“Great location ..... Looking to stay somewhere else next year” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Freestyle Resort Port Douglas

You added Freestyle Resort Port Douglas to your Saves list
Freestyle Resort Port Douglas
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   47 Davidson Street, Port Douglas, Queensland 4877, Australia   |
Ranked #4 of 45 Hotels in Port Douglas
Green Point, Australia
“Great location ..... Looking to stay somewhere else next year”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I am writing this review for 2 reasons.

One

I stayed at this resort in August. The layout of the room was great, location was good, each room was private, and the pool area was very relaxing. The hammering and drilling we received above our room one morning was ridiculous, If I had been treated the same as others when they approached management to enquire if this would be happening the next day, I would not have been as polite. YES it went for a short time 15mins -1/2hr but.... NO it wasn’t after 9am and it was actually closer to 830am. While it did not wake me up, it did wake up my WIFE! Why didn’t we complain... well after you hear about the treatment of others you realise Freestyle resort doesn’t real care for FEEDBACK!!!

TWO

I find the practice to attack any negative feedback from the management of this facility to be very unprofessional. The feedback provided is because of your operations (yes we know this is a small snapshot of time spent) and as such you should take the time to review yourselves and ensure you fix it for the future and not try to discredit a paying customer. Guess what.... that’s CUSTOMER SERVICE!
I look forward to your negative response!

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Gosford, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Location was good. Loved the pool and that toys were provided for the kids and the outdoor foyer area. Rooms were just the right size and there was care taken to make this a lovely place to visit. Best word to describe service. Defensive.

I too was with the Wedding party that visited in August and can vouch that the noise works directly above my room did wake me and my husband up and definitely occurred prior to 9am as we were out and about early that day.

I am appalled at the response given to the review provided by one of our party. It is clear that the operators chose to continue their defensive behavior to this online forum for all other reviewers to see.

We did not complain because we had been made aware that any issues were not taken kindly from more than the 'princess' as you refer to our friend above and could not be bothered having to deal with that behavior on our holiday and during our friends wedding.

I am an early riser at home and 8am is a sleep in for me. That drilling was earlier than 9am and I believe the response given at the time to the 'princess' was 'well the rest of your party was already at the beach and it didn't happen that early'. Even if you think you are right. Humor us, apologize for the inconvenience and ensure us that it won't happen again. That would have turned a negative experience in to a positive.

I rarely complain. I visited a hotel recently that had no hot water the entire time, but the staff were so nice I didn't have the heart to tell them I wasn't enjoying the amenities. I worked in the service industry for over 10 years. I know people can be annoying, but biting your tongue and focuses on making a better experience for the customer is a skill.

How you interact with your guests is paramount to their experience. Providing an additional towel is not a demanding request and that guest should not have felt like they were putting someone out and proceed to use a wet towel instead because they did not like confrontation. Bad experience.

I think the 'princess' made valid concerns that could have been easily overcome. I would not like Anne to feel victimized as I am sure they were a couple of bad experiences among many good ones but this was a good opportunity to hear your customers concerns and attempt to rectify them and you have failed.

Now because you chose to be defensive and aggressive by calling our friend a 'princess' and disregarding her comments, you get a second negative review. I hope it was worth it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed at Freestyle last week and are very happy customers! It is well located, in walking distance to the main shops, cafes and beach so we did not need a car for the week which was great. The short walks to and from here and there made it more enjoyable and relaxing for us. Anne, the host was exceptionally helpful and hospitable and made sure we had everything we needed on arrival and throughout our stay, always anticipating our needs. Anne has great local knowledge and gave us a great run down of where to go for everything, she recommended an excellent massage place and even suggested things we could do to entertain our 8 month old which was sweet of her :) The facilities are great- BBQ, nice pool and spa, guest laundry, newspapers /magazines which you can read by the pool. The comfy bed, balcony with a sweet little tropical garden view, dishwasher and the mid week service clean were nice extra touches. We bumped into another couple at the airport on the way home who stayed at Freestyle who also said it was great. We had a lovely stay with you at Freestyle and in PD, it s such a laid back friendly place, a great holiday. We will absolutely return.

