“Great value resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort

You added Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort to your Saves list
Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Port Douglas Road, Port Douglas, Queensland 4877, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #32 of 45 Hotels in Port Douglas
Auckland
“Great value resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

The rooms are spacious and spotlessly clean. And for the price we paid , reflect good value. Overall we enjoyed our stay on both occasions . Just a couple of things to look out for, and as has been mentioned in management feedbacks, the resort would appear to undergoing a modernization, but currently the old beds are somewhat soft, the pillows are old and the general decor is showing its age, although I must stress spotlessly clean. The cost of food and beverage is quite high and would recommend experiencing the great selection of Restuarants in town . Ideally you would either have your own vehicle or plan to spend most of your time in the resort , which , if you are after a relaxing tropical holiday by the pool, you are in the right place, as the grounds and huge lagoon pool ( more like a small sea really) are just the ticket. Overall a great stay, and with future upgrade plans taking shape, this property will no doubt get better.

• Stayed December 2012
SMPDPR, Lachlan Walker, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Dear traveller19701

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort and so pleased you found the resort great value. It was very kind of you to raise our high cleaning standards and the rooms being spacious. We have just replaced all our beds to the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper style.

We do note your feedback on the costs particularly coming from New Zealand with the high dollar compared to the NZ dollar; our prices are in line with other restaurant and upmarket cafes in Port Douglas and Australia and we competitively shop regularly to ensure of this. Due to our location food prices are more expensive due to freight amongst other reasons. When dining at Sheraton you also are overlooking 147 hectares of tropical gardens and 14 lagoon swimming pools all needing to be maintained. There is also many ways to reduce your cost when staying with us such as the Mirage Dining Passport, the simple Quick Bites menu available in room service (Pizza and other items served simply and take away style), packages that include breakfast or credits and SPG benefits and Star Privilege membership.

Traveller19701, perhaps for your next visit you could click on the above hotel deals or email hotel as we’d be very happy to tailor a package for you that includes food and beverage to ensure further value during your stay.

Warm regards

Lachlan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Polish first
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights and had a great time - nice hotel - good breakfast and very nice and clean rooms. i loved the fact that the entire hotel was connected by the lagoons. if the hotel was refurbished it would look a lot nicer - looks like a hotel stuck in the 70s, but that was not a problem for us at all.
staff was nice enough. overall good place to stay - no complaints as such.
point to note - it is not in port douglas main city, it is a 10 minute shuttle ride, but that goes every half an hour so connectivity is no problem at all.

Room Tip: Choose the Lagoon view rooms - they are nicer and have a blacony
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SMPDPR, Lachlan Walker, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Nirbhay K

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort, and your kind comments.

We are pleased you enjoyed the breakfast, spacious and clean rooms and of course our renowned lagoon pools and do value this.

Nirbhay K, I note your comments on a refurbishment and you'll be pleased to know we are underway with our new owners on the refurbishment plans for the resorts future and have completed a prototype façade in a modern colour scheme, some structural changes with terrace and or balcony area and now working on a truly beautiful, timeless and luxurious prototype rooms perfect for the future. As this is a vast resort nestled between two world heritage sites located on 145 hectares of land with 294 guest rooms the project is immense and requires careful planning with environmental considerations and orchestration due to our remote location amongst other factors. In the meantime the resort is upgrading all our beds to the renowned Sheraton Sweet Sleepers, new oversized Flat Screen Televisions, iPod docking stations, wireless and movie system, new pool furniture amongst other upgrades to ensure your continued comfort. Our ongoing repair and maintenance program around the resort will some work on the façade and planter window boxes and carpet replacements in the interim.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and please reach out to us via the above email hotel link when planning your next trip from India as Annie Grant, our Guest Services Manager will be delighted to assist with your reservation personally.

Alternatively you could click on the above hotel deals icon / link as the best available rates and specials will always be found directly here at the Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas website or via our helpful reservations team.

All the best for the upcoming Festive Season

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We go on one holiday a year and now, cutting our cloth to suit our means, restrict ourselves to Australia.

Unfortunately this trip did not go well and, initially, was rating a 0 out of 10 – But later there were a lot of good points that raised the rating to a 5 out of 10

The bad points were: -

My wife got food poisoning on the first night and woke me at 2am saying she may need an ambulance – We both stayed up all night and in the morning went to town to see a doctor not realising we should have an appointment.

