“Love the location, but please spend some money on the place!” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort to your Saves list
Sheraton.com Expedia.com
Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Port Douglas Road | PO Box 172, Port Douglas, Queensland 4877, Australia   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
50% off room rate
Ranked #31 of 46 hotels in Port Douglas
Sydney
“Love the location, but please spend some money on the place!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We've been coming here for the last 5 Years, and I was truly hoping that when we arrived this year that the upgrade would have been a lot more evident, alas, arriving at the front gates was an indication that not a lot had changed.
Upon arrival at front desk, the staff appeared to have been having a bad day. I don't think any of them cracked a smile. Arriving at our room we realised how little had changed. Its still "pink" and still has all the old Pixie trimmings of corroded gold tapware. All rooms do however now have the Sheraton Signature beds - sweet sleepers which really are a beautiful bed and they also all have large flat screen tv's.
We are quite different to the majority of opinions and dislike the ground room rooms as they are lacking in privacy and are far too noisy, especially if you are around the main swimming/play areas and instead always request a top floor room. The particular room type we are given also includes a lovely balcony which is beautiful to enjoy by day and evening.
The room in general though I would have to call "shabby". The carpet as you walk in in worn through and there are marks on the carpets. The carpets in the hallways between the wings is also showing its age badly.
We totally love Sheraton Hotels and choose to stay in them all over the world when we travel, & we would probably still come back here, but, given the renovations at the Sheraton Mirage Gold Coast, I really had expected more on this visit. I may have set unrealistic expectations, but I certainly think that there are too many other places up here in Port Douglas for people to put up with this standard of accommodation for the prices they are charging. (We are unfortunately visiting in school holidays, so the prices are reflective of that time) and this is reflected in the standing the Mirage has in this listing. once it would have been The Number 1 place to stay, now, 30th. WOW, what a fall. I hope it can make it back into the top 10 again, or it may end up a real white elephant. Room 1313, lovely aspect, great privacy - just ignore the carpet.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SMPDPR, Lachlan Walker, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Travellersforever,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas. We appreciate all feedback that we receive from our guests particularly our regular guests. As your review remains anonymous we are unsure of when you stayed, both Annie and myself would have been delighted to meet with you during your stay to discuss your feedback rather than hearing now after your stay.

Our owners are committed to a total refurbishment of the property. This is an extensive project and most be scheduled so that we do not disrupt the peace and quiet for our guests and still maintain the smooth operation of the Resort. Our new Sheraton standard Sweet Sleeper beds, flat screen TVs, iPod docking stations in our rooms and complimentary wireless internet access in our lobby and public areas are all part of the refurbishment which have been implemented in the interim . We are all very excited about what our rooms will look like when the project is completed; I can assure you that they will be stunning and will blend in beautifully with our lush tropical gardens, pools and lagoons. Whilst I note your comment in relation to our rating on Tripadvisor you will note that the resort is amongst 48 lodgings that are motels, hotels and serviced apartments with a rage of pricing from low budget to high end luxury and all these factors are taken into account with ratings scores.

Travellersforever , Once again, thank you very much for your review. All of your comments have been passed to our department heads and they will take up your issues with our staff. We hope that we can welcome you back to the Resort in the future and we'd be pleased if you would reach out to Annie Grant when next making your reservation.

1,249 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Polish first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Loved our 3 night stay here at the Mirage. Yes, it could do with a revamp; some paint on external walls, new carpet etc.. but this is a great resort. Fantastic gardens and pools, large rooms, expansive lobby and dining areas plus a perfect location on the beach-front. The clientèle is definitely more middle class, family oriented than when I worked up here in 1989 but I think the egalitarian Mirage is preferable to the elitist Mirage! Service was fine at all points too.

Room Tip: Garden rooms are as good as Lagoon.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
SMPDPR, Lachlan Walker, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear FitzySyd,

Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort for you stay in Far North Queensland. We very much appreciate your patronage and agree the resort has great bones!

We value your comments regarding our resort and facilities and do hope you will visit us again!