Room Tip: Let Anne know your requirements and she will do your best to accommodate you i.e if you have a strol...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

As we arrived at Freestyle Resort (after 2 weeks being on the run with a Motorhome) we felt like being in heaven ! When we opened the door to our condo we couldn't believe our luck: our appartment was very nice decorated, very clean and lots of space (duplex). The perfect layout gave me and my husband and the kids enough room to relax.
The manager Anne is a very nice lady who helped us anytime with our questions.
The location of Freestyle is in my opinion perfect: 10 min by foot to the beginning of the shopping and restaurant area.
Freestyle is a perfect place for families!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We booked 10 rooms as a wedding party staying here in August, and I have to say the location was fantastic, the layout of the rooms very good, the balconies lovely and sheltered and private and the pool area great for kids and families.

However, we had several issues with the management. We were woken at 8.45am one morning by drilling and hammering above our heads. We asked later at reception if the drilling and hammering would be happening the next morning, as it would be the morning after the wedding and we wanted to be prepared. Perhaps we just caught Anne on a bad day, but the levels of passive aggression displayed by her were unreal. She told us she could not give us any guarantees, and told us everyone else was up by 8.45am (the relevance of this I still fail to see! we were on holiday, we can sleep as long as we like!) and advised us that anyway the work happened at 9am. Clearly I am blind and cannot read a clock that said 8.45am.
My brother (the groom) also had issues asking for another towel. It was made such a fuss of that they used a dirty and wet towel as they didn't realise only one towel was allowed per person for a 7 night stay.

It's such a shame that this happened, especially in the service industry. Other people within our group who didn't ask any questions or interact with Anne didn't have any problems at all, so as I said perhaps we caught her on a bad day, but I'm afraid we won't be staying here again.

There is such a huge assortment of accommodation in Port Douglas, it doesn't make sense to stay somewhere where the reception staff have a bad attitude. Port Douglas is a lovely, positive place and we will definitely be back there, just not to Freestyle.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ManagerFreestyle, Owner at Freestyle Resort Port Douglas, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Princess travel-fan-aussie,

We appreciate your recognition that our location is perfect for most who visit Port Douglas, being just a bit out of the main street but beachside of four mile beach and close to all the attractions of Port Douglas and within walking distance. Our theme is that there is no need for a car at Freestyle Resort, as you are no more than a 10 minute walk from anywhere you want to go to in the Village.

For clarification on your other several issues, I can say that the works were conducted well after 9am , as we had instructed our Plumber not to work until after then. I also heard the noise, it only went for a short time and was in response to a plumbing leak that had to be stemmed. It was not anything that would usually be heard in any Hotel environment at that time of day. And was not repeated during the next day.

I counsel that when you stay in multiple unit/hotel room accommodations you need to understand that you are in a community environment and it is not exclusively regulated to your convenience.

FYI. We confirm that we heard from you about your concerns regards the noise on the day and consulted other members of the Wedding Party about your concerns/problem. Your mother said to Anne, "don't worry about her" etc., which I can't publish here.

The above pretty much encapsulates what your review was about. We are disappointed that you have not had the goodwill to admit that the rest of your Family had a very happy time at your Brother's Wedding and their stay at Freestyle, which was not booked by you as you insinuate. Most of your family bookings were week long stays and really well received by myself and Anne as we found your family to be very friendly and engaging with us both, something you clearly missed out on......( FYI Anne is now very upset and distressed by your intemperate comments)

I would really appreciate hearing from other Family members who stayed at Freestyle for a balanced view.If we have got this wrong above we will take it all on board as usual and strive to do better and provide our usual superlative customer service ongoing.

Yours,

Jason Moore
Managing Director
Freestyle Resort port Douglas.
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed at Freestyle during August. 1 bedroom apartment with nice sheltered patio.Excellent location as in quiet area but still very handy (short walk) to town, beach and marina. Anne was an exceptionally gracious and helpful host -nothing was too much trouble.She arranged our transfers and recommended tour options and places to eat. Lovely pool in garden setting. Would recommend staying here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Every accommodation review from Cairns to Cooktown should be read with the understanding that the location involves a premium of probably 20%. Freestyle is no exception though it's in a great location, far enough from Macrossyn St to be quiet but still a short walk to all restaurants, beach and marina.

The owners are attentive and efficient providing great service. Our room was a good size and well appointed with fridge, cooktop, microwave and dishwasher. Cane furniture is probably due for an update but this is a pretty minor point.

Aside from the premium attracted by all properties in Port Douglas, Freestyle is highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Freestyle Resort Port Douglas? Share your experiences!