“Fantastic experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mai Tai Resort

You added Mai Tai Resort to your Saves list
Mai Tai Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lot 78 Rex Range Rd | Cassowary, Port Douglas, Queensland 4877, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 45 Hotels in Port Douglas
“Fantastic experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I stayed at this resort back in October of this year for 4 nights and I definately felt like I was at a resort. Me and my partner were more than happy with the hosts Anthony and Andre they bent over backward to make our holiday an enjoyable experience. The accommodation was first class we stayed on the luxury house on top of the resort, was like staying in a luxury penthouse. Even though it is about 15 minutes by car to port Douglas it was a fantastic scenic drive.i would recommend to anyone. I find the previous negative comment grossly wrong considering this person has never stayed there and am very surprised that trip advisor would allow such a bad report for someone that has not stayed there.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
maitairesort, Manager at Mai Tai Resort, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Hi Rachel and thankyou for your kind words. It's great to receive such positive feedback and we hope to welcome you home again someday.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Westbrook, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

We just spent 2 nights at this magical place up in the rain forest outside of Port Douglas. It was really special: quiet, comfortable, kind of idiosyncratic and with a great out door shower. We had just spent 3 nights in the Marina Bay Sands Hotel (Singapore) with what seemed like a million people, 3 nights in Bali with hot and cold running help, and 10 nights on the Orion at sea between Bali and Australia with 96 passengers and 76 crew (I'll post reviews on these soon). That was all wonderful and absolutely different than the Mai Tai Resort with 2 hard-working owners there to meet your needs. We were able to sleep with the doors and windows open (but with screens) and listen to the birds at dawn and the middle of the night rains. We sat out on the totally private garden area in absolute peace. Breakfast out doors was simple, very good, wholesome and peaceful.
I just read the review of a disappointed guest and realized that if we had read that review we might not have stayed here. And that would have definitely been our loss. I guess that the risk you take staying at a very small resort is that if anyone has a rough day, it's going to be apparent. But the upside is that nothing...nothing...beats the very personal feeling and service of a small, well done, owner operated resort like the Mai Tai Resort.
I almost never give 5 stars and I'm not doing that now but only because I think the suite we stayed in could use a little more reading light - on one side of the bed and next to the sofa. Not major.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Orchid Suite and loved it for it's peace, privacy, and out door shower.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
It was an absolute honour to have you both staying with us at Mai Tai. Even though it was such a short stay we loved having you both here and will miss you both dearly. Two wonderful guests with such wonderful spirits. We will take on board your remarks about reading lights. All the best to you both and hugs for Christmas love always Anthony and Andre'
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Reviewing Mai Tai is a little tricky. It is, without doubt, a beautiful hotel in a beautiful setting - something that the owners are justifiably proud of, however this acutely contrasts with the poor and at times reluctant service provided. We only met Anthony (Andre was away), who was unhelpful in an affable way. Examples: I asked for loo roll when we ran out (surely some spares should have been kept in our room?) and instead of an immediate 'yes' I was asked if it was needed now and endured a brief quiz on why I had run out. Humiliating ..... Breakfast was not the anticipated fresh bread and muffins but instead a row of loaves (frozen and then thawed and refrigerated?) in plastic bags next to a toaster accompanied by a slightly meagre shared plate of fruit. When I asked if I could have some clothes laundered the reluctance continued - was it urgent? I was asked. Could it wait until Sunday? Too polite, as with so many things, I immediately said it wasn't needed after all. And that's really the issue....that feeling that Anthony just couldn't be bothered to go to any trouble. He regaled us with stories of other disgruntled (and in his view unreasonable) clients but without really registering that there was validity in what they were saying. Worried that he would make our stay intolerable if we suggested the room be cleaned (2 dead flies on the floor for 5 days), or the DVD player fixed (oh well), we opted to stay quiet. It didn't make us angry - just that the grime and lazy approach was just so disappointing and so avoidable (we are not the only ones to observe this) and in the end prevent this beautiful hideaway being truly fantastic rather than feeling like a bit of a rip-off. Make your own decision......

