“A Fantastic Experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Resort Port Douglas

You added Ramada Resort Port Douglas to your Saves list
Ramada Resort Port Douglas
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   316 Port Douglas Rd, Port Douglas, Queensland 4877, Australia (Formerly Mercure Port Douglas Treetops Resort)   |
Ranked #24 of 45 Hotels in Port Douglas
Main Beach, Australia
“A Fantastic Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

My family and I recently enjoyed a stay at Ramada Port Douglas. We stayed at three resorts in the region and this was by far the best. From the moment we arrived to the moment we checked out, all staff, from housekeeping to Reception and the restaurant and bar staff, were extremely polite and delivered fantastic service. Lovely pool deck and gorgeous pool. Perfect for afternoon cocktails.The buffet breakfast is AMAZING.Thanks for a great holiday !

Room Tip: For familes the 2 bedroom apaertments are freshly refurbished and spacious.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
RRPortDouglas, Front Office Manager at Ramada Resort Port Douglas, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear AngieC,
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us. Your lovely words have been shared with the team and they are all delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.
We hope that you will consider visiting again, as we would love to you!
Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can assist with a future booking.

Front Office & Reservations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights and really enjoyed our experience. All the staff were friendly and helpful. Newly renovated rooms were great and the breakfast buffet was fantastic. Highly recommend the restaurant in the resort.. staff and food were excellent. To sum it all up we really enjoyed our stay here and will definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Jose0120,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us, and your kind words are very much appreciated.
We are absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your stay in one our newly refurbished rooms & also had the chance to sample our wonderful Breakfast Buffet!
We would love to welcome you back again in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any assistance with a return guest booking.

Maitland, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Attended a timeshare presentation at Ramada Port Douglas just over a week ago. Not impressed, should have paid for our accommodation rather than we pay them! On arrival, told I was too early to check in (it was gone 2pm). Was told it was 4pm check in yet the paperwork I was sent said 2pm! Parking for cars is woefully inadequate. Unit smelt stale, as if locked up for months. Tried to open one window and it almost fell out. No insect screens on windows. A/C unit in "living area" didn't work properly and was blasting onto the sofa all the time. Main bed was old and WELL sagged. Resort is outdated and shabby. Access into the pool is dangerous. The only rail point has a very deep first step, unsuitable for child access into that shallow point. In the restaurant, girl at desk was foreign and could not understand us, ended up just ordering 2 x coffee + glass of lemonade (which arrived COMPLETELY flat)...............and they want $25,000 to almost $34,000 to buy into this??? For a 20-40 year lease??? Almost $900 a year for maintenance fees???? Are you kiddin' me? During the presentation, nothing was offered as information or proof of any improvements planned for that resort. Extremely poor.

Feilding, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stayed here in September, got a fantastic deal on trademe. When we arrived we were told key would be on the table but it wasnt! so when we wanted to go anywhere we had to take our luggage with us because we couldnt lock the door. This is NOT what we wanted after 7hours of flying! Ladies that ownend the place were uncontactable. we googled the business and found where it said they lived. went around and they had moved but neighbour told us where I can find them. at eclipse hotel. rang eclipe got an unhelpful girl who said the ladies were away but she would text them! after hearing nothing we lugged our bags back inside and went back the next day.. the girl at the other hotel had a key all along! so no need for lugging around bags. other than that it was ok, there were about 10 cockroaches in our room, but they got exterminated and after that only dead ones showed up.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
RRPortDouglas, Front Office Manager at Ramada Resort Port Douglas, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Eva N,
Thankyou for your review on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at Ramada Resort Port Douglas. Ramada Port Douglas genuinely appreciates all feedback as it is used as a tool for quality Management.

