“A little gem of a retreat with a great view” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mai Tai Resort

You added Mai Tai Resort to your Saves list
Mai Tai Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lot 78 Rex Range Rd | Cassowary, Port Douglas, Queensland 4877, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 45 Hotels in Port Douglas
London, United Kingdom
“A little gem of a retreat with a great view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for 3 days in Dec. our biggest regret was not staying here longer.
This retreat is circa 10 minutes car drive from port Douglas towards Mossman, on Mt Molly rd. it sits on top of a hill overlooking the rainforest and sea. The view from the breakfast area is just perfect.
There was three lovely dogs and two lovely cats that kept us company, so if you are not an animal lover, you might want to forewarn the hosts.
I use the term hosts because that's how Anthony and Andre treated us .. as their guests. They advised and helped us organise trips to the rainforest and barrier reef and when one of the tour operators cancelled, even took the initiative to book us onto another knowing how badly we wanted to snorkel on the barrier reef. I would be hard pressed to find a fault with their service.

Lunch nor dinner is not served (we checked in very late on our arrival and Andre offered to cook dinner - goes to show how they care about their guests welfare) so pop into Mojo in Mossman on your way)

• Stayed December 2013
maitairesort, Owner at Mai Tai Resort, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Hi Gajan & S - thankyou both for such a wonderful review and we are truly grateful for having met you both. Hope your safely back home in the UK - have a safe New Year - hugs from Anthony & Andre'

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

I liked Anthony. He (and his absent partner) have put together a stunning resort up in the hills above Mosman. It is beautifully styled and would have been blissfully peaceful if Anthony's mother hadn't been in residence for our first couple of nights - she kept her TV on all night at high volume.
When we mentioned this the next morning he charmingly apologised and told us how she drove him mad too!
And this kind of sums up the shortcomings of this delightful bed & breakfast (for it is definitely not a hotel).
As others have mentioned in earlier reviews there is a reluctance or inability to deal with the little things. It really was not our concern that Anthony's mother was difficult. We just wanted to sleep in peace.
Similarly, as my wife mentioned in her review above, when we found flies on the floor that weren't removed for days, Anthony's response was "why couldn't you remove them yourself?"
And where were our fresh croissants & smoothies for breakfast? And why when I mentioned that the TV switched off when you tried to watch DVDs didn't he swap out the TV for a working one (we were the only guests). And why did Anthony not just say yes when we enquired about laundry on a Thursday (instead of asking us to wait for Sunday).
I totally understand that these are all minor gripes but when one is paying around AUS$300 per night can we not expect exceptional service to go with the exceptional place?
Whenever anyone has complained on these pages it is followed by a diatribe and excuses.
He suggested my wife had wanted a second toilet roll after 24 hours - not true, but what if she had. With the money they are making can't they just hand over a toilet roll with good grace? Or clean the room? Or give us croissants instead of plastic wrapped plastic bread? Or a working TV? Or a smoothie instead of crappy bottled mango juice?
Or how about a simple apology and a "we can do better".
Surely you should aspire to be the best?
I waited a couple of weeks to post this review because I didn't want to rant but the little niggles are all coming back to me now...
Anthony, you're a lovely guy. You've put together a stunning place. Don't you want to make it perfect?

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
maitairesort, Manager at Mai Tai Resort, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Hi Richard and many thanks for your review. As stated before to your wife I was really shocked at the response as I really wasn’t expecting this. We were always so chatty all the time and I just don’t understand why she couldn’t have discussed these issues at the time you were here, which would have then avoided going to a forum such as this. Saying she was worried about asking in fear of making her stay intolerable was really over the top – I have not and would never put anyone in this position. Your wife mentioned a DVD not working and now you mention it was the TV not working? I’m confused and honestly don’t remember any of that. As for the flies on the floor I made the bed and cleaned the room up every morning as you know and never saw any flies so again I don’t know where this is coming from. The laundry issue was no big deal if your wife had turned around and said no I would prefer if you could do it today I would have, but you were there and she smiled and stated it’s not a problem and that she only had a few items. When you state “Definitely not a Hotel” again I don’t understand this statement. Nowhere globally do we advertise as a hotel. We advertise as a boutique resort or retreat. The toilet paper issue is just a joke usually there is always spare rolls under the sink. It’s my fault there were not any spares, but I would never humiliate anyone over asking for more toilet paper. Unfortunately it’s all too late now and if I could turn back the clocks I would, but I can’t. As I’ve said before I’m only human and I make mistakes and obviously this is a perfect example, so all I can do is put this to sleep and apologies for any misunderstanding.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

We just spent two nights at Mai Tai Resort but coming back to Melbourne it felt like we'd been there a week. Anthony and Andre are such beautful hosts and the breakfast, outlook and accommodation was stunning! Don't miss the chance to stay at this wonderful place.

