“Rain forest getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mai Tai Resort

You added Mai Tai Resort to your Saves list
Mai Tai Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   292 Mossman Mt. Molloy Road | Cassowary, Port Douglas, Queensland 4873, Australia   |
Special Rate
CHEAPEST RATES
Ranked #1 of 45 Hotels in Port Douglas
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Rain forest getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

The Mia Tai resort is everything it promises, and my wife and I enjoyed our trip immensely. From reading the other reviews we had a fair idea of what to expect but the 2 points I would add are the views from the eating area across the ancient rain forest and the tranquility only broken by the noise of a few crickets and the gentle ringing of a kittens bell.

An important point that I have to add about this resort is that its greatest asset is also its only flaw. Anyone traveling here will be looking for the same getaway as we were, to be away from the busy town of Port Douglas and noisy back packers and kids! However, if you like a drink, as both my wife and I do it will set you back $65 each way for taxis! A car is completely necessary if you want to get around. As I say though if the nightlife is important to you, then you'd be better of staying in Port Douglas, if its relaxation and beautiful setting then Mai Tai is the place to be.

I can only add to the glowing feedback for the hosts, especially André as he met us each time we arrived back, made excellent suggestions for day trip and restaurants and even swapped TV's for me as i wanted to watch the World Cup final at 5am. I believe they would do anything to make your stay as comfortable as possible and you can ask for no more in a host.

And one last thing, the outdoor shower in the middle of the rain forest is a treat that could unwind the most frazzled of brains. Go treat yourself!!

Room Tip: There only are 4 rooms all looked perfectly clean. We stayed in Lotus Suite which was completely pri...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Andre' and Anthony were amazing hosts who made sure we had everything we needed. Great restaurant recommendations, delicious breakfast every morning, let us watch their DVD collection on our lazy day in and even supplied us with cutlery when we had takeaway! The room was beautiful and clean and they just had soundproof glass doors installed so there was heaps of privacy. The resort is tucked away in the hinterland which is perfect for escaping the hustle and bustle of Port Douglas, but close enough to pop in for food and activities. Could not recommend Mai Tai more - would definitely stay again.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We spent three nights at the Mai Tai resort and just loved it. It's nestled up in the hinterland about a 15 minute drive from Port Douglas. It was perfect for us as we had spent 4 nights down near the beach and then wanted to be closer to Mossman and the Daintree for a few nights. You couldn't ask for warmer and more hospitable hosts than Andre and Anthony (and their gorgeous fur family of Burmese mountain dogs and cats). Andre had great tips for our travels everyday and we basically based our itinerary around his suggestions. The resort is like a very elegant and tastefully decorated B&B, with only 6 rooms and incredible views which you take in over breakfast each morning. The Balinese-inspired decor really makes you feel like you're a world away. Can't recommend Mai Tai enough.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We found the Mai Tai Resort one of the nicest places we have visited in the Mossman Daintree area.
The superior apartment at the top was fantastic, the hosts were extremely friendly and helpful.
Only criticism is that they were so hard to find on Trip Advisor, I believe they should be listed under at least Mossman area, if not Daintree. Port Douglas listing does not do them justice

Room Tip: The big place at the top was special but we looked at the other rooms and loved them too
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

My husband and I were recently at Mai Tai for 4 nights/3 days and totally enjoyed our stay. After taking a bit to find the resort (silly GPS), we pulled up to what I can only describe as Bali in Oz. The view was gorgeous, which the resort itself was in competition with. We were warmly greeted and shown to our luxurious room. Seriously, I had to wait until my husband and I were alone to jump up and down from happiness.

But you don't care how emotional I am, you want the details.

Room:
Amazing. Full four poster bed with extremely comfy mattress and pillows. The decor was beautiful, but not overdone. It was just my husband, me, and three bags, and we had plenty of space once we put the bags in the closet area ( which had plenty of hangers. Such a plus!) There's a tv, small fridge, and tea kettle. There is air conditioning, although we were fine with just the fan. The wi-fi worked great, even when my husband had a work emergency in the middle of the night.

Bathroom:
It was small, but you're not going to Mai Tai for that, are you? It has everything you need. The only complaint I might have is that water from the shower seemed to have no problem splashing out to the floor area near the door, no matter how I positioned the shower head. This wasn't issue for me, but may be irritating to others. Positives, though, were the hand soap (my hands became so soft!) and the toilet paper (not scratchy at all!).

Breakfast:
Basic, but with options. We were offered fresh fruit (lots), a variety of breads for toast, two different cereals, granola/muesli bars, and croissants with jam. All in all, good stuff.

Your hosts:
Two of the nicest people you'll meet. Both Andre and Anthony are friendly and personable. Andre offered really great suggestions from where to eat and what to do on a rainy day (Anthony was out of town during some of our stay). Yes, they do have dogs and cats, but we love animals and were thrilled to see them, especially the puppy and kitten! The animals could be a con for some, but we honestly didn't see them that much. I'm sure if you have allergies or any other issue with dogs and cats, Andre and Anthony would be more than willing to keep them inside. Like I said, though, we rarely saw them.

Location:
Mai Tai is ~15 minutes from Port Douglas. It is in between Woolworths and IGA (~10 minutes from both). We loved being a little outside of everywhere because we really got to enjoy the surroundings. Going to sleep and waking up to the sounds of nature beats hearing traffic and/or people any day.

Would we stay there again? Definitely! We don't relax in the same way most others do, but Mai Tai made it easy for us.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for three nights and we had a great time the owners Andre and Anthony are fantastic hosts.
The resort is nicely decorated and the rooms are very comfortable, It's a little way outside of port douglas but don't let that stop you I booked 3 nights here and 3 nights in port and wished we booked all 6 at Mai tai. Great place.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
hillston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

We have almost competed 7 nights here at the Mai Tai and to be honest would be stoked if we had another 7 !!!
If you are a couple who really wants privacy and an unusual setting then we recommend this for you. No children running around and no busy resort style feel.
It is quite unique in the sense that once we are in our Executive Villa upstairs away from the suites we could almost think we are by ourselves which is exactly what we were looking for.
Just awesome waking up to the view we have here in the Villa. We have wanted for nothing in the Villa, beautifully decked out throughout .
Having our own kitchen has given us the choice to eat in when we haven't felt like driving into Port to go out.
The owners have gone out of their way to ensure a comfortable stay and always keen to recommend activities, restaurants etc
If you decide to stay in the Villa you will not be disappointed .

Room Tip: Executive villa for sure
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Mai Tai Resort? Share your experiences!