You did not stay in an apartment Managed by Ramada Port Douglas.
I regret that you did not have the true Resort guest experience of checking in at our 24 hour Reception and enjoyment of well appointed apartments. I urge you to book direct with the Resort next time you travel to Port Douglas and I assure you that your next experience, should you choose to stay direct with the Resort, will be better than the one you had.
Please do not hesitate to contact us direct if we can be of any assistance.

windaroo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

The Ramada, is an interesting place. If you understand what it has to offer and it suits you, then you should enjoy yourself.
Now the Ramada is very unique, its currently going through renovations .now what's interesting with the Ramada is that out of the 3-400 rooms here about 70 apparently are privately owned. There are 3 long 3 storey high blocks running from front to back of property on each side of the property boundaries.They are painted in a light/olive / camouflage green, which serves its purpose of hiding within the lush tropical/rainforest gardens. Running up the centre of the Ramada are beautiful trickling ponds, swimming pools, restaurants , boardwalks etc , which look stunning. The restaurant and pool area have established trees penetrating through the over head roofing etc which gives the place a unique " eating in the forest" feel.
There is a little walk through the rear of the property through a lovely rainforest, then into suburbia, then onto 4 mile beach. For walking on the beach its a perfect location,
The swimming pool is fantastic, also with the swim up bar, although pool temp colder than the beach.
We stayed in "dryandra" block which over looks the pool. it doesnt have a balcony, although, the air conditioner is required 24/7.
We booked funnily enough through Ebay!.
we stayed 10 nights @ $60 a night!
the Ebay seller is ajlifestylemanagment.
They were fantastic, The only difference is you do not deal with reception, you arrive to your unit with key on the table, and simply leave it there when checking out.
Its basically like renting a unit privately without an agent, therfor save heaps!
Our rooms look similar to others , although had little extras like tablewear /microwaves and very large lcd tv.
If you expect a 5 star resort you will be disappointed. If you expect a 3 star experience you will pleasantly surprised. We ate several times at the restaurant by the pool and found their prices reasonable and the food great. It was a little cheaper than eating in town. We hired a car , so the 3min drive into town was great. Without transport may make things a little more inconvenient, although there are heaps of mini buses dropping people of in town. (one thing, if hiring a car..., dont pay the expensive car excess protection costs, just pay the basic daily car rate and get travel insurance, so much cheaper!!!, most travel insurances have a rental car excess cover built into them! (try covermore)
Most employees at the Ramada are from overseas, quite a few german's at the bar /restaurant. All very good except the australian Matre d with dark hair was good, except her people skills/smiling needed some work.
we stayed for over a week, and the only problem , (which is common in a lot of hotels) was no exhaust fan in bathroom!
we had renovations on our block, but only noticed when leaving the room.

Room Tip: choose room close/ overlooking pool
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
RRPortDouglas, Front Office Manager at Ramada Resort Port Douglas, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Njkmonty,
Your feedback on your recent stay with us is much appreciated. We thank you for taking the time to share it with us.
We are very happy to advise that the refurbishments on the rooms & Lobby are now complete and we invite you back to experience our new Hotel & Apartments.
By booking a stay through the resort you will receive access to all resort services & facilities including the ability to charge back to your room, daily Housekeeping and 24 hours Reception staff here to help at all times.
We do hope you will visit Ramada Resort Port Douglas again in the future and if we can at all be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us direct at any time.

Walnut Creek, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Should really be rated somewhere between poor and average...Here's why:

I stayed at the Ramada Port Douglas in Aug 2012. I was recommended this hotel by a US travel agent who assured me I would be satisfied. ---I can't say that I was.

I received a friendly greeting upon arrival. The lobby is nice, with a resident cockatoo bird. My room was ready when I arrived around 3pm. I was given the ground floor room nearest the lobby. I felt this to be strange...

The room was clean. It had a mini fridge, coffee and tea setup. The bed was horrible, limited padding with broken springs, too few pillows and only a sheet for cover.

The pool is nice to look at, but too cold for my taste. Others swam. The ocean was warmer, but you have to walk about 5 min through a residential area to get to it.

The resort is about 10 min out of town by the shuttle. The shuttle comes semi-frequently, but there's a trick! Two companies operate shuttles (sun palm and coral reef). The sun palm ones come much more frequently (it seems), but I made the mistake of buying a 3 day pass on the coral reef so I didn't want to use sun palm, even though it nearly always came before the other. Each way is between $4 and $4.50, with return costing $8. There is a one day pass for $10, 3 day for $20, and 5 day for $35. (The pass prices are all from coral reef, I'm not sure that sun palm offers passes).

