“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Cairns, Australia
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I must admit when we dined here for lunch I wasn't expecting too much. It seemed like a kind of cheesy tourist restaurant capitalising on classic Aussie stereotypes.
We ordered the lunch specials (duck spring rolls and pasta with mussels) and were extremely pleasantly surprised.
The ingredients tasted fresh and spring rolls were clearly hand made and very tasty.
Service was prompt and friendly and the view over the harbour was priceless.
The lunch special on the other hand was a very reasonable price, under $20 for meal and a drink.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
Cairns, Australia
“Stunning food at Dundees”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The choice of food was excellent, prices were great. Location was stunning over the water. Have been back a few times and have never been disappointed

Visited January 2013
Queensland
“Best Waterfront Waterfront Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Dundees have an excellent lunch menu which is reasonably priced. The food is good and the staff and management are most attentive. The Seafood Platter is a winner with mud crab claws, and a good variety of other seafood. It is pleasant to have a lovely view of Cairns Harbour while dining.

Visited February 2013
Worcester, MA
“Best Seafood Chowda”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We are from New England, USA and Dundees has the best seafood chowder we have ever had. It was so good that we went back a second time and it was even better. They also had great oysters, softshell crabs and prawns.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
geroge4982
“Great food, average service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Went there twice last week on my days off because I was craving the oysters after the first time which was two days earlier. My first experience was with two of my girlfriends and the food was fantastic, yet service not of matching quality. It wasn't horrible by any means, just unattemtive and no eye for detail. With the quality of food, and the price (over 200 for three of us at lunch) the service levels should be up to par. That day we all split a dozen of the chefs choice oysters (natural with seaweed, wasabi mayo and an amazing ginger shallot dressing) which were incredibly fresh and addicting making me order an additional half dozen by myself, and then my girlfriends had lunch specials while I had the chilled bugs and prawns (I had first ordered the chefs choice main which was listed on the board as yellowfin tuna, but was told it had been changed to a 250 gram rump steak). My meal was amazing anyway and my friends were satisfied with theirs as well. We then all shared a trio of desserts. Throughout the meal we were often waiting for plates to be cleared or drinks offered but the guy serving us was friendly. Once we got our dessert we were ignored and left to chat which was all good until we were ready to leave and had to hunt someone down to get our bill. Once we received it we had to go to the front and find someone to cash us out. When we asked to split the bill two ways we were given a rude response by the manager as if it wasn't possible, but I showed her how to do it in their system as we use the same one at my work and this shut her up.

As I said unreturned again two days later. This time was for lunch as well but on a Tuesday, so it wasn't very busy. I had the exact same meal except with my own dozen oysters (same chefs choice which I was happy about, and still with chefs choice main listed as tuna but unavailable). Being a slow time the service was even more lacking then when they were a bit busier on Sunday. We waited at the door for ten minutes before walking in further to be seated, and then for our drinks for fifteen minutes (a beer and a glass of wine which we eventually had to inquire about before they were served, wine being wrong but I didn't complain). The girl who served us was a friendly Japanese girl who I believe must have been a runner. She didn't have knowledge about anything on the menu but at least made a bit of an effort unlike the other people walking around aimlessly. My boyfriend liked his ribs and brushetta and because I am hooked on the oysters we will return again.

• Visited February 2013