“Good and bad.....” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Rendezvous Reef Resort Port Douglas

You added Rendezvous Reef Resort Port Douglas to your Saves list
Rendezvous Reef Resort Port Douglas
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   121 Port Douglas Road, Port Douglas, Queensland 4877, Australia   |
Ranked #34 of 45 Hotels in Port Douglas
Singapore
“Good and bad.....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

This is a difficult place to review so I'll split it into 2 parts.
The Good:
Staff are very friendly and helpful.
Communal areas are very good, we enjoyed the pools, BBQ area is very good place to meet and socialize with people, and well maintained, tennis courts and gym seemed new additions.
Decent location, particularly if you have a car.
The bad:
The villa we stayed in was billed as luxurious, which is untrue. We bought 7 nights at a charity auction, it was a good cause but the villa itself did not meet our expectations in any way. It was dark, small, had seen much better days and despite us being there 7 days the room was only serviced the day before we left!
Overall I wouldn't recommend this resort, as the quality of accommodation isn't good enough, although I should say that if our accommodation had been better, we would have rated higher, so I think it depends on your luck with the villa.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Our two bedroom villa was spacious and clean but not particularly luxurious. The resort pools are nice but there are lots of people to share them with. It is the sort of resort that attracts those who want to lounge with friends and drink beer while the kids entertain themselves in the pool - nothing wrong with that if that is what you are looking for in a holiday. Someone took our towels which were with our things when we were by the pool (hotel towels, but the hotel charges $2 for extra towels). The included breakfast buffet was quite good but again, sharing it with the masses is not particularly fun. I would stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We ( 3 adults & 3 kids) stayed here for 5 nights end Jul. Villa's were big, plenty of room. on arrival villa seemed clean, on further investigation we found a random sock behind a curtain and a empty beer bottle on the veranda. Couch furnishing are white ?? so obviously look dirty, same can be said about furnishings around pool.
I could get over all this but it was the ants that really distressed me. They were everywhere. Even following instructions left by the hotel in relation to food, we still had them.
We kept everything in the fridge and did no cooking in the villa
The ants were still visible upstairs and definitely no food up there unless you include us.

We had breakfast included, food ok.
Would I stay there again, no.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Kids and I recently spent 9 nights here and experinced what Port Douglas has to ffer, which i might say is 'plenty'
The resort did not disappoint at all. This resort certainly caters for families and it shows.
Great pools and adventure playground right beside our villa and pool at our patio door were a bonus
Good food at restaurant and reasobly priced
The villas are large and reasonably modern and fully self contained with just about all you need to self cater if you wish to.
Staff very friendly and helpful. There were a lot of families staying who i spoke to who said they were surprised at the value of the resort and what it had to offer for families and would be bookibng again for next year as we did on our departure.
All in all a great family holiday in a wonderful family resort that doesn't pretend to be any but that.

Room Tip: anywhere near the playgound and bbq area is great with your own pool as well at ypour door
Adelaide
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Good. My son and I stayed here in a 2 bedroom apartment which was about the same price as a 1 bedroom deluxe so it was great to have a room each to ourselves. He really like the resort. He loved swimming in the pools. I would have liked a warm spa but there wasn't one. Breakfast was included in our package so we didn't have to worry about cooking or preparing our own most mornings although the morning we went on an early tour we had to fend for ourselves. No biggie. We'd also hired a car which allowed us plenty of freedom to go to the shops etc as we pleased rather than having to rely on the shuttle as it's not really walking distance to much except the beach.
The staff were friendly and accommodating and we took advantage of the relatively well-priced takeaway on the couple of nights we couldn't be bothered cooking or going out for dinner.
The Bad. I was being bitten and I initially thought it was by mosquitos as it was on uncovered parts of my body, ie my arms and face. It took me too many nights to realise that I was only being bitten at night and I finally got staff to inspect my room whereupon they eventually found bedbugs. I'm glad they found them because I was beside myself wondering what the hell was happening to me. There weren't many and it took a very close look to find the few that were there. It doesn't mean they're negligent at all, but they initially tried to tell me they didn't think they were bed bugs.
We got moved to another apartment fairly promptly and I got them to inspect the beds before we moved. Unfortunately this wasted a good half a day and for my inconvenience they gave me a bottle of bubbles. When I eventually got stuck into drinking it on the last night I could only have a glass because it tasted awful. They could have at least given me a decent bottle of bubbles or wine, or something.
The Ugly. My bed bug bites were damn ugly. I had to buy long-sleeve tops to cover them up. It's a pity they marred our otherwise excellent holiday. Bed bugs can happen anywhere and it's not a bad idea to inspect your own bed before sleeping in it and now I know that if this ever happens again I'll be doing something a heck of a lot sooner.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We bought 7 nights at a charity fundraiser. It was a good cause and I don't regret that. What does bug me is that the resort is rated 4 stars and for that I would have expected a great deal better. The rooms are only serviced 1 or 2 times a week. The confined layout of the unit , villa 99 was cramped dark and depressing! For some reason there is outdoor furniture at the rear of the town house with a dreadful view of a dried up canal ! There was mould in the bathrooms and the shower heads were so loose that the hand held attachment kept sliding down constantly. There was little maintenance taken of the gardens and that of the general tired resort! What a shame no body seemed to care!

• Stayed July 2013
Coromandel, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We enjoyed our holiday the staff were very friendly and helpful.Our unit was great plenty of room and clean and tidy.It is obviously a resort for families, we did not enjoy all the children at happy hour and our meal times.So if you want peace and quiet don't stay there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Rendezvous Reef Resort Port Douglas? Share your experiences!