“The Northern Nightmare!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Northern Greenhouse

You added The Northern Greenhouse to your Saves list
The Northern Greenhouse
117 Grafton Street, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia (Formerly Shooting Star Apartments)   |
Ranked #8 of 84 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Dublin
“The Northern Nightmare!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2007

We decided to stay at this hostel as it's overall appearance was nice and the location was excellent. When I called in, a friendly guy (1 of only 2 friendly ones!) showed us the room and it was lovely. Overall the hostel itself is of a high standard, that's not the problem at all, it's the staff. I have honestly never come across such an obnoxious bunch of people in all my life. The way they treat their guests is unreal. False smiles for their new arrivals and then turn around and acuse others in the wrong. It's a joke!

Word of advise to the manager, sort out your staff and it could be one of the best hostels around!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The staff!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NorthernGreenhouse, Guest Relations Manager at The Northern Greenhouse, responded to this review, August 7, 2011
Dear Honest_Girl 26,
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay at our hostel. Can you please e-mail me directly at questions@friendlygroup.com.au so we can resolve these issues. Thank you again for the feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Gifu
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2007

I stayed there for 5 days.
When I checked in, receptionist messed up and was so apologist for that but other staffs were kind.
Room was clean and facilities were good.
Location was also very good!
But backpackers had a drinking spree until late at night and I couldn't get good sleep.
Considering the reasonable rate, I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2007

I had booked 2 rooms - 1 for my parents who were visiting Australia and the 2nd room for my boyfriend and I. When I made the reservation there was no mention that this motel was now a backpackers. Pickup at the Cairns airport was also discussed and arranged. However, on arrival at Cairns airport there was no pickup and we had to ring them to remind them. Only when the minibus arrived did we realise that our stay at the Shooting Star Apts would now be a stay at the Northern Greenhouse Backpackers. On arriving we found that most of the motel has been converted for backpacker use with a few private rooms still available (this may be to satisfy prior reservations as the changeover seems to be quite recent). The rooms were clean and the staff extremely friendly. However, please be aware that this is not budget motel accommodation, it is a backpackers. A very good one but not quite what I had in mind for my parents stay.

• Stayed August 2007
Sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2007

We stayed at the Greenhouse in Melbourne and this is the newly opened
sister hostel called the Northern Greenhouse. The location is ideal, just down the road from the massive Gillivers backpackers.

We stayed for 7 days and got a weekly rate making it really good value for money but i'd recommend paying that bit extra becuase it really is that good.

The free breakfast each morning consists of as much cereal, toast, tea and coffee as you want. Also you get half an hours internet each day which if you had to pay for seperately would soon mount up.

The lady in reception was so friendly and honest about all the trips you could so.

The rooms themselves were 6 share and everything is brand new. Each room has its own en suite bathroom and a sink and fridge/freezer in the room.

there is also a medium sized pool but unfortunately the weather wasn't great so we didn't use it but in the town is a man made lagoon
that you can sunbathe around anyway.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2007

350 AUD for 4 nights through wotif.
Initially we booked a double room but the reception messed up the reservation (they said so, we didn't) and did not expect our arrival. Thanks god there was one family room avaible so we had a very big room at no extra charge. Of course. This is enough to say that the staff was very kind and did everything possible to make our stay a seedless one.
The room was ok with neutral decoration. Nothing to hate or love, it was fully functional, that's all.
The location is midway between the lagoon and the big shopping mall, so everything was within walking distance.
Well, no particular charm at this motel, but very convenient and nice staff. Free internet when reception is open.

Stayed May 2007
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2007

July 22, 2006

My wife and I spent 8 nights at this accommodation. Having cancelled a prior booking at another hotel, based on poor reviews, this was exactly what we were after. It is in the heart of Cairns and its cafes, pubs and restuarants. It was clean, included a kitcehnette for a quick breakfast each morning, and provided secure parking in the courtyard. There was some noise from construction work on an adjacent multi-storey building, but we were rarely home to be disturbed! The young staff were courteous and friendly. They also gave us a discount - pay for 7 nights, stay 8 - I think we paid A$78 a night.

Cairns is a wonderful holiday destination in winter. There is just so much to see and do in and around this city. We visited Kuranda a number of times. Did the other tourist trips as well - Palm Cove, Daintree, Port Douglas, snorkelled the Reef, and (don't miss) the botanical gardens. However, for us the pick of the attractions are the rainforests in the region. Just walking in these rainforests invigourates the soul! The beaches don't compare with our S-E New South Wales beaches, but then who wants to hob knob with crocodiles anyway!

• Liked — Cleanliness, tiles rather than carpet, value for money, homely.
  • Disliked — Nothing really.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Kells, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2007

I stayed here for a week in January 2007 and enjoyed it. The duty manager was helpful from the start, giving me directions and recommendations on how I get to the apartments from the airport. I was a bit early so they hurried up getting my room ready (room 12, loved it!) On arrival, the manger gave me loads of helpful, knowlegable unbiased info on what to do in the area which was a great help during my stay. My room was huge, really clean, everything worked, had a well equipped ktchen, a really comfy supersize bed, big bathroom, fresh decor and a fantasic aircom unit. In my opinion, this is a well above average motel type accommodation, in a quiet area but within 5mins walking distance to the esplanade/shops etc. The pool & BBQ area is small but lovely. I would reccommend this place to anyone looking for clean, well kept, self catering accommodation in a relaxed atmosphere with lovely staff.

Stayed March 2007

Been to The Northern Greenhouse? Share your experiences!