“Thank you Peppers” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Peppers Beach Club Port Douglas

Save Saved
You added Peppers Beach Club Port Douglas to your Saves list
Peppers Beach Club Port Douglas
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   20-22 Davidson Street, Port Douglas, Queensland 4877, Australia (Formerly Outrigger Beach Club)   |
Ranked #17 of 46 hotels in Port Douglas
Dublin, Ireland
“Thank you Peppers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed four nights at Peppers recently. I am an older solo traveller and enjoyed my stay. Very importantly to me was the fact that the hotel was very near the the centre of the town, only a five minute walk away, and a beautiful beach was only five minutes away in the other direction. The pool was quiet and tranquil all day, being term time. I had a spa room overlooking the pool, but found it very difficult to get in and out of the spa without being seen by everyone in the pool. When I was in the spa I was alarmed to find that I could see the man in the next room, standing in his balcony through some open shutters. Worryingly risqué stuff for an older lady! The staff in reception went out of their way to be nice to me, but the staff in the dining room were just ok, I found it very hard to catch their eye if I needed them, and felt a little neglected. The man who organised the tours was very nice and efficient. I would stay again despite the fact that there didn't seem to be a lift to my first floor room, so not for people with difficulty walking.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Andrew B, Front Office Manager at Peppers Beach Club Port Douglas, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear Esther M
Thank you for taking the time to review Peppers Beach Club on your recent stay with us.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, being a solo traveller we hope you felt part of the Peppers family while you were with us. We are very fortunate to have the amazing 4 Mile beach a mere 200m away from our back door, and as you mention the shops and restaurants a leisurely 5 minute walk from our front door. In relation to the lack of privacy in your balcony spa bath, your shutters are able to be opened and closed to close off the balconies next door, however they do not enclose the balcony 100% from the front, enabling the great views of the white sand lagoon pool.
Again I am very happy to hear that our Front Office and Concierge team were going out of their way to ensure a great stay for you. I am disappointed to hear that your perception of the dining room staff was not the same, I will be sure to bring this to the attention of our restaurant supervisor as we strive for perfection in all areas of our property, particularly on the front line.
The layout of Peppers Beach Club unfortunately does not allow elevators to all areas of the property. If Peppers Beach Club becomes your choice again for Port Douglas, please feel free to advise our friendly reservations team if you require a room that has easier access for you. We would be happy to accommodate as best we can, with perhaps an elevator accessible room or a reception level room.
Thank you again Esther, and safe travels, we look forward to hosting you again.

562 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Broadbeach, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Recently stayed at the Beach Club for five nights. We had a great time and I would definitely go back and stay again. It is in such a great location being so close to the main street of Port Douglas and the beach. We had a hire car but everything is within walking distance of the beach club.

The rooms were tastefully appointed and the gardens and pool area were beautiful. The restaurant looks out over the pool area and the dinner we had was excellent! The rooms are equipped with kitchens and BBQ's so we cooked in one night too!

Port Douglas is a great place to visit and I think Peppers Beach Club is a great place to stay!

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us here at Peppers Beach Club.

Your thoughts are very similar to many of our satisfied guests at Peppers in relation to our location being perfect, as we are within easy walking distance of all necessities within Port Douglas, and any further afield destinations can be reached through day trips which our Concierge is more than happy to arrange for you.
I will be sure to pass on your great feedback to our Chef and restaurant staff in relation to your meals. Our new Chef is doing an amazing job ensuring the Peppers reputation for great food!

