“Nice Resort...but” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Resort Port Douglas

You added Ramada Resort Port Douglas to your Saves list
Ramada Resort Port Douglas
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   316 Port Douglas Rd, Port Douglas, Queensland 4877, Australia (Formerly Mercure Port Douglas Treetops Resort)   |
Special Offer
10% off
Ranked #28 of 45 Hotels in Port Douglas
“Nice Resort...but”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stayed here as part of our club membership and booked a 2 bedroom Deluxe room.

We arrived at about 3pm and the room required it's final check, they took our number and called us right on 4pm which is the resort check-in time.

The room was in A block, the first apartment on the 1st level (ground, 1, 2). It was three hotel rooms turned into a 2 bedroom apartment.

I was disappointed that a deluxe room was placed next to the car park and the main staircase. You got to hear car doors slamming, headlights and people going up and down the stairs. I truly don't understand why a more expensive apartment would be put in this location (The club needs to think about things!).

The apartment:

Firstly it smelt stale, it was really bad, we found the problem was the air-conditioner in the bedroom, it was half falling off the wall, but also had mould growing in it...we used the lounge unit from then on. There was also mould in the ensuite shower drain (I poured boiling water down which seemed to fix it).

Ensuite
Toilet - you can't even sit on the toilet because a wall juts out in front of you and you can't put your legs in. Really poor design, they should have put it the other way around.
Shower/drains - after a few minutes in the shower you can't use the basins (the water can't get away). We also had the drain on the floor spill out onto the floor.

Bedroom
The bedroom had so much space which was great, as it was only two of us in a 6 person unit we put a chair from the crowded lounge room into the bedroom.
The bed was a typical worldmark bed - hard.
The wooden shutters are nice looking but not practical, the lights from the car park were shining through all night, I so prefer curtains with block-outs (this is a common feature in many of my reviews).
The upstairs neighbours...this was the worst part - you could hear the people upstairs doing their business in the toilet - it was so disgusting.

Lounge/Dining
The facilities were good. The TV was placed so high on the wall and to one end of the wall it was like you were suppose to stand in the opposite corner to watch it, I don't know how six people could actually sit around it. Maybe you are suppose to stand and watch.

Kitchen
The facilities were good. We were invaded by these small ants everywhere, any open packets were invaded overnight and had to be discarded. You need to keep anything open in the fridge.
The dishwasher had a button broken off, they fixed this within a couple of days.
Recycling - nothing about recycling, Worldmark talks about being green but where was the bottle, can, paper recycling...this should be at every resort.

Resort
The pool was great, the gardens were nicely maintained. We didn't eat at the restaurant.
Internet - they offer free Wi-Fi at the pool and there are two computers at the check-in area. If you want Wi-Fi in your room they charge for it...geez just give people free Wi-Fi.

I think this place is catered for families, not so much couples.

Room Tip: Avoid block A
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Everybody loves Thai and Filipino friendly service, and many people I know all but fear Australian hospitality staff. This place has got the right idea and must have a terrific staff-training program. Every single staff member was good, and Natalie (I think I have that name right...curly dark hair) at the front desk was just excellent! Bubbly, enthusiastic.. just a pleasure to deal with. After checking in she showed me through the Port Douglas activities and seemed more excited about showing me, than I was about doing them! What a great staff member.

Much of the restaurant staff were European from the likes of Ireland or Scotland it seemed... and an American. They were all good; and I admit that coming from me that is saying something.

The buffet was excellent with delicious Barramundi and salads, sweets etc. However the Sirloin was tough and awful.... A bad cut, it looked like it had been ‘tenderized’ and cooked enough to be like old boots. The Arla-carte menu fantastic. Super seafood combination and big Tasmanian mussels to die for.

Wow what a great resort! Beautifully laid out in a forest setting, great rooms, bathroom, nicely decorated ...not the greatest bed but it was definitely an all round pass for me.

The resort framed a lovely big pool with a very good amount of sun-lounges for many guests. Other than attending a wedding, we just let 3 days drift by, rarely leaving the relaxing poolside restaurant.

Yep I will be back to the Ramada if I am lucky enough to visit Port Douglas again.

