowly taken over by green tree frogs as we ate, so we got a show of local wildlife included!

I was a little surprised by the large number of families here, as they tend to give a less family-friendly impression. We had been looking forward to spending time at the swim-up bar, but the pool was pretty much permanently dominated by playing kids, so we gave it a miss. Not a problem, as the bar was a lovely place to relax with some cushions and a cocktail instead.

Overall it was a really pleasant stay, and if I could be sure of a good night's sleep I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms are private and quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hey SkyeB,

Whopeeeeee! Another fantastic staffing review. They are absolutely nailing it! Good on them. They are such wonderful people.

So sorry that you did not get to enjoy a wonderful sleep on your holiday. It really is an important component of your stay. We dont get this feedback often so will try and figure out how we can make this a non-issue in the future.

Thanks for the lovely feedback on our Bazaar dining option. It is just the best. Everytime I eat there I am delighted by how fresh and flavoursome the food is. Although I should be biased (and I am to a certain extent) but food is something you cannot much around with when you are a foodie and I love, love, love it there!

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

My husband & I stayed 2 nights here in the Christmas/New Year period, in a one bedroom garden view villa, which is basically a one bedroom apartment. Room was pretty good, spacious, good sized shower, no bath, small vanity space in bathroom. Bed was comfy, decor chic with having the option of purchasing many of the decor items. Pool area was okay but fairly small for the amount of people that were staying there, pool lights up blue at night which looks really cool, the foyer & bar areas are lovely. Check in service was excellent. Food at Bazaar was great - although breakfast buffet was good quality but lacked the variety of a 5 star buffet (eg Sofitel). The main frustration with this Hotel, & the thing that would make us hesitate to come back, was the slowness & lack of professionalism in food & beverage staff. Drinks took an eternity from the pool bar despite not being very busy, it seemed staff were more interested in looking cool than getting the job done. Likewise the main bar service was very slow despite having plenty of staff there. I've seen far busier bars managed by a single bar person & the only reason I can think service was slow was that staff were very inexperienced. There were also some glitches with housekeeping & there was no 'do not disturb' card in our room & when I called reception to inquire about it, the male staff member seemed disinterested, Otherwise, QT was a very positive experience for the price. As an added note, drink prices were very reasonable, particularly with the QT member card which gives 20% off.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi EuroChic70,

Thanks so much for a great comprehensive review. We will check out any hiccups you had on your stay and follow them up with the relevant departments, and celebrate the wins with the rest of the hotel!

We would love to see you again.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed at the QT in September and what a fantastic resort for all walks of life. Couples, honeymooners or families, QT Port Douglas has something for everyone.

We have stayed in five star resorts before, but QT offers something you don’t get at your USUAL five star resorts. Every member of staff were delightful – from reception to the pool man – nothing was too much trouble for these guys. Being a mum of 3 under three – the chefs would prepare whatever we needed for them and you weren’t paying exuberant prices for this service. Housekeeping even helped look after our little ones dolly’s ensuring they were tucked into bed after servicing our room daily and answered the plethora of questions our kids had for them.

The distance off QT from the centre of town isn’t that bad. If you are staying for a week – I would recommend purchasing a weekly ticket to the town shuttle as it works out more cost effective, but they’re is bike riding paths or you can hire a car or even walk to town (to burn off the food you will be eating at the “buffet with a difference”.

The hotel is recently renovated and the pool is AMAZING!!! The lounges and beds were great and the garden aspect is also great for families with children. Even at full capacity – we never went without a spot around the pool – and never felt cramped. The pool bar was great and the cocktails / mocktails / milkshakes / snacks and ice-cream pool side were delicious.

We had a two bedroom apartment which was essentially two adjoining rooms. One room had a large separate living area whilst the other was a smaller classic hotel room layout. Together they combined to be a large apartment. Washing machine and dryer, fridge and cooktop – what more could you want. Coles even delivered our necessities to our room (another perk of staying at QT – this is not a regular service offered).

One of the most relaxing holidays we have had in a while and I would have no hesitation in recommending or staying at the QT Port Douglas again. Alex and the team are wonderful and we will be seeing them again next September. Can’t wait!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Hi Sophia F,

Wheeeeeee! Sounds like you had a perfectly perfect time at the resort with yourself and your brood. Wowee! Three under three! I bet they keep you running all day.

The chefs are so delightful in Bazaar so I am not surprised that they cooked you bespoke baby brekkies whenever you needed them. They are the best!

I bet you guys were an absolute delight to take care of and we hope you come back soonest.

Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The resort was presented beautifully & had a bit of a quirky design which differentiates from other resorts which compared to QT are quite bland.
The room we stayed in was a resort room, which was clean & comfortable. It had a spacious king sized bed and provided all the usual amenities you come to expect at a resort. The rooms play in with the quirky theme of this resort & I found the fixtures of the room added to experience of staying with QT.
The grounds of the resort were landscaped to fit in with the design, the pool has a central location with a pool bar & there was always somewhere to grab a sunbed.
The staff were magnificent, polite & were always happy to give suggestions on what to do & assist in planning activities/day trips for us.
The resort has a bar (Estilo) and a restaurant (Bazaar). Dinner in Bazaar is a must & is an experience which is just about unrivalled at all resorts I’ve stayed at. With no set menu, you are very interactive with the chefs & they are enthusiastic to create you a great dish. Breakfast is your standard buffet style & sets you up for a big day exploring the surroundings.
Port Douglas has a shuttle service that runs from the town back out to the resorts which costs around $4 each way & runs 2-3 times per hour. The shuttle picks you up and drops you off right at reception. If you think you will be commuting into town regularly the shuttle offers 1-3-5-7 day passes which offer you a little discount on paying for each individual trip.
If you feel like a walk into town you are looking at around 30 minutes dependent on your pace, crossing the road & walking along the beach is something you must do a couple times.
Overall I would recommend this resort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hey SalvaTravel,

Awesome! Another 5 star review from a Senior Contributor. You guys are just being so lovely to us on here! We are tickled pink. It is so nice to know that all of the hard work and attention to detail is worth it.

Thank you for taking the time to share with both us and other travellers your full experience. Thanks for the great notes on staff and Bazaar - these guys are the real stars!

I hope you come back soonest.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed at qt for 5 nights over new year with my boyfriend! Immediately got a great impression as we stepped out of the bus from the airport greeted by staff and bags taken off us. We were there quite early so room wasn't ready yet but was offered breakfast at discounted rate in the bazaar restaurant! Wow! Excellent range of food and staff are fantastic! I am a coeliac so need a gluten free diet which they catered for ! Gf bread was available which is quite rare in hotels, aswell as pizza bases Etc for bar food!
Plenty of sun lounges around pool which is quite rare in resorts...
Shuttle bus runs into town every 15 mins or there Abouts, and is $4 each way, or a 25 min easy walk!!
Definitely suggest going to hartleys croc farm, and doing Tony's tropical tour of the daintree, both amazing!!!
I highly recommend staying at QT, great value for money, modern, and all staff excellent! Can't wait to come back - thankyou QT!!!

• Stayed December 2012
Hi Ashs6791,

Sounds like you are your loved one had a brilliant holiday in Port Douglas. I have not checked out the crocs yet - it freaks me out a bit to be honest. I am going to have to bite the bullet though so I can undertand what everyone is raving about!

Thank you very much for such a lovely review. We are so appreciative of the time taken to review our property and let us know that we are on the right track.

We hope to see you again.

QT

Been to QT Port Douglas? Share your experiences!