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
maitairesort, Manager at Mai Tai Resort, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Yes you’re correct we are very proud of our achievements with Mai Tai and of our reputation and providing top service to all guests. We are not like a normal hotel or a hotel employee who have the advantage of leaving and switching off. We actually live, breath and work 365 days 24/7. It’s like having constant visitors and guests that become a part of our extended family. So you can imagine my shock in reading this review. I’m still trying to get my head around this review and questioning myself why. I feel like this is a personal attack against my character. We spoke and laughed each morning at breakfast and I certainly didn’t see any hostility. I guess were all human and yes I make mistakes. In the time you were here a lot had happened such as the septic playing up, air-cons blowing up, my mother who is 86 was with me at the time as you know and I had to rush her to the doctors 3 times, plus Andre’ wasn’t here which didn’t help. I’m not making excuses but perhaps you should put yourself in this situation first before throwing a knife. Thru all of these life experiences we hide our true feelings and emotions and put a smile on our face so hopefully it doesn’t reflect on our guests stay. I’m really not sure what this loo paper is all about. When you asked for toilet paper I simply said oh sorry I thought I only just put one in your room which I had. So obviously after just having septic problems of course I’m going to be concerned (as anyone would be in the same situation) about what is thrown down the toilet. So since you brought this up yes I was concerned that you had used 2 rolls of toilet paper within a 24 hour period, but I’m certainly not aware that I humiliate you regarding this?? I read so many hotel reviews and I can never understand anyone that complains after the fact. If I’m not happy at a hotel I’m staying at I’d always take the issue up with the hotel first and at least give them a chance to redeem themselves. Were all human and we can all forget things. If you had of asked and I said no or I was blatantly rude then that’s reason to complain, but I didn’t and I wasn’t. We were chatty each morning and if breakfast was substantial enough then all you had to do is ask for more, it’s no big deal. Breakfast is always a hard balance as to how much you pile a plate and you would be shocked if you saw how much waste there was. All our breads are kept in the fridge not the freezer so how you figure they were frozen is beyond me. Bread unlike the UK has to be placed in the fridge here because of the weather conditions in the tropics. If you had of asked me this I could have explained this to you. I believe this whole issue is over your washing that I didn’t jump when you expected me to. You told me you only had few items to be washed so I assumed (silly me) that it wasn’t that urgent and I said my next major wash was on Sunday. I wasn’t rude in my attitude towards you at all. Straight away I offered to do this for you free of charge on my main wash day as a favour to save you paying the individual laundry room charges. You said that’s fine, it’s not important - so what am I a mind reader ?. All around the world you see signs please conserve water. This is even more important to Mai Tai as we don’t have the luxury of unlimited town water. We are on tanks and hence try to conserve our water wherever possible. All the other things you state such as flies on the floor and DVD not working is ridiculous. There were no flies on the floor, but even if there were any other person would have picked them up and thrown them outside and not made such an issue out of it. I’ve stayed at many hotels around the world and had the odd dead cockroach or dead fly in my room, but I certainly wouldn’t try to ruin a hotels reputation for this – it’s a fact of life. Saying such things like making your stay intolerable by mentioning the DVD player is totally over the top. We rely and respect all guest feedback and all it needed was a battery change in the DVD control. You’ve achieved your goal with your play on words to over dramatize a situation and in doing so have destroyed my trust,because I believed we got on really well. We are professional and would never humiliate or make any guests stay intolerable especially over such trivial things. I find it rather ironic that another review was posted the same day as yours commending us on our attention and service.
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 5 nights and it has to be, without a doubt the best holiday we've ever had.

The owners Andre and Anthony provided outstanding service and were attentive to our needs. The property is kept extremely clean and tidy, the rooms are beautifully presented in Balinese style and was more than we expected in quality and service.

We had a feeling of seclusion and peace that we've never had at any of the normal resort style accommodation.

Nothing was too hard for our hosts, being very helpful with information about the local area and advising on tours and places to go. Also recommended some great places for dinner in and around Port Douglas. Our hosts, Andre and Anthony were there if we needed anything but left us to enjoy our stay undisturbed.

