“Terrible Customer Service - Nice pool” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort to your Saves list
Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Port Douglas Road | PO Box 172, Port Douglas, Queensland 4877, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
Stay Longer and Save More
Ranked #32 of 45 Hotels in Port Douglas
Sydney
“Terrible Customer Service - Nice pool”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We arrived in Cairns at 9:00am in the morning and were aware of the 3pm check-in time at the hotel. I had called the hotel the day before to organise an early check-in and advise that we would be using an SPG room upgrade voucher so they wouldn't allocate the wrong room type. I was told that although not guaranteed, she "didn't see a problem with the early check-in". On arrival at Cairns airport, I again phoned the hotel & asked if the early check-in was possible. The "guest relations" member told me that our room wasn't ready at this stage, but wouldn't be too long. I questioned if there was a note that we were using an upgrade voucher, and she said that hadn't been noted. I asked if the upgraded room would be ready and was again told that it should be ready by our arrival. We continued on to Port Douglas, expecting our room to be ready on arrival being an hour away.

We arrived at reception at about 10:30am. Helena on reception just said, "Your rooms not ready." I asked if that was the upgraded room and a look of confusion followed, and then she muttered something about it being the king room. I showed her the upgrade voucher, and obviously she had no clue so she eventually got "the manager" James. He showed her how to allocate an upgraded room which was availbale, however was also not ready. When asked how long it would take to clean the room, we were told "Not too long." Apparently this should be translated to "forever and a day".

About an hour later we returned to reception to enquire about the progress of the cleaning. The cleaners were contacted and they advised it had not started yet. We were given 2 complimentary drink vouchers and sent on our way. Another hour later we returned, wondering why it takes so long to clean a room. Reception again contacted the cleaners who again said, "We haven't started". What a joke - who runs this place - the cleaning staff? The cleaners advised it would be another hour and half...it was now 1pm and we had wasted 2 an half hours actually believing "not too long". James who is apparently the manager, although I doubt it told us that there was absolutley not another room available. This was laughable as we had walked the grounds and sat in the lobby, sighting possibly 10 other people at the most! They kept giving us some excuse about 90 people checking in....ummm big deal?? So off we went into Port Douglas for some lunch...in our trackies...in 27 degree heat.

Some common sense should have prevailed in this situation and they could have allocated us a room that had been cleaned - unless they want us to believe every single room is ready at exactly the same time?!!

As for the "upgrade"...a room overlooking the carpark - nice. So people - when staying at this resort, do not expect an early check-in. Do not expect the rooms to be any better than 3 star - and if the time it takes to clean a room in this place is anything to go by, don't expect the elusive major upgrade to the resort any time soon.

The grounds itself are nice - great pool. There are some beautiful resorts at Port Douglas if you're looking for something that is actually 4-5 star. Peppers, Q1, Ramada, Coconut Grove all look amazing.

We had a great time in Port Douglas, it was just an unfortunate & avoidable start to our long weekend break.

Room Tip: Stay in a lagoon view room if possible
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
SMPDPR, Lachlan Walker, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear knightyandkate

Thank you for reviewing our resort on Tripadvisor and disappointed to learn that your check in was less than satisfactory on your recent stay. We do appreciate your kind feedback on our sleep quality and the lagoon pools. As your review remains anonymous we are unsure of the specific date you stayed, though we assume from your review and in speaking with James it was the June long weekend where the resort ran at full occupancy. This certainly made it difficult for an early check in with your room request and upgrade certificate. I have spoken with James our Manager on Duty and would welcome you to contact us directly via the above email hotel link to enable us to clarify the incident and also re explain the reason why we could not assist with the specific room type you had requested for the upgrade and early check in and the resulting delays. I understand in speaking with the team that they endeavoured to assist you as much as possible and James spoke with attempting to explain the limited inventory avalaible at the time. As the resort was running at full occupancy there is a number of factors such as specifically requested room types, guarranteed views, king and twin rooms and interconnecting that have been guaranteed to our guests at time of reservation. I do apologise for any inconvenience here.

Knightyandkate once again thank you for your feedback.

Best Regards

Lachlan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Polish first
Torquay, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Others are way to critical of this beautiful place. We don't have children but it is such a great place for families. The rooms are clean and spacious, there are pools EVERYWHERE and the staff are lovely. The food prices are quite high but you have to expect that in a resort. You can walk into town along the beach in 20mins or catch a shuttle that goes every half hour for $9 per person return. There are so many huge pools that you can often get one all to yourself- it really is beautiful so don't listen to all the closed minded stuck up ppl who just complain because they have nothing better to do!

Room Tip: We staying in a superior lagoon room and it was nice and big for the two of us.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
SMPDPR, EAM Operations at Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear MJVDP9,

Thank you for passing on your personal views from your recent stay here at the Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas.

We do appreciate you raising the positive aspects of your stay; the resort being beautiful, the cleanliness & size of your room, our many swimming pools as well as the staff around the hotel being very helpful & friendly, very much valued; thank you.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards,
Robert De Carlo
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed here even after reading the poor reviews and loved it. It is very dated, however is 80's grandeur and you could only imagine the rich and famous staying here in its hay day.
Booked early and got buffet breakfast included for free which was a great way to start the day.
We had a premier lagoon room, which was on the second level, very quiet and a great big comfortable king size bed.
Getting in and out of the PD CBD is only 5 min by shuttle bus that is out the front of the hotel every 30 min.
The lagoons were excellent and we utilised the swim up bar.
They are a bit short on staff, having only one person working the bar for about the 30 guest that were floating around the pool.
Wish we could have stayed there longer but only booked 3 nights and did day trips out to the reef, Mossman gorge and Hartley crocodile farm.
The night life in PD is a lot of fun.