We got into a doctor after a few hours to get the diagnosis and were told to restrict our diet to vegetables and water for the day.

That night we were told the normal restaurant was not open but there was a buffet for either $79 or $45 – We opted for the latter and both had salad with tea and a cocktail for myself. – We always gave a tip of at least 5% on the meals so what looked like a bill 0f $79 was updated by me to $85 – Then I realised that $45 x 2 came to $90 and asked the waiter to change it to $95 – He referred it to another waiter who took my name and assured me he would fix it.

A day or so later I checked my account and saw I was charged $170 odd for the meal – I questioned this at the reception and the girl told me the buffet is always $79 not $45.

The next time we went to the dining room it was again a buffet and again we were told that there was a $45 alternative provided we did not have seafood – However I also found out there was a “by the card” menu and we opted for that from then on.

After all the above I was wary and the day before checking out went through the mini bar checking every item had been replaced and that the charges were correct which they were – On check out day we each had a Jatz biscuit and cheese and I told the reception this when I checked out – Nevertheless a day or so after return there was an email saying a further $10 odd had been charged to my card for mini bar items

The strange thing about all this is that I was asked for my feedback from Starwood (the holding Company for Sheraton) they stated: - “This survey should take about 10 minutes. Thank you for your time and input. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back to a Starwood hotel or resort in the near future. “

I sent all the above details to them and to Lachlan Walker (the General Manager of the Sheraton Mirage)

I received no reply from either Starwood or Mr Walker

So ends the bad part – Now the good part: -

I had researched the Mirage well before arranging the trip and from what I read, and remembering the TV advertisements leading up to it’s opening (I’m 73) I was expecting a run down Vegas style resort – The place was nothing like I had read led me to expect – Either there had been an huge amount of work done just before we got there or the reviewers who wrote those comments (in Trip advisor) had unreal expectations – I found the place in excellent condition and very tastefully presented. In fact I’d rate the reception area it at least equal to the Mandarin Oriental in Singapore – there was no “shabby carpet” and, from what I saw, the whole place was very well maintained – Our room was large and quiet and very comfortable – The pool areas were great and all the staff we encountered were very pleasant.

The breakfasts were absolutely fabulous – Better than the Casino at Townsville

Initially I was appalled there was no effective taxi service (I was told there was only one taxi) But I found the half hourly mini bus service really cheap and a great service

The doctor who saw my wife was the most thorough she has seen and spent well over 30 minutes with her and then, on discovering we are pensioners, waived the $70 odd bill.

The attractions around the area are great – We especially enjoyed the cable ride and the wildlife attraction However I must admit the main reason for wanting to go back to Port Douglas was to sit in the Mango Jam Café where I had breakfast every morning on my last trips - and have a drink or three – This I did and it really rounded off the holiday really nicely

Room Tip: If you have trouble climbing stairs be wary - From our room to the dining room there were 96 stairs...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear tired-old-dog

Thank you for taking the time to further pass on feedback on your stay earlier in November. Further to our previous correspondence emailed to you we certainly appreciated your comment and always see feedback as a gift.

We are pleased you found the resort to be in excellent condition and well maintained and thank you for acknowledging this. Our breakfast is well known as is our spacious and clean rooms and we appreciate your feedback. There is a small taxi business here in Port Douglas, given the reduced population and seasonal town of Port Douglas, there are though regular shuttles and also private cars available for transfers. However, as raised in my previous correspondence to you we were very concerned to read your feedback and apologise for any inconvenience or distress caused; the team have addressed this. A response was sent to you from your survey and correspondence to us, we do pride ourselves in our prompt answering of all guest feedback so we'll re send the original to you and once again and do regret your had not received the original letter. I would also like to clarify to our readers that your wife's illness did not relate to the resort's dining.

Tired-old-dog, you'll be pleased to know we are underway with our new owners on the refurbishment plans for the future and have completed a prototype façade in a modern colour scheme, some structural changes with terrace and or balcony area and now working on a truly beautiful, timeless and luxurious prototype rooms perfect for the future. As this is a vast resort nestled between two world heritage sites located on 145 hectares of land with 294 guest rooms the project is immense and requires careful planning with environmental considerations and orchestration due to our remote location amongst other factors. In the meantime the resort is upgrading all our beds to the renowned Sheraton Sweet Sleepers, new oversized Flat Screen Televisions, iPod docking stations, wireless and movie system, new pool furniture amongst other upgrades to ensure your continued comfort. Our ongoing repair and maintenance program around the resort will some work on the façade and planter window boxes and carpet replacements in the interim.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and please reach out to us via the above email hotel link when planning your next trip as Annie Grant, our Guest Services Manager will be delighted to assist you personally with your reservations.