Best wishes

melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I recenetly stayed at the Sheraton Port Douglas thinking I was going to a 5 star hotel. What a dissapointment! More like 3-4 star. The resort is VERY dated. The rooms are small and very tired. The restaurants are overpriced and the food is very average. We waited 1 hour and 15 minutes, to get our main meal in the restaurantand they were not even busy!. Everytime I wanted to order a simple coke for my kids, I had to chase the pool staff for it, and ask 2-3 times (and waited up to 20 minutes, just to get a drink). I ordered a meal at the pool and it came with no cuttlery, which I had to wait another 15 minutes for. This was not a once off, but happened every day. Our room was not serviced properly, they did not even bother changing the sheets on some days. On checking out, the final bill had sereval errors (in the hotels favour). Oveall this hotel is overpriced and represents little value for guests. The staff just don't care! What a waste of money! Buyer beware!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
SMPDPR, Lachlan Walker, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear ChrisT

Thank you for your review of Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas following your recent stay. We are very happy to receive feedback from all our guests and we take it very seriously however sorry to hear via Tripadvisor and not during your stay where we could have taken corrective action.

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. The Resort will undergo a total refurbishment, The mock-up rooms for the refurbishment are truly stunning and we are all very excited about this work being completed.

Chef will be disappointed to hear that you felt our food was very average. New menus for all our venues are being put in place with an emphasis on local exotic tropical fruit and vegetables. Local seafood also forms a large part of our menus as does Atherton Tableland meat and poultry.

I have notified our Director of Food and Beverage of the difficulties you experienced at the Ocean Breeze Bar. She will certainly instruct her staff in what is expected of them by our guests and by our management. Servicing over 6 beach areas with food & beverage delivering to pools and beached around the resort for 1000 guests in school holidays can be challenging at peak times and I am sorry you were inconvenienced here.

We have implemented a ‘green’ initiative with regard to our housekeeping policy. Our guests notify housekeeping staff if they require their linen and towels to be changed by placing a request card on the bed. Many of our guests are delighted to share with us in reducing the use of electricity and chemicals in the daily maintenance of the Resort.

I will make sure that our Front Office Manager knows of the discrepancies in your final account on departure. Your feedback on all areas is most helpful and very much appreciated and I do assure you that the team do care.

Lachlan Walker
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

I was convinced by my husband to write this review. Perhaps to relieve him of my constant moaning.

Our stay at the Sheraton was an enjoyable one! I think it's important to remember we came on a vacation to relax, have fun and to get away from everyday stresses.

However there were a few things that stressed me out during my time here. First the wait! The wait on food, the wait in the morning to be seated, the wait to be served at the pool bar, the wait just to speak to a member of reception most days. Throughout our stay we played a very patient waiting game for the most part!

I don't expect to wait whilst on vacation! That said I'm quite an impatient person. Still surely that's acceptable when dining at a 5-star resort? Some may think so!

Without going into much detail and pointing out every single fault with the lagoons pool bar! I'm just going to say on occasion it got me very frustrated. Terrible service, staff have no idea what they're doing mostly, very poorly organised! The supervisor 'Emma' is most unhelpful as she explains that the staff are doing the best they can!!

Perhaps they are! And the fault lies within the way the staff are managed and the quality (or the lack of?) of training! Just a suggestion!

Having said that they're are some very good, positive staff working at the Sheraton! I'm sure the hotel are aware of who these are! The type of staff who always seem to be smiling, who remember you throughout your stay, who ask how your day has been/or what you plan on doing with it. It is this that truly does make such a difference to our stay.

Speaking of which they're we're 3 staff in particular that I would recommend you get to know if you plan on staying here.

Jay, who will seat you for breakfast of a morning. He is very polite, always professional. And will remember you by name.

If you like the English you will really like Dane, who you will probably see at breakfast, maybe lunch in the main restaurant. He is also very polite, and good to chat to, and nothing seems too much effort.

Anicka. A young German lady also takes the time to ask about how you are. She's very nice and she will have tea and coffee to hand as soon as your seated.

It's disappointing there were some minor problems. Generally though we did enjoy our stay. It would have been extra special though should we have not had to wait forever and a day whilst dining round the pool or trying to book an excursion.

Overall it was a good holiday. I think perhaps the 5 star rating is more to do with the facilities though instead of the quality of stay. As the rooms are very tired looking and the staff uniforms are very 90s throw back. In fairness though the pool is impressive and it has access to the most beautiful beach.

We won't be coming to port Douglas next year but if when we do come back the hotel has been updated then maybe we would stay again.

• Stayed September 2012
SMPDPR, Lachlan Walker, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Mrsjonesonvacation

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas. We consider guest feedback to be a gift and as such treat it with great respect. I am very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us, loved the pools and beach. I very much appreciate you identifying three of our staff members Jay, Dane and Anicka whom you encountered at breakfast and our restaurants. I am pleased they demonstrated the “Sheraton way” in their dealings with you. I will make sure that your kind words are relayed to them. On their behalf, thank you. They are all delightful young people and we are very pleased to have them in our employ.

