“Reef Encounter, Australia” 5 of 5 stars

+61 7 4037 2700
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: One Great Day at One Great price includes : city bus transfers, 2 spectacular Outer Barrier Reef locations, breakfast, wetsuit hire, 6 hours at the Reef, Marine Biologist Reef presentation, lunch, glass bottom boat, reef levies, afternoon tea your choice of an introductory dive or a certified dive. For people who can’t swim or aren’t confident in the water our friendly crew will take them on a guided snorkelProudly locally family owned and operated.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Reef Encounter, Australia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2007

I went diving for 3 days on the Reef Encounter. It was my first trip to Australia, my first liveaboard, and I wasn't quite sure what to expect. The staff on the Reef Encounter was organized, professional, and dedicated to quality service. The food was outstanding. The weather was rough--very windy--but this did not deter intrepid divers. I had read tons of magazines on diving in SE Asia, but this exceeded anything I had expected. The richness of color in the fish, and the diversity in the corals, were fabulous. I'm an amateur photographer, and it took me a few days to settle down. I'm trying to figure out how to go back, since this started off as a business trip and my company paid for the flight.

8 Thank Diverguy33

• Chinese (Traditional) first
sydney
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Totally satisfied”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2007

A marvellous experience on board the Reef Encounter. It may not be the
most modern vessel, but after all, the goal is to see the Barrier Reef, not lounge in a cabin watching TV. That said, it is very comfortable and stable in the sea, the staterooms are great, and the meals were delicious. But the best of it all - aside from the Reef, of course - is that the crew and the 'hosties' are FABULOUS. Honestly
helpful, always ready to assist and please, and maintaining the highest standard of safety with so many divers in the water. Well done, we'll be back for another cruise!

5 Thank obarbas
belfast
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“compass cruise to great barrier reef”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2007

This was one of if not the best trip I have ever taken as it covered all bases. I took this trip with my 4 year old daughter we were both encouraged to snorkel for a number of hours at the reef, the captain of the vessell entertained my daughter( who is a chatterbox0 for hours, teaching her about the boats, sea etc and even letting her steer. All the staff were very friendly and made the safety talks very interesting ans funny. The day was very relaxing for me and the staff assisted me in the water with my daughter so i got to dive a little myself. The food was tasty and ample. Finally this trip was extremely economical and I just wonder how compass give such an experience with a high number of experienced staff. They even provided free sunscreen and sickness tablets for people who forget!! I would expect to pay double the price for such a trip and cant wait to come back again and bring my family. I encourage anyone considerien a similiar boat trip to use compass.... they are the cheapest... and most definately the best. cheers compass!

14 Thank speckyfoureyes
Cairns
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“My trip of a lifetime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

I recently travelled on a 3 Day / 2 Night overnight reef trip onboard the Reef Encounter in Cairns.

The rooms onboard this overnight dive and snorkel vessel were large and very well presented with private ensuites. The food was great and as good as you get in any restaurant. The crew were very helpful and couldnt do enough to ensure that my time onboard was the greatest.

It surprised me to discover how large the vessel was. Complete with onboard Spa!

The diving locations were fantastic and I will never forget the experience of swimming with turtles.

All in all, I cant wait to visit the Great Barrier Reef onboard the Reef Encounter once again.

7 Thank ReefLady
Williams, Arizona
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Ocean Spirit Cruise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

We did this in Nov 05 (sorry so late) LOL and this operator was the best of the 2 we did. They have something for everyone and the boat is huge with a huge sundeck. It has an indoor "dry" are which has a bar (you can run a tab) and the lunch food was great. If you are diving or doing an activity you can let them know and they will save you a plate. The staff is awesome its about 1 staff member for every 15-20 people. Our dive guide was Mike he was great. They have a boat photographer as well who takes your pictures underwater and around the cay. The cay is part bird sanctuary so they have a naturalist you can do a walk with. You can also snorkle with a marine biologist. And they have a huge area for snorkeling and there is tons of stuff to see. They even let you hold some of the non harmful critters if you like. Its very safe and well organized. They also have a semi sub with glass bottom windows for those who don't want to get wet. Complete with guide that narates. Don't go if you get clausterphobic. The only bad thing is the one we went on the air went out so it got a little warm but it was all good. Ocean Spirit is worth every penny! the pictures in on their website say it all.
oceanspirit.com.au/

Also check out my australia photos at
pbase.com/dragonflylady