“Loved Port Douglas” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oaks Lagoons

You added Oaks Lagoons to your Saves list
Oaks Lagoons
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Langley Road, Port Douglas, Queensland 4877, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Book Direct & Save 10%
Ranked #27 of 45 Hotels in Port Douglas
Los Gatos, California
“Loved Port Douglas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I was in town a couple weeks ago for the solar eclipse. I decided to stay in Port Douglas rather than Cairns, and I'm glad I did. The room, while basic, was clean and the bed was comfortable. As others have mentioned the bathroom was a little small, but fine for me. The mini-fridge and sink were nice to have, as I stopped at the store in town and brought back some food and drinks.

I didn't mind being a bit out of town (it's more expensive in town, of course), but the shuttle buses that run from the hotel just next door run frequently and the ride is only about 6 or 7 minutes, so getting in and out of town is no big deal at all.

Where I found they really excelled was the front-desk staff, who were always quite friendly and helpful. They do close down and lock up the lobby around 7 p.m. or so. I was a little confused about how to get back to my room after going to town at night, but figured it out (go around the side) quickly enough.

Also, when you're in Port Douglas, the birds there are amazing. They lorakeets are beautiful, if a bit loud. So keep an eye out for them.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
LagoonsHM, Manager at Oaks Lagoons, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for staying at the Oaks Lagoons. Wasn’t the eclipse just amazing! I am pleased your room met your needs. Having both standard hotel rooms and full apartment style rooms gives us a variety of room types to offer guests looking to stay with us. We can even combine the two and make a two bedroom apartment. Thank you for your kind words about our staff. We love the opportunity to spend time with our guests and share our knowledge about the region and assist in arranging tours if we can. We recommend waiting until you arrive to book your tours so you can arrange your days around the prevailing weather conditions. i.e. On rainy days visit the rainforest, on sunny days it is great for reef trips.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

From the friendly staff to the swim out rooms, this venue is a must for a relaxing holiday away from the crowds closer to town. Distance is not a problem with a shuttle bus passing regularly. The rooms are spacious, beds are very comfy, and the facilities are great. If you want to socialize, the BBQ area is an ideal place to meet people and have a chat, and the pools are great for an early morning dip and a swim during the day.there were a lot of children there during our stay, but even though they were happily playing in the pools, they did not disturb us at all as the plantings around the pools block out a lot of noise. We will definitely be back soon!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
LagoonsHM, Manager at Oaks Lagoons, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Sound like you had a great chance to recharge your batteries, finding quiet time is so often hard to do. The public shuttle does provide a great service for guests and combined with the available airport shuttles, you really don’t even need a car, or can hire locally for a couple of days for a little exploring to the Atherton Tablelands or up to the Daintree Rainforest. The Helliconias make great privacy screens around our pools and having six of them means there is always a secluded area somewhere to drift on some pool noodles. Many thanks for staying with us., we look forward to welcoming you back when you can next make a detour to the tropical north.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed here 22-26 Nov and we enjoyed every minute of it! The staff are very helpful and always had a smile on their face. It is a bit out of town which makes things a bit harder and expensive if you don't hire a car but the shuttle from the Ramada is convenient. Upon checking in we were informed we had been upgraded to a one bed apartment swim out. This was just the icing on the cake we could have not been more pleased. Its so relaxing having the pool just outside your back door. The room we received was spotless cept some marks on the shutters in the main bedroom and the cushions off the couch were a bit dirty however nothing we had a fright over. The kitchen is nice and functional and the massive flat screen tv was great. One gripe I had though was when we ran out of dishwashing detergent, washing powder and dishwasher powder we had pay to replenish the meager stock they gave us when we checked in. I know this is a self contained apartment but I'm staying at the best western plus cairns central apartments and they have supplied us with a whole bottle of dishwashing liquid. So I think it would much better for the guests for oaks lagoons to offer those powders and liquids free of charge. When on holiday the last thing you want to pay is for basic living goods. The BBQ is popular with the guests and would recommend to use them.

