We (family of 4) stayed at Verandah's for 4 nights in mid-Oct 2006. We selected the property based on reviews on Tripadvisor. While our overall experience was not bad, we came away feeling a bit disappointed:
Unfortunately the owners hit a family emergency so were not around to offer the personal service, advice on tours etc that we expected. We found it odd that the property was left up to a relative nursing a very young infant - We couldn't fault her for best effort in keeping the place running, but ultimately felt the experience fell short of what was advertised.
We knew going in that the apartment was serviced only twice a week but despite checking in on a Thursday and checking out on a Monday, that meant we didn't get fresh bedding or towels at all in our whole stay. Seemed odd, and it was awkward to go back to reception to ask for the odd fresh towel in the evening, when there was nobody there to help.
The apartment was well fitted out and clean with very nice bathrooms, including a huge walk-in shower in the master. There was a patio with doors that could be opened way up. We had a problem with some mini-ants (smallest I've ever seen) that meant we had to put all food in the fridge, even breakfast cereal, cookies etc. Not a big deal, just a bit of pain.
Location was superb. Right next to a fantastic little bakery (Brumby's) so we were able to get our own fresh breakfast and newspaper each day. Just 1 short block from the main street in the village with lots of restaurants. Also, just 1 block from the beach - but don't expect parasols and cocktails, it's very unspoiled and more of a place for a nice walk than a day in the sand (the beach is very flat and the tide must come all the way into the treeline, because it's firm and smooth, not fluffy and sandy).
If we were going back we'd probably try a different property - there are many there.
In terms of day trips:
- Snorkeling on the reef is expensive, but a must. We went with the company with the blue/yellow boats and brochures (think Ikea look and you'll spot it) and were super-impressed.
- Hartley's crocodile farm is a great half-day out. There's a good sequence of various programs starting at 1pm, that will keep you busy/interested/engaged all afternoon.
- For visiting the Daintree, I recommend Cooper Creek Wilderness; much less touristy and truly off the beaten path and genuine.
- Also Known As:
- Verandahs Boutique Apartments Hotel
- Verandahs Boutique Apartments Hotel Port Douglas
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Verandahs Boutique Apartments - beautiful tropical style holiday apartments set in lush tropical gardens and ideally located a mere 50 metres from the heart of Macrossan Street’s Cafes, Bars & Boutique Shops & only 150 metres to the famous 4 Mile Beach. Blending luxurious comfort with impressive facilities, Verandahs Boutique Apartments offer 4.5 Star facilities perfectly designed to take in the ambience of the tropical climate whilst combining all the comforts and convenience of home ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Verandahs Boutique Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.