Will definitely stay here again if in Port Douglas again

Room Tip: Lagoon view is the way to go. We stayed second level as the rooms were bigger.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SMPDPR, Lachlan Walker, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Buckets09

Warm greetings from the Sheraton Mirage!

It was a pleasure to read your review and to learn that you found that the reviews were not what they all seem. I am pleased you had a wonderful and memorable stay with us. The team appreciate your recommendation of our resort and that you enjoyed the facilities.

I do hope that your enjoyable time with us will bring you and you back in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We have stayed here many,many times and still think it is beautiful. Yes, the rooms are outdated but the pools and gardens are the best we have ever seen anywhere. The rooms are always clean and housekeeping staff are excellent. The rooms are large, quiet and peaceful. The whole resort is tranquil and the position right on 4 Mile Beach is hard to beat. Room rates have come down a lot to compensate for the need to update. We've found the staff very obliging and friendly. The Lagoons buffet is very expensive but there are plenty of restaurants in Port Douglas. We did not dine in Il Pescatore this time but the prices seemed similar to most of the restaurants in Port Douglas. The breakfast buffet is amazing and I can't imagine anyone complaining about it. All in all, I still think it is the nicest place to stay in Port Douglas and we will definitely return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
SMPDPR, Lachlan Walker, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Dear Travelmarg

Thank you for your wonderful review of our resort. As a valued returning guest we appreciate you sharing your experience with us. We are thrilled to read and share your comments with our entire team.

Travelmarg , thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I really think people are a bit too hard on this resort. Yes, the decor is a little faded and out of date. But the gardens and the pool area are absolutely stunning - still the best in Port Douglas in my view. We had no problems with the service at all, and thought that the room rates and food prices were quite competitively priced. The food in La Pescatora was yummy and not all that expensive compared to prices elsewhere. My room was perfectly clean. I regard myself as quite a fussy traveller, and I really had a ball, and am planning to return in August. So, the carpet has pictures of starfish on it. Its kind of cute in a retro 80's way!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear MelbourneGemini

Warmest greetings from the Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort.

It was a pleasure to read your positive impressions of our resort and we are delighted that you had a wonderful stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards,

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

My partner and I had visited the Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas back in 2004 as part of a work conference, we had a great time however I did note that the decor was quite old back then. I was a little reluctant when my husband suggested we go back to the Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas for our honeymoon, I agreed in the end and we booked and paid for 5 nights. I have to say I'm less than impressed with this place the decor is exactly the same as 9 years ago, it looks very tired and old. I would more positives things to say about this place if the Service was excellent but sadly it was pretty bad, upon check in we were told by one of the concierge 'not' to bother playing golf here as the course is in terrible condition. Wish we had known this before we booked as my husband is a keen golfer and for this reason is partly why we booked to stay here. This place is not 5 star, I can say that 15-25 years ago this place would have been beautiful but if the hotel is not willing to update the resort then they should not expect top dollar from customers. There were a few small things such as having to contact the bartender 3 times to get a drink, ordering in room dining and receiving the wrong meal ect.. I would be more understanding if this place was busy and the staff run off their feet but there is hardly anyone in the resort!! I would have thought us both being on our honeymoon that we would have been given a room closer to the pools but we were tucked far away right down the back of the resort and considering we booked and paid for it all 3mths earlier. The plus side to this place is the pool and gardens its stunning. But I have to say never again I've stayed in plenty of 5 star resorts unfortunately this place is fading just as quickly as its decor. I won't ever stay here again unless its gets a major overhaul. You want top dollar then I expect top service.

• Stayed May 2013
SMPDPR, Lachlan Walker, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Sunlines1

Thank you for your review and Congratulations!

We are sorry to learn now after your stay of this feedback; whilst we note your comments it was kind of you to mention our grounds and pools and pleased this was a highlight. As your review remains anonymous it is difficult to look at your specific reservation details. I am very sorry you were unhappy with your room allocation, this is something can be easily corrected and we would have be happy to relocate you should you have come to one of the team. As you would have read with other responses we are finalising our renovation at present.

Sunlines 1, we apologies for the lapses in service and regret that your stay was not as planned. We do wish you all the best.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel, good location but terrible service for what you pay for. The bathroom is the same maybe from 1970's with old appliances, awful cleaning service and bed sheets smaller than the mattress. Wouldn't go back there!

• Stayed May 2013
SMPDPR, EAM Operations at Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear SeBaSil,

Thank you for passing on your comments with regards your recent stay. Our apologise that your overall experience was not entirely a positive one.

Your comments are valued and will be discussed amongst the team here at the resort. The resort’s Owners are in the process of finalising a full refurbishment plan which is a very exciting time for all the staff here. Recent completed projects have included an upgrade of the movie and WIFI systems, new Sheraton “Sweet Sleeper” beds in all rooms and new lounges around the lagoon pools. Work on the façade of the building is due to commence in the upcoming weeks.

I trust that we can look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future – in the interim if we can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to reach out.

Kind Regards,
Robert De Carlo

Been to Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort? Share your experiences!