The major drawbacks to this resort are: limited free wireless access (pool, restaurant, bar areas only), $20/d for wireless in room, pool temperature, and then there was the construction. It sounded like they were drilling right into my room. It began at 7am and did not stop all day for 2 days. I complained and reception told me there was no construction anywhere near me after "management investigated." so I "investigated" myself and saw, indeed, the room immediately next door had a renovation sign on it. For the handling of this situation alone I would never recommend this resort. My holiday was disrupted; I could not sleep in, nor nap during the day (hallmarks of a good holiday!) and no compensation was offered.

Bottom lines: Pleasant grounds, but less than satisfying accommodations. The amenities were extremely limited and the location is less than ideal.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
RRPortDouglas, Front Office Manager at Ramada Resort Port Douglas, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Kristinbot,
We appreciate you taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay at Ramada Resort Port Douglas. I am disappointed to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations.
We take your comments very seriously and are investigating further.
In regards to the construction noise you experienced, we sincerely apologise that this disrupted your stay. The works that occurred in the room next to you were completely unscheduled and should never have gone ahead.
We were also been in touch your travel agent as soon as you left so please contact them as soon as possible. I am contactable at anna.cribb@ramadaportdouglas.com.au if you require further information.
I would have really liked to speak to you in person whilst you were at the Resort but never managed to catch up with you, I suspect because you were avoiding being in your room which is completely understandable.
Once again thank you for providing us with this valuable feedback. We invite you to come back to Ramada Resort Port Douglas to experience the wonderful new changes that have been made if you are ever back in the area.

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I recently stayed at the Ramada for 5 nights with my parter in late August 2012.
The front entrance with the resident cockatoo was a nice touch and walking around the boardwalks to your room or the restuarant made you feel like you were in the rainforest i loved it. It's only a short 3-5 minute walk from the back of the hotel to the beach which is great when you want to go and enjoy a glass of red for sunset quickly before dinner. Many of the hotels are further into town and would be a bit more travelling to get to the beach.

Good points:
-The buffet breakfast was the best i've ever had, great range of differant foods and fresh baked goods and always plenty of it there.
-Quick & easy check in and friendly staff
-Close to the beach
-Beautiful surroundings & Rainforest boardwalks
-Good location (If you have a rental car which i'd recommend for anyone visiting port douglas)

Bad Points:
-As we stayed in August the weather was around 25-28 degrees during our stay but this isn't enough to heat the pool. Would have been great if it were heated as it's such a nice and inviting looking pool, basically the reason we choose to stay here but was freezing and didn't get to swim once.
-completely smoke free (apart from a couple chairs near the bar) which would be great for those who don't smoke but for 2 smokers on holiday this was a pain. (Just writing it here as i didn't know until we got there)
-room service didn't restock our tissues for 2 days in a row (i was sick and greatly needed them but was able to get them from the front desk) aswell as other toiletries and milk, sugar, coffees not being replaced daily. no bin in the room was abit of a pain aswell.
-renoverations were quite loud when walking around but didn't notice the noise once in our room, but could be an issue if you're placed closer to them.

It might seem like i didn't enjoy my stay with these bad points but there all room to improve and the good far out weighed the bad and i never wanted to leave! I would recommend this place to friends travelling there for sure.

Room Tip: i stayed in a standard room which was the cheapest only $139 a night including buffet breakfast, but...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Misa O,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. It is very much appreciated.
Your comments are extremely informative and very useful to us in working to improve our service standards here at the Resort.
We will certainly be looking into the issues you experienced and are happy to advise that the refurbishment of the Rooms & Lobby area is now complete.
We invite you to come back and experience our brand new Hotel room & Apartments during your next visit to Port Douglas, as we are positive you will enjoy the improvements made.
Once again we thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and we hope to see you back at Ramada Resort Port Douglas in the future.

Front Office & Reservations Manager

Been to Ramada Resort Port Douglas? Share your experiences!