“Well situated, but not the best hostel ever” 3 of 5 stars

Global Backpackers Central
9b Shields Street, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia   |
Ranked #56 of 83 Specialty lodging in Cairns
sydney
“Well situated, but not the best hostel ever”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed there for 4 nights.
We were in a 4 bed dorm. They are bunkless so this is a good point, everyone sleeps in a good bed. They just give you one sheet, no blanket. The 3 first night, it was very cold as they always leave the air con on, and you can switch off by yourself so it is annoying. We asked the reception to turn it off as they didn't want to give us blankets, but they couldn't even turn it off!!!! Finally, for the last night they gave us a blanket !
Rooms were very dirty, they don't vacuum under the bed, we found some clothes which weren't ours.
The hostel is pretty quiet which is good.
Bathrooms are TERRIBLE. Toilets are cleaned once a day i think, this is disgusting and smelly. Showers are cleaned once too, and they are very dirty...
We had a pretty bad experience with the kitchen, we wanted to boil some water, but the cattle weren't working, so we decided to do it on gas, but we needed a lighter to start it BUT we don't smoke.... So that was really annoying.
Location is perfect, 15 minutes walk from the bus station, and the shuttle to the airport stops just in front of the backpack.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

86 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Upon arriving at Global Backpackers at around 6pm, we were given the key to our room. We had rented out a private, as it was my last night in Australia and I wanted to enjoy it and sleep well. We walked into the room and found that the beds were not made, and that there was someone else's puke on my pillow. When I went downstairs to complain, the staff were more concerned with how this could have happened, as opposed to rectifying the situation. The room they finally put us in was not even much better, as the floor was sticky and we found areas that were so dirty we didn't even want to know what happened there previously.

The bathrooms are a five minute walk from your room, and looked like they haven't been cleaned since 2010. They smell like it too. We were extremely disappointed. The only good thing about this hostel was its location.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

The hostel is in a really good location, and the room I stayed in was pretty decent except that they don't sweep under the beds which isn a huge issue but annoying when your store something under the bed and it comes out covered in dust bunnies. My bed was petty bad though you. Uld feel every spring in the bed jamming into your back and my had a huge dip in he middle from wear and tear. But My main issue was with the washrooms. Over half the time I woke up in the morning with a raging piss in my bladder that threatened to make my bladder explode to go and find that both toilets were being cleaned at e same time. So I had to just wait and try to not pee my pants. I get they have to be cleaned, but they should leave at least one open for people to use. Then when the cleaner was finished I went in and it looked like the only thing she cleaned was the counter tops. Im pretty sure she never once cleaned the toilets properly while I stayed here(1week) and the toilets always had a bad smell. Once she left a used bandaid in the shower and wet hairs all over the floor. I lifted up the toilet lid one time after she had been in there and almost threw up, no wonder it smells in there! Other than the bathrooms, I felt reception was quite nice and helpful, and they give you a dinner voucher for pjs which gives you a cheaper meal. There's lots of seating on the patio and then kitchen was clean. It can be a bit noisy because you can hear everything that's going on in the hallway echo into your room. So it's not the worst I have ever stay at but cleanliness could use improvement.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

I stayed in a 3 shared room (not even the cheapest) and just wanted to leave the next morning.
After me and my friend checked in nobody helped us finding our room, kitchen or the toilets. My friend had to change her bedsheets on her own, because they have been used and dirty. I should have checked mine too, old blood everywhere
The hostel is not very social and the fact that you are not allowed to drink alcohol makes it very hard to meet people and for example the balcony closes at 9 even worst. You have to walk all the way out to get some air. (No alcohol, still a really noisy hostel and it still smelled like piss on the hallway at night)
The staff at the reception reacted really rude about our problems.
In the end i can say that Global Backpackers Central is the worst hostel i have been to so far.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

Stayed at a private double, which was clean, with a good fan and aircon. If you are looking for a quiet place to stay, this is not for you as the rooms are right at a main hallway and you can hear everything as all noise just echos. Balcony was nice and the location is right in Cairns so it's easy to get to everything (pubs, woolworths etc). Plus they give vouchers for 50% of meals at a local pub which was good.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Airlie Beach, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

The location is really good, close to the main street, convienent, outside already is the pick up/ drop off point of the tours.
Staff is welcoming and helpful. I stayed in 8 ppl mixed dorm, bed already made with pillow and duvet. if something could be improved, that must be the cleanliness of the room, hope the staff would sweep the floor or pick up the rubbish in the room.
I would reccommand my friends to choose this backpacker.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Buenos Aires
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Very nice and clean hostel in a perfect location in Cairns. I stayed in a 3 bed dorm with a/c and proper beds (not trunk ones)

The only annoying thing was that the clean up time of the kitchen was in the morning at breakfast time

• Stayed May 2014

Been to Global Backpackers Central? Share your experiences!