• Stayed November 2012
LagoonsHM, Manager at Oaks Lagoons, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Many thanks for staying with us at the Oaks Lagoons. I am pleased you enjoyed your swim out room, they are a great room where you can relax right their on your own pool deck. The local shuttle is certainly very convenient and as it runs from 7am to 11pm, and is a safe way home especially if you have been out enjoying a meal with a few wines. I acknowledge your comments about the consumable items. In essence Oaks has chosen a user pays system, so those wanting extra, pay extra. None of us like to have to pay for things we don’t use. The BBQ’s are very popular, an area where we have often seen guests make new holiday friends. We hope you will be able to make your way north and stay with us again soon.
Wanaka, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Got to give a shout out to Murray, the Receptionist at the Oaks Lagoons during our stay there. He was so friendly right from the get-go, and with a wicked sense of humour.

When we arrived, he asked if we had planned tomorrow's activities, and when we said no, he gave us a suggested itinerary for the day which was fantastic! I'll post it here so that all who stay at Oaks can take advantage of it!

First, he said, you are getting up VERY early and going down to the beach (5mins walk) to watch the sunrise at 5.30am. After this, you stroll along the beach 45mins into town, which works up an appetite for breakfast at a great little cafe. After that, because it was Sunday, we would walk down to the Esplanade to the sunday craft market and look around before catching the 11am steam train right back to the hotel, then a leisurely lunch and afternoon by the pool.

Well followed this plan exactly, and had a fabulous day!

So, other good things about the Oaks Lagoons - well, again, Murray was so helpful - I was fussy and asked to change my room becuase I wanted one with a swim-out patio. I was originally assigned a room with a private spa bath on the balcony, which seemed great at first but the problem is that, for privacy, the spa baths are surrounded by a high steel wall, which blocks the light from the room and takes up all the space so you don't get a big patio/sunlounger area. I felt a little claustrophobic in that first room with its high walls, so I asked to be moved and good ol' Murray sorted it out for me - what a legend!

If you can, book one of the swim-out studios (if you are not bothered about having a spa bath, ask for one without) - direct access to the pool from your room - heaven! Also, since the rest of my party were in nearby rooms, I could swim over to their place for a glass of wine, then swim home! :)

The central BBQ area is one of the best I've ever seen, spacious, clean and shaded.

The pools are excellent, shallow at either end and deep in the middle, and so refreshing in the November heat! Each ground floor room has its own steps into the pool too. Did I mention there are LOTS of pools?

The room was clean and confortable, with a little kitchenette perfect for having tea and making sandwiches etc but it is not for self-catering as no stove. For that, use the BBQ :)

Parking is excellent at this place - if fact you can park right outside your room!

The hotel does not have a restuarant of its own, but gives you a voucher for a meal for $15 at the Ramada hotel next door, and with that you even get a free bottle of wine per 2 people!! The meal you get is the special of the day, but there was a choice of two and both were excellent.

The only negative point of Oaks is that the internet here is bloody expensive. There is Wi-fi, but we didn't want to pay $20 a day for it! However, if you are going to go next-door to the Ramada to eat, use the free internet there! There is free wifi in the bar area, and they also do great frozen cocktails to enjoy while you surf the net.

I would also love to see Oaks adopt a no-smoking policy, because smoking is allowed pool-side, and that means you may end up next to someone smoking on their patio.

Overall, this was my favourite acommodation in my 18-day trip to Queensland. Port Douglas is a delightful little place, even if I did spend a great deal of it in the hotel enjoying the pool!

Once again, thanks to Murray for being an outstanding member of staff and really contributing to an amazing stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
LagoonsHM, Manager at Oaks Lagoons, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Many thanks for your kind words and taking the time to share your experiences in Port Douglas. The walk along 4 Mile Beach is such a wonderful way to get into a holiday mode, I am pleased you enjoyed it. Our staff love giving our guests ideas on what to do in Port Douglas and we like to work out what is the best tour for our guests taking everything into consideration including the prevailing weather conditions.