We wish you both the best for the upcoming Festive Season

Warm regards

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at Hayman Island a year ago before coming to this place. When choosing this place we noticed that the pools reminded us of Hayman Island. But after booking we saw these reviews. Now don't get me wrong... The bathrooms could use some attention. We stayed in a Mirage Garden Deluxe room and everything was the best except the bathroom. The layout is nice but some taps and sinks and the spas could be re-newed. And the elevators. But What on earth are people meaning with terrible service?? They must just not be happy people. We found the staff great! They were very helpful offering us a lift if we wanted it or having a conversation with you. Very friendly. Ultra friendly!! The staff are great help except for one of the staff at the bar by the pool. A bit blunt and gave off alot of negative energy. But maybe he was just having a bad day. Special thanks to the others making me drinks at the pool bar. It's good to see staff putting a smile on your face and looking after you with whatever you need. I am posting latest pics of Sheraton Mirage and the natural beauty this place offers. The breakfast was delicious. The restaurant was about a 3/5. I like to leave a meal full. This place I was quite hungry leaving. However.. When this place does get reno'd... It's definitely going to be a Rival for Hayman Island. Beautiful place and planning on coming back.

• Stayed December 2012
SMPDPR, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear JeronBrentyn

Thank you for the Tripadvisor review for the Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas. . I’m pleased to read you’ve enjoyed your stay with us, noting the associates and food service in particular. We’ll follow up on the Pool Bar associate to and thank you for mentioning this.

You”ll be pleased to know we are underway with our new owners on the refurbishment plans for the resort and have completed a prototype façade in a new colour scheme, some structural changes with terrace and or balcony area and now working on a truly beautiful, timeless and luxurious prototype rooms for the future. As this is a vast resort nestled between two world heritage sites located on 145 hectares of land the project is vast and requires careful planning and orchestration due to our remote location amongst other factors. In the meantime the resort is upgrading all our beds to the renowned Sheraton Sweet Sleepers, new oversized Flat Screen Televisions, iPod docking stations, wireless and movie system, new pool furniture amongst other upgrades to ensure your continued comfort. Our ongoing repair and maintenance program around the resort will some work on the façade and planter window boxes and carpet replacements in the interim.

JeronBrentyn , Thank you for sharing your kind thoughts and please reach out to us via the above email hotel link when planning your next trip as Sharon or Annie Grant, Guest Services Manager will be delighted to assist with your reservation. Alternatively do click on the above hotel deals icon / link as the best available rates and specials will always be found directly here at the Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas website and via our reservations team.

All the best for the upcoming Festive period

Regards

Lachlan Walker
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We decided to stay up at Port as we often play golf up there and thought it would be nice to stay overnight and have a mini break. The staff were all mostly very friendly and helpful.

The only downside was the Shuttle service which is supposed to run every half hour - it is not free either. We waited near on an hour and eventually caught a taxi (very few and far between). We waited from 7.25 at the bus stop and when one eventually appeared, the driver waived a sign at me saying 'out of town' or something like that- I hailed the bus and questioned if he went to The Inlet (our favourite restaurant is there) which is only minutes away and he said no he was heading out of town. Our bus never showed. The reception desk suggested that we had missed the bus - we were at the stop on time so that was not the case. It was just annoying. The receptionist shouldn't have been argumentative and the bus driver should have used a little commonsense and extended some hospitality and given us a lift to the Inlet. It wasn't busy and he had room - 3 minutes out of his way or less wouldn't have caused a problem. Getting home was equally as frustrating - after waiting half an hour we started to walk back when the taxi finally showed - same one who dropped us there. Apparently there are onl 4 taxis in Port Douglas - I thought Perth was bad for taxis !

Anyway that aside - we had a pleasant comfortable stay. The pools are beautiful - would have loved to have stayed at least two days to enjoy the pool and the nearby beach. My husband enjoyed the breakfast said it was great, they have a chef on hand to cook eggs etc to your liking which is always good. I had a sleep in but enjoyed the pastries he brought back for me.

