“A very different 5* hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Peninsula Boutique Hotel

You added Peninsula Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
Peninsula Boutique Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9 - 13 The Esplanade, Port Douglas, Queensland 4871, Australia   |
Special Price
15% off room rate
Ranked #8 of 45 Hotels in Port Douglas
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
“A very different 5* hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

Our stay in Port Douglas to see the Great Barrier Reef is part of a larger holiday. We stayed for 5 days. This is a 5* hotel according to the official rating with a matching price. We have found Australia very expensive and they charge you for every little thing. Even at Sydney airport you pay 4$Au for the trolley which you can only take about 100 metres to the check in desk. The 4$ is not refunded as in the UK.
I was worried about coming here after seeing some of the reports by others who had really hated the place. We have been staying in some beautiful 5* hotels and so this boutique hotel could have been disastrous. However the hotel is just across from a very quiet road from the beach. Port Douglas is a very quiet place with only 2,000 inhabitants but the tourists swell the numbers. It is the best place to stay for the reef, rainforest and croc hunting in the rivers. There are many different species of colourful birds flying around which is wonderful.
It is very different to any other 5* hotel I have ever stayed in. If you usually stay in large 5* hotels which are plush then this is not the place for you. There is a Sheraton further out of town. This boutique hotel is very small - I think 36 suites. It is clean on the whole though our room was not swept or washed on our second day. The used glasses were not washed up but put in the dishwasher. It is all a bit DIY. The decor is 1970's with louvre doors, cane furniture and glass topped tables but that is its style. The walls are not chipped or marked and it is in a good state of repair. The bed linen is spotless and the bed is comfortable but there is no choice of pillow types and I struggled with the non feather pillow. Yes the sail awning over the beach side entrance is dirty but then it is right on the beach and would be a nightmare to keep clean in this heat and humidity. It would need to be changed every week to be clean. The suites are on different levels each leading out to a large verandah and then into a small communal area with either a hot tub or pool. Each suite has a bedroom separated by louvre doors and a sitting room with small kitchenette. There is a flat screen TV with a dvd player. The hotel has dvd's (no charge!) and loads of books to read. There is a DIY washing machine with detergent and dryers on each floor which is a real help when you are on a long holiday - I caught up with the washing and ironing.
Breakfast is adequate with hot and cold food - all help yourself and you even make your own tea. I prefer to be served. They cleared the tables quickly which is better than some of the 5* hotels we have been staying in. You can order a different cooked breakfast if you want to but we were not told about this. I just asked for an omlette and got it. The food and service in the Hi Tide restaurant is good .
The staff are very efficient at booking any tours you want to go on. We compared the great barrier reef tours and found Poseidon to be the best. The cost for a day on the reef is around 200$Au per person There is an internet station which you pay for. If you bring your own computer then WIFI is expensive at 50$Au for a week which works out cheaper than doing it daily if you are here for more than 4 days. We have always had complimentary wifi in every 5* or even 4* hotel we have stayed in. The hotel is very quiet apart from the door banging into the rooms which resounds due to the bare corridors. I would recommend this hotel so long as you know it is very different from standard chain 5* hotels.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

We stayed 5 nights at the Peninsula Boutique after much research on TA. We got an internet rate of about $350/night. We were very happy with this hotel and feel it has a lot to offer over more expensive, larger resort type hotels in Port Douglas. Our room had a a fully outfitted efficiency kitchen, dining table, living room with flat screen TV with DVD palyer, king bed, bathroom with shower and separate whirlpool tub, and private deck with view of the ocean across the street. Some have complained about the inadequate "ocean" view, but the street did not bother me. The furnishings are not fancy but comfortable and clean. There was an included full, delicious buffet breakfast served at the pool. Also included were free laundry facilities (including detergent!) and transfer to and from the airport. They also had an extensive DVD collection to watch movies and reasonable wifi internet rates. We were just one block from all of the shops and restaurants on Maccrossin Street and across a little used street from Four Mile Beach. I felf this was a big advantage to the large resorts that required a shuttle to get into town. We ate dinner at the hotel restaurant one night (OK), but otherwise we had our choice of restraurants in town. The owners are there and helpful. They booked a couple of tours for us. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

I booked the Peninsula for Oct/1-10 for the start of my honeymoon. I had read about it on TripAdvisor and actually cancelled a reservation elsewhere to make a booking here. What a disappointment. Other than the location and no children policy, there is not much else that sets this hotel apart. It's certainly not a 4.5 star in any way, shape or form. I booked their Honeymoon package at $455AUD/night with some extras thrown in like tours etc. We did get the airport pickup in the upgraded sedan which was nice, and there was a bottle of sparkling wine in the fridge when we arrived, as well the hotel brought up some canapes. All very nice.
But the sunset cruise promised on the hotel website was not what was delivered and the massages never happened either. Plus in all honesty I don't think we were give the Coral Suite as our room seemed rather small.
We also used the hotel to book other excursions and some went off okay but they did provide us with the wrong departure time for a dive trip to the reef so when we arrived at the Marina our boat had already left. I managed to get the tour company to get us onto another departure but this one when to the pontoon (operated by QuickSilver) and that's exactly what we wanted to avoid. So our one trip to the reef wasn't ideal and the hotel didn't even apologize for the mixup.
So for a weekend trip to Port Douglas I'd say stay here. Any longer than 3 days and you're wasting your money. Being close to the beach is nice but really there are other hotels nearby that offer the same thing. So be happy and walk an extra 50 feet to the beach. You'll be glad you did.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Peninsula in Port Douglas for part of our honeymoon in Australia. Port Douglas is a lovely place without the hustle and bustle of Cairns and the hotel is a stone's throw from the beach (lieterally!). Our room over looked the beach and had a little balcony on which we could sit and have a coffee or a cool drink while watching the waves.

