“Sensational” 5 of 5 stars

Cairns Flames of the Forest Dining Experience
Ranked #36 of 87 Activities in Port Douglas
Type: Dinner Theaters, Performances
More attraction details
Owner description: Light the flame of the forest...beneath the canopy of the oldest rainforest in the world...feel the wonder of this legendary place and explore the mysteries of time and culture in the spell binding candlelit drama that is the enchanted forest. Our cultural evening includes return transfers from Cairns and Port Douglas, champagne and canapés on arrival, Aboriginal cultural performance with didgeridoo and story telling, seven course banquet with quality Australian wines and beers.On Saturday nights, we let the rainforest work its magic on you combined with a six course menu of tropical and local exotic tastes with premium Australian wines and beers.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
adelaide
11 attraction reviews
“Sensational”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

What a wonderful evening. I rate it higher than Sounds of Silence at Uluru.
The location,air of expectation as you wander up the flare lit path,to yummy canapés and bubbles. Then the welcome, the stunning marquee. Excellent platters of food served to the table, the opportunity to chat with fellow travellers. Then the story telling. The whole experience is five star, highly recommend.

Visited September 2013
Natalie J, General Manager at Flames of the Forest, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear jarox,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. It is fantastic you have enjoyed our magical experience and we hope to see you again in our special place!

25 attraction reviews
“Not a Luau”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

If you are looking for a luau-style entertainment, you will be disappointed by this experience. It is, as one reviewer says, just two guys--one talks and the other plays the digiridoo. I loved it.

The setting is awesome. You are driven to the site and let out on a darkish path that leads into the forest. The path is lit by candles. A service person appears out of the dark with glasses of champagne. Then, you are lead to a clearing where there are many styles of fire--a candle tree, torches, candles on tables. It has an almost mystical look. A number of appetizers were served here including alligator but also included chicken with macadamia nut sauce.

The tables were set for 8. We ended up with 9 at our tables because I was alone at this event. Speaking of which, this is an ideal travel experience for the lone traveler. You have ready made travel companions and mine were lovely. The conversation was general and very interesting.

The first "starter" course was kangaroo, prawns and salad. You could have all or only one since it is served family style. I actually thought this was it--but no, there was then a fish course followed by a meat course with choices of chicken and/or beef. Vegetables accompanied each course. Way more food choices than I could actually eat. I especially liked the fish and prawns. Dessert was a pavlova. Three different wines were offered. If anyone did not have their fill of those, they said nothing and I can not imagine that the quantity was not more than sufficient. I think most people enjoyed the dinner, the wine and the companionship.

The entertainment might not be to everyone's taste. I thought it very respectful of the aboriginal traditions. It featured a single instrumental player and a story teller. I think that I have read this story which is traditional. I thought it added just the right touch to the setting and the dinner. I would recommend it to my friends and would love to go back even if the story told was the same one I heard on this occasion.

Dear Texastraweler,

We get many a solo traveller to our experience, so we are delighted you have enjoyed your evening with new table friends!

Thank you for providing such a lovely, comprehensive review - I have passed on your comments to our staff who love hearing such wonderful stories from our guests.

We hope to see you back with us one day!
Cairns
5 attraction reviews
“Delightful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Every time I think of our evening at Flames of the Forest I smile. This is particularly impressive as I was recovering from ciguatera poisoning at the time.
The setting is stunning and the staff wonderfully friendly. Our dietary needs were catered for with no fuss and our meals were fantastic.

Visited October 2012
Natalie J, General Manager at Flames of the Forest, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear AD29,

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed such a lovely evening after recovering from an illness - the magic of the rainforest has had a wonderful effect! We will certainly pass on your thanks to our Chef for catering to your dietary requirements - it was a pleasure!
Dublin
5 attraction reviews
“Lovely but over priced!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

While a lovely night I'm disappointed to say Flames of the Forest did not live up to our expectations or previous reviews. Waiting to be picked up we were very excited about this trip, however still on the bus 1 hour and 40 min later our enthusiasm had waned considerably. Picking up 23 people along every beach from Cairns to Port Douglas was not my idea of a good night out! The 1 hour and 40 min ride back was equally exhausting! Perhaps two smaller transfer buses may have helped! The rainforest and lighting were fabulous and the staff very quick to offer a drink - staff provided excellent service! The performance was amazing - I won't provide detail so others can enjoy the surprise! However the food was a little disappointing - delicious but not to the level of Nautlius just down the road! Also, some guests on our table missed out on some of the food and when asked were informed there was none left! Not acceptable when paying that much! It would be helpful to either remind people to take one portion each, or have more on hand!! I didn't feel like I was at a banquet - more like those weddings where you only get one little portion per person and then rushed to the next dish. Overall, I'm sorry to say it felt rushed, not that magical and over priced. However I'm sure for overseas guests the rainforest experience would have more impact!

Visited August 2013
Natalie J, General Manager at Flames of the Forest, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear RandomSpirit,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a comprehensive review of your Flames experience. We too feel our service staff are amazing - many of them have been with us for ten years! It is also wonderful that you found the Indigenous component of the evening so interesting - and thanks for not giving too much away!

Your experience with the Cairns transfer was disappointing - it is not often we have pick ups from such a variety of Northern Beaches resorts and this is something we will certainly be reviewing.
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“definately must not be missed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

from the moment my granddaughter aged16,and I arrived at the flames of the forest it became the most magical and amazing evening. .The candle light was beautiful making the setting very special. The food was superb and the wine excellent, with a good choice of soft drinks. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The Aboriginal music was lovely and the story telling fascinating and interesting. The coach arranged to pick us up and return us to our hotel was an added bonus. This evening was a lifetime experience and was quite unique and amazing, just so enjoyable.The Flames of the Forest must not be missed, it was wonderful.

Visited August 2013
Natalie J, General Manager at Flames of the Forest, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear sallymmj j,

The Aboriginal Cultural Experience is really wonderful for children to see. Being told the stories of the Kuku Yalanji as a child is magical and something which stays with them forever. It was lovely to see you got to enjoy this experience with your grand daughter and we thank you for sharing your positive experience with us!