“Perfect way to see the inner reef” 5 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Expedia
Book a Tour
Ranked #23 of 133 Activities in Cairns
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the Great Barrier Reef aboard Passions of Paradise, the current Australia Tourism Award Winner (Adventure Tourism)Sailing daily, let our friendly, dedicated staff introduce you to another world teeming with exotic fish life, coral gardens, and spectacular views. Visit Michaelmas Cay, and our exclusive Paradise Reef location, away from the crowds.Every afternoon, our bar opens, and guests relax in comfort as we raise the sails and cruise back to Cairns.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Portland, Oregon
“Perfect way to see the inner reef”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We were looking for a day-trip to do some snorkeling on the reef. The tour through Passions of Paradise was exactly what we were hoping for in a smallish boat. The employees were very friendly, knowledgeable, and were clearly experienced. Everything went amazingly smooth including the provided lunch (which was much better than anticipated).

The two locations where they take you to snorkel/SCUBA are teeming with coral/fish, and we even encountered a large turtle. I've been told that, to get anything better, a trip to the outer reef is necessary.

• Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Absolutely loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

It's a relatively small boat but plenty of crew on board so we got plenty of attention. The crew were very friendly and helpful. My mum doesn't swim very well. They offered the free guided snorklling tour. One of the crew took my mum and another lady out for a snorklling tour using a lifering. My mum was very happy!!

Two snorklling sites were great Michaelmas Cay and Paradise Reef - they are different but both beautiful and easy to swim around. I can't really compare them to other outer reef sites becuase i haven't been to others. but i am sure these two would be just as good if not better.

Lunch was pretty good too. Plenty of afternoon tea, biscue, chees...

You can also hire underwater camera on the boat, It's cheaper than the shop next to the reef terminal. That one is a rip off.

It was a pity that we only had less than an hour in paradise reef. i wish we could spend more time on both reefs. But i guess you can never get enough of the beautiful experience!!!

Cairns, Queensland, Australia
“Perfect in Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

This locally owned reef trip is as good as it gets. If I could rate it higher than five I would.

It all starts with the great rate for such a small amount of passengers. Also the staff was really attentive and most even remembered me by name, not many one day tours put in that amount of effort. The first snorkel out on their private mooring might be a bit deep for surface divers (about 15-20 feet or 5-6 meters), but for someone who has snorkeled before it was perfect. The boat load is small enough that you never feel crowded on the reef, but large enough that The introductory SCUBA dive is great, balancing teaching with autonomy. The instructor made sure you were completely ready for every step of the way. The food for lunch was amazing, even though they could have just given out crappy sandwiches they made an excellent array including prawns, salads, and two choices of entrees (one vegetarian). The second snorkel at Michaelmas Cay was gorgeous, but much shallower (5-15 feet, 2-5 meters). Amazing variety. I didn't go on the glass bottom boat tour (couldn't stay out of the water that long), but others I talked to loved it. If you're in Cairns and looking for just one reef trip, Passions of Paradise is it.

Pros:
Friendly and Helpful Staff
Great Dive Sites
Good Food
Small Size
Great Price and Value for Money
Good for Any Skill Level

Cons:
I had to get off the boat.

Melbourne, Australia
5 attraction reviews
“Can't think of a better way to experience the GBR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Our day started with a peaceful boat ride out to the reef (mostly spent sunbathing on the deck of the catamaran), then some amazing snorkelling in a part of the reef away from all the crowds, followed by a delicious lunch before a short trip to another gorgeous spot to snorkel from. There was also diving and glass-bottomed boat options for those not keen to snorkel.

A perfect day out in paradise.

Visited April 2012
Cairns, Australia
“SMALLER IS BETTER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I wanted to make sure I took the time to properly thank the crew for the best day out! If you are looking to avoid the crowds of hundreds than this is the boat for you. As a Cairns local I am of the opinion that any trip to the reef is going to be breath-taking and I have done them all. I was blown away by the integrity of the reef that we seen, even more so by the friendly crew that did everything possible to make our day one of a kind. Our safety briefing was conducted by the hilarious dive instructor who got everyone amped up and excited for the day ahead. Between the staff on board and those in the water nothing was missed as the crew took care to let everyone know what was happening around them i.e. sea turtle sightings, huge fish, etc. For those that had their heads under water and missed out they did a big fish feed into crystal clear water to give everyone a good photo opportunity. Lunch was served and it was no ordinary buffet, WOW a great meal cooked by the crew themselves. Before the day ended the captain decided to pull anchor and take us to another reef so we could explore some more. I couldn’t recommend this boat highly enough. This is the type of experience that will leave friends and family envious!