Shame it wasn't busier - it really is a nice Resort albeit in need of some renovations which are happening. If there were more people I'm sure the shuttle bus would sort itself out - I would hope so anyway.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SMPDPR, Lachlan Walker, Generaql Manager at Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear Sharon A

Thank you for your review and so pleased you would have liked to stay longer. Early December is a quite time for us just prior to the busy festive season. We certainly appreciate your feedback and value the time taken.

Sharon A , as a valued local resident thank you for sharing your wonderful feedback and please reach out to us via the above email hotel link when planning your next short stay as Annie Grant, Guest Services Manager will be delighted to assist with your reservation. Alternatively do click on the above hotel deals icon / link as the best available rates and specials will always be found directly here at the Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas website and via our reservations team.

All the best for the upcoming Festive season

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We spent last week end at the hotel and overall had the best time.
The resort was quiet and peaceful but a little tired which is understandable at this time. The staff were generally very good and the food was faultless.

• Stayed December 2012
SMPDPR, Lachlan Walker, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Broadwatercouple

Thank you for your review and so pleased to read that you enjoyed your break. The chefs will be delighted to read your found the food faultless and I note the resort was peaceful, just prior to our busy festive period. Your high scores on our location, cleanliness and service is valued, thank you.

Broadwatercouple, as you may be aware we are underway with our new owners on the refurbishment plans for the resort and have completed a prototype façade in a new colour scheme, some structural changes with terrace and or balcony area and now working on a truly beautiful, timeless and luxurious prototype rooms for the future. As this is a vast resort nestled between two world heritage sites located on 145 hectares of land the project is vast and requires careful planning and orchestration due to our remote location amongst other factors. In the meantime the resort is upgrading all our beds to the renowned Sheraton Sweet Sleepers, new oversized Flat Screen Televisions, iPod docking stations, wireless and movie system, new pool furniture amongst other upgrades to ensure your continued comfort. Our ongoing repair and maintenance program around the resort will some work on the façade and planter window boxes and carpet replacements in the interim.

Thank you for sharing your kind thoughts and please reach out to us via the above email hotel link when planning your next trip as Annie Grant, Guest Services Manager will be delighted to assist with your reservation. Alternatively do click on the above hotel deals icon / link as the best available rates and specials will always be found directly here at the Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas website and via our reservations team.

All the best for the upcoming Festive period

Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

A fantasic legacy from a corrupt entreprenuer. I don't think the Mirage has been touched since it was first built which is a shame. The resort was ahead of its time but it seems that time has caught up and passed this iconic resort.
Absolutley terrible service across the whole resort, badly in need of maintenance (more likely an entire renovation). The general facilities were unkept and in some cases just filthy. The food - forget it, eat elsewhere.
The best part of the resort was its huge very well kept gardens and lawn, but then again most resorts have nice landscaping.
Might go back if they ever do it up and bring it into the 21st century.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
SMPDPR, Lachlan Walker, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Ian J

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your personal thoughts from your recent stay here with us. We are pleased to see that you enjoyed our ideal location right on Four Mile Beach, that the resort was large and well kept gardens and lawns, however disappointed to read of the other aspects of your stay.

As I have mentioned other replies to our valued Tripadvisor guests we are underway with our new owners on the refurbishment plans for the resort and have completed a prototype façade in a new colour scheme, some structural changes with terrace and or balcony area and now working on a truly beautiful, timeless and luxurious prototype rooms for the future. As this is a vast resort nestled between two world heritage sites located on 145 hectares of land the project is vast and requires careful planning and orchestration due to our remote location amongst other factors. In the meantime the resort is upgrading all our beds to the renowned Sheraton Sweet Sleepers, new oversized Flat Screen Televisions, iPod docking stations, wireless and movie system, new pool furniture amongst other upgrades to ensure your continued comfort as well as ongoing repair and maintenance program around the resort.

Once again thank you for sharing your thoughts, please reach out to us via the above email hotel link when planning your next trip and Annie Grant will assist with your reservation. Alternatively click on the above hotel deals icon / link as the best available rates will always be found directly here at the Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas.

All the best for the upcoming Festive Season

Regards

Lachlan

Been to Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort? Share your experiences!