This is a lovely family run apartment hotel. As part of our Australia tour we stayed here the longest as the relaxing beach holiday section.
The room we had was pool view on 1st floor, good studio size room with comfortable beds, small sofa to watch tv, decent size balcony for dining on, large bathroom that is just a corner shower. The kitchen area is very small which was tricky for preparing salads but somehow manageable. No oven so for our Christmas dinner we wrapped chicken in bacon with stuffing in tinfoil and left on the good BBQ area by the pool. Everything you may need is generally there. The air con is good but noisy so we just had the fan on at night.
The hotel has a garage which was good for us as we had come by hire car to give us a bit of freedom to travel, even to the wildlife area that is up the road but a very long way up the road. The pool is lovely to swim in, and the surrounding area is decked nicely. Not that many sunbeds but there is a beach five minutes up the road, and if there were any more then the decking would become overcrowded. There is plenty of information about tours in the area at reception.
The main shopping road is nearby with a good variety of cafes and bars, a small market on Sunday I think it was, plus Coles supermarket set back slightly from the main shopping road.
We took a trip on the quicksilver outer reef which was smooth (me and mum aren't good on boats). Like all tours, try to sell you all the extras, the main thing (as well as being very overcrowded although having a large pontoon area) was this whole swimsuit thing for $7. I am allergic to insect bites and stings so was convinced the jellyfish would get me while snorkelling. Just sitting at the pontoon there were many small ones floating around me, and promptly I swam through them, and I did not get stung. So it seems a farce as I'd say 200 of the 300 onboard hired the suits so made the company a nice $1400.
Back to the hotel! It is in a great location, lovely pool and BBQ area, the guys know a lot about the area and suggest some good tours to do, and the room is a good apartment, however the wifi was the most expensive on our tour around Australia so didn't use it. But the hotel has a great retreat feel with all the vegetation and trees around making it feel secluded. Great little place.
- Also Known As:
- Port Douglas Retreat Hotel
- Port Douglas Retreat Hotel Port Douglas
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- IDEAL ACCOMMODATION IN PORT DOUGLAS. Port Douglas Retreat Holiday Accommodation offers 3.5 star self-contained studio apartments in Port Douglas, Far North Queensland, Australia. Perfect holiday accommodation for couples or single travellers. EXCELLENT LOCATION. Port Douglas Retreat Holiday Accommodation is superbly located just a few minutes’ walk to Four Mile Beach or Macrossan Street and Marina Mirage. VISITOR INFORMATION. With an in-house tour desk and local knowledge, your hosts can help create your wonderful Port Douglas experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Olotels, Otel and Tingo so you can book your Port Douglas Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.