Daily tropical breakfast on the terrace was beautiful, consisting of tropical fruits, yoghurt, croissants, cereals, juice, tea and coffee topped off with breathtaking views across the valley below was outstanding. The outdoor shower is a nice unique touch, making the stay a little different. It is private and kept clean and tidy. It was just one of the little touches that made our stay stand out from the standard run of the mill resorts. The pool is well maintained and was extremely relaxing lazing on the day bed on the deck listening to the sounds of the tropics.

It is quiet, secluded, relaxing, tranquil, I could go on... We highly recommend this resort to anyone wanting a child free holiday looking to really unwind (we have children too and really appreciated the quiet time here!).

Thank you Andre and Anthony for a brilliant holiday, can't wait to come back again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

My wife Vicki and I have just had the most relaxing and enjoyable holiday ever, thanks to the wonderful hospitality of Andre and the beautiful piece of paradise he and Anthony have so passionately created at the Mai Tai Resort.

After a lot of searching for somewhere very special, as a surprise mystery vacation to celebrate Vicki’s birthday, I eventually stumbling upon the umpteen excellent TripAdvisor reviews for the Mai Tai resort, and then booked the Orchid Suite. We couldn’t have been more thrilled with the outcome. Like so many holidaymakers before us, I was looking for somewhere different to the typical commercial resort. Mai Tai easily ticked all the boxes for us. We stayed 9 nights, but wish we stayed longer.

We love children, but we were so pleased that Mai Tai is an adults only resort so that we could truly relax and enjoy the sounds of the rainforest. We also loved the many unique features that make this resort so special, such as the amazing and authentic Balinese theme throughout, the huge comfy bed and nice pillows, the lovely views from our very private room and courtyard, the romantic outdoor (yet private) shower, the wonderful breakfasts on the terrace with spectacular views, the lovely pool area, and perhaps best of all the outstanding customer service from Andre, one of the owners. (Anthony, the other owner was away at the time of our stay, but was really helpful and patient with my many questions at the time I made the reservation). It’s so true what so many other past reviewers have said: ‘You arrive as guests and leave as friends’. It’s no wonder that Mai Tai has won so many well-deserved awards.

There are just four suites and a separate executive villa here at this resort, so it is so peaceful and secluded. The Orchid Suite is by far the best suite (in our opinion). Apart from the romantic outdoor shower, it has a huge outdoor (yet very private) courtyard and garden area with spectacular distant views. Due to the private location, we didn’t need to draw the curtains, and with the screens and fans preferred most of the time not to use the air conditioner. That way we could be gently woken in the morning with the sounds of the birds in the rainforest, at which point we’d lay on the outdoor lounges for an hour or so before breakfast, enjoying this special time of the day. We also loved lounging in the shade there at other parts of the day too. By the way, there is another suite there with an outdoor shower too, as well as two other suites with the shower inside in case you’d prefer it that way. All have their own lovely outdoor garden patio area.

Every morning Andre prepared the tastiest, healthiest, most interesting and filling ‘light’ breakfasts I think we’ve ever had. On arrival Andre will ask if you have any particular preferences or dietary requirements, and then surprise you. In our case, every morning our ‘light’ breakfast consisted of a glass of juice, a choice of cereals, a platter of about 9 or 10 different types of diced tropical fruits, yoghurt, a warm croissant and roll, and a plunger of tea or coffee. The wonderful terrace setting and views for breakfast helped breakfast time to be a great start to the day. Sometimes we’d get to meet other guests at breakfast time, or if there were just us we’d ask Andre to sit with us for a chat over breakfast. Being pet-lovers, we encouraged Andre to also bring out his lovely, huge, friendly Bernese Swiss Mountain dogs to join us too (as otherwise he tends to keep them indoors in case any of the guests might mind). Andre knows so much about the local tourist attractions and eateries that his knowledge and spot-on recommendations helped to round out our enjoyable stay here. We also found the TripAdvisor reviews for eateries and attractions to be helpful. For lunch we especially enjoyed Ospreys Restaurant at the Thala Beach Lodge (just south of Port Douglas), On the Turps Restaurant at the Heritage Lodge & Spa (in the Daintree) and the Treehouse Restaurant at the Silky Oakes Lodge (in the Mossman Gorge area). Each of these venues had fantastic views, great food, and excellent customer service. Mojos in Mossman was our favourite for dinner, though we did also enjoy dining at Nautilus and Harrisons in Port Douglas too. As a courtesy and to avoid disappointment we recommend making a reservation. Another treat we recommend (despite it being fairly expensive) is the “Flames of the Forest” Aboriginal Heritage culture evening. The illuminated forest setting, fantastic food, interesting story telling, sounds of the didgeridoo, great customer service and meeting other travellers made for a wonderful experience. Of course something involving the reef is a must too, as are self drive day-trips of the region from Kuranda in the south to Cape Trib in the north – but best of all is returning to the Mai Tai after your day’s adventures. You will of course need a car if staying at the Mai Tai, but you will appreciate the freedom a car provides for exploring anyway.

