“Limited privacy in the spa suites but overall a gr8 place to chill” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Peppers Beach Club Port Douglas

Save Saved
You added Peppers Beach Club Port Douglas to your Saves list
Peppers Beach Club Port Douglas
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   20-22 Davidson Street, Port Douglas, Queensland 4877, Australia (Formerly Outrigger Beach Club)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Stay Longer and Save
Ranked #16 of 46 hotels in Port Douglas
Cairns, Australia
“Limited privacy in the spa suites but overall a gr8 place to chill”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Our weekend getaway was great and this was the second time we'd stayed in a spa suite here on a gr8 special.

The resport staff were friendly and very helpful. However....why they would put a spa on the balcony in a private room and then not be able to screen it off to make it private???? Wearing swimmers really isnt the best way to enjoy a relaxing spa bath, especially in a private suite! The balcony & spa was in full view of the resort next door and the penthouse balcony above....not so relaxing as it felt a bit too exposed. Perhaps this would not have detracted so much if we were not anticipating full privacy as is the norm????

The room was very clean and the bathroom large and bright. However the lighting in the main room was poor with only bedside lamps providing lighting as there was no roof lights centr5al in teh room. This left us with really Insufficient lighting if you needed to use the single powerpoint for charging phones etc. We were also unable to screen the room for privacy during the day without closing the sliding timber doors. This left the room without any natural light and very dark so we had to have the sliding timber doors open and respign to letting the neighbouring resport look in!

The restaurant was lovely for both breaky and dinner and it was right on the pool. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. I thoroughly recommed the pork belly entree followed by the lamb shanks main... yum!!! Breaky was a good spread though they ran out of some of the main items on both mornings.

The pool is a visual delight however the pool loungers were quite insufficient to keep up with demand. It was unfortunate that several guests left belongings on them during the day even when they weren't using them, just so they could access one any time they wanted - perhaps the resort could consider ways to address this so everyone can get equal access??? The fine white sandy beach at the side of the pool was really lovely and made a nice change from the norm.

The resort is so close to the beach and walking distance to town so gr8 for a night out, shopping trip or hunt around the gr8 Port markets. We would definately book again..... but perhaps not in a spa suite?

Room Tip: The spa suites with balcony spas aren't private. Some rooms are really quiet and away from the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew B, Front Office Manager at Peppers Beach Club Port Douglas, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Diannasaur

Thank you for making the time to review your recent stay with us at Peppers beach Club Port Douglas

I am glad to hear that our team were friendly and helpful during your stay, I will be sure to pass on your comments. You are correct in saying that our Balcony Spas are not 100% private, they are designed so you can enjoy the views from your Spa over the sandy lagoon pool, however I do appreciate the fact some guests want total privacy which these do not offer. You can close off the shutters from the room next door if you wish.

The Lamb shanks in our restaurant are a huge favourite with many of our guests. Our new Chef is doing a great job including having BBQ nights, along with nightly specials. I apologise for some breakfast items running out, sometimes being in the tropics means we need to be flexible with our buffet items daily.

In regards to our pool lounges, as you will know from the layout, without moving them all closer together we cannot add any more, meaning demand can outweigh supply. Our concierge team are doing regular checks to ensure other guests are not leaving pool towels on lounges to “reserve” these as guests take time away from the pool, however I am happy to hear you enjoyed the lagoon pool area in general.

We would love the opportunity to host you again, please do try one of our 1 bedroom units. I can highly recommend the lagoon swim ups. With these you get your own lounges, guaranteeing access all day.

Regards

534 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Albury, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed at Peppers Port Douglas in October 2012, for our wedding anniversary. We only decided to holiday in Port Douglas just a week before we travelled (and it was within school holidays - a peak travel time), so I phoned ahead to book as I wanted to make sure everything was perfect for our first romantic break without our young children. So glad I did – Alyson was amazing and suggested we stay in a 1br suite for a little extra privacy; she offered us the best deal on a suite with private pool. We arrived to find a thoughtful anniversary card and a bottle of sparkling wine; just a few minutes later laying on the sunlounges beside our pool and we were a world away from our busy lives and truly relaxed. The suite was very spacious and well-appointed, private and so quiet away from the busy pool area, just superb for a relaxing mini-break. Breakfast in Sublime restaurant overlooking the pool was a lovely way to start each day. The resort was first class, all the staff were friendly and the location was great. Our holiday was exactly what we were looking for – we didn’t want to leave! Next time our children will be coming with us …. they would absolutely love the pool with its sandy beach area. Alyson we can’t thank you enough for making our anniversary break something special.

