Most of our fellow guests were late middle-age to elderly or families with very young children. They did not appear to be unhappy with the services provided. So perhaps it was our lack of research into the demographic this resort catered to that lead to our unhappy experience.
If you are young (or early middle age) I would advise against staying here unless visiting for a special event such as a wedding or conference on the site.
My husband and I stayed there for six days last week (late November) on an impulse. We trusted our travel agent to book us an appropriate package as we were too tired to be bothered scrawling through internet offers. Unfortunately, most of the staff onsite were not aware of the myTime specials that were apparently part of our package, and it was too much hassle to haggle with surly 20-year-olds who did not want to listen.
We stayed in a Lagoon room which was dirty, with splodged paint spots on the walls failing to cover the decay. The carpet was ripped and dirty and many surfaces were caked with dirt. The restaurants and bars advertised on the resort's site were not all open. We were informed (by a very pleasant waiter) that this was due to low occupancy. However, when I rang the front desk to complain in the late, late evening about hip-hop music shaking the room we put in - directly across from a function site - I was told this was due to full bookings. Loud music does not normally bother me, I have Iived in Kings Cross and Newtown in Sydney for most of my adult life. But it does bother me when I have paid good money for a getaway with my husband and get put in this room despite having seen about 20 other guests all day. Surely they could have found something better in a resort this large?
Another disappointment was that everything was closed by 8pm most nights and room service was too exorbitant to be bothered with. The so-called swim-up bar is a furphy, so do not bother. During our stay, at least, it was filled with weeing children.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Hotel Port Douglas
- Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Hotel
- Sheraton Port Douglas
- Port Douglas Sheraton
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beachfront Resort with guest rooms and private Villas on 4 mile beach, convenient to Great Barrier Reef & deep-sea fishing. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Starwood APAC, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Venere, Hotels.com, Otel, Olotels, Stentorian NV and HotelsClick so you can book your Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.