Thank you again for taking the time to review Peppers Beach Club. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future
Sunshine Coast. Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We arrived on a beautiful spring day to the fabulous Peppers Beach Club Port Douglas and we were treated like royalty! So as we are mere mortals this must mean that Peppers treats ALL its guests this way. From the greeting to the one bedroom apartment, to the beautiful gardens, pool, restaurant, poolside bar, even a celebrity guest, we were not disappointed in any way.
Peppers is less than a five minute walk to the main shopping area, two minutes to the beach. What more could anyone ask for? We will definitely be coming back and we will be staying with Peppers resorts wherever we travel. Thanks Peppers Port Douglas, Adam the GM and all the fab staff.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for taking the time to review Peppers Beach Club based on your recent stay with us.
I am very pleased to hear that you received the true Peppers welcome on your arrival and throughout your stay with us. It is our endeavour and commitment to all of our guests, royalty or not that they receive such service from your check in through to your check out. Our location is definitely a major factor in our popularity as an accommodation option in Port Douglas, as many other guests and reviewers alert to.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Thank you again
Maroochydore, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed in a one bedroom deluxe suite at Peppers Port Douglas for four nights in early September. The suite was clean, spacious enough for two people and a good size balcony.Situated in a fantastic location, five min walk to Main street and even less to Four Mile beach.We found the service adequate, what food and drink we had was good, not cheap though, and the lagoon pool is fantastic.Our only gripe would be its very child orientated, so theres a lot of children squealing, crying, etc. It was school holidays, so probably our own fault on that one.
Would I stay there again ? Yes, but not in school holidays. If I had a young family again, no problems, the lagoon pool would occupy them all day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew B, Front Office Manager at Peppers Beach Club Port Douglas, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review in relation to your recent stay with us at Peppers Beach Club, Port Douglas.
We welcome your positive feedback on our spacious one bedroom deluxe units. I am happy to hear your expectations of your unit and our location being very easy walking distance to the main street, and Four Mile beach have been met.
Having a fantastic sandy white beach pool at Peppers Beach Club, does attract and is very popular with families throughout school holidays. I agree with you entirely, if you are seeking some much needed rest and relaxation, and if time permits please try Peppers Beach Club outside of school holidays as I am confident you will enjoy an all round great experience. Given the chance we would happily welcome you back, Thank you again for your review.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed in a One bedroom lagoon deluxe suite with a swim up pontoon for five nights in September. The suite was great, spacious, well appointed and equipped for self catering, laundry etcetera. The only the really missing is a bath which would have fit in the large bathroom but has been left out.
The swim up pontoon and pool was lovely although I can see why some reviewers would have reservations. During our stay the pool was full of babies and toddlers and I would highly recommend it's setup for families with young children but if you are looking for a romantic break perhaps the noise would make this a poor choice, especially during school holidays.
I have scored this hotel much lower than the facilities should warrant due to the following reasons - during our five night stay I had no interaction with staff other than checking in, checking out and ordering a drink and even then there were no offers to help with baggage, no smiles, no enquiries as to whether we were/had enjoyed our stay, needed any help... Just no service other than to take our money. For the price we paid I found this appalling.
- housekeeping was pretty basic with sand on our floor the entire stay.
- the restaurant was almost deserted even during " happy hour" ( $1 off cocktails?) and it's not hard to see why. The drinks were expensive and cocktails of the day remained the same during our stay. Breakfast offerings were very meager. The staff we encountered were less than friendly and less than helpful.

Would I recommend Peppers? Yes but with provisos. If you have or don't mind children, which we don't and if you really don't care about friendly service.

Room Tip: The swim up "rooms" are really large and comfortable with everything you need except a bat...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience with us at Peppers Beach Club Port Douglas. Your choice of a One Bedroom lagoon deluxe room was a great decision, your review on this room type are similar to other guests that have also stayed in them being great and spacious. We agree a bath would be a great addition, however not an easy option to add at this stage, we do offer spa bath units if a bath is important to any future stays, please mention any requirements with our reservations team.
Port Douglas and Peppers Beach club are fortunate that we are hugely popular with families throughout school holidays. While the facilities and style of the property are great for couples and families alike we understand that some guests are looking for a quiet and relaxing stay. If you are looking to avoid play full children or wanting to ensure a more peaceful stay, we do recommend coming outside of the school holidays if timing permits.
I am disappointed to hear of your lack of interaction with our staff other than the standard check in and check out formalities etc. We do offer a full Porter and Concierge team to assist with luggage, tour and restaurant reservations, along with all around general assistance, and 24 hour reception. The issues that you have raised here in relation to staff interaction, housekeeping, and restaurant staff will be raised with the relevant heads of department, and an action plan will be re-assessed to better these situations. Service standard expectations at Peppers are extremely high, with ongoing training and assistance in place to meet and exceed these expectations. Please accept my apologies regarding the service offered being below acceptable. I hope that we have the opportunity in the future to host you again, and show you the real Peppers experience. Please feel free to contact me directly if you do wish to stay with us again