Room Tip: I highly recommend staying in a suite with your own pool; opt for the ECO rate and skip the room ser...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew B, Front Office Manager at Peppers Beach Club Port Douglas, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Thank you very much for spending a few minutes to review your recent stay at Peppers Beach Club, Port Douglas.

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary, we are honoured you chose us to spend it with! You made a great choice on a 1 Bedroom suite, based on the amazing Alyson’s (we agree) suggestions. I am glad to hear that our team went the extra mile to acknowledge your special occasion with a card and wine in your room on arrival.

Relaxation is a definite convenience to be enjoyed with these suites that have their own plunge pool, ensuring privacy, yet you still have the use of the fantastic lagoon pool with other guests, sounds like you had the chance to enjoy both. Great to hear that you got to leave your busy lives behind for a few nights with us.
Your perception of our resort is exactly what we are striving to hear, and are hearing more and more all of the time, in relation to friendly staff, great food, and not wanting to leave is great feedback!
I will be sure to pass on your kind words to Alyson as she does do a fantastic job ensuring that our guest’s needs are met with the correct room type. I am sure you will speak with her again on the different options when you bring your children back to stay with us. We have 2 and 3 Bedroom dual key units, and suites which are a great option to comfortably accommodate the whole family.

Thank you again, we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed four nights at Peppers recently. I am an older solo traveller and enjoyed my stay. Very importantly to me was the fact that the hotel was very near the the centre of the town, only a five minute walk away, and a beautiful beach was only five minutes away in the other direction. The pool was quiet and tranquil all day, being term time. I had a spa room overlooking the pool, but found it very difficult to get in and out of the spa without being seen by everyone in the pool. When I was in the spa I was alarmed to find that I could see the man in the next room, standing in his balcony through some open shutters. Worryingly risqué stuff for an older lady! The staff in reception went out of their way to be nice to me, but the staff in the dining room were just ok, I found it very hard to catch their eye if I needed them, and felt a little neglected. The man who organised the tours was very nice and efficient. I would stay again despite the fact that there didn't seem to be a lift to my first floor room, so not for people with difficulty walking.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Esther M
Thank you for taking the time to review Peppers Beach Club on your recent stay with us.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, being a solo traveller we hope you felt part of the Peppers family while you were with us. We are very fortunate to have the amazing 4 Mile beach a mere 200m away from our back door, and as you mention the shops and restaurants a leisurely 5 minute walk from our front door. In relation to the lack of privacy in your balcony spa bath, your shutters are able to be opened and closed to close off the balconies next door, however they do not enclose the balcony 100% from the front, enabling the great views of the white sand lagoon pool.
Again I am very happy to hear that our Front Office and Concierge team were going out of their way to ensure a great stay for you. I am disappointed to hear that your perception of the dining room staff was not the same, I will be sure to bring this to the attention of our restaurant supervisor as we strive for perfection in all areas of our property, particularly on the front line.
The layout of Peppers Beach Club unfortunately does not allow elevators to all areas of the property. If Peppers Beach Club becomes your choice again for Port Douglas, please feel free to advise our friendly reservations team if you require a room that has easier access for you. We would be happy to accommodate as best we can, with perhaps an elevator accessible room or a reception level room.
Thank you again Esther, and safe travels, we look forward to hosting you again.

Broadbeach, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Recently stayed at the Beach Club for five nights. We had a great time and I would definitely go back and stay again. It is in such a great location being so close to the main street of Port Douglas and the beach. We had a hire car but everything is within walking distance of the beach club.

The rooms were tastefully appointed and the gardens and pool area were beautiful. The restaurant looks out over the pool area and the dinner we had was excellent! The rooms are equipped with kitchens and BBQ's so we cooked in one night too!

Port Douglas is a great place to visit and I think Peppers Beach Club is a great place to stay!

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us here at Peppers Beach Club.

Your thoughts are very similar to many of our satisfied guests at Peppers in relation to our location being perfect, as we are within easy walking distance of all necessities within Port Douglas, and any further afield destinations can be reached through day trips which our Concierge is more than happy to arrange for you.
I will be sure to pass on your great feedback to our Chef and restaurant staff in relation to your meals. Our new Chef is doing an amazing job ensuring the Peppers reputation for great food!

