“Great stay, excellent location, nice extra touches, and lovely host.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Freestyle Resort Port Douglas

Save Saved
You added Freestyle Resort Port Douglas to your Saves list
Freestyle Resort Port Douglas
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   47 Davidson Street, Port Douglas, Queensland 4877, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
FREE WI-FI & POOL TOWELS
Ranked #4 of 46 hotels in Port Douglas
Melbourne, Australia
“Great stay, excellent location, nice extra touches, and lovely host.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed at Freestyle last week and are very happy customers! It is well located, in walking distance to the main shops, cafes and beach so we did not need a car for the week which was great. The short walks to and from here and there made it more enjoyable and relaxing for us. Anne, the host was exceptionally helpful and hospitable and made sure we had everything we needed on arrival and throughout our stay, always anticipating our needs. Anne has great local knowledge and gave us a great run down of where to go for everything, she recommended an excellent massage place and even suggested things we could do to entertain our 8 month old which was sweet of her :) The facilities are great- BBQ, nice pool and spa, guest laundry, newspapers /magazines which you can read by the pool. The comfy bed, balcony with a sweet little tropical garden view, dishwasher and the mid week service clean were nice extra touches. We bumped into another couple at the airport on the way home who stayed at Freestyle who also said it was great. We had a lovely stay with you at Freestyle and in PD, it s such a laid back friendly place, a great holiday. We will absolutely return.

Room Tip: Let Anne know your requirements and she will do your best to accommodate you i.e if you have a strol...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

451 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

As we arrived at Freestyle Resort (after 2 weeks being on the run with a Motorhome) we felt like being in heaven ! When we opened the door to our condo we couldn't believe our luck: our appartment was very nice decorated, very clean and lots of space (duplex). The perfect layout gave me and my husband and the kids enough room to relax.
The manager Anne is a very nice lady who helped us anytime with our questions.
The location of Freestyle is in my opinion perfect: 10 min by foot to the beginning of the shopping and restaurant area.
Freestyle is a perfect place for families!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We booked 10 rooms as a wedding party staying here in August, and I have to say the location was fantastic, the layout of the rooms very good, the balconies lovely and sheltered and private and the pool area great for kids and families.

However, we had several issues with the management. We were woken at 8.45am one morning by drilling and hammering above our heads. We asked later at reception if the drilling and hammering would be happening the next morning, as it would be the morning after the wedding and we wanted to be prepared. Perhaps we just caught Anne on a bad day, but the levels of passive aggression displayed by her were unreal. She told us she could not give us any guarantees, and told us everyone else was up by 8.45am (the relevance of this I still fail to see! we were on holiday, we can sleep as long as we like!) and advised us that anyway the work happened at 9am. Clearly I am blind and cannot read a clock that said 8.45am.
My brother (the groom) also had issues asking for another towel. It was made such a fuss of that they used a dirty and wet towel as they didn't realise only one towel was allowed per person for a 7 night stay.

It's such a shame that this happened, especially in the service industry. Other people within our group who didn't ask any questions or interact with Anne didn't have any problems at all, so as I said perhaps we caught her on a bad day, but I'm afraid we won't be staying here again.

There is such a huge assortment of accommodation in Port Douglas, it doesn't make sense to stay somewhere where the reception staff have a bad attitude. Port Douglas is a lovely, positive place and we will definitely be back there, just not to Freestyle.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ManagerFreestyle, Owner at Freestyle Resort Port Douglas, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Princess travel-fan-aussie,

We appreciate your recognition that our location is perfect for most who visit Port Douglas, being just a bit out of the main street but beachside of four mile beach and close to all the attractions of Port Douglas and within walking distance. Our theme is that there is no need for a car at Freestyle Resort, as you are no more than a 10 minute walk from anywhere you want to go to in the Village.

For clarification on your other several issues, I can say that the works were conducted well after 9am , as we had instructed our Plumber not to work until after then. I also heard the noise, it only went for a short time and was in response to a plumbing leak that had to be stemmed. It was not anything that would usually be heard in any Hotel environment at that time of day. And was not repeated during the next day.

I counsel that when you stay in multiple unit/hotel room accommodations you need to understand that you are in a community environment and it is not exclusively regulated to your convenience.

FYI. We confirm that we heard from you about your concerns regards the noise on the day and consulted other members of the Wedding Party about your concerns/problem. Your mother said to Anne, "don't worry about her" etc., which I can't publish here.

The above pretty much encapsulates what your review was about. We are disappointed that you have not had the goodwill to admit that the rest of your Family had a very happy time at your Brother's Wedding and their stay at Freestyle, which was not booked by you as you insinuate. Most of your family bookings were week long stays and really well received by myself and Anne as we found your family to be very friendly and engaging with us both, something you clearly missed out on......( FYI Anne is now very upset and distressed by your intemperate comments)

I would really appreciate hearing from other Family members who stayed at Freestyle for a balanced view.If we have got this wrong above we will take it all on board as usual and strive to do better and provide our usual superlative customer service ongoing.

