“Good food but terrible service” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Australian, Pizza & Pasta
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Buderim
“Good food but terrible service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

We had to watch our food sit on the front bench for 5 minutes while the staff played with blu-tac before it was brought to us. The food was excellent however the 3 staff that we encountered we all incredibly rude and didn't even apologies for serving is cold food

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

57% Recommend
  • Korean first
Cairns, Australia
“Terrible service and disappointing food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I feel I have to preface this by saying I mostly give positive reviews and I'm pretty easy to please; HOWEVER, I recently had what I would say is one of the worst experiences I have ever had in a restaurant.

To begin with, we were treated poorly the minute we stepped in the door. There was no greeter, so we were unsure whether we were supposed to take our own table or be directed somewhere. We tried to speak to a waitress, but several looked straight through us and just walked straight past as if we didn't exist. Finally we were told we could choose any table by a very nice waitress, but unfortunately we didn't get to deal with her again.

We ordered our food at 6:20 (not sure if this is permanent or temporary but if you order dinner before 7 you get 20% off your food bill). There was no problem here, and the correct discount was applied. My partner ordered a chicken schnitzel and I ordered a steak. She received her meal about 15 minutes later. I wasn't so lucky, waiting until 7:05 for my dinner. I wouldn't have a problem with a 5 or 10 minute difference between the arrival of our meals, but a half hour difference is unacceptable.

As for the food itself: no problem with the chicken schnitzel. A nice big piece of chicken and good chips. The steak was awful. While it was a decent size and cooked correctly, it was mostly sinew and fat. Very disappointing to wait so long and receive an almost inedible meal. I didn't complain because I just wanted to eat and get out of there, but in hindsight I wish I had.

To top off the night, a waitress came to clear our table, leant over us without a word and snatched our glasses and stomped off. Very strange - I wonder how they would have treated us if we'd complained.

This is not the first time I have heard of the waitresses at Rattle N Hum being rude to customers, and after experiencing it myself (as well as a sub-par meal), I certainly will not be returning to Rattle N Hum again. Management need to seriously consider retraining their staff, or replacing them.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Lazy service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I tried this on my first night in cairns, after a long days travel. Being expected to pay up front for a beer was bad enough, but I had to then remind the waitress that I'd ordered it. You order your food at the bar and have to go and get it once it is ready, this means you run the risk of losing your table if you're on your own. The steak I had was chewy and poor. Good location though.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Port Macquarie, Australia
“Great lunch!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

2 weeks ago I dined at Rattle & Hum for lunch. Firstly, the lcoation is terrific - right in the heart of Cairns. The lunch selection was varied - but I opted for the Chicken parmigana with chips & Salad for a reasonable $16. Nothing wrong with the portion size and presentation. All tasted good and friendly service and would definitely go back again for lunch or dinner.

Visited October 2013
“Good value drinks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We went here for a meal. I had a salad which was nice but the chicken tasted like it was cooked days ago, like eating rubber! The drinks are a bargain during happy hour. The staff are very friendly.