“Friends for life!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Freestyle Resort Port Douglas

You added Freestyle Resort Port Douglas to your Saves list
Freestyle Resort Port Douglas
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   47 Davidson Street, Port Douglas, Queensland 4877, Australia   |
Special Offer
AUTUMN TROPICAL BONUS
Ranked #8 of 45 Hotels in Port Douglas
Sydney
“Friends for life!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2009

From the moment we were greeted, I felt like we were "home". Anne is amazing. Anne was knowledgeable about the Port Douglas area (and surrounding attractions). Nothing was a problem. I felt like I had come home, albeit a tropical and magnificnet one. The room was larger than shown in the brochure photos and cleaner than any accomodation I've ever seen on holidays. The room service staff were absolutley a gem! Emailling Anne before our stay to confirm our arrival times and our room was a great way to touch base and to set our minds at ease. Anne knew what we hoped for during our stay and we got to know her a little too. I find holidays are all about people and people are about what they do, what they are passionate about and where they live. Would stay at Freestyle again and again and have already recommended it to family, friends and clients.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Maynooth, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

From the very first contact I made with Freestyle, I knew that we were on to a winner.

She has been mentioned here in other reviews before mine - but there is one person that makes Freestyle what it is.

Anne (the Manager, Tour Guide Arranger, Receptionist, Local Expert, TV Expert etc), is about as professional and friendly as you could ask of anyone who works in the hospitality industry and is an assest to this wonderful complex.

Situated a comfortable 7-10 minute walk from the centre of Port Douglas, Freestyle Apartments are wonderfully airy, well equipped and suited to lots of different types of people.

We stayed in Apt. 25 for 1 week, and as Anne herself admitted - this is one of the best apartments in Freestyle.

A one bedroom apartment with a nice size living area with a 28 inch flatscreen television was a good start - this even had premium sports channels (Fox Sports) which was a nice touch for me!

A small kitchenette included a good size fridge freezer and lots of plates, glasses, cutlery etc. and even a mini dishwasher which was a nice addition. Lots of cooking utensils are offered if you are feeling culinary!

The bedroom is quite big and there is a reasonable amount of storage space.

Shower / Toilet room is big. There was no bath in ours but who needs one!

The Balcony area had a patio table with four chairs and two larger armchair type chairs, ideal for lying back in and enjoying a nice glass of sparkling ozzie wine!

The living room has a powerful Air Con unit and ceiling fans in the living room and bedroom help circulate the air around the rooms. It actually gets too cold if you leave it on for too long!

The balcony has a ceiling fan also.

Getting back to Anne - she was very welcoming and gave my wife and I a tour of the facility when we arrived - pointing out where we were, helping us get our bearings and offered advice on where to eat, where to go and even pointed out short cuts if we were willing to try them.

She organised a wonderful tour for us to the Reef. Without a doubt QUIKSILVER tours offer a wonderful day out. Well worth the money.

Were were charged $175 AUS per night - which for us Irish, worked out at an incredible €100 per night - which in our book was EXCELLENT value for the service you got and the beautiful surrounds of Port Douglas.

We had looked into staying at some of the other resorts in PD and we are thankful now that we didn't.

Parking is available underground and there is a small pool area available with a BBQ for those who want to entertain themselves!

Without a doubt, I could not fault Freestyle Apts in the 7 days that we spent there.

We hope to get back there some day soon!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Canberra
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

I stayed for approximately four days with some friends in a lovely two bedroom apartment. It was quite spacious with good facilities (two bathrooms (although no door on the upstairs one!), nice lounge, balcony (overlooking the old cemetary!), small kitchen) and the resort itself was quite beautiful with a lovely pool and BBQ area and was within walking distance to the main streets and beach (although on hot days just a bit too far).

Unfortunately we had asked for two single beds in both rooms but were given a queen in one, resulting in one of us having to sleep on the pull out couch. We were on the third floor and there was no lift and no one to help us carry our bags up the stairs (or down the stairs on our departure). I arrived at 2pm and departed at 11am - times when I would have expected help to be available. I didn't have an overly large bag but dragging it up two flights of stairs was very difficult and would be impossible for those with injuries, disabilities or the elderly.

On arrival Anne (the manager) spent quite a while running us through a map of Port Douglas pointing out the multiple restaurants, attractions, etc. I realise she was trying to be helpful but instead she was overwhelming and as all I wanted to do was rest after my long flight, I remembered little of what she said.

For the remainder of our time spent there I felt like I was an inconvenience to her. Even though the website states 24 hour service, we were very clearly advised that it was better to make requests prior to 6pm (which felt like a hint not to ask any at all). Upon check-out, although I had already paid airport transfers and these had been confirmed, I was charged again and rather than apologise, I was made to feel like it was my fault I had been re-charged. I was also frustrated that we were paying a reasonable amount of money for our accomodation and yet if we wanted them, we had to pay to have teabags and coffee sachets replenished.

Although this was a lovely resort in a great location, I consider good customer service and appropriate facilities to be extremely important, thus my reason for ranking the resort so low. I would not stay there again because although I enjoyed the apartment, I did not enjoy my stay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
FreestyleResort, Manager at Freestyle Resort Port Douglas, responded to this review, August 9, 2009
We had dearly hoped our 50th review would be reflective of the high standards we strive to achieve for all guests. Let’s get it clear, we like to get it right. Because we care, we remember these guests with some clarity.

Maybe if we relate the flip side of their complaints the ledger should balance a bit fairer.

emm3cee booked through a travel agent for two adults sharing a two-bedroom apartment and in doing so She secured a great deal. emm3cee then ignored the travel agent and came direct to us at Freestyle and advised that there will now be 3 of us (possibly 4) as we're coming up en masse to go to a friend's wedding.

