My husband and I stayed at 4-Mile B&B for 3 nights at the end of a week's holiday in Queensland. We chose it on the basis of it being away from the intensity of Port Douglas centre, and due to the excellent reviews it had received on Tripadvisor.
We had a mixed experience...
- beautiful garden and pool
- room was spacious (but see below)
- walking distance from beach (good beach to photograph, walk along, not so much for swimming)
- Colin was open, charming and lovely
- walking distance to just one restaurant, but it's a good one (The Beach Shack)
- a good breakfast
- the least comfortable nights' sleep either of us has had in a long time. The bottom sheet was old and far too small for the bed, so needed to get up countless times to attempt to tuck it back in. The pillows were solid, enormous lumps of unyielding sponge that would give any chiropractor nightmares. The first time I've ever heard my husband complain about his pillow! Very unsupportive mattress. Nasty odour of damp (but it's a humid area, so perhaps that's unavoidable?)
- there are ceiling fans, but neither are actually above the bed which is where you need them!. In the end we resorted to aircon, which I never use, but had no choice.
- cleanliness: the fridge in the room was dirty; the teaspoon for tea/coffee making was sticky, crawling in ants and had someone's hair hanging off it. Bits of previous guests' food was on the floor and table, again with ants crawling all over.
And I feel bad saying this, as she is a very well-meaning woman, but Frieda was a very unrelaxing hostess. The moment we arrived, hot, tired and dying to just get into the pool, she insisted on taking us through endless brochures, despite us saying repeatedly that we already knew the area well, and simply wanted to lie by the pool and do nothing. Our first morning she was sweeping outside our bedroom door at 5.50am! She very much likes things just so, and you need to comply! Her intentions are well-placed, but she was extremely intense and made us feel oddly ill at ease.
Overall - a pretty spot, but we wouldn't go back there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Quiet and peaceful bed and breakfast 4 mile away from busy Port Douglas. One of only three real b&b s in Port Douglas. We are a bed and breakfast, not a holiday house. A minute's walk to the beach, two minutes' walk to very nice restaurants, bistro and bus services. Every morning a lovely tropical breakfast is served, outside,in the court yard: this is truly open-air living! There is a large saltwater swimming pool. The b&b is in separate guest wing and gives you privacy. There are only only two rooms, each with their own bathroom, fridge, air conditioning and queen size bed. There are no cooking facilities, though you can make your own tea and coffee. The breezeway, the court yard and garden with lots of plants, bamboo,bougainvillea ,local plants, birds and butterflies are all your territory. We are glad to offer you local knowledge and are happy to help you find the tours and trips that suit you best. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Port Douglas B&B Four Mile Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.