Yours,

Jason Moore
Managing Director
Freestyle Resort port Douglas.
Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed at Freestyle during August. 1 bedroom apartment with nice sheltered patio.Excellent location as in quiet area but still very handy (short walk) to town, beach and marina. Anne was an exceptionally gracious and helpful host -nothing was too much trouble.She arranged our transfers and recommended tour options and places to eat. Lovely pool in garden setting. Would recommend staying here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Every accommodation review from Cairns to Cooktown should be read with the understanding that the location involves a premium of probably 20%. Freestyle is no exception though it's in a great location, far enough from Macrossyn St to be quiet but still a short walk to all restaurants, beach and marina.

The owners are attentive and efficient providing great service. Our room was a good size and well appointed with fridge, cooktop, microwave and dishwasher. Cane furniture is probably due for an update but this is a pretty minor point.

Aside from the premium attracted by all properties in Port Douglas, Freestyle is highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Was looking at going away for a couple of weeks for my birthday and wanted to start off in Port Douglas as i'd never been to the Barrier Reef and had heard from numerous people how nice the town of Port Douglas was

Some friends of mine always stayed at the Freestyle and raved about it so I decided to give it a go. From my intial dealings with Ann who organised my transfers to and from Cairns Airport and gave me some local advice it started off on a high note.

I arrived on Thu Aug 1 and after a long morning of travelling from a 3 hour flight from Melbourne to an hour by shuttle up the coast to Port Douglas (Very pretty coastal drive) I was met by Jason who apologised profusely as he was checking in other guests but handed me the key to my apartment (21) and told me to go rest up, get changed if I so wished, relax and when I felt like it come down and we could do formalities.

About 45 mins later I headed down and was met by Ann. Just like Jason she was lovely and immediately gave me a run down of the town, Their own personal opinions about certain restaurants & food and then talked over tours with me.

The apartment itself was great. It was a one bedroom, Nice furnishings, A decent size living area, small kitchen, bedroom & bathroom. As my apartment was on the top (3rd) floor it also had a balcony overlooking the pool and a bit of the road. I personally didn't think it was small at all and found it quite spacious.

The kitchen had a dishwasher, stovetop, pantry and fridge/freezer plus a decent microwave, so just perfect if you didn't want to eat out.

The family room/living area had a tv with freeview channels plus around 8 cable channels and nice & comfy chairs/couches.

The bedroom had a queen size bed, was comfortable and was again of a nice size. The whole apartment including the balcony had a ceiling fan in each room and a air conditioning unit in the lounge.

Bathroom had a decent shower, sink and had a Eco toiletries starter pack.

Although I never used it they had a guest laundry in a room next to the underground car park, The pool was fantastic and quite an interesting design, I did like the way they had grown some vines over the terrace which hung over the pool, great look! The only downside is it causes leaves to drop into the pool.

I do have to agree with a previous reviewer about the spa though....It was a cold water spa and sometimes seemed colder than the pool which when you're looking forward to a hot spa was a bit of a dissapointment.

The fact the pool stayed open till 10pm was also a great bonus!

Now for the location, It's about a 2 and a half/3 block walk into town. They have some great restaurants (Albeit a little pricey) one of my favourites was "Zinc" at the Portico complex on the corner of Davidson & Macrossan St. The barramundi is to die for!

Macrossan Street is the main street with most of the restaurants, Be sure to have a Peanut Butter Icecream at Wicked (So good!) but truthfully I thought the "Shakes" place was just as good and a little friendlier.

There's a coles and foodworks on Macrossan for those who want to eat in, And one thing I did notice about Port Douglas is very few takeaway places....So it can get quite expensive for those on budgets!

Lure on the marina had some good food and "Rattle & Hum" also did some good casual meals (The chicken parma is Huge!!!)

Some friends of mine who now live in Cairns came to visit and Anne graciously asked if we needed any extra sheets in case they wanted to stay....Very thoughtful!

I used "Great Adventures" for a Daintree tour (It was just ok) and went on the Quicksilver tours for a barrier reef excursion (Absolutely fantastic)

To sum up this is a beautiful town with great hosts and I would definitely go again, I will be recommending to family & friends and Anne and Jason do a great job!

I checked out at 5am on Aug 6 (Due to early flight to Hamilton Island) and again Anne had organised my pick up which went flawlessly through Expemplar.

I shall return!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Northern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The Freestyle resort was a very nice place to stay in Port Douglas. It's really a collection of self-catering apartments that are nicely decorated and spacious. We even had our own patio. The owners were friendly and helpful. Anne even helped us postpone our Great Barrier Reef snorkeling trip because the weather bad and the seas had kicked up when we arrived. We wound up taking the trip on a perfect day and it was wonderful. Thank you, Anne!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Freestyle Resort Port Douglas? Share your experiences!