Our WIFI is provided by an external provider who owns the system so unfortunately at this stage we are unable to change those arrangements. Out smoking policy is under constant review as attitudes to smoking continue to evolve with less and less smokers staying. We do expect smokers to not affect the other guest's peaceful enjoyment of the resort and to take appropriate steps to relocate as necessary. Our swim-out rooms are really special! There are not many resorts that have this room type, and at the moment we have some really great deals for these on the Oaks Hotels & Resorts website. Thank you for staying with us, I hope we will have the opportunity to have you stay with us again on your next North Queensland escape.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for work and found it to have everything I needed. The hotel rooms were comfortable and included all your standard fittings. The bonus was the spa on the balcony, lovely touch to a busy day. About 4km walk into town, plenty of parking. Pool was lovely. Only downfall was no free wifi.

• Stayed October 2012
LagoonsHM, Manager at Oaks Lagoons, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for staying with us at the Oaks Lagoons. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. The gardens are looking particularly good at the moment with many of our tropical plants in full flower. Yes, our property does have lots of undercover unallocated car parking and we can even cater for guests with boats, trailers and caravans. We do have to charge our guests for internet as our internet access infrastructure not owned by Oaks and is provided by and fees set by an external company. We hope you will have the opportunity to stay with us again soon.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We booked a swim out room at Oaks Lagoon for a little R&R to get over the long wet winter in Auckland. The timing was perfect 30 degrees C every day with humidity 60%, out of school holiday timings, in between seasons and prior to the humid and hot summer months.
Lagoon has 5 great swimming pools which means you have the opportunity for your own space. The concept of the swim out room was great with your own swim ladder and loungers. The room was a little musty smelling when we arrived so bought some "nilodor" drops from Coles and after a couple of days cleared the smell. Room was clean and tidy and staff really friendly and helpful. This place reputedly has the best Barbeques for your use in Port Douglas not that we were thiee to cook Barbeques. After reading a few reviews I was interested to see how long it would take to walk in to town and yes it is a good walk35- 45 mins along the beach however the buses runs from Ramada next doors every 15 minutes $9 return or 3 or 7 days passes. Found a great restaurant "Beach Shack" 8 minute walk away amd a fantastic Deli OTZ 5 minutes away, who do the best baked daily Ham and Cheese Croissants. OTZ also run the reastaurant at Niramaya Villas and Spas across the road with Wednesday being a BYO night. Niramaya is a $450 per night Spa so worth the visit just for the surroundings. The food is fantatstic and the setting out of this world. So while a little way out of town we found the swim out room, sunshine, pool and peace and quite just what we needed. I have rated this as very good as we got the room on an Entertainment book $80 per night special so I cannot complain.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
LagoonsHM, Manager at Oaks Lagoons, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. Defrosting after the long winter chill is a popular escape for many of our southern visitors. October and November are magic times to visit the north and as you mentioned before the wet season which really doesn’t kick in till late January. We have great deals available now since the traditional high season is behind us. Mustiness is something we get in the tropics a lot so I am pleased you found Nilidor effective for you in helping to refresh your room. Once windows are opened or the air conditioners turned on, it generally doesn’t take long for the rooms freshen up. Great to see you checkout out some of our great local dining options, those ham & cheese croissants are addictive! The Tree Bar and Grill next door also offers a great tropical buffet breakfast option too. I hope you will be able to get away again next year to again escape the winter chills.
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed in a 2 bedroom lagoon room which was very private and quiet. The apartment was clean and well equipped, but smelled a bit musty when we arrived. This was solved by leaving the ceiling fans on 24/7. The only down side was that we had to ask for a spare toilet roll as there were no spares in the apartment. A suggestion also would be to provide spare bin liners, and a bottle of dishwashing liquid, as that would be a nice touch rather than having to supply our own for short stays. Locally provided shuttle bus into the main street is convenient, but is quite expensive at $5 each way. It certainly adds up very quickly, and it's too far to walk it comfortably.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
OaksCustomerFeedback, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Lagoons, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
November is a great time to visit Port Douglas with generally fantastic weather and well before the wet season sets in. It is part of our traditional low season so some good deals can usually be secured at this time of the year. Rooms can be a little musty here in the tropics if they haven’t been used for a few days but as you discovered once the fans and air-conditioning is on, it freshens up pretty quickly. Whilst we do only provide a setup stock for the rooms additional supplies are available from reception. Thank you for staying with us, I hope you will be able to visit Port Douglas again soon.