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Arrived in Port douglas with nowhere in mind, we found a last minute deal for Peppers. It was incredible value for what we payed. Rooms are well designed, with king beds and a nice layout. French press in the mini bar, enough said. We had a balcony overlooking the pool, with a two person spa on the deck. Had to keep the doors closed all day to keep out the masses of screaming children, but in the evening it was pure class. Stayed two nights with breakfast included for under $400. Well done peppers.

Room Tip: Room with a spa on the deck
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience with us at Peppers Beach Club. At Peppers we are happy that you found our property along with its amenities “incredible value”, with your personal spa bath on your balcony being an obvious highlight, as they are with most of our guests.
We are a very popular property in Port Douglas with families, and children especially enjoying the sandy lagoon swimming pool which some of our rooms directly overlook. In times of school holidays and the like children can be heard enjoying themselves in our pool. Our recommendation to this would be to stay with us outside of the holidays to ensure an even better experience, however we do understand that timing is a major factor. Requesting a room that faces away from the pool is another possibility. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

My girlfriend & I booked on the premise of this being a relaxing and romantic holiday. Lots of great things, but also a few serious issues. (Note I only just created a TripAdvisor account now and our holiday here was about a year ago so Peppers Management please feel free to correct me if some of this is out of date).

First with the pros:
+ The pool area is truly great. It's like a recreated beach with a large lagoon type pool. A lot of the reviews I'm reading now talk about screaming kids, but this was not our experience at all - it was very quiet and romantic and relaxing when we went. We spent hours reading newspapers, magazines and enjoying each other's company by the poolside on the outdoor couches.
+ Really nice hot breakfast. The eggs benedict on potato rosti was one of the best breakfast dishes I've ever had. Truly amazing. It was romantic eating by the poolside with the sunlight and then having a very decent (albeit small) buffet after the hot meal.
+ The private balcony spa is really nice and romantic. Nothing quite like hopping into a large spa and listening to and watching the rain outside or cuddling up to your loved one watching the sunset.

The cons:
- The 'king' bed was NOT a king at all. It was two singles jammed together. Not at all conducive to romance - very uncomfortable and felt very cheap, particularly given that it is meant to be a 'luxury' hotel. The uncomfortable bedding configuration is, unfortunately, reason alone not for me to return to the otherwise outstanding hotel.
- While the balcony spa was really nice, it was exposed to the pool area. This meant we didn't have full privacy in our 'private' spa. Unless you want to risk offending people, you should probably wear a bikini or boardshorts when using the private spa and keep things PG! Definitely a romance killer and something the hotel could quite easily rectify by installing wooden panel blinds around the whole spa.
- Our room was not serviced on one of the days. When we called up, they said that they weren't working that day because it was a public holiday. While I fully sympathize with management given exorbitant penalty rates in Australia, just refusing to service on a public holiday is cheap.

Room Tip: If staying with your partner, it might be better to pay a bit extra for a room with an actual king b...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Andrew B, General Manager at Peppers Beach Club Port Douglas, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Tom929,

Thank you for finding the time to post this review - albeit a year after your stay!

Thank you for all the positive comments on your stay, I would suggest that most of these are indeed correct.

Our beds are standard hotel quality king zips with protective covering. These are standard five star hotel quality.

I do apologise about the public holiday service. I can confirm we certainly do give guests an option of having their room serviced on a public holiday if their package includes daily servicing.

I hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Adam Taloni

Been to Peppers Beach Club Port Douglas? Share your experiences!