Room Tip: The "Orchid Room" with the outdoor shower was a dream!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thankyou so much Lauren for your wonderful review. We had a lot of fun and hope to see you and Brendon back soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Had 7 nights at this excellent establishment on top of the hill in the luxury accommodation. Everything was first class and my business associates that attended meetings there were very impressed. I'd like to thank Anthony for looking after us , nothing was to hard for him. Will be staying here on my next trip on April next year.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Were so pleased you enjoyed your stay at Mai Tai it was an absolute pleasure having you here and hope to see you back again next April.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I stayed at this resort back in October of this year for 4 nights and I definately felt like I was at a resort. Me and my partner were more than happy with the hosts Anthony and Andre they bent over backward to make our holiday an enjoyable experience. The accommodation was first class we stayed on the luxury house on top of the resort, was like staying in a luxury penthouse. Even though it is about 15 minutes by car to port Douglas it was a fantastic scenic drive.i would recommend to anyone. I find the previous negative comment grossly wrong considering this person has never stayed there and am very surprised that trip advisor would allow such a bad report for someone that has not stayed there.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Rachel and thankyou for your kind words. It's great to receive such positive feedback and we hope to welcome you home again someday.
Westbrook, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

We just spent 2 nights at this magical place up in the rain forest outside of Port Douglas. It was really special: quiet, comfortable, kind of idiosyncratic and with a great out door shower. We had just spent 3 nights in the Marina Bay Sands Hotel (Singapore) with what seemed like a million people, 3 nights in Bali with hot and cold running help, and 10 nights on the Orion at sea between Bali and Australia with 96 passengers and 76 crew (I'll post reviews on these soon). That was all wonderful and absolutely different than the Mai Tai Resort with 2 hard-working owners there to meet your needs. We were able to sleep with the doors and windows open (but with screens) and listen to the birds at dawn and the middle of the night rains. We sat out on the totally private garden area in absolute peace. Breakfast out doors was simple, very good, wholesome and peaceful.
I just read the review of a disappointed guest and realized that if we had read that review we might not have stayed here. And that would have definitely been our loss. I guess that the risk you take staying at a very small resort is that if anyone has a rough day, it's going to be apparent. But the upside is that nothing...nothing...beats the very personal feeling and service of a small, well done, owner operated resort like the Mai Tai Resort.
I almost never give 5 stars and I'm not doing that now but only because I think the suite we stayed in could use a little more reading light - on one side of the bed and next to the sofa. Not major.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Orchid Suite and loved it for it's peace, privacy, and out door shower.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
It was an absolute honour to have you both staying with us at Mai Tai. Even though it was such a short stay we loved having you both here and will miss you both dearly. Two wonderful guests with such wonderful spirits. We will take on board your remarks about reading lights. All the best to you both and hugs for Christmas love always Anthony and Andre'
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Reviewing Mai Tai is a little tricky. It is, without doubt, a beautiful hotel in a beautiful setting - something that the owners are justifiably proud of, however this acutely contrasts with the poor and at times reluctant service provided. We only met Anthony (Andre was away), who was unhelpful in an affable way. Examples: I asked for loo roll when we ran out (surely some spares should have been kept in our room?) and instead of an immediate 'yes' I was asked if it was needed now and endured a brief quiz on why I had run out. Humiliating ..... Breakfast was not the anticipated fresh bread and muffins but instead a row of loaves (frozen and then thawed and refrigerated?) in plastic bags next to a toaster accompanied by a slightly meagre shared plate of fruit. When I asked if I could have some clothes laundered the reluctance continued - was it urgent? I was asked. Could it wait until Sunday? Too polite, as with so many things, I immediately said it wasn't needed after all. And that's really the issue....that feeling that Anthony just couldn't be bothered to go to any trouble. He regaled us with stories of other disgruntled (and in his view unreasonable) clients but without really registering that there was validity in what they were saying. Worried that he would make our stay intolerable if we suggested the room be cleaned (2 dead flies on the floor for 5 days), or the DVD player fixed (oh well), we opted to stay quiet. It didn't make us angry - just that the grime and lazy approach was just so disappointing and so avoidable (we are not the only ones to observe this) and in the end prevent this beautiful hideaway being truly fantastic rather than feeling like a bit of a rip-off. Make your own decision......