I was however sorry to hear via your review on Tripadvisor that you had some stresses whilst here. Yes, we do go on vacation to get away from all the stresses of every day life and it is most unpleasant to find that stress is here also. I would certainly have welcomed to hear of them during your stay rather than now so that perhaps we could have turned your experience around. We have been exceedingly busy in Port Douglas and at the Resort. We have hosted a number of large conventions along with our regular corporate and leisure guests as well as school holidays. I do apologise for the need for you to wait for service at the Tour Desk, it can be challenging as many guests are looking for extensive information on travel and this can cause delays no matter how many people we have at the desk. The feedback relating to breakfast waiting is surprising as both restaurants are open as well as the poolside and Lagoons terrace. I am pleased that Jay was able to assist here though.

I have shared your comments regarding the Ocean Breeze Bar with our Director of Food and Beverage. She has overall responsibility for the Ocean Breeze Bar and I know that she will make all her employees aware of what is expected of them; not only by the guests, but the Resort also.

Thank you again Mrs Jonesonvacation for providing us with such valuable feedback and I am very pleased that you and your husband did enjoy your stay with us. I hope we can welcome you back to Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas again in the future.

Lachlan Walker
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

We are regulars at the Sheraton. We will also continue being regulars. It is port Douglas' best resort by far. Have read many reviews here from people complaining about how tired and outdated it is. This is just not true. If you can look past the 80's styling (which adds to its character ) you can see that this resort was built as a first class resort with first class fittings and quality.

Extensive use of granite and marble in the rooms, comfortably furnished, spotlessly clean and well maintained.

Gardens and pools are meticulously kept and the staff are plentiful, courteous and friendly.

Being regulars we enjoy a few extra privileges such as welcome drinks and invitations to mgmt cocktails.

The staff are all pleasant and helpful.

Sharon the concierge and Annie the executive secretary go well beyond what is expected and add to the charm of this wonderful hotel.

Management at all levels are clearly visible and active. It shows and is appreciated. Exceptionally well managed establishment that is a delight to stay at.

Will be sorry Togo home but will be booking our next two stats before we leave.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear abbiestar

How delighted we were to receive your feedback online and thank you for this. We appreciate your kind comments and value your return business as a regular guest; thank you.

Abbiestar, look forward to your next visit.

All the best

Terrigal, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We have just returned from a wonderful week in a 2 bedroom villas, and I cannot praise the resort enough ! The villa was luxuriously appointed, well serviced , overlooked the golf course , and was a mere 3 minute walk to the coconut lined beach ! The breakfasts were great, and the staff were friendly and professional. The landscaped gardens were beautiful. We had a smaller pool near our villa to ourselves most of the time . We will certainly book it up for next year , but definately not in the school holidays !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
SMPDPR, Lachlan Walker, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Pam R

Thank you for posting your wonderful review on Tripadvisor from your stay here at the Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas. I was pleased that your found the breakfast great and our team here friendly and professional; thank you.

Pam R, do reach out to us via the above email hotel link just click on the icon and one of my team here would be very pleased to assist you with your bookings and tailor a package that includes some great restaurant & bar offers and note your preference for stays outside school holidays.

Warmly

Melbourne Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Despite being a bit old and needing a slight refurbish, nothing I have seen anywhere has the spaciousness and peacefulness of the large lagoons that almost surround this resort hotel. Small sandy beaches and rock pools make lovely cooling off spots whilst the extensive gardens and golf course makes great walking areas. Water sports are provided for the kids and provide many a laugh. Lunch on the terrace watching a game of volley ball, Dinner in Pescatore Restaurant and a leisurely buffet breakfast all make for a very pleasurable and restful holiday. And this is all only 100m from the beach. We go every year and I hope it may long continue.

Room Tip: Delux lagoon rooms on the groundfloor are the nicest with a balcony onto a lagoon.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SMPDPR, General Manager at Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear jbCAM

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your wonderful thoughts on our resort from your recent stay. It is always so pleasing to ready such great feedback from our valued return guests and hear such kind comments. We are working on the refurbishment plans and will keep everyone updated as we progress.

Jbcam, do reach out to us via the above email hotel link for your next reservation just click on the icon and one of my team here would be very pleased to assist you with your bookings.

Warm wishes

Lachlan

Been to Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas Resort? Share your experiences!