If this review has been helpful in any way please click my Helpful button so I know that my review is being enjoyed and is useful, as I only take the time to do it to help other travelers, so this is the only way I can know if I really have.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
RRPortDouglas, General Manager at Ramada Resort Port Douglas, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Good Morning,

It is great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will forward your comments onto to our team. It is very reassuring to know we are heading in the right direction. I hope you can make it back to Port Douglas in the near future.

Warm Regards
Nathan Hunt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Ramada Resort Port Douglas. As we came in we were welcomed by their Cockatoo Bozo. The Ramada was a great place with very nice tropical gardens, a restaurant and a swimming pool. There were very comfortable chairs placed around the resort where you could sit and read a book or the paper. The 2 bedroom unit was very comfortable and clean. The staff was very friendly. From the back of the resort you can walk onto a very pristine and quiet beach. You can walk along the beach to Port Douglas. There are little shuttle buses regularly taking people to Port Douglas. I am very comfortable recommending this great resort close to Port Douglas and very close to the Habitat (bird park) which I can also highly recommend. As we were out most days we did not use the spa or have breakfast there.

Room Tip: I can only talk about our 2 bedroom place which was very comfortable and clean. It did not have a b...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

As we are waiting for our bus to take us back to Cairns thought I'd share with you our stay . Coffee ran out in the room went to front desk to get more and was told thatnext time there would be a charge! Our stay was 11 nights not once was the room serviced if you want clean towels you have to ask. Beautiful place but really needs some work.
Will definitely be back to Port Douglas but not the Ramada this by the way was our 2nd stay at the resort.
Pity, it really does have some potential.
Sue and Fabian

Stayed August 2013
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Where do you start. Well on the positive side the staff are very friendly and helpful and the grounds are beautiful although don't appear to be well kept. However these do not make up for the tired rooms with faulty equipment, the view overlooking the car park and back of hotel next door, no balcony and overall lack of ambiance in the rooms. There is no where to just sit and chat - there is no comfort. So disappointing especially after a lovely time at the Shangri La in Cairns and the resort on Fitzroy Island. We had been looking forward to this part of our holiday and feel let down. We will though make the most of the hire car and look around the area. Not the relaxing holiday planned but staying at the Ramada is depressing.
The food in the restaurant, Treetops Bar and Grill was of such poor quality I don't know why we gave them another chance. Who can wreck a roast. The pork (with no crackling or apple sauce) was grey, in fact you couldn't tell the difference between the lamb and the pork. The beef was over cooked and SO dry. The gravy was watery and mint flavoured. Maybe okay for the lamb but with the other two meats it just didn't go. On the whole very disappointing and what's more it caused my partner heartburn. Not recommended! The club sandwich though was very tasty and the chicken parmigiana was okay. Not so the salt and pepper squid. On the whole, the meals at the restaurant were very second rate. The other major negative is the area put aside for smoking. Stuck in the back corner near the toilets or out the front in the car park. If you are a smoker (and I'm not) it doesn't mean you should be treated in such a manner. Even a couple of arm chairs and a coffee table in the back section would go a long way to improving the situation. The policy of no smoking should be highlighted on the website both Ramada's and Wyndham so that people have a choice. Mind you we did see a few people smoking out their back doors. It's a long way down from the third floor especially in the middle of the night.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor apartment that looks out into the centre. But if you're a smoker, don'...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I have stayed several times now at this beautiful resort. I love the dining area that is very open and has lots of magnificent trees coming up through the boardwalk style open air restaurant . The pool is beautiful and offers lots of shaded areas if you like to stay out of the sun. It has plenty of sunny areas poolside as well. The staff are always warm and welcoming. The restaurant has a small but well prepa red selection of meals at very reasonable prices. This resort is simple,uncomplicated ,beautifully with well equipped enormous rooms. It's not over the top and I think that helps to make it so relaxing. A great place for families especially if you enjoy natural surroundings.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Rooms recently refurbished, excellent bathrooms but soul less, dark dowdy corridors. No balconies, pool and restaurant area, sunlight blocked out by overgrown trees etc. great beach but unusual walk through housing estate! Reception and staff really helpful on tours and restaurants. Have never stayed in a global branded hotel where no visit from house keeping during whole stay. If more towels required you have to go to reception for replacement or toilet rolls etc.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Ramada Resort Port Douglas? Share your experiences!