Just a minor little tip, which I learned from Andre: if your skin is a bit sensitive with respect to mozzies etc (which mine is inclined to be), use an aerosol style tropical strength insect repellent rather than a regular roll-on or non-aerosol type spray for better results. (Provided your aerosol cans are capped and declared you can apparently carry them on most domestic flights). Also, coils (lit with a match) are very effective too in the garden courtyard area. Mozzies and various other insects are a part of the tropical environment anywhere in this region – and the great outdoors in general for that matter, but with this simple preventative measure they shouldn’t spoil your amazing holiday here. Don’t forget your sunscreen either, be sure to carry water on your day trips and be careful about where you swim – the pool at the Mai Tai is the best place.

Thank you Andre and Anthony for daring to be different with the paradise you have created here. Thank you too Andre for your wonderful hospitality and friendship. We look forward to meeting you next time Anthony. Now that we have discovered Mai Tai, we hope to have the opportunity to stay there many times in the future, though as more people discover this paradise we’ll need to book well in advance – especially to get the Orchid Suite.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Neil & Vicky what more can I say than two beautiful sole's what an absolute pleasure it was to have you staying here at Mai Tai Resort. It was a delight to wake up each morning and have our chats over breakfast - two beautiful, positive happy people whom I will miss heaps. I'm hoping we will see you both again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

This is a really pretty boutique resort away from the usual hotels, with great views and lush greenery. Be aware some attitude problems that totally ruined it for me!
And they have 3 large dogs hanging around (st Bernard's I think) and a couple of cats- it's a small place so you can't get distance and it wasn't mentioned to us before. I'm not allergic but found the dog smell overwhelming, especially over breakfast. And the cats found their way into our room sometimes- I usually love animals!
We had to actively ask for toilet roll to be replaced each time, and they would sigh and give us one roll. they kept re-arranging our things and towels etc when we asked them not to, and then had a go at us for not folding our towels neatly on the hand rail?! They also 'told us off' for leaving a lamp on, and other petty things.
Me and my friend felt patronised by them, and they commented and judged us quite a bit. I noticed they treated couples with more respect and didn't comment or judge them in the same way.
I also got really sick whilst I was there with gastro, and they we're very unhelpful and flippant, making a joke about how weak I was after I fainted.the usual banter is one thing but these guys were not putting their customer service skills into practise!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Stayed here with my partner for 3 nights! This resort is truly unique in every way, right from the friendly host, to the rooms, pool and the views over breakfast.

Andre is the most gracious host tending to your every need. He welcomes you personally and gets to know each and every guest. This personal service allows him to recommend activities suited specifically for you such as which reef cruise to take or rainforest trip to do.

The rooms are beautifully appointed with the best furnishings. There is attention to detail in everything. The 4 post beds are just luxury.

The pool area is special, we had the pool to ourselves on each visit. The views are stunning and there are plenty of sun loungers and even a cabana to relax in.

The breakfast with fresh fruit, bread, croissants etc... is excellent not to mention the breathtaking view while you are eating.

If you want to get away from it all in a peaceful and tranquil setting, would thoroughly recommend! Way better than any of the big resorts! Can't wait to come back!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mai Tai Resort? Share your experiences!