“Good location, shame about the attitude” 2 of 5 stars

Hibiscus Gardens Spa Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   22 Owens St, Port Douglas, Queensland 4877, Australia   |
Ranked #22 of 45 Hotels in Port Douglas
Sydney, Australia
“Good location, shame about the attitude”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We recently stayed her for a week – we got a 1 bedroom unit which was simple but had all the things we needed. The location is definitely its highlight – located a block back from the main strip and in the middle of the beach and marina made it perfect for walking around. However, we would not stay here again or recommend to others. Our TV did not work the entire time, not that we wanted to use it much, but trying to get it fixed was a nightmare, not to dwell on it but the service and communication was very poor. What topped it off was how we were treated by the manager when we checked out and confronted him with this issue – rude is an understatement (and after reading other reviews here it seems to be a common theme). Not once did he apologise for the inconvenience himself. One of the girls on reception during the week was lovely, but apart from her I felt like we were a hassle for the management.

To be honest, I have never been treated so badly by somewhere we were paying to stay – we are not fussy people but were made to feel bad.

My recommendation is if you want a place just to sleep, then it is fine, but if you have any questions or problems don’t expect a friendly resolution. There are plenty of places to stay in Port Douglas and we won’t be choosing here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Let me start by saying I have not stayed at this resort and never will based on my phone conversation today. I received an email advising of a Cudo offer at the Hibiscus Gardens Spa Resort. I was interested in booking two vouchers. As the offer did not advise what room type was on offer for the 2-bed (2-bed 1 bath or 2-bed 2 bath) I rang to clarify. I was also curious to know if the offer included daily room service. A nice lady helped me initially saying it was a 2-bed - 2 bath offer. When I enquired about the daily room service she put me through to the manager. The manager wasn't at all friendly when he came on the line. When I explained what I was enquiring about he said that the lady had clarified that it was 2-bed 2 bath. I asked if it included daily room service and he said it didn't. I then said that I was keen to know what the offer value ($2705) was based on. Looking at the rates I thought it must be the highest rate ($395 with daily room service - however this only adds up to $1980). This is when he started to get very rude. I said I couldn't work out the value and that I was keen to know what I was getting if I was going to purchase a voucher. He proceeded to get very rude and told me not to come and stay if I didn't like the offer. Well quite frankly why on earth would I want to stay when the MANAGER is rude, rude, rude? Anyone else considering this offer do the maths. It doesn't add up and I'll be letting Cudo know that they haven't included enough small print in this offer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Hibiscus Gardens has the promise of it all. 2 pools which are usually empty except for 1 or 2 other guests so that it is great to swim and read in peace; a spa that has excellent massage therapists; and breakfast under Balinese type gazebos next to the pool.

It's very peaceful whether on your balcony, in the pool areas or at the spa.

The room needs a little work though. The fridge didn't keep the drinks cold so a cold crisp wine was hard to create; the pipes in the toilet groaned every time you flushed and the bed was rock hard.

Despite this the setting is fantastic, it is close to Macrossan and if there was just a few updates to the rooms, especially the fridge, I would be back!

• Stayed November 2012
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We have just returned from our 5 night cudo voucher deal and overall was a fantastic resort, although we wont be back as the bed was simply shocking was like sleeping on the floor, the breakfast buffet is not user friendly it was a nightmare each day just to get simple breakfast. that while it seems small the bed issue is massive. ouch!!! location fantastic and very clean resort, the front desk were nice

Room Tip: all over looked the pool very romantic
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Resort rooms were nice,clean and suited us. However we ran out of toilet paper, garbage bags and had to use the same towels for the week. Shower door was also broken. Both managers need to learn to smile and treat their clients with respect & some manners. Our 'complimentry' transfers from cairns airport were a debacle. As my partner and i arrived separately, we had seperate transfers. my name was not on bus drivers list, so I was extremely happy he had one vacant seat at 5am and agreed to take me, only that I had proof of an email confirming transport from resort managers. My partners flight, however, was 15 mins late, so they didn't wait for him, leaving him to arrange his own transport!! Managers did not want to discuss matter with us, hanging up on the phone & walking away when I tried talking to them. We were told loudly ' if you don't like it, pack your bags and leave!!' they were rude, unhelpful and disrespectful. We were not the only ones there complaining either, we chatted to 2 other families who were unhappy with level of service.

Room Tip: Rooms at back are quieter. Triple confirm all bookings made with managers.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I loved this resort because being 2 single ladies it is often hard to get separate rooms let alone separate bathrooms! We were able to relax in the sitting room or on the balcony which was like a private dining room and then get ready for the evenings without getting in each others way in the bathrooms. It is in easy walking distance of the shops and beaches. The Staff were great and the pool private and relaxing. It has a real Bali feel to the whole place. Lovely dark timber is a feature along with the gardens.

Room Tip: As mentioned in my review if you need 2 beds get the 2 bedroom apartment.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

After reading Trip Adviser reviews we were nervous about staying in a studio apartment because of comments about the view of a wall. So we booked a one bedroom apartment. It had a lovely view of the pool and lots of palm trees and other greenery. The owners and staff were lovely and we had a very nice time during our stay. The location was perfect, as it was only a block or so from the main street. We would definitely come back again.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Hibiscus Gardens Spa Resort? Share your experiences!