Thank you again for taking the time to review Peppers Beach Club. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future
Sunshine Coast. Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We arrived on a beautiful spring day to the fabulous Peppers Beach Club Port Douglas and we were treated like royalty! So as we are mere mortals this must mean that Peppers treats ALL its guests this way. From the greeting to the one bedroom apartment, to the beautiful gardens, pool, restaurant, poolside bar, even a celebrity guest, we were not disappointed in any way.
Peppers is less than a five minute walk to the main shopping area, two minutes to the beach. What more could anyone ask for? We will definitely be coming back and we will be staying with Peppers resorts wherever we travel. Thanks Peppers Port Douglas, Adam the GM and all the fab staff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time to review Peppers Beach Club based on your recent stay with us.
I am very pleased to hear that you received the true Peppers welcome on your arrival and throughout your stay with us. It is our endeavour and commitment to all of our guests, royalty or not that they receive such service from your check in through to your check out. Our location is definitely a major factor in our popularity as an accommodation option in Port Douglas, as many other guests and reviewers alert to.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Thank you again
Maroochydore, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed in a one bedroom deluxe suite at Peppers Port Douglas for four nights in early September. The suite was clean, spacious enough for two people and a good size balcony.Situated in a fantastic location, five min walk to Main street and even less to Four Mile beach.We found the service adequate, what food and drink we had was good, not cheap though, and the lagoon pool is fantastic.Our only gripe would be its very child orientated, so theres a lot of children squealing, crying, etc. It was school holidays, so probably our own fault on that one.
Would I stay there again ? Yes, but not in school holidays. If I had a young family again, no problems, the lagoon pool would occupy them all day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew B, Front Office Manager at Peppers Beach Club Port Douglas, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review in relation to your recent stay with us at Peppers Beach Club, Port Douglas.
We welcome your positive feedback on our spacious one bedroom deluxe units. I am happy to hear your expectations of your unit and our location being very easy walking distance to the main street, and Four Mile beach have been met.
Having a fantastic sandy white beach pool at Peppers Beach Club, does attract and is very popular with families throughout school holidays. I agree with you entirely, if you are seeking some much needed rest and relaxation, and if time permits please try Peppers Beach Club outside of school holidays as I am confident you will enjoy an all round great experience. Given the chance we would happily welcome you back, Thank you again for your review.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed in a One bedroom lagoon deluxe suite with a swim up pontoon for five nights in September. The suite was great, spacious, well appointed and equipped for self catering, laundry etcetera. The only the really missing is a bath which would have fit in the large bathroom but has been left out.
The swim up pontoon and pool was lovely although I can see why some reviewers would have reservations. During our stay the pool was full of babies and toddlers and I would highly recommend it's setup for families with young children but if you are looking for a romantic break perhaps the noise would make this a poor choice, especially during school holidays.
I have scored this hotel much lower than the facilities should warrant due to the following reasons - during our five night stay I had no interaction with staff other than checking in, checking out and ordering a drink and even then there were no offers to help with baggage, no smiles, no enquiries as to whether we were/had enjoyed our stay, needed any help... Just no service other than to take our money. For the price we paid I found this appalling.
- housekeeping was pretty basic with sand on our floor the entire stay.
- the restaurant was almost deserted even during " happy hour" ( $1 off cocktails?) and it's not hard to see why. The drinks were expensive and cocktails of the day remained the same during our stay. Breakfast offerings were very meager. The staff we encountered were less than friendly and less than helpful.

Would I recommend Peppers? Yes but with provisos. If you have or don't mind children, which we don't and if you really don't care about friendly service.

Room Tip: The swim up "rooms" are really large and comfortable with everything you need except a bat...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience with us at Peppers Beach Club Port Douglas. Your choice of a One Bedroom lagoon deluxe room was a great decision, your review on this room type are similar to other guests that have also stayed in them being great and spacious. We agree a bath would be a great addition, however not an easy option to add at this stage, we do offer spa bath units if a bath is important to any future stays, please mention any requirements with our reservations team.
Port Douglas and Peppers Beach club are fortunate that we are hugely popular with families throughout school holidays. While the facilities and style of the property are great for couples and families alike we understand that some guests are looking for a quiet and relaxing stay. If you are looking to avoid play full children or wanting to ensure a more peaceful stay, we do recommend coming outside of the school holidays if timing permits.
I am disappointed to hear of your lack of interaction with our staff other than the standard check in and check out formalities etc. We do offer a full Porter and Concierge team to assist with luggage, tour and restaurant reservations, along with all around general assistance, and 24 hour reception. The issues that you have raised here in relation to staff interaction, housekeeping, and restaurant staff will be raised with the relevant heads of department, and an action plan will be re-assessed to better these situations. Service standard expectations at Peppers are extremely high, with ongoing training and assistance in place to meet and exceed these expectations. Please accept my apologies regarding the service offered being below acceptable. I hope that we have the opportunity in the future to host you again, and show you the real Peppers experience. Please feel free to contact me directly if you do wish to stay with us again

Andrew Berryman

Been to Peppers Beach Club Port Douglas? Share your experiences!