Over the next couple of months the number of guests attached to her booking changed, the flight numbers changed and the multiple arrival times changed. We emailed emm3cee to confirm the transfer arrangements a week before her arrival and confirmed that each person could pay separately for their own transfers. Emm3cee was also advised by us (and if she had bothered to ask, by her travel agent) of the bedding configuration in the apartment. Separate accounts were prepared for the four guests extra expenditures as they had requested, but Bijo said she wouldn’t pay for the transfers because she had given the money to her friend emm3cee. Yes, there was confusion about the separate bills, because neither Bijo nor emm3cee had paid us for the transfers at the time the bill was presented to Bijo.

Can we also clarify that the pool at Freestyle Resort may be used until 10.00 pm and most guests appreciate this and respect the need to be aware that other guests in apartments near the pool may have turned in for the night.

An extensive cook up on the barbecue at that hour by emm3cee is in another league and the four young women who could not work out how to use it without having to call out the managers (and not just once!) to assist at that hour may well have felt a bit let down when they were eventually declined assistance. Later again that evening they set off the smoke alarm in their apartment, disturbing other guests. To cap it off, the next morning they asked to cancel their reef trip less than an hour before departure … it wasn’t as sunny as they had expected and they had changed their minds. It's no wonder we have not forgotten them.

We care passionately for our guests and that they enjoy their stay .
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

Rented a 2-br place there for 4 nights, nicely furnished, on two levels, upper bedroom had whirlpool, w/ small kitchen, and nice balcony with table and chairs, just as shown in website photo

Have stayed other places there that were comparable or better, but what makes this place outstanding is Anne's great advice on what to do and where to eat. She had good advice on reef trips. E.g., Low Isles is nice, but it's like a day at the beach, if you want to see lots of coral, the outer reef trips are better. I had done a Low Isles trip years ago, and had forgotten that we did find the whole day there a bit long.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Cupertino, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

I had a wonderful stay. Anne, the onsite manager, and her husband made the stay fantastic. The rooms are very well-furnished, clean, and modern. The room in which I stayed, room 8, was very nice. It was essentially a 1-bedroom apartment. It feels like it was renovated very recently and in a very nice way. It was nice to feel like I was staying in a room that was brand new.

The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was medium-size and was very clean. The living room area was great, with a couch and a couple of chairs and a large flat-screen TV. The TV has two movie channels included. This was the only place in Australia that included movie channels, so I was impressed. The kitchen was very nice, with all of the basic stuff that you would need, and a few extra nice touches thrown in. It even includes a small dishwasher.

The Internet service was free and was the best of anyplace at which I stayed in Australia. The rooms all include Internet service via an Ethernet cable (wired). Additionally, a few of the rooms are close enough to the lobby to receive wireless Internet (which is provided in the lobby area). When I told Anne that it was important to me to have a good Internet connection, she changed my room to one that she thought would have a good chance of being in range of the wireless router.

The room also included a patio that had a table and chairs on it, which was a very nice place to eat dinner or have a drink. Our room overlooked the pool and barbecue area, which was nice.

Anne is extraordinarily knowledgeable about the entire area, and her recommendations really made our trip. She recommended great restaurants. She recommended a very good boat tour on the Daintree River. When I told her that we only had time for a brief day of snorkeling one day, she recommended Reef Sprinter, which turned out to be awesome. It is a relatively small fast boat that gets you from Port Douglas to the Low Isles in just 15 minutes (instead of 1 hour or more on other boats). Then you snorkel for 1.5 to 2 hours, and then you return. I saw some amazing coral and fish. Reef Sprinter stops 100 meters or so from the Low Isles, in an area with great snorkeling. (They also have a glass bottom boat anchored there, for those who do not want to snorkel.) While we were out there, we also saw the Shaolin Chinese junk, which gives tours, and it looked much slower but very cool!

This hotel is a bit of a walk (0.5 to 1 km?) to the main street of shops in Port Douglas, which is Macrossan Street. The hotel includes free parking, so I must admit that we chose to drive to the town instead of walk.

I stayed in Palm Cove the week before coming to Port Douglas, and I much preferred staying in Port Douglas.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

Our stay at Freestyle was marred by the poor service we experienced from the onsite managers. Emails sent to confirm transport bookings were not answered for weeks. When we did arrive we found the facilities, including the pool, to be great and our room was very comfortable. However we were disappointed at the unhelpful and antagonistic attitude of the onsite managers when we asked for help with the BBQ one night by calling their out of office number. This was wthin the opening hours of the pool so it was reasonable to expect assistance. However we were hung up on after the manager told us very angrily that we should have eaten earlier. In another incident we had to cancel a planned reef trip at short notice that we'd booked through the front desk. However our cancellation request was taken very reluctantly and we were admonished with the threat of 'penalties'. This made us wonder if the onsite managers receive a commission from the reef company which would explain their reluctance to process our cancellation. Finally at checkout, when we asked for separate bills, we were lectured and told that we had caused great inconvenience. We will not be staying at Freestyle again, despite finding our room very comforable and the location convenient.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends

We care passionately for our guests and that they enjoy their stay .
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

We stayed at the Freestyle Resort for 3 nights and just loved it. Upon arrival the lady at the front was so friendly and welcoming. She gave us 2 beach towels to take on our Great Barrier Reef trip and even called our tour company to confirm our snorkel tour for us the next day. She then walked us to our room and gave us a mini tour of the room.

The room itself is like a mini apartment with a spotless kitchen complete with fridge, microwave, dishwasher, and cookware. So convenient and economical to go to the supermarket and make your own meals. Most restaurants in Port Douglas are pricey in my opinion. The room was also very nicely furnished. There is a mini safe in the room, but they do charge you by the day for using it.

Would stay here again and I highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Freestyle Resort Port Douglas? Share your experiences!