The staff were very helpful and the food was very good (we ate in on a couple of our 6 days there). Internet was available with a lead at a reasonable cost. The rooms have an aprtment feel to them with living/kitchen area, bedroom and bathroom with walk in shower. Some reviews have said the way the bathroom opens out onto the bedroom is a problem but we found it to be fine. There was free parking for our hire car.

The pool was fairly quiet (although we were there in June). Breakfast and dinner was served around the pool area which was very relaxing. We would highly recommend thi hotel - we also would recommend contacting the hotel direct as that way we got a very good deal for the Aussie winter (almost half the advertised price!).

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

My husband and I enjoyed 10 days at this small, relaxing hotel across the road from 4 Mile Beach. Our Oceanview room was very comfortable and well appointed with a kitchenette, spa, king size bed and good size balcony. Breakfast by the pool each morning was lovely and because of the no children policy it was always peaceful and quiet. This was expecially nice when enjoying a sunset cocktail by the pool. The staff and management were very friendly and helpful and we came away feelng very rested. The ony negative was that the room rates are a bit high but we would still go back tomorrow.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Bristol
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

I travel for holidays 6 or 7 times per year, flying first or business class and stay in 5 star hotels around the world. In my experience the Peninsula is not a 4 or 5 star hotel. It is 3 star at best. I had booked into the hotel for three nights. After being there four hours I asked my travel agent to move me to a different hotel. This is the first time I have ever posted a negative review on TripAdvisor.

Before anyone books a room at the hotel, please look at the pictures I have uploaded. One shows that the view from the “Ocanview Suite” that I stayed in was actually of a fairly busy road, with grass and trees the other side, and the ocean could just about be seen between the trees.

The hotels web site states that the restaurant (really a cafe) “looks directly out over the Coral Sea”. One of the pictures shows that the view is of the road, then a bit of grass and the trees, with glimpses of water.

Another picture shows a very dirty “Welcome” mat slung over some sign at the entrance to the so-called restaurant. Another shows a dirty, or perhaps mouldy, sail or awning above the eating area. That is not how 4 or 5 star hotels are presented.

On their web site it is described as a 4.5 star “Boutique” hotel. It is not that. It is more of a guest house or bed and breakfast establishment with a small pool and cafe attached.

The rooms/suites are off concrete-walled hallways that only have a thin carpet to absorb sound. The automatic door closer mechanism on the entry door to each room is highly sprung. When people enter of leave their rooms the doors bang loudly. This means that there’s a loud bang every 20 or 30 minutes that can be clearly heard in every other room on the same floor.

The reception desk and bar area look as though they come directly from a bed and breakfast place from the 1960s.

Then there’s the service in the restaurant. I drank a few beers and then asked to see the menu. The restaurant menu located in the room was pretty comprehensive, but instead I was offered a single sheet of A4 paper with 5 items on it. It seems that on a Sunday, a limited menu applies. I asked for a fish dish and the wine list from a waitress who seemed experienced, although very casual and unprofessional for a waitress in a 4/5 star establishment. Within 5 minutes the meal appeared, but no wine list. Any waitress with a minimal amount of training should have realised that I would like some wine with the meal, not after it. While the fish actually tasted really nice, it was delivered at McDonald’s speed, so must have been pre-prepared. I had to ask a new, inexperienced waitress for the wine list, again. It eventually arrived at the time I was finishing the meal. I had two of three glasses of wine and left the remainder. When the experienced waitress brought the bill, I told her that for the first time in my life I was not going to leave a gratuity since she had ignored my request for a wine list. She replied that she was “busy training”. I commented that the meal had arrived in an amazingly short time and she replied, “Well, it’s Sunday, so it’s all pre-prepared”.

At that point I left the restaurant, thanked the chef for the nice fish and found the hotel managers. I made very clear my disappointment at being served a pre-prepared meal in such an inefficient manner and stated that the standards of the hotel were not 4.5 star in any way. I was offered platitudes but nothing constructive. At that point I went to my room and contacted my travel agent in the UK, asking that they move me to a better hotel, which they arranged with amazing speed.

The following morning at about 9.15am the female owner/manager knocked on my door and told me that, following our conversation of the previous evening, she wanted me to leave the hotel. I replied that I would be out of there in one hour, my travel agent already having arranged an early check-in at a proper 5 star hotel locally. I realise that she asked me to leave to try to save face, since she had already been informed by my travel agent that I was moving to a different hotel that morning.

If anyone reading this review makes the mistake of staying at the Peninsula, you’ve better not complain about anything or they may well ask you to leave, as well.

The driver who transferred me to the 5 star Sea Temple (now that is a fantastic hotel) in Port Douglas told me that he has heard the female owner/manager asking departing guests to put positive reviews on TripAdvisor. Now, you have to be pretty desperate to have to ask guests to post reviews.

In summary – go there expecting a 2 star hotel and you will be pleasantly surprised. Go there expecting a 4.5 star hotel and you will be extremely disappointed. There are far, far better hotels in Port Douglas.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

I stayed for 5 days in late July and had a lovely, relaxing time. The staff were very friendly - which is nice when you're on your own - and the service was excellent.
My room was a 'pool view'; spacious with a large balcony which had direct access to the hot tub. The hotel is just across the road from the spectacular 4-mile beach and at the quieter end of Macrosan Street but within 2 minutes of the bustling centre with its bars, shops and restaurants.
The food .was excellent, with an extensive buffet breakfast and a relaxed cafe/restaurant for lunch/ dinner.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Been to Peninsula Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!