“Good value” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Lazy Duck Hostel

You added Lazy Duck Hostel to your Saves list
Lazy Duck Hostel
136 Grafton Street, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia (Formerly Woodduck Backpackers)   |
Ranked #45 of 83 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Brisbane, Australia
“Good value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

The place has a very easygoing and laid back atmosphere and it gets quite noisy in the night time.
The rooms are clean and the toilets as well.
The biggest diaappointment was the cookers, as they were all broken for couple of days and couldn't cook anything. Other than that, the location is very centric and the staff is nice as well.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
townsville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Bed bug, mattress is on the floor in the "triple private room", which you can only enter after you walk across the junk in a 8 bed dorm, and you share the toilet and shower in the dorm. No aircon, no wifi in 95% of the rooms, no chair and everyone sits on the balcony which is also the corridor. in the dorm I think 5 guys share 2 fans...

• Stayed January 2014
Cambridge, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

After organising my room with Cindy, who couldn't have been more friendly, I arrived off the nightbus absolutely shattered. They don't offer pick up so had a 15 minute walk. The hostel is pretty easy to find once I had my bearings! The night 'manager' was pretty rude to someone who clearly just wanted to get settled. It just got worse. The room STANK. There was rubbish and stuff everywhere. I was too tired to care at the point. Luckily I had day trips booked everyday I stayed here so didn't have to spend too much time in this dump. There's no communal area so they sit along the corridor, smoking weed, listening to music, watching films til late in the night (the night manager seems more bothered about his day job in the travel agent then shutting everyone up at 11AM) the kitchen is gross. No cutlery or bowls. Had to wash some up to use. Then breakfast consisted of stale cornflakes and warm UHT milk. Gross. The free meal vouchers they give you for the woolshed are good. That's about the only positive thing I can say. The guy in the bunk below me checked out and the sheets weren't changed, they had stains. The ensuite was constantly flooded, no soap to wash your hands. I think I had long termers in my room, who were quite rude when I keep the door open to let some fresh air in (in hope it would remove the smell). The staff (apart from Cindy who was away) are rude jobs-worths who get a kick out of being awkward just for the sake of it. You'd have probably had a better (and quieter) stay at gilligans, and that's saying something!

• Stayed December 2013
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Stayed in this little, friendly hostel for just over 2 weeks and suprised with the mixed reviews on tripadvisor. They are either extremely positive or very negative. Really don't understand how you can be negative about this hostel, I can only assume people who don't like to be social and want to stay at a hotel but don't want to pay for it, make a negative remark. The staff are very friendly. it's a real welcoming place. It is an older building, but kept clean. . I will recommend this hostel to all the cool travelers I meet because I know they will have a great time and it's one of the best deals in cairns with all the free stuff you get.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Cairns, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

My husband and I found this hostel by chance and were lured in by the free breakfast, free WiFi and free dinner offers - $50pp for 3 nights - amazing offer! We should have known it was all too good to be true!

First, the good points: WiFi is very good, and location is great. The free dinner vouchers for the Woolshed is good and definitely helps with tight budgets.

Now the bad: we were put in a 'private triple room' (we wanted a double but none were available so this was offered to us instead) which can only be accessed through a 5 bed dorm. There was no A/C and no fan - we asked for a fan as the room was a sweltering box, but apparently they didn't have any left! The mattress on the beds is just foam so has absolutely no support and has also seen much better days; it's ripped in several places.

I found our room was literally crawling with ants, but having been travelling for a few months we thought we would cope with it. When trying to get to sleep I got pretty grossed out by what I thought were the ants running all over the mattress - until I turned on the light and found they were bedbugs! It was absolutely disgusting - the mattress was literally alive with them! We ended up sitting outside until the night manager came along and offered to find us another bed; one of the two beds also had bedbugs so we both slept on the one single bed.

In the morning my husband complained about the bedbugs and was first told that they are a common problem in Queensland! To be fair we were offered another room, but we refused as we had already seen more bedbugs on other beds when we were moved overnight. We were then offered use of the tumble dryer to kill the bugs off our stuff, and had to spend all day boil washing (by hand - we weren't offered the use of the washing machine!) and tumble drying all our things to try to remove all traces of the bugs.

The most insulting part of this whole fiasco was when the member of staff kept walking past us making patronising comments, and then decided to imply that we had actually brought the bedbugs with us!

Thankfully we were refunded our money in full, but for our first night in Cairns this was a nightmare. We are both covered in bedbug bites and some of our gear might be ruined by the boiling temperatures we had to use to kill the things.

Insects, bedbugs, hideously itchy skin, no fan, patronising and unsympathetic staff - definitely not worth the stay! Avoid!

Room Tip: Simple - go elsewhere!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

I can't even describe in words what good a place this is. I spend 4.5 months of my travels here. And all I can say that they were the best part of my travels. Besides all the usual like free wifi and free dinners there is more going on in that place. It's the people, it's the weather, in short you feel at home. I learned so much there from working as a nightmanager.
I have so much respect for Cindy the manager. Having seen other hostels and managers I can tell you that she puts her soul into that place! Maybe even sometimes too much.
I miss that place so so so much. I am so happy I have all these wonderful memories in my head now, which I'll take with me for the rest for my live.

P.s I will save money and go back there to finally see the great barriel reef! So Cindy, expect me back... ;-)

Wooduck I love you!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Many aspects of reviews that have been written on here, is true to an extent. Depending on which room you are in people will walk in and out of your room and people will drink outside.

However with that being said people will only drink outside once a week and it's always quiet from after 11. The kitchen is old and so is the building but the effort the staff put into this hostel is the best I've ever seen. It is always clean, it just needs a bit of an update.

The receptionist (Cindy) is the most helpful person I have ever met. Really gets to know you and makes sure you're well looked after. The hostel gets very heavily discounted trips and would urge anyone to make the most of them while you're here.

You become part of a family at woodduck. I've made some really good friends here. To all those reading this review, don't listen to these snobs slating it. It isn't that bad as what people make it out to be. And this is from someone who has spent his travels in 5 star hotels. The only issue I had was that everyone was German when I first arrived!

But seriously great hostel with great people!

Stayed October 2013

Been to Lazy Duck Hostel? Share your experiences!