“Ethan Truman - Best Teacher & Best Part of Diving Course” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #41 of 133 Activities in Cairns
Type: Specialty Shops, Adventure
Houston, Texas
“Ethan Truman - Best Teacher & Best Part of Diving Course”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

Hey! I took a 4-day open water course at CDC with Ethan as my instructor. Honestly, whatever CDC is paying Ethan, they should double his pay or promote him. He's that good. As an instructor, he was HILARIOUS, helpful, and patient. As a result, the class portion of the course was not as painful or boring. If anything, my cheeks muscles are sore from laughing so much. Book with CDC....and make sure Ethan is your instructor!

Visited April 2014

Asse, Belgium
“Liveaboard - advanced course”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

I had a great time on the Kangaroo Explorer. Very nice crew, friendly atmosphere, good food, great dive sites.
I did an advanced course with Tanya as an instructor and even if I was there on my own, I always had a buddy.
So, if you want to go diving or snorkeling, I highly recommend Cairns Dive Center. Look no further! :)

Visited March 2014
Shellharbour, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Rough seas smooth service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

Had a great time snorkeling with my partner yesterday on the GBR. The weather wasnt very good however the crew from the captain down were great. Everyone was very friendly and generally happy to be working on the boat.

London, United Kingdom
“3 day 2 nights live aboard - adv course”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We had Martin as our instructor on board. Highly recommend it, caters to all levels great instructors and lovely crew. Hard not to go for your advanced open water whilst in board

Dublin-Ireland
3 attraction reviews
“CDC 2day 1night live aboard trip- advanced course, would recommend!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

In summary: loved it- would highly recommend!!
cost: 418 for 2 day, 1 night, + 140$ for advanced course, + 45$ camera (four sessions), 15$ for guide
staff: friendly, knowledgeable, made a big effort to amuse/entertain us and be helpful in any way, my instructor Tanya was excellent
food: fed often and enough, tea/coffee/water always available, pasta/salads/meats
upgrades: can do advanced course if you have open water, can do a free intro dive if snorkeller and 50$ for next dive (unsure re cost of following dives)
equipment: fine, I had no problems, sting suits or wetsuits available, are a bit worn sometimes
accommodation: shared a room with 2 other girls, was a 2 bunked room, had ensuite toilet and shower
divers unless you pay for a guide 15$ per dive or are on a course, you will be diving alone ( albeit with a buddy, but no guide)
reefs: went to three i think, unsure of the names but think they have 6 available to them.
marine life: turtles, barracudas, sharks, fish +++, cool coral, clams etc
the boat: lower deck to dive off, middle deck to get ready, top deck to relax, front deck to sunbathe, smoke (only area you can smoke), has a dining/bar/tv area, library area upstairs

I did a two day, one night liveaboard trip on the GBR. I think the cost was initially 418 dollars. I then added on an advanced course onto my open water which was 140$ and rented an underwater camera for four sessions which cost 45$. So my review covers my advanced course in detail but I try to make it general as well.

I was picked up by the cairns dive school bus at 06.45 on day one. We were signed up and briefed in CDC and then brought over to the ferry which brought us out to the Kangaroo explorer (about a 2 hour ferry ride). We had an introduction to the boat by Max, dive master, and then settled down to lunch. We could see a few turtles from the deck. The weather was beautiful, sunny and hot.

Food generally consisted of: hot pasta, meats and salad. They could prepare vegetarian meals etc if needed. Cake time at 3pm. Tea/coffee/water anytime. Breakfast 7 am, lunch 11am, dinner 6pm. Beers/wines available (6 maximum and must be 8? hours before a dive).

Had our first dive about 1pm, saw a sea spider, a barracuda, lion fish and much more. I went down with Max (dive master) and three others. After the first dive, I decided to do my advanced course, which I could do for an additional 140$. So my second dive was navigation/computers- did some exercises with a compass, swam around a brummie (coral formation), saw sea squirts, sea slugs, blower fish, sucker fish, giant clams, nemos, and much more.

At 7pm I did my first ever night dive (dive 3), which I actually found quite scary but once I got distracted I was fine. Who knew fish slept?! I also experienced bioluminescence for the first time ever (tiny glowing animals, visible on movement, so we hid our lights and waved our arms madly to bring out the light). We then had dinner and a briefing for the morning dive.

We were woken at 5.30am, and we could grab a coffee and some fruit before the first dive/snorkel at 6am. This was my first deep dive (dive 4), so we went down to 25 metres. Tanya, my instructor, brought down some things to play with the pressure effects deep under water, An egg which stays whole under the pressure and could be played with in practically zero gravity, a water bottle filled with air which magically vacuum packs itself deep down and re-expands on the surface and a tomato, which appears purple until a light is shone on it which shows how lights rays are absorbed as the depth of the water increases.

Back for a hot breakfast (beans, mushrooms, toast, eggs) or cold (cereal). And then another dive(dive 5) at 08.30 when I saw my very first turtle up close. He was amazing, about 20years old according to my instructor.

At 11am, I went on my nature dive(dive 6) and was given a four page laminated animal/coral identifier and slate to write on. I was given a checklist of things to look for- angelfish, butterflyfish, anenome fish, reef relationship, something new…

After lunch, the other boat had joined us again to deposit new people and collect us and we were allowed to go in for a last snorkel. This was my first snorkelling on the reef and I loved it because you see a different profile of fish, more bright colours so close to the surface and it's a bit of a different experience. I saw hermit crabs, and was able to see parrot fish right up close eating the reef!

I then showered and jumped on the ferry back to the main land. Was collected by CDC bus and brought back to the shop to collect my advanced cert. card and then back to my hostel where I needed a deep nap after two days of diving….

I really loved my dive trip. I thought a two day one night would be plenty but actually I could have stayed an extra day. I loved it. My instructor Tanya was great: friendly and bubbly, entertaining and warm. She was very knowledgeable and really made the extra effort briefing me and explaining as much as I wanted to know about marine life etc. and pointing out the different animals and telling em their names.

Negatives? The two girls I bunked with, who were snorkelling, felt a little pressured into "upgrading" to diving. They obviously do encourage you to get extra add ons… the advanced courses etc, but I didn't feel pressured into mine which I was happy to do and actually was a very good deal as I was the only person doing it so essentially had 1:1 tuition and guiding.

Visited March 2014