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
maitairesort, Manager at Mai Tai Resort, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Yes you’re correct we are very proud of our achievements with Mai Tai and of our reputation and providing top service to all guests. We are not like a normal hotel or a hotel employee who have the advantage of leaving and switching off. We actually live, breath and work 365 days 24/7. It’s like having constant visitors and guests that become a part of our extended family. So you can imagine my shock in reading this review. I’m still trying to get my head around this review and questioning myself why. I feel like this is a personal attack against my character. We spoke and laughed each morning at breakfast and I certainly didn’t see any hostility. I guess were all human and yes I make mistakes. In the time you were here a lot had happened such as the septic playing up, air-cons blowing up, my mother who is 86 was with me at the time as you know and I had to rush her to the doctors 3 times, plus Andre’ wasn’t here which didn’t help. I’m not making excuses but perhaps you should put yourself in this situation first before throwing a knife. Thru all of these life experiences we hide our true feelings and emotions and put a smile on our face so hopefully it doesn’t reflect on our guests stay. I’m really not sure what this loo paper is all about. When you asked for toilet paper I simply said oh sorry I thought I only just put one in your room which I had. So obviously after just having septic problems of course I’m going to be concerned (as anyone would be in the same situation) about what is thrown down the toilet. So since you brought this up yes I was concerned that you had used 2 rolls of toilet paper within a 24 hour period, but I’m certainly not aware that I humiliate you regarding this?? I read so many hotel reviews and I can never understand anyone that complains after the fact. If I’m not happy at a hotel I’m staying at I’d always take the issue up with the hotel first and at least give them a chance to redeem themselves. Were all human and we can all forget things. If you had of asked and I said no or I was blatantly rude then that’s reason to complain, but I didn’t and I wasn’t. We were chatty each morning and if breakfast was substantial enough then all you had to do is ask for more, it’s no big deal. Breakfast is always a hard balance as to how much you pile a plate and you would be shocked if you saw how much waste there was. All our breads are kept in the fridge not the freezer so how you figure they were frozen is beyond me. Bread unlike the UK has to be placed in the fridge here because of the weather conditions in the tropics. If you had of asked me this I could have explained this to you. I believe this whole issue is over your washing that I didn’t jump when you expected me to. You told me you only had few items to be washed so I assumed (silly me) that it wasn’t that urgent and I said my next major wash was on Sunday. I wasn’t rude in my attitude towards you at all. Straight away I offered to do this for you free of charge on my main wash day as a favour to save you paying the individual laundry room charges. You said that’s fine, it’s not important - so what am I a mind reader ?. All around the world you see signs please conserve water. This is even more important to Mai Tai as we don’t have the luxury of unlimited town water. We are on tanks and hence try to conserve our water wherever possible. All the other things you state such as flies on the floor and DVD not working is ridiculous. There were no flies on the floor, but even if there were any other person would have picked them up and thrown them outside and not made such an issue out of it. I’ve stayed at many hotels around the world and had the odd dead cockroach or dead fly in my room, but I certainly wouldn’t try to ruin a hotels reputation for this – it’s a fact of life. Saying such things like making your stay intolerable by mentioning the DVD player is totally over the top. We rely and respect all guest feedback and all it needed was a battery change in the DVD control. You’ve achieved your goal with your play on words to over dramatize a situation and in doing so have destroyed my trust,because I believed we got on really well. We are professional and would never humiliate or make any guests stay intolerable especially over such trivial things. I find it rather ironic that another review was posted the same day as yours commending us on our attention and service.

Been to Mai Tai Resort? Share your experiences!